What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jeff Janis (1 Viewer)

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel's Michael Cohen and Bob McGinn agreed on their Packers Podcast that third-year WR Jeff Janis has had a "disappointing" training camp so far.

It's been the consensus among beat writers from other Packers media outlets, as well. McGinn did suggest Janis may be more of a "gamer" than practice player, and that Janis' performance in Green Bay's preseason games carries more weight than his play on the practice field. By all accounts, Janis has dropped too many passes and still struggles to get on the same page as Aaron Rodgers.

Source: Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel

Jeff Janis is listed as a third-string receiver on the Packers' initial depth chart.
Most notably, he is listed behind both Davante Adams and Jared Abbrederis. By all accounts, Janis had not had a good training camp, and it is becoming increasingly unlikely he carves out an offensive role. Adams seems like the odds-on favorite to open the season as the No. 3 receiver.

Source: Packers.com 
Aug 9 - 8:29 AM

Could be motivation, depth charts now aren't a big deal. Where he plays on friday may be though.

Nelson said Janis, who has had a quieter camp than Adams and Abbrederis, has made significant progress in his quest to win Rodgers' trust and has shown a better understanding of the system this summer.

"I think he's confident. To me, he's doing a great job of understanding what needs to be done and taking the coaching and working on it and having the comfort level," Nelson said. "You can see him taking the coaching points, whether it's from Aaron or Luke [Getsy, the team's receivers coach]. You see it out on the field. So that's a positive on all aspects."

As for Janis' progress with Rodgers, Nelson replied, "It just takes time. It's consistency again. It's not one day, it's not one meeting, it's not even one week. It's week after week after week, year after year after year."

Nelson has been impressed with what he has seen from Adams, who struggled last season after taking over for Nelson in the starting lineup and battled ankle and knee injuries throughout the year.

"He looks good. I think he's playing with more confidence, playing with more speed -- and playing healthy, which makes a big difference with him," Nelson said. "But again, it's the consistency factor with every play, you've got to make it."

Janis is better in games than practice but not what Rodgers likes. He could end up a special teams pro if he doesn't step it up.

He's Bill Schroder with out the football skill.  He's a great special teams player so maybe that saves his bacon this year.

Anyone starting Janis this week assuming Cobb is out?
I think you posted in that WW week 9 thread. I started him last second when Ty was declared out. I don't like that he only saw 4 targets against the Falcons despite playing a ton of snaps. They threw the ball a lot (Rodgers was their leading rusher) and still didn't get the ball to Janis much.

The Green Bay Press-Gazette's Ryan Wood believes it's "unlikely" Jeff Janis will ever develop "significantly more as a receiver" in Green Bay.

The fantasy community has long been enamored with Janis, but entering his fourth season, it's probably time to give up the ghost. Janis had a monster playoff game in Arizona a couple years ago but has otherwise managed a career 15-188-1 line in the regular season and is bringing up the rear of the Packers' depth chart heading into camp. Geronimo Allison is the favorite for No. 4 duties. Janis turned 26 last month and is in the final year of his contract.

Source: Green Bay Press-Gazette

Geronimo Allison is the play here. If any of the WR's ahead of him are out, he has a nice value. Janis is DONE......First round of Cuts. They really should have cut him post draft and given him a chance to find a home. 

Janis needs to be cut, and I'd be disappointed if we let Yancy/Dupre get away and sign elsewhere off the PS in favor of keeping Janis. Both of them have higher potential than Janis IMO
Word is Rodgers doesn't trust him. When Jordy went down it was assumed Janis would step in and be able to step up. He did not, and that was his opportunity. GB has some pretty good projects at WR in this last draft. Janis is currently 5/6 on the depth chart. I don't see GB keeping him around much longer when they have talent in Yancey and Dupre that can do just as good of a job. 

Janis needs to be cut, and I'd be disappointed if we let Yancy/Dupre get away and sign elsewhere off the PS in favor of keeping Janis. Both of them have higher potential than Janis IMO
Word is Rodgers doesn't trust him. When Jordy went down it was assumed Janis would step in and be able to step up. He did not, and that was his opportunity. GB has some pretty good projects at WR in this last draft. Janis is currently 5/6 on the depth chart. I don't see GB keeping him around much longer when they have talent in Yancey and Dupre that can do just as good of a job. 
Let's wait and see if they can do just as good of a job until they actually step on the field.

Let's wait and see if they can do just as good of a job until they actually step on the field.
I am definitely putting the cart ahead of the horse, I can admit to that, but I really think Dupre is something special. I think he ends up being a useful starter someday for the Pack. McShay had Dupre rated as a 1st round WR in his May 2016 published 2017 Mock Draft. His talent didn't just go away, he was very underutilized at LSU

Yancey I think turns into a Davante Adams/James Jones replacement... no way the Pack will be able to afford Adams if he has another big season. Yancey is like a young James Jones on paper. If he has his head into it they could have found a gem there. 

I would be fine if they cut Janis today... IMO these rookies can't do much worse than him and their potential is through the roof. I don't expect them to do anything this year, but 1-2 years from now we could be looking at these 2 as huge draft day steals for Thompson. And we know if Thompson drafts any position exceptionally well, it's WR. I can admit, I usually get over-excited over WRs for the Pack, but if these two have it together between the ears they will turn out to be huge draft day steals. 

I think you guys are severely undervaluing Janis' chops as a special teams gunner.  Near Pro Bowl at that particular niche role.  :P

Can those rookies step in and compete?  I think Janis is heading for Heyward-Bey levels of incomprehensibly lengthy career.

I think you guys are severely undervaluing Janis' chops as a special teams gunner.  Near Pro Bowl at that particular niche role.  :P

Can those rookies step in and compete?  I think Janis is heading for Heyward-Bey levels of incomprehensibly lengthy career.
Yes. This is something I have definitely over-looked. Good point... 

I still think, and I know it's not a fashionable opinion, that if Jordy Nelson got hurt again he would be a great replacement and would end up in that role.

I still think, and I know it's not a fashionable opinion, that if Jordy Nelson got hurt again he would be a great replacement and would end up in that role.
It's not fashionable because a) the coaching staff seems to believe otherwise, and b) observable evidence would tell us that Janis is pretty far away from Jordy.

It's not fashionable because a) the coaching staff seems to believe otherwise, and b) observable evidence would tell us that Janis is pretty far away from Jordy.
I observed that when Janis got substantive action vs the Cards in the playoffs he came up with 7 catches for 145 yards and 2 TDs and looked pretty darn amazing.

http://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2017/07/31/packers-camp-insider-ha-ha-clinton-dix-playing-confidence/526592001/?hootPostID=ad1ae4b96958a5d950f31192a7871f26

"So far in training camp, Jeff Janis is looking like an afterthought as a receiver. It’s early, so that could change if Janis starts making a few plays in 11-on-11 drills. But at least for now, it’s looking like his chances of making the team rest more than ever on his play on special teams. No doubt the Packers still could use someone with Janis’ 4.42 speed to stretch defenses, but through four days of practice, he has been almost invisible in team drills. He has had few passes thrown his way and none of the occasional deep shots he got in training camp last season. Those instead have gone to second-year pro Trevor Davis, who like Janis ran a 4.42 40 at the NFL scouting combine. Davis, Geronimo Allison, draft picks DeAngelo Yancey (fifth round) and Malachi Dupre (seventh round), and practice-squad holdover Max McCaffrey all have been targeted more than Janis so far. On Monday, Janis finally had his first catch in 11-on-11s through four practices, on a short slant from Joe Callahan. But he also dropped a short throw along the sideline after a Rodgers’ scramble. That drew a negative reaction from the quarterback. Janis’ chances of making the 53 in his fourth season mainly rested on special teams anyway — he played on all four core special teams last year, has at times stood out as a gunner on punt coverage, and is an option as a kickoff returner. The first few days of camp only reinforce that ."

Speaking Thursday, Packers coach Mike McCarthy called Jeff Janis a "core player on special teams."

FYI Davis Mattek and Matt Kelley. McCarthy did add that Janis "does some things exceptionally well as a receiver," but Janis' ship seems to have sailed on offense. 'Tis a pity for Dynasty league early adopters. We will always have the 2015-16 NFC Divisional Round.

Source: Tom Silverstein on Twitter 

Aug 3 - 5:59 PM

No, bad players have 15 catches for 188 yards in their 4 year career like Janis does. 
Touche. But he only has negligible career stats because of the wilful blindness of the Packers coaching staff to his talents. The only time they actually played him (when they had to because of injury), he was sensational.

Or you have irrational exuberance 
More likely he held him on his roster far too long and now he HAS to hold out hope. I have a very clear rule for my Dynasty teams You have 2 years to show your at minimum a viable bye week starter if your taking up a roster spot. Now a rookie i drafted, might get 3 if he is waiting for his chance to shine and I have a taxi squad slot available. I in fact had Janis on my squad in a number of leagues, but I cut bait TWO summers ago. 

One of the biggest things a dynasty owners needs to do is be able to say "well I guess I got that wrong", and move on before you waste a roster spot on a player that is never going to be a factor....Janis was a waste of space two summers ago. His big chance was the summer after that playoff game, and he hurt his hand and missed all of camp and he was done. That's how narrow the window is for players what were not highly drafted. 

Last edited by a moderator:
More likely he held him on his roster far too long and now he HAS to hold out hope. I have a very clear rule for my Dynasty teams You have 2 years to show your at minimum a viable bye week starter if your taking up a roster spot. Now a rookie i drafted, might get 3 if he is waiting for his chance to shine and I have a taxi squad slot available. I in fact had Janis on my squad in a number of leagues, but I cut bait TWO summers ago. 

One of the biggest things a dynasty owners needs to do is be able to say "well I guess I got that wrong", and move on before you waste a roster spot on a player that is never going to be a factor....Janis was a waste of space two summers ago. His big chance was the summer after that playoff game, and he hurt his hand and missed all of camp and he was done. That's how narrow the window is for players what were not highly drafted. 
I cut Janis in all my dynasty leagues long ago. All that remains is a grudge about Mike McCarthy for refusing to see what he had in him.

I cut Janis in all my dynasty leagues long ago. All that remains is a grudge about Mike McCarthy for refusing to see what he had in him.
Mike McCarthy and Ted Thompson have a Lombardi Trophy, and arguably are one of the best Coach/GM combos in the business. I'm sorry what NFL team do you work for? I think I'll trust them as judges of talent over you. Janis had ONE good game in his career. 

I will say the Packers have been stacked at WR in training camp for years, so Janis should have probably asked for a trade or release and might have gotten a shot elsewhere but that ship has sailed. 

Last edited by a moderator:
You are literally blind to all the evidence.  You keep clinging to a single game where he caught two magical balls.  It was amazing - but he has done almost nothing  in practice or basically anytime else.

You are literally blind to all the evidence.  You keep clinging to a single game where he caught two magical balls.  It was amazing - but he has done almost nothing  in practice or basically anytime else.
Keep hope Alive!!!!, Keep hope alive!!!

"Don't stop Believing"

100% Guaranteed he will not make the roster, maybe he can land on the Browns when he is cut. Given the youth the Pack has a WR, and the lack of production, Janis will be cut. 
You're probably right, but they will be missing out on the next Jordy Nelson.

You're probably right, but they will be missing out on the next Jordy Nelson.
:wall:  Janis cannot hold Nelson's jock strap!. Let's talk when he actually does something on another team. I'm not worried about it. Thompson and McCarthy have a track record for finding quality WR talent regardless of draft position. If it was there they would use him. 

Ted Thompson is abysmal as a GM, and Ted Thompson is one of the most risk averse coaches in the league. Janis never got a real shot. (well, except that one time when nearly single-handedly won a playoff game for the Pack)

Users who are viewing this thread