What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jermichael Finley's dynasty worth? (1 Viewer)

Wow. Didn't realize his value was that high. Should I try and shop him around?
If I could get a top 3 pick, I definitely would.
The guy hasn't had even 1 elite year yet. And he is coming off a serious injury. If someone would pay this kind of value I would definitely shop him.
:goodposting: :goodposting: :goodposting:
All depends on PPR or 1.5ppr for te's. PPR for te's, i take a top 3 pick over him i believe. In my 1.5ppr for te's leagues, i have 1.01 in one and 1.02 in another and pretty sure the finley owners will NOT take either for him.

All depends on PPR or 1.5ppr for te's. PPR for te's, i take a top 3 pick over him i believe. In my 1.5ppr for te's leagues, i have 1.01 in one and 1.02 in another and pretty sure the finley owners will NOT take either for him.

I'm in a 1.5 ppr league with Finley and I was offered the 1.03 for him. I declined the offer but I thought about it. My team is need of a young receiver but Finley's upside is tremendous. Any of the first 3 or 4 rookie picks are not bad offers at all but I prefer to have Finley.

I'm surprised people have Finley as the defacto guy, and especially so far ahead of Gates.

Gates is 30 years old. That's not old for a TE. Gonzo is 35 and still putting up top TE numbers on a regular basis. That will be 5 years from now for Gates. How far ahead are we looking in dynasties nowadays?

I'm not sure that Gates and Finley are merely a coinflip with each other when they're on the field. I think people are forgetting about just how dominant Gates was when he was on the field last year. It was like people's wildest dreams about what Finley would do, and then multiplied by a factor of 3. I'm still not convinced that Gates wasn't the most valuable player in fantasy football history last year prior to his injury. The numbers he was putting up at the TE position were insane.

This thread got me crunching numbers to check my gut feeling. Here are the averages for the past two years of other top TE, playoffs excluded:Antonio Gates, 26 games, 5.0 receptions per game, 74.6 yards per gameVernon Davis, 32 games, 4.2 receptions per game, 58.7 yards per gameDallas Clark, 22 games, 6.2 receptions per game, 66.0 yards per gameThen I projected Finley's numbers. In four 2010 games, he had 21 rec, 301 yards. Prorated for 16 games = 84 rec, 1204 yards.Small sample size? Let's use his 12 games as a starter. In twelve games, he had 65 rec, 876 yards. Prorated for 16 games = 87 rec, 1168 yards. Time will tell if can indeed post those numbers, but clearly for now the young Antonio Gates comparisons are more than legit.
While we're on the subject of prorating small sample sizes, how about Gates' numbers prior to his injury last year?1350/18 is what those numbers came to.And that was with him trying to play through the injury for 3 of those games which brought his numbers down from the ridiculous 2000/25 pace he was on when totally healthy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gonzo didn't put up top tight end numbers last year. Gates has sustained numerous injuries over the years and has a lot of miles on those wheels. Gonzo was fairly healthy throughout his career. I don't see gates lasting nearly as long as gonzo.

I'm surprised people have Finley as the defacto guy, and especially so far ahead of Gates.Gates is 30 years old. That's not old for a TE. Gonzo is 35 and still putting up top TE numbers on a regular basis. That will be 5 years from now for Gates. How far ahead are we looking in dynasties nowadays?I'm not sure that Gates and Finley are merely a coinflip with each other when they're on the field. I think people are forgetting about just how dominant Gates was when he was on the field last year. It was like people's wildest dreams about what Finley would do, and then multiplied by a factor of 3. I'm still not convinced that Gates wasn't the most valuable player in fantasy football history last year prior to his injury. The numbers he was putting up at the TE position were insane.
I agree with Gates production last year, even if i am a little bitter because i had to start Keller instead of him in my playoff game that i lost because my TE got outscored by 9 points.However, Gates will be 31 by the time the season starts, and probably only has a couple seasons of his prime left. By the way, Gonzos numbers have been dropping by almost 20% in each of the last two seasons. Plus, most TE's dont play at the level Gonzalez did that far into their career.

I drafted him 3.04 in a 16 team 1 PPR dynasty league and was very happy with the value.

If you're a buyer and a believer then now is the time.

He's worth a top 3 rookie pick for sure. As far as player vs player value, he's worth as much as any QB to those who need a top TE for years to come. He's worth more than someone like Stephen Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner. Keep in mind this is dynasty I'm talking about, so age and wear and tear does factor into the discussion. Even MJD is now in the discussion as far as comparing value due to his most recent issues with bone on bone. He's also worth more than Greg Jennings and Bowe.
Boy that's a lot.
Yes, but it's a fact my opinion of life in the fantasy world we live in.
fixed

Finley is not doubt valuable, but he is not worth more than MJD, and probably not worth as much as Bowe or Jennings unless TE's get more points for reception or yardage.
:goodposting: These people are insane.
Dont get me wrong, i like Finley as much as the next guy, but i only hope he can put up 80-90% of the numbers Jennings or Bowe will put up each year. Plus, this isnt 1998 anymore where there were only 3 or 4 TE's worth anything. With veterans like Chris Cooley, Owen Daniels, Kellen Winslow etc. capable of 800 yards and 7-8 TD's. Youngsters like Gronk, Gresham, Pettigrew, Graham etc. all potential 800+ yards 10 TD guys, the top few TEs are not as valaiuble as they used to be.
I gotta disagree with ppr...the advantages of having witten and gates over any other tes last year was huge

He's worth a top 3 rookie pick for sure. As far as player vs player value, he's worth as much as any QB to those who need a top TE for years to come. He's worth more than someone like Stephen Jackson, Reggie Wayne, Frank Gore, and Michael Turner. Keep in mind this is dynasty I'm talking about, so age and wear and tear does factor into the discussion. Even MJD is now in the discussion as far as comparing value due to his most recent issues with bone on bone. He's also worth more than Greg Jennings and Bowe.
Boy that's a lot.
fixed

Finley is not doubt valuable, but he is not worth more than MJD, and probably not worth as much as Bowe or Jennings unless TE's get more points for reception or yardage.
Dont get me wrong, i like Finley as much as the next guy, but i only hope he can put up 80-90% of the numbers Jennings or Bowe will put up each year. Plus, this isnt 1998 anymore where there were only 3 or 4 TE's worth anything. With veterans like Chris Cooley, Owen Daniels, Kellen Winslow etc. capable of 800 yards and 7-8 TD's. Youngsters like Gronk, Gresham, Pettigrew, Graham etc. all potential 800+ yards 10 TD guys, the top few TEs are not as valaiuble as they used to be.
I gotta disagree with ppr...the advantages of having witten and gates over any other tes last year was huge
Yeah, and the advatages of having Clark and Davis the year before were huge.Of course there will always be one, or a couple/few that end up with better numbers by years end, but there are so many guys capable of doing it each year that the top TE's are not as valuable as they used to be.

Boy that's a lot.
fixed

Yeah, and the advatages of having Clark and Davis the year before were huge.Of course there will always be one, or a couple/few that end up with better numbers by years end, but there are so many guys capable of doing it each year that the top TE's are not as valuable as they used to be.
:goodposting: very good point...hmm

There is no way he is worth more than MJD, Jackson, or Turner.
He is definitely worth more than Steven Jackson and Michael Turner. Jackson and Turner will soon be without value in dynasty leagues. I've been offered Dustin Keller, 2011 1.03 and 2011 1.11 for Finley. No way anyone gets that kind of value for Steven Jackson or Michael Turner. Those players only have value to teams contending for a championship and even those teams won't pay much.

Finely maybe talented but the reality is that he didn't do squat in college and hasn't done anything at the pro level. He's waaaaaayyy over-valued at this point! He's nothing but hype!!!

What is finley worth? Nothing, cuz I got Jimmy Graham :)
Finley and Graham are big time sell highs imo. The hype is at extreme levels for both players that you could probably get a ton for either one of them.The reason I say sell is because Finley hasn't been able to stay healthy at the NFL level and Graham hasn't proven anything to this point. I think it's always great to sell players who could potentially be mega busts.

Last edited by a moderator:
What is finley worth? Nothing, cuz I got Jimmy Graham :)
Finley and Graham are big time sell highs imo. The hype is at extreme levels for both players that you could probably get a ton for either one of them.The reason I say sell is because Finley hasn't been able to stay healthy at the NFL level and Graham hasn't proven anything to this point. I think it's always great to sell players who could potentially be mega busts.
I totally agree actually. But I personally wouldn't trade away either unless I was getting an elite TE back and then something on the back end. Or of course an offer that blows me away that I can't refuse even with no other tight ends involved. But since its annoying going on the hunt for a good TE replacement, id rather just hang onto him and hope the reality catches up to the hype

. Jackson and Turner will soon be without value in dynasty leagues. I've been offered Dustin Keller, 2011 1.03 and 2011 1.11 for Finley. No way anyone gets that kind of value for Steven Jackson or Michael Turner.
Unless you're in a heavy TE scoring league, like 1.5 PPR for TE's only, I think you're mental for not taking this offer.

People compare him to Gates, but in his second year in NFL Gates had a far better year than any year Finley has had in his first three years. Finley's best year so far is 55/670/5. I know he has talent. I know he has a very good QB. But...I wouldn't give up more than a 1.5 for him because he hasn't proven he can stay healthy and consistently produce as the TE1 in the NFL.

. Jackson and Turner will soon be without value in dynasty leagues. I've been offered Dustin Keller, 2011 1.03 and 2011 1.11 for Finley. No way anyone gets that kind of value for Steven Jackson or Michael Turner.
Unless you're in a heavy TE scoring league, like 1.5 PPR for TE's only, I think you're mental for not taking this offer.
Berry Man,it's 1.5 ppr for tight ends and you can start 2 if you wish.

I have Finley in 1 dynasty league got him off of the FA wire a few years ago and I would NOT trade him for the 1.1 this year.

Love the guy. That was a fluke injury last year.

I have Finley in 1 dynasty league got him off of the FA wire a few years ago and I would NOT trade him for the 1.1 this year.Love the guy. That was a fluke injury last year.
I agree with this, but I can see someone trading him for either the 1.01 or 1.02 if they have another stud TE on their roster and feel they can help their team overall.

I have Finley in 1 dynasty league got him off of the FA wire a few years ago and I would NOT trade him for the 1.1 this year.Love the guy. That was a fluke injury last year.
I agree with this, but I can see someone trading him for either the 1.01 or 1.02 if they have another stud TE on their roster and feel they can help their team overall.
I agree as well someone who traded Finley for a top 2 rookie pick I would understand. I also have Gates but he is gettting long in the tooth and coming off injury plauged year as well.What looked like a major strength to open the season with Gates and Finley ended up being a terrible position for me to end the season.

I have Finley in 1 dynasty league got him off of the FA wire a few years ago and I would NOT trade him for the 1.1 this year.

Love the guy. That was a fluke injury last year.
I agree as well someone who traded Finley for a top 2 rookie pick I would understand. I also have Gates but he is gettting long in the tooth and coming off injury plauged year as well.What looked like a major strength to open the season with Gates and Finley ended up being a terrible position for me to end the season.
No one would have "thunk" it. Funny hobby we play.

I see him as a mid to late 1st in 1.5 TE PPR which is the majority of leagues I play. I know the infatuation factor and he does look completely dominant at times but the injury risk is too much for me to give a top 4 or even multiple 1st rounders. The dude has had multiple knee issues at his young age and his long limbed body type isn't built for the long haul like a Vernon or Gates. Another aspect I take into consideration is the fact that the Packers have gotten used to winning without him, and Rodgers may not be so reliant on him down the road.
The Patriots won without Brady when he was hurt....doesn't mean a team won't use one of its best players when available.

The thing about finley is, whether right or wrong, the perception (and thus, the reality) of it is that this is a rare, elite player waiting to happen..similar to Fitz when he came along, Calvin, ADP, etc.

And when you have players like that, at THAT young age, these are the type of players that you get, put into your lineup, and don't worry about that position again for a decade. So its hard to take these types of trades for TRULY unknown players like top rookies, etc.

If someone was offering the 1.01 rookie and you need a RB, that's stillnot good enough because unless you think that rookie is the next LT or ADP, your guy will have half the career Finley is expected to in terms of length.

Tight end Jermichael Finley is back (most of him): Felled last season by a Week 5 knee injury and later a postsurgical infection, the Packers tight end reported to training camp in superb shape after a long rehabilitation. He has without question trimmed his already-wiry frame and drew skepticism when he insisted he weighed in at 240 pounds.

The Packers' medical staff prescribed a gradual return to football activities, but it didn't take long for Finley to display his unique receiving skills during an individual drill. When two quarterbacks inadvertently threw him passes, Finley calmly caught one and tucked it under his arm, then caught the other.

Finley's return will prove as challenging as it is exciting and should be a focal point over the next few weeks. After his injury, the Packers refocused their offense around receiver Greg Jennings. Rodgers said it will be a "challenge" to fold in the pre- and post-injury schemes.

"You add another talented guy back to the mix like that," Rodgers said, "and it's tough to get the ball around to all of our skill guys. You've got to find a way to get everyone else involved, realizing that you might be bringing back the most talented guy to the offense.

"When [Finley] is out there, we're a different team. Defensive coordinators have a difficult job when they're trying to figure out how to cover him. It's going to be important for us to find ways to get him the ball but also to keep the other guys involved who played big roles for us last year."

Users who are viewing this thread