What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jerome Harrison traded to Eagles for Mike Bell (4 Viewers)

Sounds like the Browns wanted some insurance for the short-term with Hillis and Davis banged up (makes you wonder what Harrison did to get so far in Mangini's doghouse). From the Cleveland Plain Dealer:

BEREA, Ohio -- The status of Browns running back Peyton Hillis for the Steelers game is unknown after he aggravated his pulled quad muscle against the Falcons.

Hillis limped off the field after his spectacular one-handed 19-yard touchdown catch and spent time down on the sidelines grimacing after chasing down a third-quarter interception that was nullified by a penalty.

A number of players underwent MRIs, including Jake Delhomme and Seneca Wallace, but it was not announced whether Hillis did.

"There were a lot of guys that either came into the game with things that limited them or had it during the game," said Eric Mangini. "We'll see where they are on Wednesday; I'm not going to get into the specifics of any of their injuries. We'll see how it goes throughout the course of the week."

With Hillis ailing and James Davis limited with a thigh injury, the Browns might also have to look for help at running back. One possibility might be Chris Jennings, who's available after being waived in the final cuts.

I think the winner in all of this is James Davis.... :thumbup:
There's an interesting angle.It does seem like the teams each now have similar backs...McCoy/Harrison with similar skillset, Bell and Hillis both straight ahead bangers.I think Harrison is a nice handcuff for McCoy, but that's about it.

James Davis and Jerome Harrison with the biggest boost I think
Seems like Davis is the only one with any meaningful uptick in value, but minor at that since he only has a role if Hillis is out.
Davis has a much better shot at becoming the long-term guy now. Although they will obviously address the position in the draft.
:( Did everyone give up on Hardesty already?
I guess so. Rotoworld thinks they might need to draft an RB too:
Montario Hardesty-RB- Browns Sep. 3 - 4:35 pm et

Browns placed RB Montario Hardesty on injured reserve with a torn left ACL, ending his season.

The new Ryan Torain, Hardesty showed promise as a power back in his rookie-year preseason debut Thursday night, only to tear the ACL in the same knee he had surgery on in 2006. Hardesty will enter next year's training camp having had reconstructions to both knees. We'd try to keep him in Dynasty leagues, but there's little chance he'll return without significant competition. The Browns may have to draft another back early in 2011.

Seems like Davis is the only one with any meaningful uptick in value, but minor at that since he only has a role if Hillis is out.
Davis has a much better shot at becoming the long-term guy now. Although they will obviously address the position in the draft.
:( Did everyone give up on Hardesty already?
He's still an option, but I don't think he's a guy they're absolutely counting on.

:goodposting: Did everyone give up on Hardesty already?
In all likelihood, the new coach next year will bring in his own guy.

Wow, I had no idea people have figured him for done. I'll be honest and did not know he had multiple surgeries. It's a shame.

Mark Ingram welcome to cleveland. [/hijack]

Last edited by a moderator:
:goodposting: Did everyone give up on Hardesty already?
Mangini was fired? When did this happen?

This seems like a wash, in terms of fantasy value, for both guys. They each will have a starter in front of them and will see limited opportunities.
I think it helps Bell a little because Hillis is hobbling. Unfortunately, he has a horrible matchup this week and in my opinion isn't as talented as Harrison. So the lesser talent gets the more immediate upgrade.
Yep. Due to byes and RB injuries, I'm facing the prospect of starting Marshawn Lynch this week, so I'm fishing for someone on the waiver wire I can use instead. But Bell is probably a worse start than Lynch this week IMO.

Eagles are a great fit for harrison's style. I think he would flourish if McCoy went down.
Yeah, he definitely seems like a great guy for their system, but he's a 3rd down back at best IMO.
I disagree on this, he showed me quite a lot at the end of last year. Be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Well I may be wrong with that. I guess I always took him for a guy that got banged up rather easily.

:hifive: Did everyone give up on Hardesty already?
I don't see the Eagles drafting another RB. They need help on the line.

Mike Bell becomes an instant pickup for the desperate. Harrison's value unchanged.
I agree with both but don't start Bell this week if Hillis can't play.
If the Browns figured Hillis could not play I dont think they would trade away a guy who knows the offence for a guy who does not.they would hold off a week or two if this was an issue. I would bet money that Hillis will be good to go this week.

Harrison gets a BIG jump up in value.
He gets a big downgrade in value actually. The Browns actually have a better Oline than the Eagles, and it's not really close in my book. Not to mention that Mccoy is 100% starter, Harrison will never take the job away without an injury. So Harrison basically turns into a handcuff, while in Cleveland he always had a shot at taking the job away from Hillis, who is kind of hurt by the way. Very bad for Harrison's value.
Yes, the Browns Oline might currently be better but their offense is definitely worse overall compared to the Eagles. And with as good as Hillis has been playing, it would have taken a few big games from Harrison, imo, to take that job away.
ya, he wasn't taking the job away...he had his shot in the first two weeks and Hillis took it and ran with it. Harrison's only shot would've been injury IMO.
Yeah hillis totally outperformed harrison, with his amazing ability to be in more plays both weeks, have 3 fumbles and about 20 dropped passes and two touchdowns.Confirmed success measured by tds. Mcgahee > Mjd and Rice.

Jerome Harrison is going to prove the Browns coaching staff very wrong over the next dozen weeks.

Jerome Harrison is going to prove the Browns coaching staff very wrong over the next dozen weeks.
No.He's just more suited to the Eagle's offense than the Browns'. His glaring inability to block isn't as important in an offense that throws a lot of passes to the running back.

Seems like the Browns and Eagles wanted their #2 RBs to be more like the #1 RBs.

Harrison should get some work since the Eagles will likely want to give McCoy as much rest as possible. Harrison does not have half the quicks that McCoy does. Maybe in PPR leagues Harrison can put up a few points.

Hillis owners may want to grab Bell since Hillis is already dinged. The way Hillis runs leads me to believe that he will be missing a lot of games every season. I would not start Hillis or Bell this week no matter who is playing. That Steeler D is smothering.

This trade just makes the back up running make more similar in style to the starting running back.

i thought Harrison wasn't playing because they didn't like his pass protection?

who passes more than the Eagles?

Seems like the Browns and Eagles wanted their #2 RBs to be more like the #1 RBs. Harrison should get some work since the Eagles will likely want to give McCoy as much rest as possible. Harrison does not have half the quicks that McCoy does. Maybe in PPR leagues Harrison can put up a few points.Hillis owners may want to grab Bell since Hillis is already dinged. The way Hillis runs leads me to believe that he will be missing a lot of games every season. I would not start Hillis or Bell this week no matter who is playing. That Steeler D is smothering.
Can someone explain this a little bit?So, Cleveland thought Harrison was a lousey RB? Or not someone who could share starting duties?And, Philly, they thought Bell could not handle the 3rd down work, or that if called upon he could not be a lead back? What?Cleveland thought Harrison wasn't worth it but Bell is, and Philly thinks the exact opposite? Huh?

I was actually thinking about grabbing Harrison (who had been dropped) this week to handcuff him to Hillis before this trade. I don't feel like I want to do the same with Bell. As a Hillis owner, I'm hoping this trade shows faith that he can keep it up and isn't injured. He's a pretty hard guy to sell high on as he has no real name value.

If anyone gets a bump in value, it's James Davis.

He gets a big downgrade in value actually. The Browns actually have a better Oline than the Eagles, and it's not really close in my book. Not to mention that Mccoy is 100% starter, Harrison will never take the job away without an injury. So Harrison basically turns into a handcuff, while in Cleveland he always had a shot at taking the job away from Hillis, who is kind of hurt by the way. Very bad for Harrison's value.
agreed on the downgrade. harrison woulda been a viable rb2 as the lead back on the browns. and he is a lot closer being a lead back in cleveland bc of hillis' dings. hillis left the game numerous times to get attention on the sideline this past game.

Harrison becomes the every down back. McCoy the third down guy. End thread.
seems you havent watched any eagles this year. mccoy looks rediculous. great cutting and acceleration. looks nothing like the tentative player of last year.

curious why people see this as a positive for James Davis.

i don't currently think he is worth rostering except in very deep leagues.

Mike Bell becomes an instant pickup for the desperate. Harrison's value unchanged.
I disagree. I've always thought Harrison was a mirror image of Westbrook when it comes to play style. (slightly less talented) The Eagles know how to use a back like that.

Harrison becomes the every down back. McCoy the third down guy. End thread.
seems you havent watched any eagles this year. mccoy looks rediculous. great cutting and acceleration. looks nothing like the tentative player of last year.
I believe he was joking. I don't think anyone expects Harrison to take McCoy's job -- but he is a great fit for the system and if McCoy got injured, which is certainly possible, I think he'd do very well.

Yes, the Browns Oline might currently be better but their offense is definitely worse overall compared to the Eagles. And with as good as Hillis has been playing, it would have taken a few big games from Harrison, imo, to take that job away.
ya, he wasn't taking the job away...he had his shot in the first two weeks and Hillis took it and ran with it. Harrison's only shot would've been injury IMO.
Yeah hillis totally outperformed harrison, with his amazing ability to be in more plays both weeks, have 3 fumbles and about 20 dropped passes and two touchdowns.Confirmed success measured by tds. Mcgahee > Mjd and Rice.
Signed,A Harrison owner

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the winner in all of this is James Davis.... :confused:
There's an interesting angle.It does seem like the teams each now have similar backs...McCoy/Harrison with similar skillset, Bell and Hillis both straight ahead bangers.I think Harrison is a nice handcuff for McCoy, but that's about it.
I think the fact that each team now has similar backs is the key: cleveland now has a backup that is similar to Hillis, so if he goes down they can run the same gameplan; philly now has a backup that is similar to McCoy, so if he goes down they can run the same gameplan. Makes it much easier for both teams, and probably doesn't impact the fantasy value of any of the four players involved very much.

Users who are viewing this thread