What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets @ Patriots - Week 7 Thursday Night Game Thread (1 Viewer)

Chris Jones, Chandler Jones. Blocking kicks for fun.

What a terrible showing from the Pats. Jets also played really well. Pats leading the league in takeaways, Geno has at least a pick in every game - turns out if you just run the ball all game its fine.

Would love to see the times of possession, feel like the Pats had the ball a fifth of the time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice job Pats.

Can't be disappointed in how the Jets played tonight.

Best Thursday night this year.

Nice vindication for Chris Jones, who got called for that "shoving" penalty against the Jets last year on a similarly long, potentially winning FG attempt.

Nice vindication for Chris Jones, who got called for that "shoving" penalty against the Jets last year on a similarly long, potentially winning FG attempt.
I was just thinking about this. Was that Chris Jones that got called for that? That's crazy if so.

1st two plays wasted too much time for too little yards
This. 10 more seconds and they win this game. Too bad
Hell, how about finishing drives with TDs instead of FGs? Then on that last Pats possession, hey big surprise, Jets only have one timeout left. It's the little things you need to beat a superior team on the road. Give them credit for playing much better this week, but a loss is still a loss and they've still got a long way to go.

1st two plays wasted too much time for too little yards
This. 10 more seconds and they win this game. Too bad
Hell, how about finishing drives with TDs instead of FGs?
Couldn't see that coming, right? 2nd quarter.

Also, the play before the final FG attempt, it looked like Geno was trying to hit Kerley on a quick back-shoulder throw to get a cheap 6 or 7 yards, but he looked like he was sprinting to the end zone for a Hail Mary or something. Another lack of communication on a play which should have been an easy completion.

I thought it was a penalty to have a player covering the center on a kick attempt. I thought N.E. shifted to an illegal formation immediately before the kick. I was expecting a flag. I guess I do not understand that rule correctly as there was no flag.

I thought it was a penalty to have a player covering the center on a kick attempt. I thought N.E. shifted to an illegal formation immediately before the kick. I was expecting a flag. I guess I do not understand that rule correctly as there was no flag.
Guys on talk radio this morning are commenting on this. Even worse than what you posted here, they are claiming that a referee tapped a Pats player to encourage him to move and not be over the center. Apparently there is a Vine video showing this but I haven't seen it. Seems like an egregious misstep by the ref if this is indeed what happened.

Guys on talk radio this morning are commenting on this. Even worse than what you posted here, they are claiming that a referee tapped a Pats player to encourage him to move and not be over the center. Apparently there is a Vine video showing this but I haven't seen it. Seems like an egregious misstep by the ref if this is indeed what happened.
eh, who cares? Most WR's look for a head nod from the ref on their side to make sure they're on the line of scrimmage.

In hindsight with mayo ridley and holes in the jets secondary, seeing the jets run run run and the pats pass pass pass makes sense. Close game as usual.

Jets played a great game on the road, and have nothing to hang their heads about. They gashed the Patriots all night with the run. Mayo was a huge loss for the Patriots interior D. East coast morning media are bashing the Jets for not having that "playmaker" to take the top off the defense. They criticize Geno Smith for being too conservative, not taking shots.

I don't know what they are talking about, or maybe they're just fishing for an angle. Anything to put Rex Ryan in hot water and add him to the list of head coaches on the hot seat. That was a well coached, well executed gameplan by the Jets. There isn't nearly the talent gap that the media attempts to play up between the Jets and Patriots. Jets needed a few more seconds or a timeout and they win this game at Foxboro. I found myself rooting for them, even though I was starting the Pats defense against them.

ESPN Mike said:
Rex is gonna make a hell of a DC for some team. ;)
I would love to have him on the Pats, it won't happen but it would be a great move and perhaps help in keeping Revis beyond this year. Rex is a solid coach, I wouldn't be surprised if he gets another HC job right away.

Jets played a great game on the road, and have nothing to hang their heads about. They gashed the Patriots all night with the run. Mayo was a huge loss for the Patriots interior D. East coast morning media are bashing the Jets for not having that "playmaker" to take the top off the defense. They criticize Geno Smith for being too conservative, not taking shots.
LOL at morning radio. "The Jets have no downfield playmakers." "What's Geno doing??? He refuses to go downfield!!!!!"

pecorino said:
I've never seen or heard of a ref physically touching a player to help him line up properly. Seems like something they shouldn't do, especially on a play that may directly change the outcome of the game. Found a video from the NFL: http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-cant-miss-plays/0ap3000000412104/Wk-7-Can-t-Miss-Play-Patriots-game-saving-block
I do not like the way this play is (*being) handled..

It appears to be almost orchestrated. Its like Coach B has told his player to stand over the Center, and when touched to yell shift. At which time the entire line moves position. If you watch this vid, the guy doesn't even have his mouthpiece, so he can probably yell out a nice clear command.

The only real suspicious act would be if the Ref is waiting for a specific time to tell the player to move. Yeah I get the idea that he was probably waiting for the player to move himself. However that doesn't really sound "Safety First" imho

Now Im not going to say that the player shouldn't be told to MOVE, but I would suspect a nice healthy FINE for NE as a nice start to stop this from happening (again and again).

Heres another link w/ the addendum that its "proper procedure" Or "acceptable procedure" http://www.nj.com/jets/index.ssf/2014/10/why_did_official_help_patriots_avoid_penalty_before_jets_game-ending_field_goal_got_blocked.html

p.s. Should any movement effect and NFL kicker (ie. Icing) No probably not, but it seems like cheicken " " play coming from a tenured Coach..

Isn't the rule you can't line up over the center on the line? Hightower was 6-7 ft off the line.

Edit: Nevermind I just went and looked it up:

"Article 3: Defensive Team Formation

"(a) When Team A presents a punt, field-goal, or Try Kick formation, a Team B player, who is within one yard of the line of scrimmage, must have his entire body outside the snapper’s shoulder pads at the snap."
Little bummed it cut off before the shoulder check on Brady returning to the huddle - three personal fouls on the same play, only Devey gets flagged...

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread