What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jets trading up from #29 for Cutler? (1 Viewer)

Kiddnets

Footballguy
Brick and Cutler? Sign me up!!!!! Question is will Ngata be gone before #13 and will Cutler still be there? Also - couldn't the JEts have had the #15 instead of Denver if they just kicked in an extra 3rd and 4th? Why didn't they just do that?

Jets working to get Cutler

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

BY DAVE HUTCHINSON

Star-Ledger Staff

The Jets' interest in Vanderbilt quarterback Jay Cutler remains high, so much so that they're in discussions with the Baltimore Ravens to try to obtain him with the 13th pick overall, according to a person who has been in contact with several NFL teams and has first-hand knowledge of strategy in the top portion of the NFL Draft.

The person, who requested anonymity because several deals are still pending, spelled out the following scenario for the trade to happen:

The Ravens want Oregon nose tackle Haloti Ngata at 13. If he's available, they will take him and any deal with the Jets is off. Baltimore fears Ngata won't get past the Bills at No. 8, and they have no interest in drafting another player that high.

If Ngata is gone at 13, the Ravens would trade the pick to the Jets for the second of the Jets' two first-round picks (29th overall) and their second-round pick (35th overall). The Jets would then select Cutler, if he's available. Of course, if Cutler is not available there would be no deal.

The Jets got the 29th overall selection from Atlanta via Denver in the John Abraham trade last month.

Such a scenario would give the Jets two picks in the top 13 because the club is still expected to select Virginia offense tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson or N.C. State defensive end Mario Williams with their fourth pick overall. One of the two will almost certainly be available.

Though QBs Matt Leinart and Vince Young could conceivably be on the board when the Jets go on the clock at No. 4, they'll likely pass on both. There are media reports that the Jets are considering swapping picks with the Raiders (No. 7), who are said to want Young, but Ferguson and Williams would surely be gone at No. 7 and the Jets would miss out on both.

The Jets like Cutler the most among the top quarterbacks but realize they have more immediate needs at offensive tackle and defensive end, needs Ferguson or Williams can fill. Ferguson is considered a franchise left tackle who can be a cornerstone for the next decade. Williams could replace Abraham and has been compared to Patriots Pro Bowl DT/DE Richard Seymour, a player who can excel in a 3-4 defensive scheme.

While the Jets are confident that Chad Pennington or Patrick Ramsey can be their starting quarterback this season, they see Cutler as a quarterback for the long term.

Cutler, who caught the Jets' eye at the Senior Bowl, is a real talent. He has captured the fancy of owner Woody Johnson, who traveled to Nashville for a private workout and dinner with the quarterback last week during the team's cross-country quarterback tour.

"Woody Johnson is absolutely enamored with Cutler," said the person with knowledge of the trade talks between the Jets and Ravens. "He thinks Cutler is another Tom Brady"

The Jets think Cutler, 6-3, 228 pounds, is the most complete package among the QBs available in the draft. He has the biggest arm by far and has done more with less. Despite playing with B-level talent, he completed 710 of 1,242 passes (57.1 percent) for 8,697 yards, 59 touchdowns and 36 interceptions. Although he was 11-35 in four years, the Commodores were competitive.

This is good news for Viking fans. If Cutler is available at 13 and the Ravens are willing to deal, I find it hard to believe the Jets could offer a better package than the Vikings.

Good idea if your the Jets. I guess it would work for any of the teams in the teens. OF COurse, Minny may make the same move.

THe reason I think the Jets just don't take ATL's 15 and give them picks is that Cutler is not assured of being there at 15, and it would cost them more to move up.

Doing it this way, they can let the draft play out. If Cutler's there , they move up. If not, they sit back and draft Croyle or CLemmens in round 2 and pick up a OL late in round 1.

Brick and Cutler? Sign me up!!!!! Question is will Ngata be gone before #13 and will Cutler still be there?
Would be surprised if the Browns pass on Ngata if he is there at #12.
This would be worth it just to hear Greenberg whine. ;)

J
I'm with you on this one JB.

Interesting that Oakland was mentioned as liking VY but nothing about Leinart. If Tenn doesn't take Leinart could see him fall out of the top ten.

J
As a Jets fan I agree as well... he's the Only Jet fan I know, Read, hear, that is SOOO hard up for Leinart....

J
As a Jets fan I agree as well... he's the Only Jet fan I know, Read, hear, that is SOOO hard up for Leinart....
Hi BP,I didn't know that. What seems to be the consensus (or is there one) for what the fans want the Jets to do?

On QB, what guy do they like?

J

As a Ravens fan, this sounds great.

In hearing their Scouting Director on local media in recent days, it really does seem like Ngata is the only one of the guys they really, really like who has even a remote chance of being available at 13 (FWIW, they also love Young, Hawk and Huff) but I don't think he'll be there.

They have talked a lot about wanting to move down and pick up extra picks because they don't have a third-rounder this year, and they love the depth in this draft. Seems like they have a Top 10, and then have very similar grades on the next 50 guys -- in their eyes, what they'd be getting at 13 wouldn't be that much better than what they'd be getting at 50.

I really hope this happens. Looks like AZ at 10 might be the fly in the ointment.

As a Ravens fan, this sounds great.

In hearing their Scouting Director on local media in recent days, it really does seem like Ngata is the only one of the guys they really, really like who has even a remote chance of being available at 13 (FWIW, they also love Young, Hawk and Huff) but I don't think he'll be there.

They have talked a lot about wanting to move down and pick up extra picks because they don't have a third-rounder this year, and they love the depth in this draft. Seems like they have a Top 10, and then have very similar grades on the next 50 guys -- in their eyes, what they'd be getting at 13 wouldn't be that much better than what they'd be getting at 50.

I really hope this happens. Looks like AZ at 10 might be the fly in the ointment.
AZ will be taking Leinart at 10

J
Hi BP,I didn't know that. What seems to be the consensus (or is there one) for what the fans want the Jets to do?

On QB, what guy do they like?

J
I can see the draft room contingent (fans) looking for the Leinart Name.... Everything I've seen said the Jets staff is leery of having another average armed QB in the Meadowlands, and Leinart also has had some arm/shoulder work done already - Sounds like Chad II.

But, From the few Jet Boards I frequent to friends My feeling was SUPER MARIO was the perfect fit and start to building this defense in the mold of the Pats....

Lukewarm feeling on the QB's at 4 - and then D'Brick as a real nice fall back option...

With so many needs, I think most would be happy with trading down to around 11 where any one of the following would be GREAT along with more picks

Bush

Mario

Brick

Hawk

Ngata

Huff

Justice

Davis

Young

Cutler

Young

What I absolutely LOVE is the way this Front office is apparently doing it's homework and keeping information tight lipped, so they may surprise us all.... At this point in a Bradway Draft, Terry would be standing naked in the corner of the room praying his gambles to pay off.... Or of course he could be home watching cartoons.

Last edited by a moderator:
Little more local info on the Ravens - scouting Director Eric DeCosta (a disciple of Phil Savage) said there are three tiers of players in the first round. The first eight most teams apparently all agree on, in no particular order (Bush, Davis, Ferguson, Hawk, Huff, Leinhart, Williams, Young).

Then, Decosta said there is a group from picks 9 to 25. He said there is a big drop-off on their board after 25 and he was hesitant to endorse the idea of trading with the Jets.

It was discussed specifically in terms of the Jets to moving up and take Cutler; DeCosta said the Ravens would use that as leverage to get more out of the Vikings, who he "knew for a fact" would want to trade up from 17 to get Cutler.

Decosta also said that if you get a couple teams interested in a certain player when the clock is ticking, you can throw the draft chart out because emotions come into play and some teams will give up a lot more.

Going to the draft pick value board we have

Baltimore #13 = 1150

NYJ #29 + #35 = 1190

Minn #17 + #48 = 1370

Looks like the Ravens might be hoping for too much if they think they're going to get the package from the Vikings.

I also wonder if Cleveland or St. Louis might get into the mix, if it turns out the Jets and Vikings get very eager to outdo each other for Cutler.

Little more local info on the Ravens - scouting Director Eric DeCosta (a disciple of Phil Savage) said there are three tiers of players in the first round. The first eight most teams apparently all agree on, in no particular order (Bush, Davis, Ferguson, Hawk, Huff, Leinhart, Williams, Young).

Then, Decosta said there is a group from picks 9 to 25. He said there is a big drop-off on their board after 25 and he was hesitant to endorse the idea of trading with the Jets.

It was discussed specifically in terms of the Jets to moving up and take Cutler; DeCosta said the Ravens would use that as leverage to get more out of the Vikings, who he "knew for a fact" would want to trade up from 17 to get Cutler.

Decosta also said that if you get a couple teams interested in a certain player when the clock is ticking, you can throw the draft chart out because emotions come into play and some teams will give up a lot more.

Going to the draft pick value board we have

Baltimore #13 = 1150

NYJ #29 + #35 = 1190

Minn #17 + #48 = 1370

Looks like the Ravens might be hoping for too much if they think they're going to get the package from the Vikings.

I also wonder if Cleveland or St. Louis might get into the mix, if it turns out the Jets and Vikings get very eager to outdo each other for Cutler.
I think #13 is the cut-off today for how far Cutler will fall. But I suspect as we get closer to the draft this cut-off rises (as you are speculating) to pick #10.If Tennessee suddenly trades back to #7, then I think the quarterback cut-off is then #7, putting the Packers and 49ers as those in the driver seat to move-down to accomodate quarterback hungry teams.

Brick and Cutler? Sign me up!!!!! Question is will Ngata be gone before #13 and will Cutler still be there?
:goodposting: Romeo has serious man love for Ngata. At the combine, he was gushing about him on NFL Network. "Perfect fit", "Great motor", "Wish he would be there" were the terms used. Highly doubt that they let him pass..

Interesting that Oakland was mentioned as liking VY but nothing about Leinart. If Tenn doesn't take Leinart could see him fall out of the top ten.
This could be because they are certain Leinhart will be gone by #7. We haven't heard anything about what anyone other than the Saints and Texans think of Bush, but that doesn't mean he could slip into the second round.

I think that would be very nice for the Jets if it works out exactly the way they want it.
In my 32 team dynasty we're doing a mock draft to kill time until the draft. Since I am the NYJ franchise I'm picking in their slots. I took Leinart with the #4 pick (D'brick was gone), then at the #29 pick I took Deangelo Williams (can't believe he fell to #29!). Then I figure I'll take that tackle out of Clemson (or Auburn)...McNeil(?) in the 2nd round (Justice is gone too). I thought you couldn't do much better than that. Could you imagine if the draft actually played out like that for the Jets? A stud qb, rb, and tackle? :excited: :banned:

I think that would be very nice for the Jets if it works out exactly the way they want it.
In my 32 team dynasty we're doing a mock draft to kill time until the draft. Since I am the NYJ franchise I'm picking in their slots. I took Leinart with the #4 pick (D'brick was gone), then at the #29 pick I took Deangelo Williams (can't believe he fell to #29!). Then I figure I'll take that tackle out of Clemson (or Auburn)...McNeil(?) in the 2nd round (Justice is gone too). I thought you couldn't do much better than that. Could you imagine if the draft actually played out like that for the Jets? A stud qb, rb, and tackle? :excited: :banned:
I would name you the GM of the Jets with that draft!

Auburn

I would name you the GM of the Jets with that draft!
I'd fire you for passing on M.Williams

:goodposting: Romeo has serious man love for Ngata. At the combine, he was gushing about him on NFL Network. "Perfect fit", "Great motor", "Wish he would be there" were the terms used. Highly doubt that they let him pass..
The aren't very many great run stuffing NT's for the 3-4. If you run the 3-4 you usually have to use a 1st round pick to get one and Ngata looks as good as Wilfork and Hampton.

id rather a trade up for cutler than a trade up for leinert.

ideally, id like us to tank and get quinn next year

If the Jets were able to nab Cutler AND D'Brick, that would be an unbelieveable 1st round.. one of the best I've ever seen.

If the Jets were able to nab Cutler AND D'Brick, that would be an unbelieveable 1st round.. one of the best I've ever seen.
All they had to give up was the #4 overall and John Abraham to get them.

Ngata will NOT be there at #13.

Zero chance he gets by the Bills, Cardinals, AND the Browns.
:goodposting: AD is wise.
:no: Browns are the only major threat there. Horrible fit for the Bills, Cards have Dockett and put a good amount of money into Clancy this offseason.

Wouldnt surprise me for the Ravens to try to jump to #11.

Not entirely accurate. Abraham got them #29, and they have to package that with #35 to get Cutler.

If the Jets were able to nab Cutler AND D'Brick, that would be an unbelieveable 1st round..  one of the best I've ever seen.
And by this, I take it you think it's bad? Abraham is a me first guy, a below average run stopper, a top ten pass rusher who has no position in a 3-4 defense. I'll take this deal, and grin.

Users who are viewing this thread