What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Klopfenstein: Deep Sleeper? (1 Viewer)

M. Flak

Footballguy
Nobody seems to be talking about this guy but the more things I see about him, the more I could see him developing into a top 10-15 TE. My logic?

A.) Madden Don't Lie: On Madden '09, he has an 83 for speed and a 79 for catching; he's a receiving tight end similar to McMichael. He was a second round pick in 2006 so there is some athletic upside there.

B.) The Rams throw to their TE's ALOT: McMichael had 21 targets prior to injury compared this to Holt's 24 and Jackson's 25. Given the dropoff at WR after Holt, Klop essentially becomes the #2WR.

C.) He's a ####ty blocker: Klop's big downside throughout his career has been his blocking. McMichael was used as a hybrid blocking/receiving TE (hence his mediocre production) but I could see the Rams putting him on more passing patterns. Given their dismal O-line situation already, they will probably be more of a short-pass team than before; all to the benefit of Klop's stat line.

D.) The difference between a borderline TE2 and a borderline TE1 is about one reception per game: A solid TE season is somewhere around 600 yards w/ mediocrity being in the 400 range--a 10-yard difference/game. I'd take McMichael's numbers as the baseline for a decent TE2. Throw in the above elements and Klop could be a borderline TE1

Best Case Scenario: Circa 2007 Owen Daniels pt. 2 (4 rec/45 yds/gm). Given that the Rams will both be playing from behind alot AND forced to make shorter throws, I think his numbers will be pretty consistent (no goose-eggs).

Expected Scenario: 3 rec/35 yds/game

Worst Case Scenario: The Rams go with Becht for his blocking and Klop goes back to being a non-factor.

Your thoughts?

:lmao:

I mentioned Klopfenstein in the week 6 waiver and the TE thread this week.

He can be had this week for nothing but with the TE position being so bad he could be harder to get in the next few weeks.

Nobody seems to be talking about this guy but the more things I see about him, the more I could see him developing into a top 10-15 TE. My logic?A.) Madden Don't Lie: On Madden '09, he has an 83 for speed and a 79 for catching; he's a receiving tight end similar to McMichael. He was a second round pick in 2006 so there is some athletic upside there.B.) The Rams throw to their TE's ALOT: McMichael had 21 targets prior to injury compared this to Holt's 24 and Jackson's 25. Given the dropoff at WR after Holt, Klop essentially becomes the #2WR.C.) He's a ####ty blocker: Klop's big downside throughout his career has been his blocking. McMichael was used as a hybrid blocking/receiving TE (hence his mediocre production) but I could see the Rams putting him on more passing patterns. Given their dismal O-line situation already, they will probably be more of a short-pass team than before; all to the benefit of Klop's stat line.D.) The difference between a borderline TE2 and a borderline TE1 is about one reception per game: A solid TE season is somewhere around 600 yards w/ mediocrity being in the 400 range--a 10-yard difference/game. I'd take McMichael's numbers as the baseline for a decent TE2. Throw in the above elements and Klop could be a borderline TE1Best Case Scenario: Circa 2007 Owen Daniels pt. 2 (4 rec/45 yds/gm). Given that the Rams will both be playing from behind alot AND forced to make shorter throws, I think his numbers will be pretty consistent (no goose-eggs).Expected Scenario: 3 rec/35 yds/gameWorst Case Scenario: The Rams go with Becht for his blocking and Klop goes back to being a non-factor.Your thoughts?
I've been looking over/thinking about this situation myself. I was a "McMichael as a borderline top 10 sleeper you can get for practically nothing" believer coming into the season. Especially with Saunders in town. Guy has had a TE in the Pro Bowl for 8 or 9 straight years. Your B and C points are what I've been rolling around in my head the most, and I'm likely going to go ahead and try to pick up Joe since my TE situation is just terrible in my biggest money league, but there's one thing that's still bothering me: The Rams offensive line IS as horrid as it was a year ago. I didn't think it could be, but I was dead, dead wrong. It's every bit as bad as it was and I wonder if it's going to get even maringally better this season. Given that, can they afford to run a guy like Klop out there who is such a #$%#% blocker for the lion's share of the offensive snaps?I guess they really don't have a lot of other options, but if the OL play continues to break down will they be keeping him in to at least get in the way more than they're releasing him into patterns? I haven't got to watch a ton of Rams games this year. When I was able to watch a few earlier games, and pay attention, McMike was practically playing as a 3rd tackle. As you say, though, Klop's not exactly equipped to play like that. Still not making me expect much.At this point, if he could get 4 catches for 35+ yards a game I'd be in hog heaven to have him rostered over the guys I've been running with the last few weeks.

Last edited by a moderator:
What's more shocking in the enclave of words, thoughts, and rhetoric you spend on a non-stud TE, much less a TE...

... is that I'm responding to it.

Given that JUGGERNAUT of Rams offense... this could the 2008 "steal o' the TE waiver wire".

Users who are viewing this thread