What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Joe Tessitore - most boring announcer ever? (2 Viewers)

If we’re counting radio guys, Westwood One has always had some top-tier talent on their primetime games.  Kevin Harlan is a voice I find very effective   at painting a word picture of the game action.

If we’re counting radio guys, Westwood One has always had some top-tier talent on their primetime games.  Kevin Harlan is a voice I find very effective   at painting a word picture of the game action.
Agreed.... he's got enough "oomph" but doesn't come across as being overly-dramatic.  Definitely a Harlan fan.

I usually watch the 1st half of MNF at my favorite dive bar, so not really paying attention to the announcers.

2nd half is spent at home .... kinda-sorta paying attention, getting the kids ready for bed and what-not.

So, no real opinion on Tessatore.  Other than.... seems kinda blah.  ESPN should be able to do better.

Although I agree with the point made about Dennis Miller throwing the rhythm of the broadcast off, the reason he didn't succeed is way simpler than that.  The average football fan (and person in general) is not going to get Dennis Miller's "jokes."  I consider myself fairly knowledgeable in history and a lot of other things, but most of his references were way over my head, let alone the average person.  Not very conducive to a football broadcast.

.Good sound and production values helps the total package. Those stuck driving somewhere on a Monday nite appreciate these things.

Last edited by a moderator:
My top 10 Best football announcers of all time:  Limiting this to play-by-play, not color commenting. 

#1 - Ray Scott

#2 - Lindsey Nelson

#3 - Curt Gowdy

#4 - Charlie Jones

#5 - **** Enberg

#6 - Marv Albert

#7 - Al Michaels

#8 - Keith Jackson

#9 - Frank Gifford

#10 - Verne Lundquist
great list, old timer.

Even though I didn't care for Summerall as an  announcer, I did enjoy watching him and Tom Brookshier on "This week in Pro Football", hosted every Sunday morning in the late 60s and early 70s.
Before my time but sounds like the good ol’ days

Can’t stand this guy! So stiff, no life. Pronunciation issues and he acts like he’s moderating a presidential debate!  Hovers on one favorite per game and mentions him till you can’t stand it anymore! Also don’t need to know every player’s physical dimensions after every play or his stats. Basically - just shut the F up! You ain’t no Howard, or, Al, or Dandy Don, or Herb, or Giff!

Users who are viewing this thread