What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John McCain (1 Viewer)

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, who was Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)’s running mate in the 2008 presidential election, has been excluded from his funeral.

“It’s sad” that Palin was told to stay away, says a Republican source with ties to both camps. “They had a good friendship

A source with knowledge of the funeral arrangements adds that several longtime McCain staffers were also removed from the invite list 

he really did go out filled with hate. I don’t like Palin but they stayed on good terms

Former Alaska governor Sarah Palin, who was Sen. John McCain (R-AZ)’s running mate in the 2008 presidential election, has been excluded from his funeral.

“It’s sad” that Palin was told to stay away, says a Republican source with ties to both camps. “They had a good friendship

A source with knowledge of the funeral arrangements adds that several longtime McCain staffers were also removed from the invite list 

he really did go out filled with hate. I don’t like Palin but they stayed on good terms
Once again you didn't provide a link or list a source for what was in your quote. Where was this taken from? What site?

In the last line, was that your own words, that "he really did go out with hate" or was it commentary from the unidentified author of the piece?

Last edited by a moderator:
Your link is to a twitter account who linked his own article, terribly written, without any references or proof of his accusations. 
It's right here:

On December 14, 2013, McCain materialized in Kiev for a meeting with Oleh Tyanhbok, an unreconstructed fascist who had emerged as a top opposition leader. Tyanhbok had co-founded the fascist Social-National Party, a far-right political outfit that touted itself as the “last hope of the white race, of humankind as such.” No fan of Jews, he had complained that a “Muscovite-Jewish mafia” had taken control of his country, and had been photographed throwing up a sieg heil Nazi salute during a speech.

and here:

During his brief excursion into Syria, McCain met with a group of CIA-backed insurgents and blessed their struggle. “The senator wanted to assure the Free Syrian Army that the American people support their cry for freedom, support their revolution,” Moustafa said in an interview with CNN. McCain’s office promptly released a photo showing the senator posing beside a beaming Moustafa and two grim-looking gunmen.

Days later, the men were named by the Lebanese Daily Star as Mohammad Nour and Abu Ibrahim. Both had been implicated in the kidnapping a year prior of 11 Shia pilgrims, and were identified by one of the survivors. McCain and Moustafa returned to the U.S. the targets of mockery from Daily Show host John Stewart and the subject of harshly critical reports from across the media spectrum. At a town hall in Arizona, McCain was berated by constituents, including Jumana Hadid, a Syrian Christian woman who warned that the sectarian militants he had cozied up to threatened her community with genocide.

It's also in the images showing McCain literally doing the things he's accused of with neonazis/terrorists, who have already been identified. 

It's right here:

On December 14, 2013, McCain materialized in Kiev for a meeting with Oleh Tyanhbok, an unreconstructed fascist who had emerged as a top opposition leader. Tyanhbok had co-founded the fascist Social-National Party, a far-right political outfit that touted itself as the “last hope of the white race, of humankind as such.” No fan of Jews, he had complained that a “Muscovite-Jewish mafia” had taken control of his country, and had been photographed throwing up a sieg heil Nazi salute during a speech.

and here:

During his brief excursion into Syria, McCain met with a group of CIA-backed insurgents and blessed their struggle. “The senator wanted to assure the Free Syrian Army that the American people support their cry for freedom, support their revolution,” Moustafa said in an interview with CNN. McCain’s office promptly released a photo showing the senator posing beside a beaming Moustafa and two grim-looking gunmen.

Days later, the men were named by the Lebanese Daily Star as Mohammad Nour and Abu Ibrahim. Both had been implicated in the kidnapping a year prior of 11 Shia pilgrims, and were identified by one of the survivors. McCain and Moustafa returned to the U.S. the targets of mockery from Daily Show host John Stewart and the subject of harshly critical reports from across the media spectrum. At a town hall in Arizona, McCain was berated by constituents, including Jumana Hadid, a Syrian Christian woman who warned that the sectarian militants he had cozied up to threatened her community with genocide.

It's also in the images showing McCain literally doing the things he's accused of with neonazis/terrorists, who have already been identified. 
Yeah I’m not buying any of this crap, and I think you’re looking to dishonor a fine man. 

timschochet said:
Yeah I’m not buying any of this crap, and I think you’re looking to dishonor a fine man. 
I went ahead and added Ren and HT to my ignore list because of this thread.  HT's trolling used to be funny at times and Ren at least brought some interesting perspective on things.  But I have no time for people who #### on a decent man who just died.

timschochet said:
I think you dehumanize millions of people by lionizing him.  Their lives simply never existed, never mattered.  All because the killing was ostensibly for freedom and democracy.  It's pretty dark when you think about it.  

I think you dehumanize millions of people by lionizing him.  Their lives simply never existed, never mattered.  All because the killing was ostensibly for freedom and democracy.  It's pretty dark when you think about it.  
If I thought that you were making an argument on behalf of pacifism, I would credit your criticism of McCain a lot more, even though I would disagree with your assessment. 

But after reading your posts for a few years in this forum, I think your criticism is highly selective and strongly biased based on your political beliefs. Time and again you have found excuses for mass murderers while managing to be overly critical of anyone who is representative of the establishment that you detest. And in this case in particular I strongly question your source material 

If I thought that you were making an argument on behalf of pacifism, I would credit your criticism of McCain a lot more, even though I would disagree with your assessment. 

But after reading your posts for a few years in this forum, I think your criticism is highly selective and strongly biased based on your political beliefs. Time and again you have found excuses for mass murderers while managing to be overly critical of anyone who is representative of the establishment that you detest. And in this case in particular I strongly question your source material 
If it looks like I'm more critical of US empire over other countries, it's because I resent my tax dollars being used for death and destruction abroad.  I have a direct moral, ethical and financial obligation to the US not ####### doing that anymore.  

As far as "making excuses" for other countries, can you cite a single example where I've made excuses for mass murder?  You made the accusation so I sure would like to see where I've done that before.  

As far as McCain goes, it's not hard to find quality sourcing (which I already provided, but you refuse to accept because it violates a sacred cow for you) on his association with neonazis in Ukraine and terrorist rebels in Syria (among many others).  

As far as "making excuses" for other countries, can you cite a single example where I've made excuses for mass murder?  You made the accusation so I sure would like to see where I've done that before.  
I’m not going to go back and find specific examples, but I recall you defending Assad, Putin, and various Palestinian terrorists. 

And here I’m only critical of McCain as a politician, not foreign policy   and him being petty & vindictive to the end. Also much like Trump he was rough around the edges and a bit of a vulgarian 

If it looks like I'm more critical of US empire over other countries, it's because I resent my tax dollars being used for death and destruction abroad.  I have a direct moral, ethical and financial obligation to the US not ####### doing that anymore.  
And that is what it is about, not lives, but your pocketbook.

Then you are making stuff up.  Because there is not a single instance on this board where I've 'defended' either of them.  Not unironically anyway.  

To be fair you did defend him when you said...

We were talking about the use of chemical weapons specifically.  People taking the claims of sarin gas/chlorine use at face value aren't being very logical.  Again, why would Assad resort to using chemical weapons when he is already winning the war and has majority support?  The last thing he needs is the NATO West decrying him as a butcher gassing his own people.  

Was the defense justified?  You might think so, but it is defense nonetheless. 

And that is what it is about, not lives, but your pocketbook.
Please.  That's extremely disingenuous.  I specifically wrote 'moral' and 'ethical'.  I know it was a cheap post for bucky tier like ratings, but you're better than this.  

Besides, isn't there a humanitarian pretense to the material cost of these wars, when it could fund every societal and civil program we've ever dreamed of?  

To be fair you did defend him when you said...

Was the defense justified?  You might think so, but it is defense nonetheless. 

Thanks for looking that up. 
Refusing to accept unproven claims is not the same thing as supporting/defending someone.  The nerve gas attack turned out to be a total fabrication.  I'm an Assad defender because I refused to accept allegations that turned out to be untrue?  That is just phenomenally stupid.  

By that measure, everyone who was skeptical about WMDs in Iraq was 'defending Saddam'.  You're with us or you're with the terrorists?  

McCain was a respected, honest man of civility and decency and worked with Democrats and Republicans to try to accomplish good legislation putting country first .He admitted he made mistakes. We can put policy aside where we didn't agree with him and clearly see he was the man Trump can never be. But those qualities are what this nations needs in it's leader right now.

But yet Trump accomplished the thing that McCain couldn’t and he was very bitter and jealous . This really ate at McCain, in a way I really can’t blame him for being so upset. 
Not jealous but disappointed these qualities were not what Trump supporters found or continue to deem necessary in its leader. Fortunately that view represents the minority albeit a small difference which is why we and McCain's legacy can remain optimistic about our future.

I hope that I never become so bitter and filled with hate that I tell specific people not to attend my funeral (or leave instructions to that effect). 

I get if you don't want someone coming around while you're still alive.  If Obama rang my doorbell I'd turn the TV down and pretend I wasn't home.

But good grief, I wouldn't send a note to Obama asking him to please not attend my funeral services.

I hope that I never become so bitter and filled with hate that I tell specific people not to attend my funeral (or leave instructions to that effect). 

I get if you don't want someone coming around while you're still alive.  If Obama rang my doorbell I'd turn the TV down and pretend I wasn't home.

But good grief, I wouldn't send a note to Obama asking him to please not attend my funeral services.
McCain was neither bitter nor filled with hate. He did not want either Trump or Palin to attend his funeral because he did not wish his funeral to be used as a political stunt or to promote either of them. A quite reasonable and, IMO, admirable decision. 

should we dig up all your previous posts about McCain?

McCain was neither bitter nor filled with hate. He did not want either Trump or Palin to attend his funeral because he did not wish his funeral to be used as a political stunt or to promote either of them. A quite reasonable and, IMO, admirable decision. 
From 2009 , Maureen Dowd

Even some of McCain’s former aides are disturbed by the 73-year-old’s hostile, vindictive, sarcastic persona — a far cry from The Honorable Man portrait so lovingly pumped up in books by his former aide and co-writer Mark Salter.

https://www.nytimes.com/2009/12/23/opinion/23dowd.html

now Add Trump doing what he couldn’t. Very angry 

I wouldn't ban Obama from my funeral either...because he's not a gigantic POS.

I don't know, post death instructions could be fun.

Please don't piss on my grave, but if you must would you mind going at the foot of the grave and not the headstone.

Please don't grudge **** my wife on the day of my funeral.

Vikings and Bears regalia is strictly prohibited graveside.

According to whom? 

And of course you’re defending him when you write this crap. 
The OPCW Tim.  There was no evidence of a nerve agent being used in Douma.  It's not about defending Assad, it's about not going to war based on another false pretext.  

"Please don't bury me
Down in that cold, cold ground
No, I'd rather have 'em cut me up
And pass me all around"

"Throw my brain in a hurricane
And the blind can have my eyes
And the deaf can take both of my ears
If they don't mind the size"

"Give my stomach to Milwaukee
If they run out of beer
Put my socks in a cedar box
Just to get 'em out of here"

"Venus De Milo can have my arms
Look out! I've got your nose
Sell my heart to the junk man
And give my love to Rose"

"But please don't bury me
I'd rather have 'em cut me up
And pass me all around"

The blind can have my eyes
If they don't mind the size, oh man!"

"Give my feet to the footloose
Careless, fancy free
And give my knees to the needy
Don't pull that stuff on me"

"Hand me down my walking cane
Its a sin to tell a lie
Send my mouth way down south
And kiss my ### goodbye"

"But, please don't bury me
I?d rather have 'em cut me up
And pass me all around"

And the blind can have my eyes
If they don't mind the size, that's right"

Songwriters: John Prine

:(

Trump defends his handling of McCain's death:

Asked if he missed an opportunity to unite the country and made a mistake, Trump disagreed.

"No, I don't think I did at all," he said. "I've done everything that they requested and no, I don’t think I have."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-30/trump-says-mccain-flag-flap-wasn-t-fumble-after-disagreements?utm_content=politics&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-politics&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic

Asked if he missed an opportunity to unite the country and made a mistake, Trump disagreed.

"No, I don't think I did at all," he said. "I've done everything that they requested and no, I don’t think I have."

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-08-30/trump-says-mccain-flag-flap-wasn-t-fumble-after-disagreements?utm_content=politics&cmpid%3D=socialflow-twitter-politics&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_campaign=socialflow-organic
A Republican president praising a former Republican presidential candidate would have united the country?  Seems like an odd way to ask the question.

He should have prostrated himself before McCain's grave in worship, thanked the Lord for McCain's service, personally carved McCain's face on a mountain, and signed an executive order declaring flags and planes fly at half altitude for 81 days, each day commemorating a year of the freedom and democracy planet earth was graced with during John McCain's long life.  

Typical disgraceful words and actions from Trump.

When I was 10 years old, my mom made me invite everyone in my class to my birthday party. There was this one kid named Donnie that NOBODY liked. He was antisocial and creepy. I BEGGED my mom not to invite him, but she insisted. She said "Only a bitter person filled with hate would tell Donnie that he can't come to their party."

So, I reluctantly sent him an invitation.

Anyway, the party was a disaster. Donnie ended up harassing my cat, yelling inappropriate things to all my friends, and constantly taking all the attention away from me. He also pooped his pants and smeared #### all over the toilet seat.

Many years later we found out that Donnie had severe mental issues and had been institutionalized.

When I was 10 years old, my mom made me invite everyone in my class to my birthday party. There was this one kid named Donnie that NOBODY liked. He was antisocial and creepy. I BEGGED my mom not to invite him, but she insisted. She said "Only a bitter person filled with hate would tell Donnie that he can't come to their party."

So, I reluctantly sent him an invitation.

Anyway, the party was a disaster. Donnie ended up harassing my cat, yelling inappropriate things to all my friends, and constantly taking all the attention away from me. He also pooped his pants and smeared #### all over the toilet seat.

Many years later we found out that Donnie had severe mental issues and had been institutionalized.
What institution, the presidency?

Users who are viewing this thread