What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

John Smoltz: HoF prospects? (1 Viewer)

Hall of famer?

• Yes - sure thing first ballot choice

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes - he'll eventually make it in

Votes: 1 100.0%
  • No - not good enough

• Doyle Alexander

• Total voters

Eephus

Footballguy
If John Smoltz doesn't land somewhere else in ten days, his 21 year career may be over. Now's as good a time as any to discuss his Hall of Fame

The numbers:

212-152 (.582) over his career including 3+ years as a closer

125 ERA+

One Cy Young. 1.19 CYA shares

Eight All Star appearances

15-4 w/ 4 saves in post-season

Black Ink Pitching - 34 (45), Average HOFer ≈ 40

Gray Ink Pitching - 193 (48), Average HOFer ≈ 185

Hall of Fame Monitor Pitching - 167 (38), Likely HOFer ≈ 100

Hall of Fame Standards Pitching - 45 (53), Average HOFer ≈ 50

He's certainly borderline, but I like him as a HOFer more than I like Curt Schilling. They are pretty similar in my book.

Smoltz's success as a starter and closer is an interesting twist.

He's certainly borderline, but I like him as a HOFer more than I like Curt Schilling. They are pretty similar in my book.Smoltz's success as a starter and closer is an interesting twist.
Is it really that different than Eck's career? Eck obviosuly logged more games pitched in because he was a closer for a longer period of time, but I think Smoltz track record as a start is better then Eck's was.

I think Smoltz is a lock to make the Hall of Fame. He may not make it in his first year of eligibility, but I think he certainly will make it and fully deserves to.

I was just comparing Smoltz's and Schilling's career stats, and it is actually amazing how statistically similar they are.

Smoltz - 212 wins, 3.32 ERA, 1.18 WHIP, 3044 Ks, 154 saves, 15-4 postseason record with 1 World Series championship, 8-time All-Star, 1 Cy Young award

Schilling - 216 wins, 3.46 ERA, 1.14 WHIP, 3116 Ks, 11-2 postseason record with 3 World Series championships, 3-time All-Star, no Cy Young awards

I agree that I like Smoltz slightly better than Schilling. I think Smoltz was a more consistently dominant pitcher over a longer period of time as both a starter and a closer. If Smoltz hadn't been a closer for three years, then his win/strikeout statistics would have been that much more impressive for Hall of Fame consideration. I don't know how you could hold his stint as being one of the most dominant closers in baseball against him, and you have to keep that in mind when comparing his win totals to other Hall of Fame pitchers. Schilling may have won more World Series, but Smoltz is right there as one of the best playoff pitchers of all-time. It certainly wasn't his fault that the Braves didn't win more.

Both Smoltz and Schilling are interesting cases, and if I had to bet I would probably say that both get in, but I would take Smoltz over Schilling any day.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's certainly borderline, but I like him as a HOFer more than I like Curt Schilling. They are pretty similar in my book.Smoltz's success as a starter and closer is an interesting twist.
Is it really that different than Eck's career? Eck obviosuly logged more games pitched in because he was a closer for a longer period of time, but I think Smoltz track record as a start is better then Eck's was.
Smoltz had a lot more success as a SP. Around 150 of Eckersley's 197 wins were during the years he was a starter. Smoltz played on better teams than the Indians, Cubs and Houk-era Red Sox but you can't penalize him for that.Looking back, I'm a little surprised Smoltz was only a reliever for 3 years. It seems like more than that for some reason. One problem with Smoltz is that the closer years dilute his career numbers (although even if he would have won 20 in each of those years, he'd still fall short of 300 wins) but he wasn't a closer long enough to be considered as an all-timer in that role.I still think Smoltz gets in. I like his credentials better than Schilling. Both will be helped by voters' memories of their post-season successes.

Users who are viewing this thread