What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Johnny Knox = Martz’s new Mike Furrey? (1 Viewer)

Banger

Footballguy
Everyone knows that Martz is brought in to pass the ball and the beneficiaries are the wr’s and the rb’s. When Martz was in Detroit a few years back Mike Furrey came out of nowhere to catch 98 balls for 1086 and 6 tds to be the 18th ranked wr in 2006.

Last year Knox had a solid rookie year and looks to have some terrific talent. Very fast, very nice hands and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. The coaches seemed to be very high on him last year but with a new staff coming into town you never know how it’s going to work out.

Last year, even though he wasn’t a starter he only caught 12 balls less than Hester on 11 fewer targets and finished only 11 fpts behind him. The Chicago WR position is wide open to say the least and with news that he’s working with the starting team should get some peoples attention (but it really doesn't seem like it has). I could absolutely see him being leaned on with his good hands and route running to be a possession wr with a lot of targets/receptions. With Martz and the OC and Cutler throwing the ball, he could be a real nice buy-low candidate early in the pre-season with a very nice potential upside.

I think Knox can be a solid WR, But only because he is the best option there. I do like his speed but his poor route running and shaky hands make me worry about him. Either way i see him as a borderline WR2 in some formats.

Everyone knows that Martz is brought in to pass the ball and the beneficiaries are the wr’s and the rb’s. When Martz was in Detroit a few years back Mike Furrey came out of nowhere to catch 98 balls for 1086 and 6 tds to be the 18th ranked wr in 2006. Last year Knox had a solid rookie year and looks to have some terrific talent. Very fast, very nice hands and seems to have a good head on his shoulders. The coaches seemed to be very high on him last year but with a new staff coming into town you never know how it’s going to work out. Last year, even though he wasn’t a starter he only caught 12 balls less than Hester on 11 fewer targets and finished only 11 fpts behind him. The Chicago WR position is wide open to say the least and with news that he’s working with the starting team should get some peoples attention (but it really doesn't seem like it has). I could absolutely see him being leaned on with his good hands and route running to be a possession wr with a lot of targets/receptions. With Martz and the OC and Cutler throwing the ball, he could be a real nice buy-low candidate early in the pre-season with a very nice potential upside.
one thing to consider:Mike Furrey played with Martz in St. Louis before he left and knew his system. So when Martz brought him over, he knew EXACTLY what he was getting.and with Martz, his system relies upon timing and is a bit more complicated than most pro systems out there, so knowing the system is key. Knox's fate will be tied directly to how quickly he & Cutler learn the system. This may be a crapshoot. he could be the man, or someone else could show up out of nowhere to get the job done.

If you are in PPR, I would pay attention to the guy they mention that "he gets it" in the press during the offseason/preseason. I don't care if it is a UDFA, if he gets those accolades, he is on my "must draft" list...hopefully it is a guy like Knox who can be had cheaper than Hester or Arosh...u.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think the issue in CHI is that anyone on the roster could end up being an unlikely source of receptions and decent production, but guessing which guy(s) it will be is the challenge.

I think Knox can be a solid WR, But only because he is the best option there. I do like his speed but his poor route running and shaky hands make me worry about him. Either way i see him as a borderline WR2 in some formats.
:mellow: Knox hands are one of the best attributes of his game

:goodposting: Knox hands are one of the best attributes of his game
you did some terrific stuff on him on draftguys last year that really turned my head on him.

I think the issue in CHI is that anyone on the roster could end up being an unlikely source of receptions and decent production, but guessing which guy(s) it will be is the challenge.
I agree, but I think we will "hear" about it sooner rather than later. I'll pay close attention to "Martz talk" in the coming months, because if you look at a guy like Furrey, no other coach has/or will (IMO) put someone in a better place to succeed. I don't think there is a more obscure 75 reception receiver, let alone a 98 reception receiver in NFL history...first guy Martz jumps on, I will be quick to follow.

I agree, but I think we will "hear" about it sooner rather than later. I'll pay close attention to "Martz talk" in the coming months, because if you look at a guy like Furrey, no other coach has/or will (IMO) put someone in a better place to succeed. I don't think there is a more obscure 75 reception receiver, let alone a 98 reception receiver in NFL history...first guy Martz jumps on, I will be quick to follow.
the good first step is he's running alongside Hester with the #1's and Bennett rightfully so is behind him on the depth chart.

This is interesting I found the reception break down for the Martz offenses. > http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2010/2/18...eak-down-of-the

I am having a hard time predicting which Chicago player will be the key cogs in the Martz machine.
Nice article, but it goes back to my point "does he get it". Furrey was displaced for Mcdonald, because he knew ths system...now Furrey's 98 ctach season before would show that he did get it, so maybe the real question is whether he brings in an old favorite...only one I could think of would be Curtis, and if the Bears end up with him all bets are off, but what all those stats show me is that he rides the hot hand even more than the old Smith/Delhomme combo. When you take Bruce/Holt out of the equation from the Rams days (both were excellent in their own right), you are left with a guy who will get 30% more reception than the next...

Zimm said:
I vowed I was not going to post for 1 year but after reading your post I had to break my vow to tell you you have no idea what you are talking about. Way to go! Now I'm leaving again.

Zimm said:
:loco: Knox hands are one of the best attributes of his game
That's my thought as well. I think Knox could be a version of Az Hakiim but with more catches. They both can catch and are full of guts.

This is interesting I found the reception break down for the Martz offenses. > http://www.windycitygridiron.com/2010/2/18...eak-down-of-the

I am having a hard time predicting which Chicago player will be the key cogs in the Martz machine.
Nice article, but it goes back to my point "does he get it". Furrey was displaced for Mcdonald, because he knew ths system...now Furrey's 98 ctach season before would show that he did get it, so maybe the real question is whether he brings in an old favorite...only one I could think of would be Curtis, and if the Bears end up with him all bets are off, but what all those stats show me is that he rides the hot hand even more than the old Smith/Delhomme combo. When you take Bruce/Holt out of the equation from the Rams days (both were excellent in their own right), you are left with a guy who will get 30% more reception than the next...
I seriously doubt there is a chance they bring in a WR and stunt the development of all the young guys on the roster. They have plenty of depth in Knox, Aroma, Hester, Bennett, Iglesias...that's 5 guys already, Davis will likely make it as a ST's guy unless Barnes can take his roster spot...throw in Olsen who is basically a big WR and there isn't room on the roster for a vet without cutting one of the young guysI see Knox as more Torry Holt than Furrey if he can fine tune his game. Since Aroma is the WR3 he seems most likely to be in the Furrey/McD role (where both Furrey and McDonald were at when they had career seasons)

I didn't have a 1st round pick in our Dynasty rookie/FA draft but had the 2.02 pick and waqs lucky to nab WR Devin Aromashodu with the 2.02 pick. A lot of prognositcators/projectionists don't think that Aromashodu fitsthe Martz offensive scheme and that Knox does. So it looks like Hester and Knox will be the starts come week 1 in Martz' system. I guess Martz likes the speed guys to work in his system so odds point to Hester and Knox being the main beneficiaries, which is understandable. While defenses will be keying inon those two that leaves may Aromashodu with some good opportunities. I got Aromashodu in the 2nd round and alreadt had Knox on the roster so hopefully I'll hit on at least one of them. If both produce that's be great. We know Cutler pushed for Aroma to get playing time last year and when he did he got good numbers posting 22 catches/282 rec. yds./4 td's. so if Martz' guys Hester & Knox aren't open you can bet Cutler will be looking for Aromashodu. Martz' system kinda runs on speed, short precise quick routes and Cutler getting the ball out of his hands quickly. Those might be a little harder on Aromashodu but if the O-line can protect Cutler and give him a few more seconds to find a guyI think Devin A. could benefit in that case. A lot are saying Aromashosu doesn't or isn't the right fit for Martz' system which may be true but if Hester and Knox aren't getting it done then Mad Mike has gotta tweak his system to see that Deven A. has a chance to get the ball or they'

re gonna fail in moving the ball down the field.

You gotta score points to win and I think that Cutler & Devin A. have the chemistry between them to help the Bears put points on the board. Martz may find himself having to adjust his ego and swallow his pride a bit if he's going to be a team player and do what's necessary to put points on the board and help the Bear win. If that means tweaking his system to get the ball to Aromashodu the ball then that's what he'll have to do or suffer the consequences of possibly losing some games.He's going to have to understand not to solely depend on Hester & Knox to get it done and get the ball in Aromashodu's hands. If the Bears are going to be successful this year Mad Mike has got to make sure he gets the ball to all 3, Hester,Knox and Aromashodu. Here's what some of the FBG's staff have for these 3 in terms of production. Main guys projections I'm using were Jason Wood, Bob Henry and 1 Maurile Trembley(I went the the two who had the highest projections)

Devin Hester:

M.Trembley- 58 recep/759 yds/5 td's

B.Henry- 50 recep/670 yds/6 td's

//////////////////////////////////////////////////

Johnny Knox:

J.Wood- 65 recep/725 yds/5 td's

B. Henry- 58 recep/807 yds/5 td's

Devin Aromashodu-

B. Henry- 66 recep/868 yds/4 td's

J.Wood- 74 recep/1010 yds/6 td's

Even though I have both Knox and Aromashosu I'm hoping Aromashodu has the better year. As long as both have good years I'll be satisfied. I have both of them as my # 4 WR as I have Roddy Whit, Brandon Marshall and Steve Breaston ahead of them. We'll just have to wait and see if Mad Mike Martz' system is gonna help the Bears or send the team into obscurity.

Throw any of the 5 WR's(Hester, DA, Knox, Bennett, Iglesius) in a hat and any of them could be "the guy".

Heck 4 of them all got hyped at one point in the season last year in Chicago.

Iglesius basically redshirted(just like Bennett did the year before) he could emerge and was a 3rd round pick(drafted ahead of Knox).

My 2cents are that Knox and DA will have the greatest FF impact this season....but it is a mess to figure it out.

Throw any of the 5 WR's(Hester, DA, Knox, Bennett, Iglesius) in a hat and any of them could be "the guy".Heck 4 of them all got hyped at one point in the season last year in Chicago.Iglesius basically redshirted(just like Bennett did the year before) he could emerge and was a 3rd round pick(drafted ahead of Knox).My 2cents are that Knox and DA will have the greatest FF impact this season....but it is a mess to figure it out.
I'm with you on this one. I too think that by season's end that Knox and Aromashodu will have the most impact on receiving for the Bears this year. It's true you could throw all 5 in a hat and pick one out and that very well could be the one, although I think Hester,Knox & Aroma have a little better odds than the other two. I hear they're excited about Iglesias as well. Watch though, we'll all get fooled and Earl Bennett will jump up outta nowhere, since he's currently 4th, and end up the top guy. I hope not but for sure stranger things have happened in the NFL. I'm just anxious to see how well Martz' system is gonna work for the Bears.

all i know is one of the crew is gonna blow up (hester, knox, bennett or aroma)

i am keeping a close eye in the preseason on this........because you can get pretty much all them guys at a decent value since none of them put up Andre Johnson number last year

all i know is one of the crew is gonna blow up (hester, knox, bennett or aroma)
Martz' 2nd season in Det no receiver had 1,000 yards- but 4 guys had 650-950. With as even as the talent level seems to be within the receiving corps I wouldn't put it past the system to produce more results like that.

The main concern and question is will Cutler "get it" in year one of the Martz offense.
Some insider on Sirius a few weeks ago said Martz has been raving about Cutler picking up things so quickly. He's had him studying Kurt Warner film in the offense almost exclusively. I'm real high on Cutler this season and think Forte will outperform his ADP. I don't know why people are thinking Hester won't do well though. What's the issue there?I do like Knox a lot as well and see him as the #2 or #3 option on the team behind Forte and Hester. Olson is going to suffer though.

The main concern and question is will Cutler "get it" in year one of the Martz offense.
Some insider on Sirius a few weeks ago said Martz has been raving about Cutler picking up things so quickly. He's had him studying Kurt Warner film in the offense almost exclusively. I'm real high on Cutler this season and think Forte will outperform his ADP. I don't know why people are thinking Hester won't do well though. What's the issue there?I do like Knox a lot as well and see him as the #2 or #3 option on the team behind Forte and Hester. Olson is going to suffer though.
That's what i see. Hester has the best chance to excel. From what I read Martz is super high on him.

That's all well and good...but after the season he just came off of...I want to see it in a regular season game at NFL speed against first stringers....then we will see if he get's it. Making read...adjustments at the line...knowing where everyone is...and reacting in a split second with a brand new playbook...it's a daunting task...I always liked Cutlers physical talent....but he played like a total bonehead last year.

TheFanatic said:
I don't know why people are thinking Hester won't do well though. What's the issue there?
He's a great return guy and a mediocre at best WR. But that's just my take on him. I won't touch him in any league...
Yes, exactly... Hester is not good.Hester's going to turn 28 this year and has 8 career touchdown receptions. He runs terrible routes, which often include stopping on the routes, loafing, and breaking the wrong way. He's short. He isn't stronger or tougher than any #1 CB he will face. He can't catch a thing when he is off his feet. He doesn't present well, presents small as a target, gets knocked around like a pinball, and is frequently confused about where he should be going. He averages 2.67 receiving touchdowns per season over the last three years.If he does break out this year, it will be a huge surprise to me.The best case scenario for the Bears will be if DA, EB and JK are the first three receivers. The truth is that none of these Bears receivers should be considered even average starting talent in the NFL at this point in their careers. That doesn't mean that some of them won't get you production this year, and it may even be Hester, because they are paying him far too much to ride the pine. It also doesn't mean that none of them will eventually be very good. I expect DA to be a talent who blossomed late and for EB to be a steady, reliable #2 receiver for a long time. We'll see. Earl Bennett again is being forced this year (as he was his rookie year) by the Bears to learn three Wide Receiver positions while the others are learning one.

Ultimately, I think the situation plays out similar to in NO. You want the trigger man, not the slew of athletes sharing reps and touches. Cutler is the Bear to own, especially in leagues with 6 point passing TDs and performance bonuses for yardage. That being said, I'm taking whichever one of DA, Hester, Knox and Bennett is on the board last (given the opportunity) because it's a crap shoot who's gonna be the guy that's a worthy fantasy starter and I'd rather blow a 11th or 12th round pick on that chance than a 6th or 7th rounder.

The best case scenario for the Bears will be if DA, EB and JK are the first three receivers. The truth is that none of these Bears receivers should be considered even average starting talent in the NFL at this point in their careers. That doesn't mean that some of them won't get you production this year, and it may even be Hester, because they are paying him far too much to ride the pine. It also doesn't mean that none of them will eventually be very good. I expect DA to be a talent who blossomed late and for EB to be a steady, reliable #2 receiver for a long time. We'll see. Earl Bennett again is being forced this year (as he was his rookie year) by the Bears to learn three Wide Receiver positions while the others are learning one.
I agree with this for the most part. I hope that the reason that Bennett is being pushed down the depth chart is because of his surgery. As far as WR skills, he is the best the Bears have. He may not have the speed that Martz desires, but he has enough speed to be successful at this level. With regard to a Furrey comparison, I think Bennett is the most similar of the Bears WR. That being said, whoever picks up the offense the fastest will likely be the most successful, and that does not bode well for Hester.

TheFanatic said:
I don't know why people are thinking Hester won't do well though. What's the issue there?
He's a great return guy and a mediocre at best WR. But that's just my take on him. I won't touch him in any league...
:lmao:
Yep, I agree. Hester was just an expensive project. He's always been that way. He was a man without a position in college as well. His physical attributes got him to the show because, well, he's gifted but not in one area. They need to put less pressure on Hester and let him be their Josh Cribbs. Stop trying to shove the square block into the circle hole. Give Hester some option plays, direct snaps, etc. Slant Routes, Button Hooks, not his bag...

(KFFL) Chicago Bears WR Johnny Knox is entrenched as one of the team's starting wide receivers after performing well during offseason workouts, according to ESPNChicago.com's Jeff Dickerson.

(Rotoworld) According to ESPN Chicago, Johnny Knox is "firmly entrenched" as the Bears' starting split end.

Analysis: New offensive coordinator Mike Martz is extremely nit-picky when it comes to the "little things" receivers do, so it's quite promising that Knox -- a D-IAA product -- has come along quickly with regard to route running and the like. Quickly emerging as one of our favorite WR3 sleeper candidates, Knox is squarely on the radar as a middle-round fantasy pick.

(RotoWire) In offensive coordinator Mike Martz's new system, Knox believes he can compete with guys like Roddy White, DeSean Jackson, Steve Smith, and Miles Austin as a top receiver in the league, the Chicago Tribune reports.

Analysis: Its a lofty goal, but in Martz's pass-first offense, no one stands to gain more than the quarterback and his receivers. Knox is currently penciled in as the Bears' starting wideout, alongside Devin Hester. And if he can hold off Devin Aromashodu, Earl Bennett, Rashied Davis, and Juaquin Iglesias in camp, he could be a late-round steal in fantasy drafts. Knox also carries extra value in leagues that value return yardage. The plan right now is for Devin Hester to be the primary punt returner. However, Knox, who made the Pro Bowl last year as a returner, could potentially take over if Hester struggles again this year.

One week its Aroma, then its Knox, then its Hester... I've been putting my money on Hester so far. He was doing decent until he got injuried last yr and hes getting by far the most $$.... that usually means you get first crack at it.

At all of these players ADP its worth taking a shot on any of them.

Link

Johnny Knox looks to be Bears' top receiverJohnny Knox - WR - Chicago BearsMore team newsAug. 3, 2010 - 10:05 PM ET

According to the Chicago Tribune's Brad Biggs, Johnny Knox is emerging as the Bears' No. 1 receiver in training camp.

Knox's Average Draft Position is rising rapidly, so he's losing true "sleeper" appeal in fantasy leagues. It's for good reason. The speedster has been heavily targeted on a daily basis by Jay Cutler. 1,000 receiving yards are within reach for Knox in new Bears OC Mike Martz's up-tempo offense. To get him, you'll probably have to grab Knox before the ninth round at this point.

Link

NFL Predictions for 2010 Season: Will Johnny Knox Be Next Miles Austin?

By Dustin Brown (Correspondent) on August 3, 2010 2

Entering the season before an alleged lockout takes place, the faithful fans of the Chicago Bears and Dallas Cowboys face expectations that are seemingly sky-high.

Lovie Smith, and Jerry Angelo have come to grips with reality. Their respective fates as a Chicago's head coach and general manager is hanging by a mere thread.

With a revamped offensive scheme, much needed assistance at the defensive line, and secondary advances, there is no reason for failure in 2010. It's do or die for the former NFC champions, who were competing in the Super Bowl just four years ago.

In Dallas, head coach Wade Phillips will no longer be out of the hot seat if all falls apart for the undoubtedly talented squad that some consider America's team once again. Owner Jerry Jones is not one to keep losers around.

While all seems negative for the couple of underachieving teams, there are bright spots within each team's wide-out position.

Johnny Knox, the fifth round pick out of Abilene Christian last year, has become a fan favorite for the Bears.

Like Dallas favorite Miles Austin, a Monmouth University product, Knox wasn't looked upon as a future star.

While Austin had his breakout year at receiver, catching 81 passes for 1,320 yards and 11 touchdowns in 2009, Knox was quietly making a name for himself.

In the season opener, Knox immediately garndered some attention after he beat veteran cornerback Charles Woodson on his way to catching a 68-yard bomb against the Green Bay Packers.

After Knox's preseason performances and contribution in the first game of the year, the 140th overall selection went on to earn 45 receptions for 527 yards, five touchdowns, and a spot beside Austin in the Pro Bowl.

While Austin is Tony Romo's number one target coming into 2010, the Bears look to gain a new identity as a passing offense with Knox lining up against the second corner.

Chicago's radio analyst Tom Thayer says he believes out of the Chicago's youthful receiving corps, Knox should emerge as the most successful receiver.

Will Knox's numbers rival that of Austin's?

Well, Knox and Miles are similar in multiple ways.

Blazing speed is something neither athlete lacks, with both players running under a 4.35 in their combines.

Both Knox and Austin have been looked as a "natural receiver", opposed to a learning wide-out. However, let their play on the gridiron speak for that opinion.

Large, rich schools are something Johnny and Miles aren't accustomed to, coming out of no-name facilities in Abilene Christian and Monmouth.

Neither receiver was even heard of in their respective draft classes, while Miles was an undrafted free agent and Knox being drafted in the fifth round.

Each target is a favorite in terms of their franchise quarterback, and can be used in multiple situations.

Knox is poised for a breakout year in 2010. Will he reach the likes of Austin when it comes to level of play?

Check out chicitysports.com, where this article was originally written. - Dustin Brown

Johnny Knox: Knox's controlled speed perfect for offense?

Johnny Knox - WR - CHI - Jul. 31 - 5:08 pm et

Ex-Bears QB Brett Basanez believes Johnny Knox's ability to "control" his elite speed makes him an ideal fit for coordinator Mike Martz's offense.

Translation: Knox doesn't lose speed or quickness while cutting on his routes. He's closer to Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce than the other Bears receivers. It's also worth noting that Jay Cutler threw more often, "by far," to Knox than any other receiver in Friday's opening practice. Jul. 31 - 5:08 pm et

Sounds like Knox could be one of those guys that goes from underrated to overrated in a big hurry. I like him for the right price but I question his body type a little bit as far as being able to absorb the poundring of 80+ catches. He just seems too small.

Sounds like Knox could be one of those guys that goes from underrated to overrated in a big hurry. I like him for the right price but I question his body type a little bit as far as being able to absorb the poundring of 80+ catches. He just seems too small.
He is slight but has a similar build to Holt years back.

His build is much closer to Isaac Bruce than Tory Holt. If he adds 5 lbs of muscle, hes exact build as Bruce. Hell, the height/weight listing (6'0" 180lb) are all from over a year and a half ago. He's probably already put on a few lbs since then. He might even be 190+ at this point.

I don't think he'll be overrated this year. People can say that they like Johnny Knox but I don't think there will be too many people in your drafts who are dead set on him having a big season. I like Knox as my Wr3 with some upside. I'd hate to have to draft him as my Wr2 and force him to live up to that billiing. Just keep a track on his ADP closer to your drafts and be prepared to take him at the right spot. He's the kind of guy that could really help strengthen your fantasy team and if somehow the pick fails, it shouldn't kill your draft at where you acquired him.

Users who are viewing this thread