What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Jonathan Stewart (1 Viewer)

From RotoWorld. Decide for yourselves if Stewart is throwing his O Line under the bus.

Jonathan Stewart seemed to blame his 14-carry, 30-yard performance in Sunday's loss to St. Louis on the Panthers' offensive line.

"Did you see any holes?" Stewart said Monday. "As an offensive unit, we're just not making enough plays. Point blank." With RT Jeff Otah (knee) not due back before Week 10 at the earliest, Carolina will continue to struggle to create running lanes. The Panthers currently rank 28th in rushing offense.

Source: ESPN.com
This is the only useful piece of info in this whole thread... Any CAR homers think the running game turns around when Otah returns? You'd think one guy couldn't be the lynchpin for an entire offensive line/running game... but Otah is pretty huge/good isn't he?
Passing game is a bit of a problem as well..

He's definitely droppable. I'm trying to see if I can get anything from the DWill owner first. Carolina abandons the run at the slightest provocation. :goodposting:Also, Stewarts injuries are obviously finally taking a toll. I posted earlier that he no longer had "it" and this definitely showed that in a big way. Maybe their line is just that putrid but when you are a backup and averaging a full yard less than the starter that is a major warning sign.
goodness gracious! Talk about over-exaggeration! Look, I'm down on Stewart just like the next guy, but let's not go overboard. On a pure talent basis, Jstew is on of the most talented young backs in the league. His talent is unquestioned, and he hasn't lost anything. What's happened is his team is atrocious. Pure and simple. Adrian Peterson wouldn't look too much better in Jstew's position. Carolina just cannot run the ball. The offensive line is beyond horrible and the coach doesn't even stick with the run.Let's not go overboard and saying that Jstew has lost "it."

From RotoWorld. Decide for yourselves if Stewart is throwing his O Line under the bus.

Jonathan Stewart seemed to blame his 14-carry, 30-yard performance in Sunday's loss to St. Louis on the Panthers' offensive line.

"Did you see any holes?" Stewart said Monday. "As an offensive unit, we're just not making enough plays. Point blank." With RT Jeff Otah (knee) not due back before Week 10 at the earliest, Carolina will continue to struggle to create running lanes. The Panthers currently rank 28th in rushing offense.

Source: ESPN.com
This is the only useful piece of info in this whole thread... Any CAR homers think the running game turns around when Otah returns? You'd think one guy couldn't be the lynchpin for an entire offensive line/running game... but Otah is pretty huge/good isn't he?
Passing game is a bit of a problem as well..
I agree.. but when Stewart and DeA were going off last year the passing game was pretty horrible too to start... if Otah comes back and the running game opens up.. the passing game will get easier for whichever horrible QB is back there... they become game managers not someone who has to shoulder the load (still not sure why Fox isn't running the ball 30 times a game with their terrible passing game.. at least at RB the have talent)...

Clifford said:
No I really think Stewart is droppable in dynasty as well. I can't come up with a single excuse for him other than he simply isn't any good anymore. He's been injured all through college and ever offseason he's been a pro and I think it has finally caught up with him and he can't run anymore.
This is, without any hyperbole, the silliest thing I have ever read in the Shark Pool.
People said I was nuts for saying McFadden was a better pro prospect than Stewart.People called me a homer for saying the Vikes would be lucky to win 8 games this year back in early August.

People said I was nuts to trade Moss when the trade to Minny happened.

:lmao: I might be nuts but what I see is a perpetually dinged backup who can't even get over 2.8 ypc when handed a feature role. If I am wrong I will be happy to be so as I just traded for him thinking it was being a backup that held him back. Sorry but a 2.1 ypc is bad no matter how many sprinkles you try to put on top.
Oh boy...the major thing i hate about drafting busts is these type of posts. You always have the guys that come on the board saying "yes, one of the most talented RBs in the game today is droppable in DYNASTY formats and i told you so." Of course it is after the fact, but that doesn't stop them. Yes, since i don't draft busts too often, I hate this more than the detrimental effect that these busts bring to my team!Unfortunately, these same people arrive on my sleepers and steals of the draft to say, after the fact of course, that "they knew it all along that this player was going to be a stud." Fortunately I like the positive effects of these steals and deals of the draft more than the "i told you so's" that i have to be subjected to in these threads regarding said players. I have no respite!

Overall it's a win to draft more steals and deals than busts, lol....

The troubling season for Carolina’s “Double Trouble” backfield is only getting worse.

Adam Schefter of ESPN reports via two sources that the Panthers are “strongly considering” placing DeAngelo Williams on injured reserve. The decision could come as soon as Wednesday. Williams has a “strained arch” that is expected to keep him out at least another month.

This is the first sign that the Panthers are starting to look ahead to next year and think a little differently than they might if they were in playoff contention. Williams’ usual backfield mate Jonathan Stewart also missed last week’s game with a concussion but should be back soon.

The Panthers are 27th in rushing yards this season, with Mike Goodson of all people having one of their best performance of the season last week against Tampa.

As soon as Williams is placed on IR, I'm gonna try to package Stewart with Mike Thomas or Jaffney for a better WR.

What is Stewart's status? Someone in my league dropped him last week. I'll probably grab him, but just curious if he's actually playing anytime soon.

Psyched that i finally get to drop one of these worthless panthers from my team. There isn't a single RB on the waiver wire worth picking up, but at least I don't have to debate between getting 4 pts from stewart or 4 points from dwill each week anymore.

Stewart worth grabbing with DWill going on IR? Or is the whole running game in Carolina worthless?
I dropped him earlier (of course) and now this comes out.Though, I don't feel too bad about it at this point.That running game has been bad and with no Otah, I don't see it getting much better.Not enough to trust for any playoff run.

Stewart worth grabbing with DWill going on IR? Or is the whole running game in Carolina worthless?
I dropped him earlier (of course) and now this comes out.Though, I don't feel too bad about it at this point.That running game has been bad and with no Otah, I don't see it getting much better.Not enough to trust for any playoff run.
Not necessarily looking for RB1 or even RB2 numbers. A good flex back in a ppr league would be nice to find this late in the season. Best has been filling that role for me with incredibly unspectacular results.

I'm concerned that Stewart is still not practicing after being hurt two weeks ago. That must've been a serious concussion. But I'll try to pick him up and hope he can return next week and stay healthy the rest of the season. He was looking real good before he got hurt against the Saints so maybe he could be a low-end RB2.

As soon as Williams is placed on IR, I'm gonna try to package Stewart with Mike Thomas or Jaffney for a better WR.
Keep us posted.
gsmayes, any word yet? It's been 3 hours!Not expecting much out of Stewart. Not sure what's going on with him. With Goodson's success the other week, I think there's a glimmer of hope for Stewart if he starts, but I'm not expecting a repeat of last season's tear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Stewart told the local beat writer that he's still experiencing concussion symptoms. I expect that he will be a scratch this week. The o-line is also in shambles and Pike/St. Croix split reps 50/50 in practice. This is the worst offense in the league by a longshot.

Agreed. I dropped Stewart for Keiland Williams 2 days ago :lmao:If my RBs werent so terrible, I wouldnt be angry as not just JStew but CAR as a whole has done nothing all year. Doubtful it turns around now, but Id still rather have him on my roster instead of a guy like Keiland.

Am I nuts to think that I'd rather have Mike Goodson in a PPR at this point?

Because I'd rather have Mike Goodson in a PPR at this point.

Am I nuts to think that I'd rather have Mike Goodson in a PPR at this point?Because I'd rather have Mike Goodson in a PPR at this point.
I think if Stewart gets healthy he'll be the guy. I don't know if there's reason to believe otherwise. This is also a good chance for the Panthers to evaluate Stewart over the course of an extensive period of games as the starter. If he does well - especially now given all of the team's problems - it certainly makes the decision to let Williams go as a FA after the season a much easier one should they choose to go that route. If Stewart struggles as the lead back then the team might be more inclined to do whatever it takes to keep Williams and continue with the dual-backfield approach next season. But I do think that if he gets healthy he'll be the starter and get 15+ carries a game with Goodson the third-down RB for the rest of the season. I'm not sure there are many RBs sitting on WWs right now who that can be said about so that alone gives Stewart a lot of value in my opinion. He may not do anything with those carries but he seems pretty much a lock to get them if healthy. When he gets healthy is the question. If he's still experiencing concussion symptoms two weeks after the injury that's not good.

It's never good when a player has no idea when he'll be able to play since they almost always tend to be optimistic about quick recoveries. Here's what Stewart had to say about his status on Wednesday. Seems pretty much a lock that he's out this week:

Stewart walked through the locker room with a hooded sweatshirt on and said he’s still recovering from the blow he took 10 days ago from New Orleans safety Darren Sharper that left him hospitalized for a night.

“It was a big blow,” Stewart conceded.

When asked when he’ll be back on the field, Stewart was non-committal, saying, “I don’t know. It really and truly takes time for it to heal. When that time gets around, I’ll be ready. It can be 48 hours from now, a week or two weeks. Who knows?”

Link

I have Dwill in a keeper and Stewart is on the waiver. There isn't a lot of room on my roster. Droppable players are Torain and both S. Smiths. Suggestions?

I have Dwill in a keeper and Stewart is on the waiver. There isn't a lot of room on my roster. Droppable players are Torain and both S. Smiths. Suggestions?
I still like Stewart in a keeper format. I'd much rather have him than Torain. So if Torain wasn't someone you would be starting the rest of this season if he was healthy I'd drop him and pick up Stewart.

I still like Stewart in a keeper format. I'd much rather have him than Torain. So if Torain wasn't someone you would be starting the rest of this season if he was healthy I'd drop him and pick up Stewart.
Thanks. It's done. Provided there's no lockout next season I should have some interesting RB prospects.

It's never good when a player has no idea when he'll be able to play since they almost always tend to be optimistic about quick recoveries. Here's what Stewart had to say about his status on Wednesday. Seems pretty much a lock that he's out this week:

Stewart walked through the locker room with a hooded sweatshirt on and said he’s still recovering from the blow he took 10 days ago from New Orleans safety Darren Sharper that left him hospitalized for a night.

When asked when he’ll be back on the field, Stewart was non-committal, saying, “I don’t know. It really and truly takes time for it to heal. When that time gets around, I’ll be ready. It can be 48 hours from now, a week or two weeks. Who knows?”

Link
Yeah, don't like the sound of this and didn't know he was hospitalized. Hope it isn't like Mourneaui, the MN Twins player who missed half the baseball season! Most concussions are one week, two at most, in football.

I think if Stewart gets healthy he'll be the guy. I don't know if there's reason to believe otherwise. This is also a good chance for the Panthers to evaluate Stewart over the course of an extensive period of games as the starter. If he does well - especially now given all of the team's problems - it certainly makes the decision to let Williams go as a FA after the season a much easier one should they choose to go that route. If Stewart struggles as the lead back then the team might be more inclined to do whatever it takes to keep Williams and continue with the dual-backfield approach next season. But I do think that if he gets healthy he'll be the starter and get 15+ carries a game with Goodson the third-down RB for the rest of the season. I'm not sure there are many RBs sitting on WWs right now who that can be said about so that alone gives Stewart a lot of value in my opinion. He may not do anything with those carries but he seems pretty much a lock to get them if healthy. When he gets healthy is the question. If he's still experiencing concussion symptoms two weeks after the injury that's not good.
While in general, I agree with you, the term "healthy" and "Jonathan Stewart" probably hasn't been something you could say with a straight face very often, as it relates to football, since he was probably about 17.My opinion is this.....even if Stewart's healthy and starting, as lousy as the Panthers are they will likely be behind so frequently that Goodson winds up with very nearly an equal # of snaps most weeks.I certainly don't believe Goodson is as talented as Stewart. He isn't.....but he's about 100 shades healthier(seemingly) and has been the guy they've put in there as the 'come from behind RB' pretty much all year, even when Williams was also healthy.The concussion/non-practicing news from yesterday makes me feel even more "confident" about Goodson going forward, at least in PPR leagues or PPR/Return leagues. As mentioned, still having the concussion symptoms 2 weeks out......not good ju-ju.

Link
My understanding is that ideally you want to go 5 days w/o symptoms before resuming any type of strenous exercise.

While in general, I agree with you, the term "healthy" and "Jonathan Stewart" probably hasn't been something you could say with a straight face very often, as it relates to football, since he was probably about 17.My opinion is this.....even if Stewart's healthy and starting, as lousy as the Panthers are they will likely be behind so frequently that Goodson winds up with very nearly an equal # of snaps most weeks.I certainly don't believe Goodson is as talented as Stewart. He isn't.....but he's about 100 shades healthier(seemingly) and has been the guy they've put in there as the 'come from behind RB' pretty much all year, even when Williams was also healthy.The concussion/non-practicing news from yesterday makes me feel even more "confident" about Goodson going forward, at least in PPR leagues or PPR/Return leagues. As mentioned, still having the concussion symptoms 2 weeks out......not good ju-ju.
I agree with that. I also agree that Goodson will have a role. However, I believe that if Stewart is healthy (and yes I realize that's a big "if" at the moment), he's a lock to get 15-20 carries a game as the starter. He'll clearly be the guy in the Carolina backfield. I don't envision a time share. I don't envision a RBBC. I think the job will be Stewart's as it was previously whenever he started for an injured Williams. Now whether he can generate any production with those touches is obviously the question and so far this season the Carolina running game has been miserable so there's definitely reason for apprehension. But when I looked at the WW this week in my league there was only one RB who I am convinced will get 15+ carries each week as a starter the remainder of the season if he's healthy and that was Stewart. So I added him after dropping him last week (it's also a keeper league so if nothing else I may have another option to consider for 2011). It may not pan out but at this point I'm willing to gamble because there wasn't another RB on my league's WW who had anywhere close to the potential to get volume carries that Stewart has if healthy. My main concern now isn't Mike Goodson, it's when Stewart will be healthy. I don't expect him to play this week but I'm concerned that we're two weeks after the injury and he's still having concussion symptoms.

packersfan said:
I agree with that. I also agree that Goodson will have a role. However, I believe that if Stewart is healthy (and yes I realize that's a big "if" at the moment), he's a lock to get 15-20 carries a game as the starter. He'll clearly be the guy in the Carolina backfield. I don't envision a time share. I don't envision a RBBC. I think the job will be Stewart's as it was previously whenever he started for an injured Williams. Now whether he can generate any production with those touches is obviously the question and so far this season the Carolina running game has been miserable so there's definitely reason for apprehension. But when I looked at the WW this week in my league there was only one RB who I am convinced will get 15+ carries each week as a starter the remainder of the season if he's healthy and that was Stewart. So I added him after dropping him last week (it's also a keeper league so if nothing else I may have another option to consider for 2011). It may not pan out but at this point I'm willing to gamble because there wasn't another RB on my league's WW who had anywhere close to the potential to get volume carries that Stewart has if healthy. My main concern now isn't Mike Goodson, it's when Stewart will be healthy. I don't expect him to play this week but I'm concerned that we're two weeks after the injury and he's still having concussion symptoms.
I completely agree that Stewart's biggest problem isn't Goodson, it's his health. And make no mistake, I don't envision a 'time share' if Stewart's healthy either. What I do envision is precisely what's been happening so far this season: that Fox would totally intend to give his starting RB at least 15 touches each and every game(in this case, Stew).....and have that gameplan go sailing right out the porthole by the 2nd half when they're down a couple TDs and have to throw. Goodson comes in and narc's more than his usual 3rd down snaps as they're forced to throw, gets 3-5 catches, and winds up outproducing the starter. As crazy as it sounds, that's happened 6 out of 9 weeks already in most of my leagues when either Williams or Stewart(sometimes both) were playing/starting.In a dynasty or keeper, Stewart is a no-brainer add/acquire/hold. Goodson does nothing to his long-term value. For THIS season though, that team has so much wrong with it I just can't get that excited about anyone on that offense. If I had to plug in someone in at Flex in a "must win week" over the next couple games, and had only Stewart and Goodson to choose between, after I got done shooting the hostage I don't know if I could feel good about putting in Stewart in just about any circumstance. I guess in non-PPR he'd still clearly be the play, otherwise I don't think I could do it.Concussed, no Otah, Tony Pike at QB, hasn't looked good at all this year even when healthy.....seems like a lost season for Stewart(and Carolina) all around.

Concussed, no Otah, Tony Pike at QB, hasn't looked good at all this year even when healthy.....seems like a lost season for Stewart(and Carolina) all around.
I agree that's very likely. The Panthers have been a mess all season. Like I said, I'm willing to gamble on a guy who, when healthy, seems to me to be a lock for 15-20 carries each week as the starter. It may not pay off but he's by far the RB with the most potential for carries on my WW so I'll roll the dice and see what happens.

He might get like all the carries from week 12 on.. he might be huge.. but he might not.. it is carolina
There is definitely some potential to make an impact for Stewart. It really all depends on whether the coaching staff leans on him or splits the carries between Stewart and Goodson. Goodson had a decent game against a bad rushing defense last week. It was the best performance, statistically, by any Carolina RB this year. However, two factors led to that: (1) the Bucs are not good at stopping the run, and (2) Goodson was featured heavily. If Carolina decides to feature Stewart heavily I think he could get into a rhythm and start to make an impact. I wouldn't expect the kind of upside that people thought the Carolina running game could produce prior to the season, but maybe middle of the road to marginal RB2 numbers. If Carolina decides to keep Goodson involved, Stewart will be no better than a lousy flex option. He would likely get the goal line carries, but how many of those will there be?Another thing to consider: The Panthers are likely to be playing from behind a lot for the rest of the season. This could result in heavy usage of Goodson.If for some reason Stewart cannot come back for awhile from the concussion, Goodson could actually be fairly valuable. He would be involved no matter how far behind the team is. Summary: One of these two might end up a marginal RB2 as upside for the rest of the season. They both might end up marginal flexes, though, if both remain involved.

Thanks. It's done. Provided there's no lockout next season I should have some interesting RB prospects.
With Stewart and Wells as my RBs in my dynasty league, it might be best for me if the NFL does lockout and lets them rest an entire year...lol

Disclaimer - Small Sample Size Alert:

In the one game Stewart started this season he got 14 carries and Goodson got one.

Again, small sample size but when Stewart has started he has been the guy without question. I honestly don't think that is going to change. I could be wrong but Stewart is a 1,000-yard rusher who has prior to this season but an absolute stud as a starter or when given starter's carries. I really don't believe Goodson is going to change that beyond being a third-down RB. If Stewart is healthy, I truly believe he will dominate the carries as he always has when the starter.

Disclaimer - Small Sample Size Alert:In the one game Stewart started this season he got 14 carries and Goodson got one. Again, small sample size but when Stewart has started he has been the guy without question. I honestly don't think that is going to change. I could be wrong but Stewart is a 1,000-yard rusher who has prior to this season but an absolute stud as a starter or when given starter's carries. I really don't believe Goodson is going to change that beyond being a third-down RB. If Stewart is healthy, I truly believe he will dominate the carries as he always has when the starter.
There are a few factors that could cause this to not be true, though. One is that Stewart has been ineffective this year. 69 carries for 208 yds on the season. He is just barely breaking the 3 ypc mark. His play this year hasn't been good enough to simply dismiss Goodson off hand. And it is hard to get excited about Stewart even if he is featured based on how he has performed this year when given opportunities.The other factor: expect Carolina to be well behind in ball games for the rest of the season. The 'third down back' could get extra work during some of these games.Its almost easier to get excited about Goodson's prospects if Stewart were to miss a large chunk of time than it is to get excited about Stewart's prospects when he returns this season.

When he's healthy, he'll be the starter and get the goal line carries. His playoff matchups look fantastic. Other than being on a crappy team, what more could you ask?

Its almost easier to get excited about Goodson's prospects if Stewart were to miss a large chunk of time than it is to get excited about Stewart's prospects when he returns this season.
We can agree to disagree on that. :blackdot: I'm not viewing Stewart as a RB1 if he returns but I do think that if he can return and stay healthy he's a lock for 15-20 carries a week. Maybe he'll only deliver RB3 production with those carries but I honestly believe he'll clearly be the primary RB with Goodson the third-down RB. I'm not concerned about Goodson being an issue. The issue I'm concerned about with Stewart is his health.

Its almost easier to get excited about Goodson's prospects if Stewart were to miss a large chunk of time than it is to get excited about Stewart's prospects when he returns this season.
We can agree to disagree on that. :blackdot: I'm not viewing Stewart as a RB1 if he returns but I do think that if he can return and stay healthy he's a lock for 15-20 carries a week. Maybe he'll only deliver RB3 production with those carries but I honestly believe he'll clearly be the primary RB with Goodson the third-down RB. I'm not concerned about Goodson being an issue. The issue I'm concerned about with Stewart is his health.
The thing is, Goodson would be the featured back getting 15-20 carries plus be the 3rd down and passing down back if Stewart were out. I just think he would be given greater opportunity than Stewart will if both are playing. And he may actually be capable of doing more with those opportunities than Stewart this year. Stewart needs to show me something this season before I put any belief in him. I'm not putting any consideration in Stewart's past performances. Those were with a different team. Players can be different players from season to season. Until I actually see otherwise on the field this season, I don't think Stewart is any better than Goodson. That said, no way is Goodson going to be featured if Stewart is able to play. But I also would temper my enthusiasm about Stewart just being given a featured role when he comes back. And I think Goodson could be pretty involved even if he was just the passing down back. Panthers are going to be in a lot of passing downs for the rest of the season.

My feeling is based on the talent I believe Stewart has and the role he has always played, including this season, as the starter. I don't expect the role to change and even though he has not played well this season I still believe he is a very talented RB.

Again, this team is a mess and likely will remain a mess so I'm not saying I think Stewart is going to win fantasy titles like he may have done late last season when he stepped into the starting lineup. I just believe that if he does return the job is his and will clearly be his. I'm not guaranteeing any level of production and acknowledge he could very well suck with 15-20 carries a game. But I do think he's damn near a lock to get them if he is the starter and stays healthy. So I'm willing to gamble on that with the understanding it is very much a gamble.

My feeling is based on the talent I believe Stewart has and the role he has always played, including this season, as the starter. I don't expect the role to change and even though he has not played well this season I still believe he is a very talented RB. Again, this team is a mess and likely will remain a mess so I'm not saying I think Stewart is going to win fantasy titles like he may have done late last season when he stepped into the starting lineup. I just believe that if he does return the job is his and will clearly be his. I'm not guaranteeing any level of production and acknowledge he could very well suck with 15-20 carries a game. But I do think he's damn near a lock to get them if he is the starter and stays healthy. So I'm willing to gamble on that with the understanding it is very much a gamble.
My feeling is that Goodson is a lock to cut into Stewart's production, barring some kind of miraculous re-emergence of the Carolina running game. This team will be lucky to win another game. They will be behind, and probably behind by a lot, for the rest of the season. Goodson would probably be better labeled as 'passing down' back than 3rd down back. I think there will be a lot of passing downs for the rest of the season and that is why Stewart would be lucky to have one game going forward with 20 carries. I just don't see many heavily featured games due to the situation the team is in. And I don't think Stewart has been all the way healthy this season.I think someone else made the point that while Goodson may not be as talented as Stewart, he does appear to be much healthier this season. A healthy Goodson could be better than a slowed down Stewart. Time will tell. But yeah, I think it is a little overly optimistic to think Stewart is going to be walking into a featured back role when he returns.

Users who are viewing this thread