What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Josh Freeman Released. Signs with Vikings. (1 Viewer)

If he clears waivers, someone can pick him up without the responsibility of the 8 million or whatever he was owed?

Oh man, seeya Josh. It's almost like FF. Drop, you're gone.

Oh well Bucs fans, wait `til next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
If he clears waivers, someone can pick him up without the responsibility of the 8 million or whatever he was owed?
I believe so. If I'm understanding the CBA correctly, he could double-dip here... making the guaranteed salary from the Bucs while whatever he can sign for with another team.

From overthecap (best site for this type of info):

(sic) The problem with that avenue is the fact that Freeman has enough years in the NFL to be eligible for Termination Pay, which means the balance of his salary for the year is fully guaranteed. That amount is $6.446 million. Even if he signed with another team the Buccaneers would have to pay that full amount once Freeman requested it. A 4 game suspension saves them $1.983 million of the remaining salary reducing the cost of release to $4.46 million once his suspension ends.

Honestly, the Bucs and more so Schiano should be ashamed of what they did to this kid. I really hope someone like the Vikings sign him and he has a resurgence. Schiano has had it out for him since day one for some reason. And the whole thing with them leaking his private medical history. It's just ridiculous. I'm really rooting for Freeman to find a spot on a team and start performing better than Glennon. I'd love to see him go to Minnesota or Tennessee and bring them to the playoffs. While the Bucs fade away at 3-13.

I wouldnt rule out any team really. I would say jags need a qb the most. The jets love a qb controversy. A division rival like the panthers. Who knows?

@PewterReport: Bucs coach Greg Schiano told season ticket holders this morning that the Bucs were the laughingstock of the NFL and that's why he was hired.

@PewterReport: Schiano said to season ticket holders this morning this "situation needed Greg Schiano."

:lmao: I hate him so ####ing much.

@PewterReport: Bucs coach Greg Schiano told season ticket holders this morning that the Bucs were the laughingstock of the NFL and that's why he was hired.

@PewterReport: Schiano said to season ticket holders this morning this "situation needed Greg Schiano."

WTF? I don't see any reason why he would be head coach next year.

Don't worry, he'll be lucky to survive the season.

This is the same guy that rushed the kneel down - He belongs in college...

Not a lot of places for Josh to go compete now. Obvious choices would be Cleveland, Jacksonville, Arizona and Oakland.

Not a lot of places for Josh to go compete now. Obvious choices would be Cleveland, Jacksonville, Arizona and Oakland.
I like Hoyer and Pryor so far... Jacksonville is just clueless and looks to be the winner of the Teddy Bridgewater sweepstakes. AZ is where QB's go to fail :) except Kurt...

Honestly, the Bucs and more so Schiano should be ashamed of what they did to this kid. I really hope someone like the Vikings sign him and he has a resurgence. Schiano has had it out for him since day one for some reason. And the whole thing with them leaking his private medical history. It's just ridiculous. I'm really rooting for Freeman to find a spot on a team and start performing better than Glennon. I'd love to see him go to Minnesota or Tennessee and bring them to the playoffs. While the Bucs fade away at 3-13.
What did they do to him? They drafted him in the first round, paid him millions of dollars, and surrounded him with talent only to watch him lose 5 out of 6 to end last year and lose the first three games this year?

What else should the Bucs front office have done? Pat him on the butt and say "go get em next time big guy?" This is professional sports.

Horrible move by the Bucs. The baby whines, acts up, goes on ESPN, misses meetings, etc. and they give him exactly what he wanted... They should have kept fining him and suspended him for 4 weeks. At least wait until the trade deadline to release the guy.

I don't like the head coach, but he wasn't Freemans problem. Freeman has sucked ever since 2010.

I am just glad they didn't give him a huge contract like Flacco.

Schiano = A#$*OLE + :crazy:

Never a good combination.

Not sure I'm buying that. I haven't heard Schiano utter anything anywhere near that animated in two years.

In regards to the whole "leaking of Stage 1 status in the drug program" issue, I was under the impression that the League and NFLPA and NOT the organization are aware that a player is in Stage 1...I believe it is kept secret from the team. If this is the case, why does everyone feel Schiano/Bucs released this information?

Dark horse team - Denver

I think Josh and Brees are buddies. If he's willing to wait, I'd love to see him learn behind Drew. Probably too long of a wait though.

I think the best spots for him would be Arizona, Jacksonville, Oakland or Minnesota

These teams don’t appear to have their long term QB on the current roster so maybe Freeman can get his act together at one of these spots

It backfired. It all did.

I am all for punishing the kid, missing meetings, meeting the team picture......but it became personal for Schiano.

Schiano cut Winslow bc he didn't want to get with the Schiano program. OK

When Freeman missed the first team meeting, he should have been suspended. first game, not 4th game.

After that third game, Schiano still stood behind him saying he was the starter......yet the next morning, he's getting benched? Glazers stepping in?

You allowed Freeman to get away with stuff......it was too late.

Then he benched him, banished him away from the sideline, and not allowed to dress. That part is personal. Then leaking the medical/drug info was nother backfire. Trying to trade him? Why release that info and lose any small amount of leverage you had?

Freeman went from a spoiled partying punk to a victim. Schiano is a clown.

Josh isn't going to be able to pick up a new system that fast. He has a learning disability.

Glazers stepping in?
This has always been the problem. These jokers have their hands on things just enough to screw things up. That's why they hired a "yes man" like Mark Dominick. They picked Raheem and they picked Schiano. They didn't spend any money when Gruden/Allen or Raheem were here, and then they hire Schiano and they they can buy another championship.

Some team is going to take a chance on Freeman but it is not going to matter. He is not good. Any team rolling with Freeman as their starting QB is desperate.

So was 2010 one of those lightning in a bottle, scott mitchell, type of seasons for Freeman? Even his completion % that year was up over 60%.

If he's smart, he'll go somewhere for the rest of the year as a backup with a good veteran QB in place( Green Bay comes to mind) and just re-learn how to be a pro QB. No pressure, no high expectations. Next year, look for a starting gig or at least an opportunity to compete for a starting gig.

Between the Glazers and Schiano, it's really hard to root for this team (my 2nd favorite team, as a TB resident). Awesome team IMO (Barber, Revis, McCoy, Jackson, Martin, Williams, etc.), but the management...ugh.

he should sign a 1 year deal with a playoff team like atl den sea sf where they dont need him. Then reevaluate next year. Going to a crappy team in a crap situation wont be good for his long term career.

Good news for Freeman, he can go anywhere he wants now, or anyone who will have him. A lot of teams are going to be interested in bringing him in for a look, too many teams need a solid Option B right now.

I like Oakland to look at him for sure, Cleveland would not shock me, NYJ, TN, AZ...Palmer not lighting it up right now, Philly-Yes, plenty of teams will check him out now.

While I don't know that Philly needs any assistance, do you think they bring Freeman in during the next week, to at least pick his brain?

If he said that, #### him. Tony Dungy is the reason the team is NOT the laughing stock of the NFL, Gruden won a SB, that team is not anywhere close to the laugher they were in the 80s and early/mid 90s coming out of the Sam Wyche era 5 dash 2, remember that Premier?

Schiano has a coaching disabilty.
Im in CLE staying at a certain hotel crowded with NFL media.

I just got told a story that Schiano has his own sideline filmed during losses to account for the players that dont look po'd enough and/or are too nice to others on the field/sideline when the clock winds down. I have to admit that can bug me as a fan, but for a coach to do that? It would erode my trust in him quickly.

The Bucs are approaching Jets level of hilarity. And they'd be scrutinized as badly as the Jets if they weren't in Tampa.

he should sign a 1 year deal with a playoff team like atl den sea sf where they dont need him. Then reevaluate next year. Going to a crappy team in a crap situation wont be good for his long term career.
This. You're getting paid by the Bucs for teh rest of this year. Sign a 1 year deal to be a backup in ATL/NO and laugh at Schiano when you make the playoffs.

Next year, go look for something longer-term when teams have more cap space.

As a vested vet, he just gets the money regardless and can do whatever he wants. Sign wherever, make more money, do nothing, etc.

Users who are viewing this thread