What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

justin blackmon (1 Viewer)

F this guy. Hasn't even had a look in the first half.
tried to warn people it was fool's gold
hahaha. How do you like your crow cooked?
Whoa settle down, guy. 1 Game does not a career make.
I'm not talking about a career. I'm talking about you coming in at halftime with an "I told you so" post, and 200 yards and a TD later, you're having crow for dinner.
Dude... that post was almost a month old. This isn't a new thread, it's an old one. Bottom-line, folks have been saying Gabbert sux and if they get a better QB than Blackmon would be better as well.... Apparently Henne > Gabbert.
lol sorry, didn't even pay attention to the date you posted, thought it was this afternoon. Turns out it's me having crow for dinner...

I traded for him last week. In a contract league where I can tag two guys and had 3 guys up. I traded spiller for him and a 1st and 2nd rounder. He rode my bench too. But no way he was cracking my lineup. Julio Jones rode the bench too. Rolled with AJ Green, brandon marshall and DX. And he'll ride the pine next week too. I need to see a trend.not a fluke...

ROS I like Shorts better. Obvs Blackmon has more talent and they have a pretty solid combo (plus LRob, though that seems like wasted $$) for the future.

If only they had a QB. Hard to trust Henne will play significantly better than he did in Miami.

ROS I like Shorts better. Obvs Blackmon has more talent and they have a pretty solid combo (plus LRob, though that seems like wasted $$) for the future. If only they had a QB. Hard to trust Henne will play significantly better than he did in Miami.
Thing is he was already coming on before Henne.10, 8, 8, 9 targets weeks 4, 5, 8, 9, then the explosion @ HOU and a good game last week with Henne.He's obviously been a part of the passing game, now with 3 TD's in 4 games (2 TDs in 2 weeks with Henne).Under Henne his catch% is 63.2.Under Gabbert it was 44.1.Also: The Pats week 16.

I'm sitting him still...
Tempted to play him over Malcolm Flloyd/F Jax
Im playing him over Floyd and T Smith
Not sure how you can sit Torrey Smith right now.
Because he usually only catches about 3 passes a game. Sometimes they are TD's and sometimes they are 5 yard passes. He only catches TD's when on my bench as well, so at least this way it will make my bench look pretty. He caught 1 pass for 7 yards last time they played the Steelers. If you have a competent secondary it's not hard to shut down the 1 real WR threat the whole team has, especially when Flacco is throwing to him.

I'm sitting him still...
Even against Pitt?
I'd probably still play Smith (especially at home) and I feel like Baltimore will be better prepared to make Smith a bigger part of the offense than in the last meeting against Pittsburgh. Especially coming off his big-time performance in last week's win at San Diego.With that being said, I'd definitely consider playing Blackmon over Smith, and I can even see the logic in it. I'd still play Smith though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sitting him still...
Even against Pitt?
I'd probably still play Smith (especially at home) and I feel like Baltimore will be better prepared to make Smith a bigger part of the offense than in the last meeting against Pittsburgh. Especially coming off his big-time performance in last week's win at San Diego.With that being said, I'd definitely consider playing Blackmon over Smith, and I can even see the logic in it. I'd still play Smith though.
Now I wish I never came into this thread. Second guessing myself now. Need a win this week to secure a first round bye.

Oh bloody hell...

The Jaguars added receivers Cecil Shorts and Justin Blackmon to the injury report after neither practiced Thursday.Shorts (hamstring) and Blackmon (groin) missed practice for the first time this regular season.
http://jacksonville.com/opinion/blogs/columnists
Tell me about it. Just as my core guys are finally getting healthy this happens. I think it's odd both he and Shorts are both injured all of a sudden (it may be a weird rest day?), but maybe it is a coincidence.

Rotoworld:

Coach Gus Bradley raved about Justin Blackmon's conditioning.
Blackmon used his four-week suspension to get in tremendous shape. "His body fat has dropped and his weight has gained," Bradley said. "He's done everything that we've asked of him." Blackmon will immediately be reinserted into the starting lineup and needs to be rostered in all fantasy leagues. If and when Chad Henne gets the starting job back, Blackmon will be a WR3. He averaged 5.1 catches for 80.0 yards and scored four touchdowns over the final eight games of last year.

Source: Florida Times Union

Rotoworld:

Coach Gus Bradley raved about Justin Blackmon's conditioning.

Blackmon used his four-week suspension to get in tremendous shape. "His body fat has dropped and his weight has gained," Bradley said. "He's done everything that we've asked of him." Blackmon will immediately be reinserted into the starting lineup and needs to be rostered in all fantasy leagues. If and when Chad Henne gets the starting job back, Blackmon will be a WR3. He averaged 5.1 catches for 80.0 yards and scored four touchdowns over the final eight games of last year.

Source: Florida Times Union
That's what I like to hear. :thumbup: Still starting Thompkins this week but looking forward to seeing what Blackmon does over the next 4-6 weeks.

Is it crazy to immediately throw this dude into your flex over the likes of tavon austin or J. Finley?

Was wondering the same thing.

I think the smart answer is to wait until Yo Gabba Gabbert loses his job and roll with him when Henne gets the nod. Gabbert is a very bad QB. Shorts has remained marginal by grabbing the garbage yards, but I just don't think there is enough to go around if that gets split between him and Blackmon

I am gonna wait and see him play before starting. Gotta see if gabbert can throw the ball downfield. I think this jags team is worse than last years...which is really sad

Starting him with confidence. Over the likes of M Austin and S Holmes. :coffee:

I'm starting him over Eddy Lacy, Stevie Johnson (vs. Haden), and Dwayne Bowe.

None of the options give me much faith, so I may as well go with the upside guy.

Is it crazy to immediately throw this dude into your flex over the likes of tavon austin or J. Finley?
I thought it was crazy to throw in Josh Gordon in week 3 with a new QB and franchise RB fresh out the door. I didn't start him, and look what happened. I'm not saying Blackmon will go off like Gordon did, but I'm plugging him in over Marlon Brown, especially since I've got Antonio Brown on bye. I drafted Gordon and Blackmon with hopes of starting them, so fool me once ...

Lost dmc. Starting Blackmon over Vincent brown and bolden (also lost santonio Holmes this past weekend) in my flex. Really no other alternative.

-biz-

I thought it was crazy to throw in Josh Gordon in week 3 with a new QB and franchise RB fresh out the door. I didn't start him, and look what happened. I'm not saying Blackmon will go off like Gordon did, but I'm plugging him in over Marlon Brown, especially since I've got Antonio Brown on bye. I drafted Gordon and Blackmon with hopes of starting them, so fool me once ...
I like the balls but at least Hoyer was an unknown, to some extent. Gabbert is a known entity, and the verdict isn't pretty.

That said, my lineup is good enough that I might throw him in as a what-the-heck upside play with Morris on a bye. My other options aren't too exciting (DeAngelo, Hartline, Marlon Brown, Bolden) with Jennings also on a bye. If Amendola can't go, I might have to use him.

Picking him up and dropping Bowe (4 max WR). May be starting him as WR2 over Edelman since Antonio Brown is on bye.

Picking him up and dropping Bowe (4 max WR). May be starting him as WR2 over Edelman since Antonio Brown is on bye.
max of 4 WRs is crazy low
It's pretty annoying... especially considering it's my 'main' league. I give #### to my commish every week, he'll change it up next year. Wanted the waiver wire to be more 'active'
I like an active waiver wire, too, but c'mon. We used to have a limit of 6 or 7 (can't remember), but removed all position limits a couple years ago. If you want to roll with 3 RBs and 9 WRs, go for it. Waiver wire activity wasn't reduced one bit.

Same. Watching Gordon go off felt both great and unfortunate. I won't feel bad if Blackmon doesn't do well as I think his chances this week of scoring are probably better than my other options.

Finley won't be playing this week, so no, not crazy
Blackmon should be a solid play, too, but Finley is listed as "probable" for week 5 so this decision might be more difficult for ricky.

Wed, Oct 2

Jermichael Finley (concussion) has been cleared to practice.

Advice: Back in Week 3, Finley sustained a scary concussion that resulted in a loss of consciousness, memory loss and impaired vision. It's a great sign that he's practicing Wednesday. It puts him on track to play in Sunday's game against the Lions. During the first two weeks of the season, Finley proved to be a major part of the gameplan, totaling 11 catches for 121 yards and two scores.

As a follow up to the Finley thought - ESPN.com (according to CBS) said Finley did practice Wednesday.

I'm not even gonna post what I think about Blackmon, as Ninja and I always seem to end up on opposite sides of an argument. ;)

As a follow up to the Finley thought - ESPN.com (according to CBS) said Finley did practice Wednesday.

I'm not even gonna post what I think about Blackmon, as Ninja and I always seem to end up on opposite sides of an argument. ;)
Hey, if you've got an opinion, I'll hear it out. Just don't state it as a fact or try to include facts that are completely erroneous.

My opinion is that he's a stud in a bad situation. He's also one strike away from a season long suspension.

Hey, if you've got an opinion, I'll hear it out. Just don't state it as a fact or try to include facts that are completely erroneous.

My opinion is that he's a stud in a bad situation. He's also one strike away from a season long suspension.
The bolded is the biggest concern - SSOG (now on staff as Adam) calls it "knucklhead factor" and IMHO, Blackmon has it in spades. The fact that he is already dancing the line of suspensions just after his rookie season (which, production-wise, was weaker than many expected) - is pretty scary. He is on a bad team, but much of his bad situation is his own doing.

He reminds me of Michael Crabtree - before Crabtree lost the diva attitude. If you look at Crabtree's first 3 years in the league, his stats look eerily similar to Blackmon's rookie season. The problem I have is, I'm not willing to bet as much on Blackmon "growing out of it" the way Crabtree finally did in 2012. As such, I could easily see a career for Blackmon, in which most seasons vaguely resemble his 64-865-5 rookie season - with the only difference being the number of games played thanks to an occasional suspension here or there.

Is he talented? Absolutely. His ceiling is higher than Crabtree's in my opinion...talent wise. I just think that when all is said in done, there will be a lot more "what could have been" written about Blackmon.

Crabtree was hampered by injuries and terrible QB play throughout his early career. I think that held him back as much as his diva mentality.

I don't know if Blackmon is ever going to be a mega star. From a pure measurables standpoint, he's a good athlete but not a monster. However, he always passed the eyeball test for me at Oklahoma State, was a top 5 NFL draft pick, and had a decent rookie year. I think he has a chance to be a perennial 1000+ yard guy in the NFL. Something like a Boldin or a Bowe. Is there risk? Absolutely. He has a pattern of questionable behavior and he's one strike away from irrelevance. However, where I see him ranked in generic dynasty lists (around WR20-25) makes him an interesting proposition. If not for the character stuff, he'd likely be valued as a top 10-12 guy based on his pedigree and potential. So there's a bit of a discount factored into his cost. If I could get him at that price, I'd take the gamble.

From a redraft standpoint, it remains to be seen how he copes with the Gabbert factor. Blackmon (more so than Shorts) only came to life last year when Henne took over. Maybe it was a coincidence or maybe Gabbert just can't get him the ball.

The character issue is obviously a concern, but the coach's remarks this week are pretty encouraging. The QB play is what will limit him more than anything IMO.

Users who are viewing this thread