What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kamala Harris' border crisis. Biden put her in charge. (1 Viewer)

Biden Administration is going to use the Dallas Convention Center to shelter teenage boys:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/biden-administration-will-use-dallas-convention-center-to-shelter-migrant-teen-boys/2021/03/15/2b79b430-85b3-11eb-8a67-f314e5fcf88d_story.html

This is a good idea, will relieve some of the pressure. The government is trying its best to be humane in this crisis (unlike their predecessors.) 
He's done a great job so far, just ask the middle easterners coming in illegally.  

Just heard on the news that one Texas facility is at 720% capacity.  Kids have to take turns sleeping on floors and some haven’t showered in days.  No reporters are allowed in.  So much for transparency.

They rely on very dangerous, not-nice, human smuggling networks that transport them through Central America and Mexico to the United States. These smugglers — and everyone should know it, and not turn a blind eye to it — these smugglers routinely engage in physical and sexual abuse, and extortion of these innocent, young women
Why is this not an international problem? Seems a bit unfair to lay this all at Biden's feet less then 3 months into his term, doesn't it? Why is there no international task force working in Mexico to stop this since it's obvious Mexico can't (won't?)

Seems most D's are very unhappy about this situation, and generally agree Biden is falling short on this, but the snarkiness and attack from the right seems jaded and in many ways unreasonable

Last edited by a moderator:
Why is this not an international problem? Seems a bit unfair to lay this all at Biden's feet less then 3 months into his term, doesn't it? Why is there no international task force working in Mexico to stop this since it's obvious Mexico can't (won't?)

Seems most D's are very unhappy about this situation, and generally agree Biden is falling short on this, but the snarkiness and attack from the right seems jaded and in many ways unreasonable
An international task force to police our own borders when every other country helps police their own is sort of a laughable concept. Perhaps we could go to the U.N., but are you really sensing there'd be sympathy from that body? And do we want to turn thorny issues of border security over to international bodies?

Republicans would loathe the idea of international task forces and solutions to the problem that usurp our own authority over our own borders.

Terrible idea, honestly, and befitting a third-world country.

And it goes to show how terrible Democrats are on the immigration issue. They're viewed as a free pass by foreigners which is why the press secretary is begging people not to come in her press conferences. Yeah, sure, these people live in such abject poverty that risking their futures and children's well-being to get in is actually a worthwhile gamble.

But the Democrats do bear tons of blame when it comes to this. From their terrible decisions about aliens that arise out of the courts to the political grandstanding for constituencies that happen legislatively, they're viewed around the world as having a policy of absorption rather than potential rejection. Our border is a mess.

I saw the press conference at the border today.  They said there were three kids holding hands and crossing, ages 1, 3, 5.  The sad thing was all Biden had to do was NOTHING until they had a plan in place.  Pompous asses like Pelose blaming Trump for a humanitarian crisis shows just how out of touch they are.

Immigration is an everybody is at fault problem. The types of problems just vary depending on who is in power. I'm not interested in problem identification, so someone rattle my cage when we reach problem solution. 

Declaring a national emergency when illegal crossings are at a low then subverting dollars budgeted elsewhere for an ineffective wall is a terrible potential solution. 
You don't see any correlation between a leaders rhetoric and the incentives or disincentives for illegal immigrants?

And it goes to show how terrible Democrats are on the immigration issue. They're viewed as a free pass by foreigners which is why the press secretary is begging people not to come in her press conferences. Yeah, sure, these people live in such abject poverty that risking their futures and children's well-being to get in is actually a worthwhile gamble.

But the Democrats do bear tons of blame when it comes to this. From their terrible decisions about aliens that arise out of the courts to the political grandstanding for constituencies that happen legislatively, they're viewed around the world as having a policy of absorption rather than potential rejection. Our border is a mess.
The Democrats have been major hypocrites on this issue over the years, and there is much to criticize, no question. The problem is that Republicans in modern times have been far worse. 

Just another reason I wish Ronald Reagan was still around...he was great on this issue. 

You don't see any correlation between a leaders rhetoric and the incentives or disincentives for illegal immigrants?
In what way?   In the general sense as in they are "tough on immigration or not"?  Sure.     Not in the sense that a lot of them are watching speeches and are tied into their specific rhetoric and basing their coming here on that. 

In what way?   In the general sense as in they are "tough on immigration or not"?  Sure.     Not in the sense that a lot of them are watching speeches and are tied into their specific rhetoric and basing their coming here on that. 
We had all the  rhetoric coming from the Democratic party from 2016 to 2020.  You better believe the immigrants coming to this country heard all of that and we're just waiting for Trump to lose.

I mean the proof is in the pudding in facts don't lie.  The illegal border crossings and people searching across our borders trying to get in this country has increased by 200% since Biden took office.

The Democrats have been major hypocrites on this issue over the years, and there is much to criticize, no question. The problem is that Republicans in modern times have been far worse. 

Just another reason I wish Ronald Reagan was still around...he was great on this issue. 
Share with us how the republicans have been far worse on immigration.  It couldn't be worse than Biden saying we owe future dreamers a path to citizenship.  He just gave them a running start and now we have this mess.  Ironic the kids are held in detention centers under Biden and Obama - they were called cages under Trump.  

An international task force to police our own borders when every other country helps police their own is sort of a laughable concept. Perhaps we could go to the U.N., but are you really sensing there'd be sympathy from that body? And do we want to turn thorny issues of border security over to international bodies?

Republicans would loathe the idea of international task forces and solutions to the problem that usurp our own authority over our own borders.

Terrible idea, honestly, and befitting a third-world country.
Apparently you completely misunderstood what I am saying. human trafficking PASSING THROUGH MEXICO to get to here should be an international concern, not handled solely by the US at the border but attacked AT THE SOURCE. 

Similarly, WHY are so many so desperate to come here? The situations in their nations are so screwed up that they'll risk everything to come here? More (International) effort should be directed at the SOURCES of the immigration instead of arguing about walls and what to do with the trafficked children once they're here. The very fact that a minor can be brought here this way makes this an international problem!!!

Apparently you completely misunderstood what I am saying. human trafficking PASSING THROUGH MEXICO to get to here should be an international concern, not handled solely by the US at the border but attacked AT THE SOURCE. 

Similarly, WHY are so many so desperate to come here? The situations in their nations are so screwed up that they'll risk everything to come here? More (International) effort should be directed at the SOURCES of the immigration insteadarguing about walls and what to do with the trafficked children once they're here. The very fact that a minor can be brought here this way makes this an international problem!!!
I actually agree with the international part but we need to be real, nobody internationally is going to lift a finger to help the U.S. in any way.  While we wish others might work with us on fixing things at the source, we are in a situation where they won't.  We are left with a bunch of less than perfect solutions or ways to curb the problem with short term fixes.  And that's where we will disagree, I feel like Trump's policy did that by essentially encouraging people to not make the trip.

I still can't get over the lack of reaction or over the top rhetoric from Democrats. For months during the pandemic, which is still occurring, we heard how bad Republicans were/are. Trump was literally killing people due to his rallies. Super spreading events if I remember correctly. Red states are "Neanderthals" for opening up, even tho some blue states are as well. Science deniers. Ignorant. The list can go on and on.

Yet the democratic party is allowing 100,000 people a month to flood our borders. Waaaaaaaay more people then Trump had at his rallies. Yet it's called insignificant. No mention of super spreading event. No mention of how poorly the central and South American countries have handled the pandemic. No mention of the dangers of allowing these super spreaders into our communities. It's absolutely sickening the complete 180 the press and Democrats have flipped on the dangers of allowing mass illegal immigrants to swarm the border and communities. Not to mention if they're vaccinating illegals over actual citizens. Good stuff 👏 👍 

I have to agree with the people saying that Trump himself was a deterrent to the mass exodus of people literally clawing for our borders. Biden and the Democrats all but promised people amnesty if they got here, and amnesty shall they get. There was a carrot dangled, and it was taken.

It's such a tragic situation all around. It looks like a gosh darn invasion. 

Immigration is an everybody is at fault problem. The types of problems just vary depending on who is in power. I'm not interested in problem identification, so someone rattle my cage when we reach problem solution. 
One possible solution: LINK
I'm not going to speak for MAC_32, but I think he means a solution that will help the situation.  Not a solution that is ineffective and doesn't address the problem.  For example....if we took the billions he wanted to use for building the wall and threw that money at lawyers and judges at the border plus facilities that were significantly better for child immigrants, that would be a FAR better use of the money.

That said, I think we are losing site of reality here.  The reality is, these kids are coming to our borders all day, every day.  THAT is the crisis and it doesn't just magically disappear because we ignore them (which was the last administration's approach).  This notion that they are just now appearing there "because Biden is weak on immigration" is just a lazy argument to make.  Caravans of families and kids are coming to our borders every day.  That was true under Reagan, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Obama, Trump (what?!?!?!?!!  Trump?!?!?!  yeah...Trump too) and now Biden.  

Share with us how the republicans have been far worse on immigration.  It couldn't be worse than Biden saying we owe future dreamers a path to citizenship.  He just gave them a running start and now we have this mess.  Ironic the kids are held in detention centers under Biden and Obama - they were called cages under Trump.  
I have to begin with a caveat: with a few reasonable limitations, I am generally for open immigration for all who come here, and a path to citizenship and amnesty for those currently here without papers. So you and I may view “better” and “worse” quite differently, I suspect. 

Immigrants don’t come here based on rhetoric from Presidents, welcoming or unwelcoming. They come here because there are jobs here, or to escape the wretched conditions in their own country, or both. 
If you want to stop them from coming (I do not, but many of you do), there are only two ways to do it: fix the countries they come from, or have a severe economic recession/depression in this country. 

I have to begin with a caveat: with a few reasonable limitations, I am generally for open immigration for all who come here, and a path to citizenship and amnesty for those currently here without papers. So you and I may view “better” and “worse” quite differently, I suspect. 
That has nothing to do with the border right now.  The only three that don’t think there is a problem are Biden, you, and Tommygunz. 

That has nothing to do with the border right now.  The only three that don’t think there is a problem are Biden, you, and Tommygunz. 
No there is definitely a problem. I fully agree with that. I also agree that both political parties bear responsibility. I’m less interested in blame than I am in a solution, but of course my goal in any solution may be different than yours. 

No there is definitely a problem. I fully agree with that. I also agree that both political parties bear responsibility. I’m less interested in blame than I am in a solution, but of course my goal in any solution may be different than yours. 
The solution was to not let them in until a program was set up and stiaffed.  Biden couldn’t sign that executive order fast enough to show up Trump.

I guess the "good" part of this whole 'shoe on the other foot' situation is that more people seem to acknowledge the issue at our border is significantly larger than anything a concrete wall could ever hope to begin to attempt to remedy.  Baby steps, but progress nonetheless.

until there is a secure border that allows for very very few to cross illegally ......... the situation will never, ever, EVER get better

President Joe Biden discouraged would-be migrants from coming to the United States as his administration scrambles to respond to a surge of unaccompanied migrant children coming into the US.

“I can say quite clearly: Don’t come,” Biden told ABC in an interview aired on Tuesday.

The President continued: “We’re in the process of getting set up, don’t leave your town or city or community.”
Problem solved! Thanks Joe!

:lmao:

I'm not sure I'd believe CNN if they told me the sky was blue at this point.

Thousands of children separated from their families and held in overcrowded jail like facilities.  It is immigration policy to separate any child not accompanied by a parent from any other relative or adult. 

Where did the faux ragers go? I’m old enough to remember when this was a big deal. 
:lmao: . I dont know.

It's a thousand times worse because grandpa Joe signed his executive order telling them all to come so there are so many they overfilled the Obama cages then started putting them in jails designed for adults.  They are holding them longer than his 72 hour law and dont know what to do with them because they are just kids. How do you screw it up this bad?  

Users who are viewing this thread