What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kanye Buying Parler (1 Viewer)

The General

Footballguy
LINK

“Kanye West, the superstar rapper who has made several inflammatory and antisemitic comments in recent weeks, has agreed in principle to buy conservative social media platform Parler, the app's parent company said in a statement Monday”

like Joe said " “If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump then you ain’t black,”

Ye is finding out how the powers of cancel culture

What's Ye's beef with Jewish people?
I believe* Ye follows in the controversial dogmatic belief that black people are the true descendants of Israel's tribe and therefore God's chosen people. As such, "normal" Jewish people have effectively stolen this title.

*I cannot jump inside the man's head but am reasonably deducing this from prior statements he's made and my understanding of this dogmatic belief.

It seems like he's saying all black people are Jewish and into some lost tribe of Israel theory thing. He keeps saying he can't be anti-Semitic because he's Jewish. It's weird.
This explains the theory pretty decently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites
Good link. Internet rabbit hole led me to discovering internet celeb Antione Dodson has a new craft beer coming out called “Run N’ Tell That” American lager.

It seems like he's saying all black people are Jewish and into some lost tribe of Israel theory thing. He keeps saying he can't be anti-Semitic because he's Jewish. It's weird.
This explains the theory pretty decently: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Hebrew_Israelites
Good link. Internet rabbit hole led me to discovering internet celeb Antione Dodson has a new craft beer coming out called “Run N’ Tell That” American lager.
I'm not certain how following a rabbit hole got you from wikipedia to a craft beer, but any trip that ends with lager is ok in my book. :thumbup:

Free speech shouldn't be regulated in a public forum, but private platforms should censor whatever they want. It just seems that there are more scumbags online than ever before.

like Joe said " “If you have a problem figuring out whether you’re for me or Trump then you ain’t black,”

Ye is finding out how the powers of cancel culture
Is there anything that someone could do or say that would be offensive enough that would warrant be "canceled"?

Is there anything that someone could do or say that would be offensive enough that would warrant be "canceled"?

I'm not sure

You have a Right to freedoms to think and believe and say how you want ...... but it we live in a culture where you can only say certain things or be "canceled" then your freedom really isn't freedom at all is it ?

What you might list as things offensive enough i might disagree with and my list you might disagree with. Who gets to decide what's offensive? Trump ? Desantis? Me ?

Kanye signed, among many other promotional agreements, a one billion dollar deal with The GAP after announcing he was a MAGA Trump guy :lol:

That's interesting. In general, what effect do you think it would have for a person promoting another similar mass market retailer like The Gap for them to announce they were a "MAGA Trump guy"?

Very positive for the promoter?
Positive for the promoter?
No effect?
Negative for the promoter?
Very negative for the promoter?

My sense is it would at best a negative for the promoter. Maybe even very negative.

Kanye signed, among many other promotional agreements, a one billion dollar deal with The GAP after announcing he was a MAGA Trump guy :lol:

That's interesting. In general, what effect do you think it would have for a person promoting another similar mass market retailer like The Gap for them to announce they were a "MAGA Trump guy"?

No effect?

My sense is it would at best a negative for the promoter. Maybe even very negative.
I don’t know. Political stances of any nature can be pretty tricky.

In Kanye’s case he was not canceled or whatever for this. He was wearing the hat, hanging with him, pumping him up and a year later signed this deal with The Gap. We should all be so canceled.

I have zero issue with someone who spouts off such disgusting anti semitic remarks being cancelled. Hate speech like that should result in consequences.

I'm not sure

You have a Right to freedoms to think and believe and say how you want ...... but it we live in a culture where you can only say certain things or be "canceled" then your freedom really isn't freedom at all is it ?

What you might list as things offensive enough i might disagree with and my list you might disagree with. Who gets to decide what's offensive? Trump ? Desantis? Me ?
In the case of a business choosing a spokesperson it’s a delicate balance of their consumers and what helps the company’s bottom line.

In the case of a business choosing a spokesperson it’s a delicate balance of their consumers and what helps the company’s bottom line.

For a similar mass market retailer like the Gap though, what's your guess if you were the promoter.

Say for J.Crew. If you were the promoter for J.Crew and you announced you were a "MAGA Trump guy", what do you think would be the reaction toward that promoter?

No effect?

For a similar mass market retailer like the Gap though, what's your guess if you were the promoter.

Say for J.Crew. If you were the promoter for J.Crew and you announced you were a "MAGA Trump guy", what do you think would be the reaction toward that promoter?

No effect?
For Trump he’s a troll of the highest order who offends half the country seemingly as a strategy. Not many more polarizing figures out there.

Depending on the spokesperson’s level of “Trumpyness” and how they are being used by the company I don’t think it would be a positive for many brands unless they really leaned into it and marketed to his loyal followers.

In Kanye’s case it didn’t seem to hurt him one bit. He had that level of cache I guess or maybe The Gap people are just bad at their jobs and are throwing anything at the wall to save their brand.

What do you think?

Depending on the spokesperson’s level of “Trumpyness” and how they are being used by the company I don’t think it would be a positive for many brands unless they really leaned into it and marketed to his loyal followers.

In Kanye’s case it didn’t seem to hurt him one bit. He had that level of cache I guess or maybe The Gap people are just bad at their jobs and are throwing anything at the wall to save their brand.

What do you think?

Thanks. If you were to choose between one of the options on the spectrum, where do you think you'd guess a brand like J.Crew would be if a promoter were to be a MAGA Trump guy?

No effect?

Wasn't sure where "don't think it would be a positive" fell. No effect? Or something net negative?

For what I think, I think it's what I said earlier, "My sense is it would at best be a negative for the promoter. Maybe even very negative."

What do you think?

Thanks. If you were to choose between one of the options on the spectrum, where do you think you'd guess a brand like J.Crew would be if a promoter were to be a MAGA Trump guy?

No effect?

Wasn't sure where "don't think it would be a positive" fell. No effect? Or something net negative?

For what I think, I think it's what I said earlier, "My sense is it would at best be a negative for the promoter. Maybe even very negative."
Not positive is another way of saying negative I guess :lol:

Unless this was something they leaned into or the brand aligned with this somehow. Any support for a polarizing politician would likely fall into that category speaking broadly.

Unless this was something they leaned into or the brand aligned with this somehow. Any support for a polarizing politician would likely fall into that category speaking broadly.

Thanks. At Footballguys, we've never really pushed hard into the idea of paid outside partnerships and promotions from other people but I do find it interesting from a marketing perspective.

Last edited:

No effect?

Hey Joe - I'm not sure I understand this question. Using a real-life example to clarify definitions, Lebron James is the "promoter" for Nike, right? If so, I'm not sure how the brand figures into the equation at all unless the promoter in question isn't really famous in their own right. Assuming the promoter is famous in their own right, I think the effect on the promoter's personal brand would entirely depend on whether they are already known for any particular political stances. If not, announcing as a MAGA person seems like it would be a negative, as there are fewer MAGA people in the US than not.

If not, announcing as a MAGA person seems like it would be a negative, as there are fewer MAGA people in the US than not.
Sure, a negative collectively to 350 million Americans--maybe. If you asked all of them.

But companies don't need the majority of Americans to like what they do. They need the ones that DO like it to go out and spend money on it.

I think partnering with Kanye makes a ton of sense. His fans think he can do no wrong, if this ingratiates them with MAGA, that is two groups that have shown they will spend on the object of their affection.

It's like comic books. Vast majority don't read them, but the ones that DO, spend their money.

Thanks. At Footballguys, we've never really pushed hard into the idea of paid outside partnerships and promotions from other people but I do find it interesting from a marketing perspective.
What would you think if say a ESPN Fantasy talking head became a paid spokesperson of some sort for FBG's. That person over the course of the partnership chose to become very publically involved with a political position. It got to a point where you received complaints from customers and people saying they would not renew.

Would you terminate the relationship? If so, would that be consider "canceling" the spokesperson voice?

This is the first I heard of Ye and being Jewish.

"For the Jewish people. What I'm doin is me tooing the Jewish culture."

It's odd.

He is having a total bi-polar episode and off meds. He needs help, but he is making these choices too.

He also apparently blasted the name of his kids' school on social media last week and Kim K had to hire extra security at the school because she was worried about their safety with their location being published like that.

What would you think if say a ESPN Fantasy talking head became a paid spokesperson of some sort for FBG's. That person over the course of the partnership chose to become very publically involved with a political position. It got to a point where you received complaints from customers and people saying they would not renew.

Would you terminate the relationship? If so, would that be consider "canceling" the spokesperson voice?

That's the kind of stuff I think about. It's such a challenge with polarizing figures as a business doesn't want to lose customers for any reason if they can help it. In my opinion, on the political things, the gain a business might see doesn't seem like enough to make up for the loss from the people who disagree.

Canceling and free speech and rights of private business is a complex thing. I don't know we've got any of it right but we've tried to do the best we can.

If not, announcing as a MAGA person seems like it would be a negative, as there are fewer MAGA people in the US than not.
Sure, a negative collectively to 350 million Americans--maybe. If you asked all of them.

But companies don't need the majority of Americans to like what they do. They need the ones that DO like it to go out and spend money on it.

I think partnering with Kanye makes a ton of sense. His fans think he can do no wrong, if this ingratiates them with MAGA, that is two groups that have shown they will spend on the object of their affection.

It's like comic books. Vast majority don't read them, but the ones that DO, spend their money.
This is part of why I asked Joe to clarify. He asked what the effect would be on the promoter (e.g. Lebron in my example). You seem to be talking about the effect on the company (e.g. Nike).

I'm not sure

Hopefully not the bold, as they are/were government actors and there "cancelling" free speech - thereby likely violating the first amendment.

In a free market/open culture without government restriction, it's the "market" that would cancel bad ideas/speech. This should be how somebody who doesn't want government involved should want it.

Based on your comments and rhetorical questions, it sounds very much like you want the government to regulate the free market when it comes to the issue of speech.

Users who are viewing this thread