What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Keelan Cole, WR, Jets (1 Viewer)

That's my debate for this week.  I picked him up and now hear that Hurns may play.  How does that affect his production.  Who plays the slot?  I'd like to start him over Evans but now I'm rethinking it.  I hate Evans attitude and how he has been such a disappointment this year.
Evans wasn’t the issue it’s been the QB and he admitted himself this past week that he has targeted Evans enough. IIRC Evans is like down 4 targets a game vs last year. That’s a significant dump in targets. Overall your right his production has been a disappointment but it’s beca of the QB and not Evans.

Tex

Have you watched Cole's college tape?  The school couldn't even afford quality cameras to shoot the games; I don't know if they even have a track and field team.  It's very likely he just wasn't well coached to run the 40.  If anyone really thinks he's a borderline 4.6 guy on the field, watch a clip from one of his 70+ yard TDs.  He's plenty, plenty fast. 

Edit: Not that the school would supply the cameras, but you get my point. 
I've watched just about everything available on Cole which isn't much.

You'll find me as one of those guys who don't put a ton of importance on metrics & much prefer on-field performance as the main indicator of potential, but the fact remains he's got so-so long speed. Cole runs better than his 4.6 time would indicate, but he's far from a burner. Cole does accelerate well which helps him with RAC.

I get it. Cole has talent & upside, but he's just not the prospect Westbrook is which is really my only point.

Last edited by a moderator:
Evans wasn’t the issue it’s been the QB and he admitted himself this past week that he has targeted Evans enough. IIRC Evans is like down 4 targets a game vs last year. That’s a significant dump in targets. Overall your right his production has been a disappointment but it’s beca of the QB and not Evans.

Tex
I've defended Evans for much of the year and blamed his QBs, but he has shown some poor effort the second half of the season. Even Mr. Magoo Gruden called him out for not laying out for that first pass on Monday night. Several of his targets were catchable lately, but he's barely tried to catch some of them.

However, he's the #1 guy and had a great week. I couldn't bench him for a second or third WR if Hurns comes back. 

i didnt watch the last game ...but is it possible it was a case of Westbrook getting more defensive attention than Cole?now that teams have seen what he can do maybe they game plan for him now
That's a possibility, but we're talking about such small sample sizes it's hard to decipher anything right now.

Earlier in the season, Cole's target to catch ratio was rather poor & it's still not good, but he's starting to come on. Westbrook missed half the season which is a huge factor. It typically takes rookie WRs awhile to get going, but Dede made an immediate impact which bodes well.

I believe the difference in these guys is bigger than it seems right now. I expect Westbrook to outproduce him next season & I say that without the intention of knocking Cole.

You'll find me as one of the guys who don't put a ton of importance on metrics & much prefer on-field performance as the main indicator of potential, but the fact remains he's got so-so long speed. Cole runs better than his 4.6 time would indicate, but he's far from a burner. Cole does accelerate well which helps him with RAC.

I get it. Cole has talent & upside, but he's just not the prospect Westbrook is which is really my only point.
So the only advantage Westbrook has is name recognition from going to a well known school and faster forty time.  The NFL is littered with fast guys from big five schools who do nothing special as pros.  I prefer to judge with my eyes based on what I see in real NFL games, and so far there is no comparison.

So the only advantage Westbrook has is name recognition from going to a well known school and faster forty time.  The NFL is littered with fast guys from big five schools who do nothing special as pros.  I prefer to judge with my eyes based on what I see in real NFL games, and so far there is no comparison.
That's just the thing. I'm judging these guys from ALL aspects & I can tell you Westbrook is a better prospect. I'm very confident Dede outproduces Cole next season.

If you believe differently, that's ok with me. That's what FF is all about.

That's just the thing. I'm judging these guys from ALL aspects & I can tell you Westbrook is a better prospect. I'm very confident Dede outproduces Cole next season.

If you believe differently, that's ok with me. That's what FF is all about.
Fair enough. I've learned over the years that when a guy has opportunity as a young player and doesn't seize it more than likely he will not be a difference maker ever.  So I churn my roster and drop guys like Westbrook to pick up people who were overlooked but shine like Cole.  Sometimes you miss out on a late bloomer but more often than not you have a better chance of finding a difference maker if you don't hold on too long to guys with promise but no show.

i didnt watch the last game ...but is it possible it was a case of Westbrook getting more defensive attention than Cole?now that teams have seen what he can do maybe they game plan for him now
Teams aren't double teaming Dede Westbrook.  I doubt they're game planning for either of these guys yet.  Houston played a lot of zone, but Cole also beat man coverage a few times as well. 

You'll find me as one of those guys who don't put a ton of importance on metrics & much prefer on-field performance as the main indicator of potential, but the fact remains he's got so-so long speed. Cole runs better than his 4.6 time would indicate, but he's far from a burner. Cole does accelerate well which helps him with RAC.

That's fair.  I just wanted to point out that he's clearly not a 4.59 guy on the field.  He's fast enough to be a deep threat, as he's shown.  He's not a 4.3 guy either, so we agree there. 

Career high 10 targets beating last week's high of 9...still with an entire quarter to go. 2nd (essentially 3rd) straight 100 yard game.

Shouldn’t this read IF AR15 is brought back?  He’s a FA in 2018 right?
You're right but I'd be shocked honestly if they didn't. I can see them letting Hurns and/or Lee walk, but no way with Robinson. Cole, Dede, and even Mickens as a unit look like a handful for defenses though. They're all impressing.

You're right but I'd be shocked honestly if they didn't. I can see them letting Hurns and/or Lee walk, but no way with Robinson. Cole, Dede, and even Mickens as a unit look like a handful for defenses though. They're all impressing.
I can understand your point of view but I also think it depends a lot on what they’d have to pay for him. He’s had 2 seasons cut short due to injury, 1 average season, and 1 huge season. I’m just not sure how much he’s worth. 

I’m not sure it matters if AR15 comes back or not. The door is closing fast to get this guy at a reasonable price.

This Sport we play is all about opportunity and this opportunity is fading fast.

Tex

If they are producing without him and you can use that money on another player/position why resign him unless he’s willing to take less money to stay home?

Tex

If they are producing without him and you can use that money on another player/position why resign him unless he’s willing to take less money to stay home?

Tex
I hear you, but the only knock on those 3 is they all severely lack size. Like you guys been saying, AR been hurt, so I don't think he can command too much money, which makes him more likely to stay unless another team wants to take a chance and throw dough at him.

I hear you, but the only knock on those 3 is they all severely lack size. Like you guys been saying, AR been hurt, so I don't think he can command too much money, which makes him more likely to stay unless another team wants to take a chance and throw dough at him.
Fair enough, he’s a WR the All think the deserve to be paid top dollar but I could be wrong AR15 might be different. IMHO, when it comes to WR size means very little. It’s not in any meaningful category for successful or failure rate for the position. 

Tex

Picked him up at 2pm to put in over Goodwin. Thatta boy. Have Lee as a keeper, really interested in the JAC situation next year. 
Man I wish I had kept him in over Rudolph. Wanted to enjoy last night's game so benched Cole for Rudy. :bag:

Picked him up at 2pm to put in over Goodwin. Thatta boy. Have Lee as a keeper, really interested in the JAC situation next year. 
Nice! I spent 5 bucks on Goodwin early in the week, more I thought about it more I wasn’t feeling it.  Spent another 5 on Cole and ending up winning the super bowl because of it.   I officially love this guy! 

It's crazy imo that Cole was still available after 3 consecutive weeks of double digits scores and last week's huge game. 

He's been taken in my leagues for at least the last month. In one, with two copies of each player he was rostered at the start of the year, dropped at different times by both teams and picked up quickly by others. (One being me :) , two months ago). 

In smaller leagues I get that he wasn't necessarily going to be taken after one good game, but three? Must be redraft.

Debating between Cole and Funchess.  Olsen seems to be eating into Funchess' targets/catches.  Not sure if I can pull the trigger.
Cost me the championship.Lost by 1 point.

Who'd a thought that Cole would score as many points as K. Allen, Funchess and Crabtree combined. WTF.

Bumping this guy's thread with a big catch in the Pats game.  Starting to be more of a "name" guy for stashes?  

Just traded Cole and the 2018 3.01 for Allen Robinson. Standard 12-team PPR. Would rather have Robinson as a FA. 

Mr Miyagi said:
I would take Cole and the 3.1 in this deal personally....Lol 

I didn't trust A Rob before he was hurt and won't after. 
As a Cole owner in 2 leagues I'd be tempted by the offer but think I'm avoiding arob.

You missed the big catch he had vs Steelers?
No, just pointing out he's done it repeatedly becoming more of a high profile off season guy.  

I offered him and a 4th for an early 2nd (2.03) and got turned down.  Not sure if that's market value or not, but worth mentioning.  I'd gladly deal him for Arob though.  

I offered him and a 4th for an early 2nd (2.03) and got turned down.  Not sure if that's market value or not, but worth mentioning.  I'd gladly deal him for Arob though.  
I offered him and a 4th for Trey Burton(FFPC) and got quick reject so there is another attempted deal with him. I can't believe he got back Allen Robinson.

Sigmund Bloom‏ @SigmundBloom 2h2 hours ago

"Most noteworthy, Bortles has built on his chemistry with wide receiver Keelan Cole from last season. Cole made several impressive catches off the starting quarterback's passes on Friday."

https://twitter.com/mike_e_kaye/status/1000081544181141504

#Jaguars OTAs Recap, Day 3: Bortles shows off strong accuracy, Cole continues to make plays, starting right guard job open for competition?

STORY: https://www.firstcoastnews.com/article/sports/nfl/jacksonville-jaguars/jaguars-otas-recap-day-3-bortles-shows-off-strong-accuracy-cole-continues-to-make-plays/558183230

Is there anywhere to get footage of all targets for a WR? I have been watching highlights of Cole from last year but can't find much else

Somebody help me out here... what am i missing about Keelan Cole?

His rookie year showed exactly the progression you like to see... more targets and scoring as the year progressed, the team let two of the WR ahead of him go, and all the news from camp has been uber positive.  He is a UDFA that made the most out of his opportunity. 

His competition for targets is

Marquis Lee, who in three tries has a single season that was better than Cole's rookie season,

Donte Moncrief, who in three tries has had one season only a little better than Cole's and two very mediocre seasons and now has to learn a new system and QB

DeDe Westbrook - word is that he has been so poor in camp he is behind Chark and even Greene

Chark - an unproven rookie scat-type wr

Is there any WR out there with less competition for targets?

Has he got wrinkles, sure, but how does he rate being the 84th WR according to the current consensus FBG dynasty ranks tied with Mike Wallace.

Is there a single fantasy owner out there that would trade Keelan Cole for Mike Wallace straight up? 

Brisco54 said:

His rookie year showed exactly the progression you like to see... more targets and scoring as the year progressed, the team let two of the WR ahead of him go, and all the news from camp has been uber positive.  He is a UDFA that made the most out of his opportunity. 

Marquis Lee, who in three tries has a single season that was better than Cole's rookie season,

Donte Moncrief, who in three tries has had one season only a little better than Cole's and two very mediocre seasons and now has to learn a new system and QB

DeDe Westbrook - word is that he has been so poor in camp he is behind Chark and even Greene

Has he got wrinkles, sure, but how does he rate being the 84th WR according to the current consensus FBG dynasty ranks tied with Mike Wallace.

Is there a single fantasy owner out there that would trade Keelan Cole for Mike Wallace straight up? 
The problem is, they have all flashed, but thats all they have done. Every one of those guys ( i guess sans Chark for the moment) is in the same boat. It won't likely work itself out until 5-6 games in, or a couple injuries force something to happen.

I think Chark is gonna be good. I don't know if I trust BB to get the ball down the field accurately, but he did it before for ARob so maybe. In re draft if i am taking a flyer on one, it would be moncrief.

In Dynasty, I think Chark>Cole>Westbrook>Moncrief in that order, factoring in likely cost. Also, Lazard to stash for free might be profitable.

Brisco54 said:

You’re not missing anything. I think with Cole (most) people dismiss his rookie production as a fluke or outlier simply because he was a small school UDFA. Draft capital plays a huge role in how these players are perceived.

There is of course the Bortles issue, the fact that the depth chart looks uncertain, and the Jags won’t be a prolific passing team, but those are secondary to the fact that Cole wasn’t drafted. People assume he isn’t actually good or he has poor job security because of that.

Now if you’re playing the odds, it makes sense to dismiss these types of guys (Robby Anderson and Cam Meredith are other good examples) since most won’t pan out, but you’re assuming that NFL teams are good at drafting and identifying talent, which is a shaky assumption IMO.

If Cole was a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick rather than a UDFA he would be one of the hottest commodities in dynasty IMO. 

You’re not missing anything. I think with Cole (most) people dismiss his rookie production as a fluke or outlier simply because he was a small school UDFA. Draft capital plays a huge role in how these players are perceived.

There is of course the Bortles issue, the fact that the depth chart looks uncertain, and the Jags won’t be a prolific passing team, but those are secondary to the fact that Cole wasn’t drafted. People assume he isn’t actually good or he has poor job security because of that.

Now if you’re playing the odds, it makes sense to dismiss these types of guys (Robby Anderson and Cam Meredith are other good examples) since most won’t pan out, but you’re assuming that NFL teams are good at drafting and identifying talent, which is a shaky assumption IMO.

If Cole was a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick rather than a UDFA he would be one of the hottest commodities in dynasty IMO. 
I wonder if it will take Keelan Cole as long as it took Doug Baldwin to get respect in the fantasy community.   

That said, the one big concern I have about Cole is how his targets shrunk in the three playoff games.  In the final 8 weeks of the season he averaged 7 targets a game.  In the playoffs, with both Lee and Westbrook back on the field, he got 1, 3, and 3.  Ouch.  Does anyone know why he disappeared in the playoffs?  Was he playing hurt or just pushed down the lineup chart?

I wonder if it will take Keelan Cole as long as it took Doug Baldwin to get respect in the fantasy community.   

That said, the one big concern I have about Cole is how his targets shrunk in the three playoff games.  In the final 8 weeks of the season he averaged 7 targets a game.  In the playoffs, with both Lee and Westbrook back on the field, he got 1, 3, and 3.  Ouch.  Does anyone know why he disappeared in the playoffs?  Was he playing hurt or just pushed down the lineup chart?
Keep in mind that in the BUF and PIT games, Bortles only threw 23 and 26 passes respectively.  Almost 1/3 of those went to RBs.  This will likely be the challenge with Jags receivers in 2018...selecting who will get the most of a limited # of targets in any given game.

Jags Insider John Oehser recently posted this in an on-line chat:

Q: Who will be the Jaguars’ leading receiver this season?

A: This will be close, with perhaps two or three receivers very close in terms of receiving yards, receptions and even touchdowns. Here’s my best guess: Wide receiver Donte Moncrief will lead the Jaguars in touchdown receptions, wide receiver Keelan Cole will lead in receiving yards and tight end Austin Seferian-Jenkins will lead in receptions. A final thought: Enough receivers/tight ends will contribute in a key way that it won’t matter too much who leads in any particular category, but the overall result will be an efficient passing offense. 

Users who are viewing this thread