What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Kevin Jones (1 Viewer)

I've been wishing and hoping and speculating all season with this guy. At this point, the team where I own him is in the crapper (in part, thanks to Jones' rough start), so I expect zero points out of him, then I am justified to get excited when he puts up 4. :X

Kevin Jones will be a pro-bowler one day...it's just a matter of when the offense starts to click...which probably means whenever they get rid of Harrington?Jon Kitna anyone?

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm not overly optimistic about his prospects for this season, although I still see him as a top ten dynasty back.The problem in the short term is surrounding talent. Roy Williams is a stud and Az Hakim is better than he's given credit for. Nevertheless, Harrington can't keep the offense moving and the line is playing very poorly by most accounts. I wouldn't expect too much out of him until some of these things change.

I expect KJ to have his best game of the season this week. Now, if the Lions get crazy and put Mike McMahon in the game then all bets are off..

Actually, Jones could have a strong finish due to the Lions' schedule:mad:MININDARI@GBMINCHI@TENNot exactly the strongest running defenses in the league. If Mooch sticks to running the ball 20 (give or take) times a game, Jones owners could be pleasantly surprised. He's definitely a guy to keep an eye on right now.

Actually, Jones could have a strong finish due to the Lions' schedule:mad:MININDARI@GBMINCHI@TENNot exactly the strongest running defenses in the league. If Mooch sticks to running the ball 20 (give or take) times a game, Jones owners could be pleasantly surprised. He's definitely a guy to keep an eye on right now.
This is what I've been holding him for. On the other hand, Arizona's rush defense hasn't been as putrid as in years past, GB seems to be toughening up with Grady Jackson back, and you run the risk of Mooch abandoning the run if Min(x2) or Indy get out to big leads.

Agreed. I think he makes a sneaky start (depending on your other RB's/flex options/etc) in at least 4 of those games. Should be interesting. Maybe we will have a 1000 yd rookie rusher after all, although it is still a long shot. He'd have to average 99 yards/game from here on out to hit 1K. Like I said, a long shot

On the other hand, Arizona's rush defense hasn't been as putrid as in years past, GB seems to be toughening up with Grady Jackson back, and you run the risk of Mooch abandoning the run if Min(x2) or Indy get out to big leads
this is exactly my fear about starting KJ this week.. the fear is that Minnesotta fires on all cylinders and the Lions are then forced to play catchup..BUT Mike Tice has tried, desperately, to establish the run in the past few games only to have his game planning been turned on its head because the defense couldn't stop the other team. I feel that with Moss out, Tice believes that in order to control the game, he's going to have to establish a running game, which could mean less early points and thus a chance for KJ to stay involved as Detroit would not be so far behind that running the ball becomes counterproductive

I expect KJ to have his best game of the season this week. Now, if the Lions get crazy and put Mike McMahon in the game then all bets are off..
Could you elaborate on why you think this? Won't Detroit be trailing most of the way, with the Vikings stacking against the run?

Could you elaborate on why you think this? Won't Detroit be trailing most of the way, with the Vikings stacking against the run?
The Vikings won't stack against the run, but the Lions will be trailing early, so what looks good on paper may be smoke and mirrors.

if a team is playing defense and they are way ahead they would NOT stack against the run at all. They would want you to run.. Detroit probably wouldn't run because they would be trying to get back into the game with the big play...

Didn't see the game but these are some encouraging sequences:2nd Possession1-15-DET15(8:18) K.Jones right end to DET 21 for 6 yards (D.Darius).2-9-DET21(7:40) K.Jones up the middle to DET 27 for 6 yards (M.Peterson).4th Possession1-10-DET6(1:52) K.Jones up the middle to DET 11 for 5 yards (D.Darius).2-5-DET11(1:13) K.Jones up the middle to DET 23 for 12 yards (A.Ayodele).2nd Half1-10-JAC44(2:27) K.Jones up the middle to JAX 37 for 7 yards (M.Peterson; G.Favors).2-3-JAC37(1:53) J.Harrington pass incomplete to S.Alexander.3-3-JAC37(1:48) K.Jones up the middle to JAX 31 for 6 yards (D.Darius; Ki.Thomas).Looks like he is starting to pound the ball up the middle and get some yards.

I am completely torn with what to do with Kevin Jones this weekend. My gut tells me to start him. I do not beleive that the Lions will be blown out of this game. Harrington is going to be under a lot of mental pressure. He will be lining up with Roy and Reggie Swinton (who I think is better that Az and Tai). I hear they are going to throw a lot of different and risky plays out against the Vikes in an effort to open up the run. Kowalski (Lions insider) would not expand on how they were going to attack, he just stated it was going to be fun to watch. He also stated that the Lions are going to start using a 2 TE front to help Jones. I would assume it would be to get him to the outside. I am going to go out on a limb and start him in my money league and sit Faulk. I betcha Jones has a 40+ yd TD.

I think i'm going to go with KJ over SOD unless the Vikes come and name him the straight out starter... :bag: SOD could have a blow-up game, I don't like starting a guy who hasn't had a big week yet but Kevin Jones' time has come and this matchup seems like the spot for him to break for a big game, though the one thing I fear is that the Lions fall behind early and abandon the run.... though i see the Vikes come out and also try to establish the run which will keep the Lions "in the game" for a long enough time for KJ to put his stamp on the game

I'm not sure why the census on this game is Detroit is going to get blown out.The Vikes are still w/o Randy its a divisional game and Oh the Vikes havent won a game in quite a while. So how that translates into a blowout is beyond me.

I like the fact that Mooch is trying to establish the run and redesigning the offense around it.....is he trying to ignite this offense or does he see something really good in KJ ?

I like the fact that Mooch is trying to establish the run and redesigning the offense around it.....is he trying to ignite this offense or does he see something really good in KJ ?
Both

I'm not sure why the census on this game is Detroit is going to get blown out.The Vikes are still w/o Randy its a divisional game and Oh the Vikes havent won a game in quite a while. So how that translates into a blowout is beyond me.
truer words have never been spoken. While I think the Vikings will win, the fact that is an inter-division rival and the fact the Vikes are sans Moss, I think it will only be a touchdown spread

Both
LHUCKS-I'm not sure how we can take your opinion on this seriously since you ranked Chris Brown so low in the preseason ;)

Mooch wants the play action to do more than turn into a RB dump off for -2 yds. That is why he is going to force feed the ball to KJ.

Interesting analysis of this guy from an actual scout..thought I would pass it on.

Ask the Scout

By NFC Scout

November 19, 2004 4:00 AM ET

An NFC pro player scout has agreed to provide our readers with analysis of significant fantasy players. Each week, the scout will describe the players' strong points, weaknesses, current value, and long-term prognosis. You can help choose which player will be dissected by using the email address at the bottom of this article.

This week, our scout examines Lions' running back Kevin Jones.

His Game

Trading up to get the player they wanted, the Detroit Lions found a workhorse with the 30th pick in the 2004 draft. Kevin Jones entered the NFL after his junior season in which he ran for a school record 1,647 yards (5.9 avg) and 21 touchdowns. At 6-0 and a muscular 225 lbs, Jones is a true power back with a punishing downhill style. He is a straight line runner who plays with excellent balance and a low center of gravity. Jones excels running between the offensive tackles and shows very good short area quickness and vision. His lower-body strength is on the elite level, and he is at his very best running through high traffic areas and has the strength to run through arm tackles, bounce off defenders, and break tackles. The play isn't over until the whistle blows with Jones, as he shows toughness and fights for every yard. At times, Jones struggles to find the cutback, and quickly redirect his momentum. He is very muscle bound and has average flexibility and agility in his hips. Making defenders miss in space has been a problem and he lacks top burst to escape. He has good straight line speed, but doesn't show the ability to turn the corner and break off long chunks of yards at a time.

Today

Jones has struggled through various ankle and knee injuries in his first season with the Lions. The Lions' running back role has been shared by Jones with both Shawn Bryson and Artose Pinner, but KJ took all the carries last week. He has shown flashes of greatness, but has not shown the ability to establish himself as an every down back. He has shown inconsistency in pass protection and has been taken off the field in true passing situations. There were questions about his ability to catch the ball in college so it is no surprise he has dropped his fare share of screen passes and dump routes. His biggest struggle to date has been his inability to turn the corner and burst for big chunks of yards. Jones has a long run of only 22 yards and has yet to show that breakaway speed he showed in college. He has been most productive running over tacklers in the box and the Lions have done a good job of lining him up in the I formation, giving him an opportunity to gain momentum by the time he reaches the line of scrimmage.

Long Term Prognosis

Time will tell whether Jones is able to establish himself as an every down player. Getting healthy is the first step in this process. Don't look for him to put up Ladanian Tomlinson-type receiving numbers or consistently outrun defenders in big chunks, but he will continue to punish tacklers. He has an outstanding work ethic and has been a very good influence in the locker room. Jones clearly has the talent and instincts to carry the load. A healthy ankle might give him more opportunities to show some of the elusiveness and downfield speed he displayed at the college level. One-dimensional backs have a difficult time staying on the field with the complexity of personnel formations and plays in the NFL. Running between the tackles may take a toll on his body over time, but he is young and fresh enough at this point to handle the workload. However, he will need to improve his 3.5 yards-per-carry to be the type of back the Lions traded up for and invested their future in.

Good read by that scout.. I saw KJ play live once in college and I thought he had good speed and decent vision. He is a kid who can punish the defense, but the only way that will "work" is if he plays enough downs to wear them down

I've been calling him a dud since before the draft and he has done nothing to change my mind.
Yeah...I know so many other RB that have produced well when they were on the sidlines injured and when in the game getting 10-12 carries.

I've been calling him a dud since before the draft and he has done nothing to change my mind.
Yeah...I know so many other RB that have produced well when they were on the sidlines injured and when in the game getting 10-12 carries.
add....a terrible center that gets blown off the ball every snap...

IMHO, the previously mentioned scout makes some good observations, but he doesn't take into account the situation surrounding Jones. It's a lot more difficult to break long runs or have a great YPC when your line and overall offensive consistency suck.

IMHO, the previously mentioned scout makes some good observations, but he doesn't take into account the situation surrounding Jones. It's a lot more difficult to break long runs or have a great YPC when your line and overall offensive consistency suck.
It is a good point. In his last game he showed a lot more patience hitting the hole and waiting for his blockers to get in position. The only major flaw he showed last game was not taking every inch the defense gives, instead he would try and make more. Once he consistently shows patience he will be in the secondary. Williams and Swinton are excellent downfield blockers and he will start breaking them.

I think this will probably be the last week you can pick up Kevin Jones cheap. Mooch has done a good job of working this guy in patiently, somewhat due to injury, but last week he turned in a good performance against a non-creampuff run defense, he's on the uptick. His outlook will look very different after this Sunday's game.

add....a terrible center that gets blown off the ball every snap...
All contributing factors to him being a dud. Prove me otherwise.

I think this will probably be the last week you can pick up Kevin Jones cheap. Mooch has done a good job of working this guy in patiently, somewhat due to injury, but last week he turned in a good performance against a non-creampuff run defense, he's on the uptick. His outlook will look very different after this Sunday's game.
I didnt see the game, but was very suprised he avgd over 4 ypc verse that stingy Jax def.....Minn should be an easier test, but will he get enough work? Another interesting spin will be how Harrington responds to all the crticisim and witch hunters in Detroit.

How's Urlacher workin' out for you this year? ;)
Has more than doubled Kevin Jones' point total in every league I'm in. Urlacher is the #19 LB in the league vs. Kevin Jones at the #46 RB. So, Urlacher's actually done pretty well for me. Next idiot please....

How's Urlacher workin' out for you this year? :D
Has more than doubled Kevin Jones' point total in every league I'm in. Urlacher is the #19 LB in the league vs. Kevin Jones at the #46 RB. So, Urlacher's actually done pretty well for me. Next idiot please....
UIG is just jealous cause I own him. ;)

UIG is just jealous cause I own him. :D
..and I think EVERYBODY is jealous of Sprout's record this year! ;)

His stats are fine for a rookie on a poor offense. 3.5 YPC isn't good, but that's all Ricky Williams averaged his last season in Miami and everyone called him a stud. Jones is in a similar situation as a RB on a team with a weak OL and a weak QB. I'm not saying Jones is as talented as Ricky, but I think he's doing ok when you consider all the factors. Backs generally improve in their second year in the league. If Jones can get his YPC up to about 3.8 this season then I think it will qualify as a solid rookie year. I look for a nice 2005 from him if Detroit can get the passing game going.

Wow!!! That was a low blow!!! You have to admit I have a young team overall that is also plagued with injuries. There future doesn't look bad in my opinion.

His stats are fine for a rookie on a poor offense. 3.5 YPC isn't good, but that's all Ricky Williams averaged his last season in Miami and everyone called him a stud. Jones is in a similar situation as a RB on a team with a weak OL and a weak QB. I'm not saying Jones is as talented as Ricky, but I think he's doing ok when you consider all the factors. Backs generally improve in their second year in the league. If Jones can get his YPC up to about 3.8 this season then I think it will qualify as a solid rookie year. I look for a nice 2005 from him if Detroit can get the passing game going.
;)

UIG is just jealous cause I own him. ;)
You wish. :D

How's Urlacher workin' out for you this year? ;)
How much ya wanna bet KJ will finish with more points than the great white hype and better overall in his position by years end..Don't give me the crap about Hype being hurt either as so has KJ. Next idiot please.

Wow!!! That was a low blow!!! You have to admit I have a young team overall that is also plagued with injuries. There future doesn't look bad in my opinion.
:rotflmao: Curtis Martin, Eric Moulds, Tim Brown, etc... Look at all that youth! Even with Urlacher's injury problems, he would still be the 7th leading scorer on your team. C'mon Hip Hop, give it up. :D

How much ya wanna bet KJ will finish with more points than the great white hype and better overall in his position by years end..Don't give me the crap about Hype being hurt either as so has KJ. Next idiot please.
You're the one whining about KJ's injuries. ;) You need to take your blinders off if you think either one of your garbage "bets" comes true. The Lions have no offensive line. Combine that with the fact that KJ has absolutely no vision and that equals 0 production for KJ.I'm sorry if you are a disgruntled Jones owner or even worse, a Lions fan. But, you're ignorance will not change the fact that Kevin Jones is a complete bust.

You're the one whining about KJ's injuries. ;) You need to take your blinders off if you think either one of your garbage "bets" comes true. The Lions have no offensive line. Combine that with the fact that KJ has absolutely no vision and that equals 0 production for KJ.I'm sorry if you are a disgruntled Jones owner or even worse, a Lions fan. But, you're ignorance will not change the fact that Kevin Jones is a complete bust.
Urlacher is worthless at this point....a lame footed pine rider I must sayKevin is a starting RB that may help many FF teams win a title.Sit down Brian, you leg is toast

Maybe the football gods are simply punishing the Det Lions for 10 years of misusing the greats RB tallent ever. The pathetic schemes and coaching have awarded the fair Lions 10 years of RB famin. Don't worry theres not that much longer to go Lions fans. ;)

You're the one whining about KJ's injuries. :popcorn: You need to take your blinders off if you think either one of your garbage "bets" comes true. The Lions have no offensive line. Combine that with the fact that KJ has absolutely no vision and that equals 0 production for KJ.I'm sorry if you are a disgruntled Jones owner or even worse, a Lions fan. But, you're ignorance will not change the fact that Kevin Jones is a complete bust.
Well like I said earlier he had pretty decent production last week. If given the carries you could be proved wrong. Not saying it is a fact but there is a pretty decent chance.And no im not a Lion fan but I wouldn't talk to much #### about them being your a Bears fan.If memory serves me correctly they beat down the Bears in thier backyard.

Users who are viewing this thread