What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Killing the Golden Goose - Congrats NFL (1 Viewer)

Mister CIA

Footballguy
This will be Goodell's legacy. That said, I don't hold Goodell responsible. His strings are clearly being pulled by NFL owners ... and its my guess there are probably 5 or 6 owners doing most of the tugging. They are all on the verge of getting caught with their collective #### in their hand.

• Refs are incompetent to the point where we expect it.
  • League discipline is a train wreck. Twitter could do better.
  • The newfound desire to buddy up with gambling interests is in direct violation to Rule #1 for running a league.
There's every indication it will only get worse.

:HotSportsTake:

In the preview to the upcoming movie 'Concussion'...whatever character played by Albert Brooks says to Will Smith's protagonist...

'You are talking about taking on a corporation that owns one of the days of the week'.

The NFL is the king of hubris and it's clear that their emphasis on squeezing every dollar out of their product at the expense of some signficant PR gaffes and perhaps a longer term outlook that benefits the sport, is troubling. The examples you mentioned are viable points of contention.

But the NFL has become almost a cultural touchstone of the American Way. Having that as part of your brand...well, a fall from grace would be quite dramatic to say the least.

Mwahhhhhhhh...The NFL is run by bad peop...oh #### gotta go Broncos vs GB just kicked off!!!

Football as we knew it is dead. Feminized football is here to stay. The suits realized the product on the field isn't important to make $$$$.

This will be Goodell's legacy. That said, I don't hold Goodell responsible. His strings are clearly being pulled by NFL owners ... and its my guess there are probably 5 or 6 owners doing most of the tugging. They are all on the verge of getting caught with their collective #### in their hand.

• Refs are incompetent to the point where we expect it.
  • League discipline is a train wreck. Twitter could do better.
  • The newfound desire to buddy up with gambling interests is in direct violation to Rule #1 for running a league.
There's every indication it will only get worse.:HotSportsTake:
I do think the NFL will lose some of its appeal in time like baseball. Might take a couple of decades.

Mwahhhhhhhh...The NFL is run by bad peop...oh #### gotta go Broncos vs GB just kicked off!!!
The refs suck, hard (by design, obviously), and NFL's desire to cozy of with gambling interests will end badly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.

The golden goose to me is too many separate windows for viewing...

Didn't really spend much time with:

-last monday night

-thursday once it got out of hand

-the London game today

I don't know how they make money with red zone or how direct TV allows it. But if they do... they have had 2 games in the 4 oclock window the past two weeks. Those games get out of hand/are boring.... do need to stay with every snap when I have a sunday and monday night game?

-last monday night

-the London game today

I don't know how they make money with red zone or how direct TV allows it. But if they do... they have had 2 games in the 4 oclock window the past two weeks. Those games get out of hand/are boring.... do need to stay with every snap when I have a sunday and monday night game?
If not for the Red Zone, I would quit watching the NFL on Sundays.

-last monday night

-the London game today

If not for the Red Zone, I would quit watching the NFL on Sundays.
The same one you watched?

So what advertisement was playing as you rushed in to watch the game?
The one that costs over half a mil for 30 seconds.

Gambling is why the NFL is so popular.
I don't watch a single ad on Red Zone channel. Just wait until the advertisers figure this out.
But you're still watching.

The refs suck, hard (by design, obviously), and NFL's desire to cozy of with gambling interests will end badly. That's my story and I'm sticking to it.
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/3/10/1268251485112/Cristiano-Ronaldo-001.jpg

He look familiar?

He is a team more recognizable to the world than any football player Goodell could ever dream of.

Can you guess what the sponsorship on his jersey is?

Plenty (most, all??) soccer teams have some sponsorship from gambling sites. They seem to be growing, at least in the US anyway.

Getting cozy with the gambling interest may save the NFL

Last edited by a moderator:
http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Football/Pix/pictures/2010/3/10/1268251485112/Cristiano-Ronaldo-001.jpg

He look familiar?

He is a team more recognizable to the world than any football player Goodell could ever dream of.

Plenty (most, all??) soccer teams have some sponsorship from gambling sites. They seem to be growing, at least in the US anyway.

Save them from what?

He look familiar?

You sure you want to bring up FIFA as an example for why the NFL shouldn't worry?

The product they're putting out is not even very good anymore. Between the Thursday crap and the London garbage we are seeing some ugly football.

I know the ADD crowd won't agree but the baseball playoffs have owned the fall sports landscape.

The product they're putting out is not even very good anymore. Between the Thursday crap and the London garbage we are seeing some ugly football.

I know the ADD crowd won't agree but the baseball playoffs have owned the fall sports landscape.
I love this refrain. Like the classic 13-7 battles of yesteryear were the pinnacle of quality football.

Retrospect really ##### with peoples ####.

He look familiar?

Save them from what?
from whatever you may be thinking their demise may be

He look familiar?

You sure you want to bring up FIFA as an example for why the NFL shouldn't worry?
I like my....... odds

:mellow:

Last edited by a moderator:

He look familiar?

Save them from what?
from whatever you may be thinking their demise may be
That sounds like something an NFL ref would say into the microphone.

He look familiar?

I like my....... odds

:mellow:
Where do you stand in the FIFA line of succession? I'm gonna go with 43rd.

Apples to oranges.
How can you be sure? What would make you stop watching? Because if the answer is "Pretty much nothing", which we all know it is, then the difference may not be so far because they know they can do whatever the #### they want and the fan base will stay.

I stopped watching.

I am tired of turning off my brain and pretending that what gets called (and what doesnt) by incompetent refs doesnt matter because one play doesnt decide the game.

While this is true, it is an easy lie to tell yourself to continue watching. In reality, judgement calls by officials who are imperfect go a LONG way to deciding which team has a competitive advantage.

Because of this I am no longer convinced that the team that plays better any given week will actually win...so then why watch? There is lots that can be done to fix this...but no incentive.

I am sure the NFL is crying itself to sleep tonight over this, resting on their pillows full of billions.

And yet the NFL is more popular than ever. Go figure.
was going to post this.

Much ado about nothing.
I'd love to know how many people can enjoy a game of football on its own. People love gambling, people love drinking, people love fantasy football, but how many people can still watch a game for the love of watching an NFL game? Is it still a stand alone product? I used to live for football, now I struggle getting through a Saints game, and rarely bother trying to watch a non-Saints game without tonnes of flipping channels. For me, watching football is no where near as enjoyable as it used to be.

Yes, football is very popular and very profitable, but is it sustainable with the current state of the NFL. I really doubt I'm the only lifelong fan who has lost 90% of my interest in the sport. The real question is, are there enough young people to replace people like me. That is where is I have serious doubts, and why I think the NFL will fall on very hard times in the not too distance future.

And yet the NFL is more popular than ever. Go figure.
was going to post this.

Much ado about nothing.
I'd love to know how many people can enjoy a game of football on its own. People love gambling, people love drinking, people love fantasy football, but how many people can still watch a game for the love of watching an NFL game? Is it still a stand alone product? I used to live for football, now I struggle getting through a Saints game, and rarely bother trying to watch a non-Saints game without tonnes of flipping channels. For me, watching football is no where near as enjoyable as it used to be.

Yes, football is very popular and very profitable, but is it sustainable with the current state of the NFL. I really doubt I'm the only lifelong fan who has lost 90% of my interest in the sport. The real question is, are there enough young people to replace people like me. That is where is I have serious doubts, and why I think the NFL will fall on very hard times in the not too distance future.
If not for fantasy football giving me an easy outlet for keeping touch with distant former colleagues, I'd have backed off my viewing and general fandom years ago. I nearly threw in the towel back during the first "retrain the defense to not hit the QB anymore" season that saw so many egregious "sack = personal foul" calls from QBs ducking theirhead into contact.

I don't find the NFL product fun to watch on its own, when there are no fantasy implications. To the point that I may check out for the playoffs.

Fantasy Football is a huge, huge money maker for the NFL.

Question about FF though. Are there anywhere near as many young people interested in it as their used to be, and is FF attracting "new" people?

As Zigg said, it's tough to watch just one game with nothing else going on, and with the younger generations and their ever shortening attention spans, you wonder whether or not some sort of tipping point is on the horizon with sustainability.

I watch a game now and there is like 4 minutes of good action and 3+ hours of commercials, time outs, instant replays that are anything but instant, very inconsistent officiating (even on the replays which is just baffling), and announcers that are still trying to teach us how football should be played.

Red zone is awesome, but with games being more spread out it makes redzone even less enjoyable, especially for the late games (2 games?? wow).

The NFL needs to be careful though. The way they are spreading games out is making FF seem like a chore. So now (if you are a serious player) you have to do your research on monday/tuesday in order to have your wednesday waivers in, research more into the thursday night game to see who you should start or not start, get your waivers for friday ready with more information that comes out on thursday and friday, and now you have to check things 4 hours earlier than normal due to these stupid London games, then back to the main course of 1 oclock games, then a couple at 4, then of course sunday night, then of course monday. With 6 different start times it's a heck of a task to figure out who to start factoring in WHEN they play.

The NFL would lose quite a bit of fans and money if fantasy football were to die, or even fade some.

WHo knows what will happen. Maybe the NFL will be the king of all sports here for 100 more years. I just know that the current financial state of the NFL does not mirror the product they are putting on the field/TV, at all.

Users who are viewing this thread