What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

*** NFL International Football Thread *** (2 Viewers)

This AM on the Sports Junkies, they had several respected national sports journalists on. I can't remember exactly who said this, but I'm fairly certain it was Jason LaCanfora...

...it was said that the long term plan with the NFL is to develop an NFL Europe Season Ticket package, where they will hold 8 games per Season in England, or maybe a combo of England and Germany, or some other countries, where fans could purchase a Season Ticket similar to what any Season Ticket holder in the States could do - 8 'home' (European) games.

I have to admit, if I was an NFL Fan, living in Europe, that would be kind of neat - 8 games, with the likely opportunity to see 16 different Teams play.

I wonder if they expanded the schedule to 8 European games, if they'd get off this silly 9:30AM EST time slot. Why can't those games be played in the late afternoon/evening in Europe, which would create a more reasonable viewing window for us over here?

They are played in the late afternoon aren't they? 3:30 in England, maybe 4:30 in Germany (maybe it's 3:30 also)

This AM on the Sports Junkies, they had several respected national sports journalists on. I can't remember exactly who said this, but I'm fairly certain it was Jason LaCanfora...

...it was said that the long term plan with the NFL is to develop an NFL Europe Season Ticket package, where they will hold 8 games per Season in England, or maybe a combo of England and Germany, or some other countries, where fans could purchase a Season Ticket similar to what any Season Ticket holder in the States could do - 8 'home' (European) games.

I have to admit, if I was an NFL Fan, living in Europe, that would be kind of neat - 8 games, with the likely opportunity to see 16 different Teams play.

I wonder if they expanded the schedule to 8 European games, if they'd get off this silly 9:30AM EST time slot. Why can't those games be played in the late afternoon/evening in Europe, which would create a more reasonable viewing window for us over here?

They are played in the late afternoon aren't they? 3:30 in England, maybe 4:30 in Germany (maybe it's 3:30 also)
9:30 am on the East Coast is 2:30pm London time.

9:30 am on the East Coast is 2:30pm London time.

Which is basically normal sport kick off time here

The Colts will play the Patriots in Frankfurt, Germany in Week 10.​

The NFL will continue its regular season series in Germany after the inaugural Germany games were played in 2022. German fans could get a chance to see exciting rookie QB Anthony Richardson and some combination of Mac Jones and Bailey Zappe. It's the first time the Colts have played overseas since 2016.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Mike Chappell on Twitter

NFL Executive Vice President Peter O’Reilly wouldn’t rule out an overseas NFL team in the coming years.

O’Reilly pointed to rabid overseas fan bases that would support an NFL team based outside the United States. “You could sell out those games,” he told ESPN’s Adam Schefter. He added “there’s nothing emminent there,” citing the complicated logistics involved in launching a pro team across the Atlantic Ocean. Under Roger Goodell, the NFL has shown persistent interest in expanding the league to other parts of the world. The league’s London games start in Week 4 with the Jaguars taking on the Falcons.

A full expansion from 32 to 40 with 4 teams going into each conference
These 8 teams in Europe would be able to self sustain on many weeks, 6 division games would cut down on some travel for American teams but there would also be weeks with lots of teams traveling over to Europe or vice versa as they fly to the United States, perhaps staying 2 weeks to play 2 games while they are over here.

It would take some work and a lot of bellyaching but it would also open up a lot more paychecks for players
Germany, England, Spain and I could think of a few others that would want to get in on the action.

These 8 teams in Europe would be able to self sustain on many weeks, 6 division games would cut down on some travel for American teams but there would also be weeks with lots of teams traveling over to Europe or vice versa as they fly to the United States, perhaps staying 2 weeks to play 2 games while they are over here.

It would take some work and a lot of bellyaching but it would also open up a lot more paychecks for players
Germany, England, Spain and I could think of a few others that would want to get in on the action.
As an NFL fan why the **** would I want to see this happen? An 8 team expansion? That's an awful lot of talent dilution.

As an NFL fan why the **** would I want to see this happen? An 8 team expansion? That's an awful lot of talent dilution.
I didn't say I wanted it to happen, just offering a potential solution
The NFL couldn't add just 1 or 2 teams, way too much travel back and forth, be better if they added 4 and ideally 8 because you could add an entire division to both conferences and equally distribute the burden of air travel.

If they are going to do it, go all the way

I didn't say I wanted it to happen, just offering a potential solution
The NFL couldn't add just 1 or 2 teams, way too much travel back and forth, be better if they added 4 and ideally 8 because you could add an entire division to both conferences and equally distribute the burden of air travel.

If they are going to do it, go all the way
Fair, fair. I wasn't coming at you on it. I just don't like an idea that is not going to improve the on field product and is just another money grab by the owners. :shrug:

Users who are viewing this thread