What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Knee Injuries (1 Viewer)

Islander

Footballguy
Can someone explain me what is the difference between Robert Edwards' knee injury and the one sufferred by Palmer and Culpepper?I understand Edwards was a RB and Palmer/Culp are QBs (and the impact is more damaging for a RB), but let's say all three were playing the same position, how much worse was Edwards' injury, and can someone explain me medically why it was worst (if it was)?

I think Palmer will be ok because of the style he plays, Culpepper may have a tougher road back, with his weight problem and the way he likes to run.

Can someone explain me what is the difference between Robert Edwards' knee injury and the one sufferred by Palmer and Culpepper?

I understand Edwards was a RB and Palmer/Culp are QBs (and the impact is more damaging for a RB), but let's say all three were playing the same position, how much worse was Edwards' injury, and can someone explain me medically why it was worst (if it was)?
CPep and Edwards each tore 3 ligaments. Palmer tore 2 ligaments.Its been awhile since Edwards' injury but I remember reading he damaged more than just the 3 ligaments,so his was the most severe,although I cant say medically what was wrong..He pretty much damaged everything in the knee.

The large difference (to date) is the nerve and arterial injuries that Edwards suffered in his leg (LINK)

Doctors rushed to operate, and one said the damage looked like something caused by a hand grenade. Edwards tore his posterior and anterior cruciate ligaments and medial collateral ligament, partially tore his lateral collateral ligament and stretched his peroneal nerve. Most seriously, he severed an artery that supplies blood to the lower leg."After the surgery, they told me how close I was to losing my leg," Edwards said.Doctors also told Edwards his career was probably over, and he might need a cane to walk.Following a second operation, Edwards began rehabilitation. For weeks he couldn't pick up his foot or turn his ankle because of the nerve damage, and it was eight months before feeling returned in his foot. But by summer, he was walking and biking, which put him a year ahead of schedule in his recovery.
Both Culpepper and Palmer will be back on the field (maybe not games in CPeps case, but he'll be close) before Edwards had feeling back in his foot.

Last edited by a moderator:
As someone who has lost feeling in his foot from nerve damage on both sides, I can tell you how it works.It is usually 1 inch per month for nerves to regenerate. From knee down is not to bad but from back down probably never heals. My left side foot is useable but I still have that falling asleep feeling on the one side of it. My right foot is now 4 months and still nothing and will take along time to come back if ever because it quits after a while. It leads to you walking much differently or wearing braces to help which would be why Edwards took so long to come back.

There was talk after Robert Edwards injury that he might need amputation. It was a very severe injury, one we haven't seen the likes of since. All from a beach football game.It was a shame because I really liked Robert Edwards, and I rooted for him in his various comebacks.

There was talk after Robert Edwards injury that he might need amputation. It was a very severe injury, one we haven't seen the likes of since. All from a beach football game.

It was a shame because I really liked Robert Edwards, and I rooted for him in his various comebacks.
He's still going. He played in the CFL this past year. Put up pretty good numbers too

Are knee injuries (of the kind involving torn ACLs and such) preventable to any degree? What I mean is, if a bodybuilder type, with huge leg muscles, were in the same position as Carson Palmer was, would the injury be as severe? Or would the muscle serve as a type of "buffer," minimizing the damage to a degree?Don't mean to hijack, but I am not sure this deserves it's own thread.

There was talk after Robert Edwards injury that he might need amputation. It was a very severe injury, one we haven't seen the likes of since. All from a beach football game.

It was a shame because I really liked Robert Edwards, and I rooted for him in his various comebacks.
He's still going. He played in the CFL this past year. Put up pretty good numbers too
Edwards was one of leagues best RB's this year up north. He ran with a lot of power.

Are knee injuries (of the kind involving torn ACLs and such) preventable to any degree? What I mean is, if a bodybuilder type, with huge leg muscles, were in the same position as Carson Palmer was, would the injury be as severe? Or would the muscle serve as a type of "buffer," minimizing the damage to a degree?

Don't mean to hijack, but I am not sure this deserves it's own thread.
No, it's basically a result of the knee going in a direction that it wasn't made to go. A couple ligaments are the only things stabilizating the knee, so any hit that stretches a ligament more that it is meant to go is going to tear it. Not much you can do about it and extra muscle isn't going to protect you.

There was talk after Robert Edwards injury that he might need amputation.  It was a very severe injury, one we haven't seen the likes of since.  All from a beach football game.

Edwards was one of leagues best RB's this year up north. He ran with a lot of power.
Thanks guys. I thought he was out of football; I always felt for him.I looked it up; he was 10th in the CFL with over 1400 combined yards from scrimmage. Nice to hear he's still in the game.

Users who are viewing this thread