What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Koren Robinson... (1 Viewer)

FunkyPlutos

Footballguy
Vikings!! :eek:

Minnesota might be in the market for another receiver. Koren Robinson, who checked himself into a 28-day alcohol rehabilitation program last month, was in town for a visit. The Seahawks released Robinson in June after he was charged with drunk driving, the latest in a series of problems for the ninth overall pick in the 2001 draft who has never performed up to his ability. Tice said nothing was imminent, as far as signing Robinson.
LINKDon't know what to think?!!?! Thought they would be set, but evidently they are interested. Has he ever returned punts?? (and could he catch a punt?).

Last edited by a moderator:
Hard to question the move as the Vikings will probably pay him very little, with an incentive laden contract. The only thing I don't like is they tried to get rid of a headache by trading Moss, and here's another potential one w/ KRob. However, if he gets his head screwed on, a future trio of Burleson, Koren, and Williamson with Taylor and Marcus Robinson off the bench would have to be considered one of the deepest WR corps in the league. Not saying the best, just the deepest.

Hard to question the move as the Vikings will probably pay him very little, with an incentive laden contract. The only thing I don't like is they tried to get rid of a headache by trading Moss, and here's another potential one w/ KRob. However, if he gets his head screwed on, a future trio of Burleson, Koren, and Williamson with Taylor and Marcus Robinson off the bench would have to be considered one of the deepest WR corps in the league. Not saying the best, just the deepest.
What makes you think K-Rob would be the second WR out of that group? If he works his 12 steps, stays in touch with his sponser, and eats his Wheaties he might work his way into the #3 role.

Hard to question the move as the Vikings will probably pay him very little, with an incentive laden contract.  The only thing I don't like is they tried to get rid of a headache by trading Moss, and here's another potential one w/ KRob.  However, if he gets his head screwed on, a future trio of Burleson, Koren, and Williamson with Taylor and Marcus Robinson off the bench would have to be considered one of the deepest WR corps in the league.  Not saying the best, just the deepest.
What makes you think K-Rob would be the second WR out of that group? If he works his 12 steps, stays in touch with his sponser, and eats his Wheaties he might work his way into the #3 role.
I'll say it right now Travis Taylor will make the Pro Bowl this year. No room for K-Rob to prevent that from happening.

Someone please explain to me how Robinson would avoid a 1-year substance abuse suspension if he were to sign with a team.

Hard to question the move as the Vikings will probably pay him very little, with an incentive laden contract.  The only thing I don't like is they tried to get rid of a headache by trading Moss, and here's another potential one w/ KRob.  However, if he gets his head screwed on, a future trio of Burleson, Koren, and Williamson with Taylor and Marcus Robinson off the bench would have to be considered one of the deepest WR corps in the league.  Not saying the best, just the deepest.
I'll say it right now Travis Taylor will make the Pro Bowl this year. No room for K-Rob to prevent that from happening.
:no:

Someone please explain to me how Robinson would avoid a 1-year substance abuse suspension if he were to sign with a team.
For alcohol?
Sure. He already served a 4 gamer last year for ecstasy, and I thought I read that this alchohol bust would qualify. I'll look into this a little bit...

From Pro Football Weekly back in June when Robinson was busted (back in June, so maybe things have been clarified since then. I'll keep looking):

PFW Commentart

PFW: What is Robinson’s future in the NFL?

Reynolds: Robinson, the ninth overall pick in the 2001 draft, has been a relative bust considering the expectations placed upon him when Robinson entered the league. There were scouts who drew physical parallels between Robinson, then a 21-year-old junior leaving North Carolina State, and Randy Moss. His body type, though, is much different than Moss’ and not as lean or tall. At 6-1, 200, Robinson did possess enough speed to make a stopwatch flash and is a tremendous all-around athlete. He can leap, has naturally soft hands and is more naturally gifted than Torry Holt. But Robinson has never been fully committed to football or himself.

There is interest in Robinson from several teams. But Robinson’s legal problems could derail his career in the interim. Robinson already has been sent to a treatment program and a DUI conviction might be considered by the NFL as a third violation of its substance-abuse policy (resulting in a one-year suspension). Just as Ricky Williams, Darrell Russell, Kerry Collins, Lawrence Phillips and others with off-the-field issues are granted second and third chances, a door will be held open for Robinson. It’s the nature of the business — like it or not. Besides, Robinson is still a kid. He turned 25 in March and is in desperate need of an adult guardian to intervene, physically and emotionally, and go well beyond what Cris Carter provided Moss in Minnesota.

OK. Looks like he won't be suspended, though this still doesn't seem definitive. This is from John Clayton of ESPN on Aug 1.

ESPN.com

Finally realizing he has a problem with alcohol, former Seahawks wide receiver Koren Robinson has checked himself into a 30-day treatment center in South Carolina and plans to be ready for the NFL regular season as a new person.

"I've realized I've got a problem," Robinson said. "I know the path I was going down wouldn't enable me to be a successful person in life and a successful football player on the field. I had to be proactive before I got too bad."

Robinson's career and life have been spiraling out of control for the past eight months. Because of his drinking, he missed meetings late in the 2004 season and had to make a promise to seek alcohol treatment to stay on the active roster. That didn't work. Robinson finished the season on the active roster but was charged with a DUI on May 6 in Kirkland, Wa.

After pleading guilty, he ended up receiving a 365-day jail sentence in which 364 days were suspended. When he showed up for his one-day jail sentence, alcohol was allegedly detected on his breath by two detectives, a violation of his probation from the plea bargain.

That incident was the final straw. Robinson had been in denial about his problems. Last week, he checked himself into a rehab center.

"I will get out at the end of August," Robinson said. "I just know I had a problem. I was in denial for a while. Stuff had to happen to me for me to realize it before anything bad happened. I'm not ashamed of what I've done. I'm thankful it wasn't worse. But I have to put this problem in the past."

Robinson wouldn't discuss his pending legal issue. He has an Aug. 4 hearing to determine any penalty for violating his probation. Because he's at a South Carolina treatment center, he will have to postpone that hearing until late August or early September.

His plan is to sober up and be available for the 2005 season. From what Robinson has heard from the league office, he won't be subject to a year suspension even though he had a four-week suspension last year for violation of the substance policy.

"I won't be suspended, that's what I understand," Robinson said. "I will keep working out and keeping my fingers crossed someone will want to sign me. I can still play. My agent [Alvin Keels] has talked to the league and that's what they've said. There were some teams that we had been talking to and I hope they are still interested in my. First, I have to handle my business because I know I have a problem."

Robinson received treatment for his alcohol problems twice during the offseason, but until last week, Robinson hadn't entered into a 12-step program to stop his problems with alcohol.

Mike Holmgren, his former coach, made him seek help for his problems, but Robinson was in denial, which is why those other treatments failed.

"I only went into treatment then because I was pressured," Robinson said. "The first one was after the season. It was a 28-day program. It was like a detox program as opposed to a 12-step. The one I'm in now is a 30-day in-patient to get me to stay clean and sober. After the DUI, I had a five-day treatment for assessment and evaluation."

The recent incident at the Kirkland jail was his wake-up call.

"Everybody was seeing myself going down the hill, and it was like the hill just never stopped, it never flattened out," Robinson said. "This woke me up. I'm not really that type of person. The whole situation makes you see what you really have. I have a great opportunity being an NFL player. A lot of people would give an arm and a leg to be in my position. Those people go to work from eight until five just to be able to financially be able to afford a house.

"I get to play football and do something that I love to do. I've been taking it for granted. This has really humbled me. I can see that I'm not Superman and that I can't run through a wall if I want to."

Robinson almost signed with the 49ers after the Seahawks released him in early June. But the 49ers backed out of a possible deal because of timing. His availability came at a time in which the 49ers were under organizational criticism because of the public release of an inappropriate public relations tape.

"I hope teams are still interested in me," Robinson said. "I must show I can handle my business. I know I have a problem. This time, I checked myself in because I wanted to get help. Nobody was telling me to do this. I came to the realization that, 'Koren, you need help.' I've got to do what I had to do. I feel like I can be a living testimony by being able to stop this."

Robinson is a talented 26-year-old former first-round choice with the potential to be a No. 1 receiver on a team. But first, Koren Robinson had to take care of Koren Robinson.

The process started last week.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.com.

Makes sense. I can see them suspending him for the arrest/conviction, but I don't see how they can claim he's violated the substance abuse policy if he hasn't been caught using a banned substance.

BTW, anyone remember some lost cause the Viking picked up a few years back on the cheap?His name was Caringer, Carris, or ummmm, Carter , thats it !! :excited:

Yeah remember that Vikings player a couple of years ago that barricaded himself in the street with cardboard boxes and lawn furniture while pointing his shotgun.....oh wait that was Alonzo Spellman a Bears player. My bad!

Robinson a possibility: Tice visited with former Seahawks receiver Koren Robinson, who had 78 receptions for 1,240 yards in 2002 and 65 catches for 896 yards in '03. Robinson was released by the Seahawks during the offseason after he was charged with DUI and reckless driving. Robinson's agent, Alvin Keels, said Robinson just got out of a 30-day alcohol treatment center last Sunday."He's turned his life around," Keels said, "and now he wants to turn around his career."Keels said Robinson is scheduled for a workout and a physical with the Vikings today. Keels believes his client could sign with the Vikings, but he is scheduled to visit another team on Wednesday.
LINKFrom what I hear...the Broncos may be that other team, especially pending Rice's decision.

The latest:

———Notes: Tice met with wide receiver Koren Robinson Sunday night and said Robinson had a "great'' workout this morning. But Tice did not say the Vikings had or would offer Robinson a contract. Calls to Vikings vice president of football operations Rob Brzezinski were not immediately returned.
LINK

This has to be a very bad sign for the state of the Vikings receiving corps. They must have been fooled by all the highlight reel catches those ex-Baltimore cast-offs made!Damn you Brian Billick!

They would have to cut Kelly Campbell (another player with law trouble)...I would rather have K-rob (insert K-drop jokes here) than Kelly Campbell on the team!!

I don't think there would be many WR corps as good as Burleson, Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Koren Robinson, and Troy Williamson. A potential stud in Burleson, 3 first round picks, and a former pro-bowler. Not bad at all.

I don't think there would be many WR corps as good as Burleson, Taylor, Marcus Robinson, Koren Robinson, and Troy Williamson. A potential stud in Burleson, 3 first round picks, and a former pro-bowler. Not bad at all.
Here's what many don't understand. KoRnHoLe is a ####### liability!!! All the potential in the world doesn't change the fact that he has medical problems with his eyes and can't catch!!! On top of that he's dealing with going completely sober and that takes a long time to deal with, so his mind won't be near even what counts as his top form. He's a waste. Scratch that, he's more than a waste. He's a LIABILITY. He'll get open all day and when you need the catch from him...send out the punt team!

LINK

It's official!
My guess, and I havent read the article so forgive me if I repeat something here, is that KoRo will be suspended for the entire 2005 season, and the Vikes are locking him down for next year when they anticipate MRob and possibly Travis Taylor will be out the door.

So much for improving team chemistry.If singed for cheap its a shrewd move but we really did not have success with rehabilitating Jake Reed who had a vision problem either

LINK

It's official!
My guess, and I havent read the article so forgive me if I repeat something here, is that KoRo will be suspended for the entire 2005 season, and the Vikes are locking him down for next year when they anticipate MRob and possibly Travis Taylor will be out the door.
Keels said Robinson, the former Seattle Seahawks first-round draft pick, won't play in Sunday's regular-season opener against Tampa Bay, but he should be ready for Week 2, when the Vikings travel to Cincinnati.

LINK

It's official!
Keels said Robinson, the former Seattle Seahawks first-round draft pick, won't play in Sunday's regular-season opener against Tampa Bay, but he should be ready for Week 2, when the Vikings travel to Cincinnati.
We'll see...I dont think the NFL would move to suspend him til he plays again. But then again, Im sure the Vikes have done their research, so if they are planning on him being available, I dont think they'll get surprised otherwise.

We'll see...I dont think the NFL would move to suspend him til he plays again. But then again, Im sure the Vikes have done their research, so if they are planning on him being available, I dont think they'll get surprised otherwise. :sarcasm: You forgot this. I thought I had better include it before someone gets the idea that the Vikes are a well run team.

WRBCKnock Burleson down a spot or two, knock Taylor and Robinson down several spots, and knock Williamson and Campbell off the board altogether.

Even if Robinson turns out better than ever, that STILL won't justify Culpepper's ADP. Sigh. But it would bring him into the top 5 for me if KR works out well.

Even if Robinson turns out better than ever, that STILL won't justify Culpepper's ADP. Sigh. But it would bring him into the top 5 for me if KR works out well.
As a QB going that high (he went #7 and #8 overall in my redraft leagues) it is ridiculous, but I have little doubt he'll be in the top 5 QB's. The loss of Moss is over-rated, Culpepper is an excellent QB and won't have any trouble getting the ball to open guys.

Here's how I see Robinson fitting in: at the beginning of the year he will have very limited playing time, eventually taking over a lot of Marcus Robinson's role and all of Campbell's role if he even has one. Sometime during the season, he'll probably be suspended for a year.Next year, Marcus Robinson and Kelly Campbell will be shown the door. Koren will battle Taylor for playing time as the #3 WR next year.Williamson will not be effected by this move. His role in the offense was the be a deep threat and stretch the field, much like the role Moss had at the start of his rookie season. Robinson won't cut into that. He may cut into Taylor's playing time a little bit, but the main losers here are Marcus and Wiggins. The Vikings will be running a lot of 3 RB sets, meaning less 2 TE sets. Kleinsasser will probably get the nod for more playing time because he's a great blocker.

Here's what many don't understand. KoRnHoLe is a ####### liability!!! All the potential in the world doesn't change the fact that he has medical problems with his eyes and can't catch!!! On top of that he's dealing with going completely sober and that takes a long time to deal with, so his mind won't be near even what counts as his top form. He's a waste. Scratch that, he's more than a waste. He's a LIABILITY. He'll get open all day and when you need the catch from him...send out the punt team!
Not to argue here, because I don't know, but is this confirmed? I've read where Peerless Price has some medical problems with his eyes, but this is the first I've seen concerning Robinson.

I see the Krob signing as a non issue. Like most have already stated, this is most likley a move towards next year. As for this year, I could see him cutting in later int he season and taking some time away from Taylor and Marcus (most likely Marcus). He is definitely a player to keep an eye on from week to week. If he blows up for a big game somewhere doen the road, sell your eye teeth to get him because lunkhead Tice will start him from that point on.My 2 cents.....

BTW, anyone remember some lost cause the Viking picked up a few years back on the cheap?

His name was Caringer, Carris, or ummmm, Carter , thats it !!

:excited:
Carter was coming off an 11-TD season when he signed with the Vikings. Robinson has 12 total TDs in 4 years.

BTW, anyone remember some lost cause the Viking picked up a few years back on the cheap?

His name was Caringer, Carris, or ummmm, Carter , thats it !!

:excited:
Carter was coming off an 11-TD season when he signed with the Vikings. Robinson has 12 total TDs in 4 years.
:goodposting:

Why would you knock Burleson at all?
1. Because KRob isn't just going to take touches from MRob and Taylor -- he'll take a few touches from Burleson as well. Not many, but enough to make me think twice when I see Burleson available on the draft board.2. KRob's signing just might be a sign that Tice isn't 100% confident in Burleson as his #1 WR. KRob has been a #1 WR before; Burleson has not. For all we know, Burleson could be a Peerless Price type who is at his best when he has a clear-cut #1 starting with him.

Burleson + Taylor + Robinson + Williamson + K-Rob = :eek:All this talk of what this says about Burleson misses the mark IMHO. I think this speaks much more about how not-ready-for-primetime Troy Williamson is. Not a surprise to some of us, but I've seen plenty of people drink the Williamson Kool Aid this preseason despite his consistently running with the 2nd and 3rd stringers.

Why would you knock Burleson at all?
1. Because KRob isn't just going to take touches from MRob and Taylor -- he'll take a few touches from Burleson as well. Not many, but enough to make me think twice when I see Burleson available on the draft board.2. KRob's signing just might be a sign that Tice isn't 100% confident in Burleson as his #1 WR. KRob has been a #1 WR before; Burleson has not. For all we know, Burleson could be a Peerless Price type who is at his best when he has a clear-cut #1 starting with him.
KRob couldn't unseat Jackson as #1 in Seattle and Burleson is not Price. He has played in this system and has a VERY GOOD QB throwing to him. Price went to a system that was flawed from the start.Thanks for playing!

Users who are viewing this thread