What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LA Dem city council prez resigns after racist comments. (1 Viewer)

So, we're talking degrees of racism now? Your racism is better? :lol:

There were two entirely separate reactions to similar incidents, except one had one of YOUR team involved. :shrug:

No one is buying what you guys are selling.
Feels like you're saying the same thing I did. It was two completely different sets of reactions to very similar incidents. One was "conservative" and one was "liberal". The reactions were DEFINITELY different and they really shouldn't have been. Both completely unacceptable in my opinion. Clearly, not everyone agrees with that position.

TBH, I don't even know what Tuberville said completely. We got a cherry-picked clip that started with "They". Who is "they"?

Racism is bad wherever it comes from, but one person was so passionate about the one of the incident he started an entire thread that called Republicans racist that eventually got nuked and didn't start a thread about the other incident at all. Only the protagonists politics were different. Guess which one he didn't start an incendiary thread on?
They was "Democrats". I saw the speech in context. It's not a good look. Unambiguously racist. If he was in my political party, I'd disown him harder than Particle Physics 301.

There were two entirely separate reactions to similar incidents, except one had one of YOUR team involved. :shrug:

Feels like you're saying the same thing I did. It was two completely different sets of reactions to very similar incidents. One was "conservative" and one was "liberal". The reactions were DEFINITELY different and they really shouldn't have been. Both completely unacceptable in my opinion. Clearly, not everyone agrees with that position.

TBH, I don't even know what Tuberville said completely. We got a cherry-picked clip that started with "They". Who is "they"?

Racism is bad wherever it comes from, but one person was so passionate about the one of the incident he started an entire thread that called Republicans racist that eventually got nuked and didn't start a thread about the other incident at all. Only the protagonists politics were different. Guess which one he didn't start an incendiary thread on?
Someone had already started the thread on the La City Council racists by the time I came to the boards to comment. I immediately jumped in that thread and denounced their racism and called for their resignations.

Bladerunner, please link to your call for Tuberville’s resignation. I haven’t seen it.

They was "Democrats". I saw the speech in context. It's not a good look. Unambiguously racist. If he was in my political party, I'd disown him harder than Particle Physics 301.
Damn. Particle Physics 301? That's some next level disowning.

Someone had already started the thread on the La City Council racists by the time I came to the boards to comment. I immediately jumped in that thread and denounced their racism and called for their resignations.

Bladerunner, please link to your call for Tuberville’s resignation. I haven’t seen it.
Only if you can link to my call for the LA City Council to resign.

You’re okay with public officials being racist?

You're putting words in my mouth. You should stop that. I haven't called for anyone to resign yet from either incidents.

I've clearly stated that racism is bad here and in the past. Do you need MORE proof? How many virtue points do I get if I do? Can I cash them in for a hoodie. I need another hoodie.

Not sure the correct questions are being asked. I would guess most of us here would say all racism is bad. The crux of the disagreement is what is and isn't racism.

Ie - someone could say they condemn all racism, but could support either politician because they don't consider their actions or comments racist.

Not sure the correct questions are being asked. I would guess most of us here would say all racism is bad. The crux of the disagreement is what is and isn't racism.

Ie - someone could say they condemn all racism, but could support either politician because they don't consider their actions or comments racist.
There were a few (I don’t recall exactly who) in the Tuberville thread who said he was just talking facts. I can’t really understand that take.

You vote for the fella that said "you cannot go to a 7-Eleven or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent"? Or "poor kids are just as bright as white kids"?

Not sure pointing out that there is not one, but two instances of you not wanting clear racists to be asked to step down from their public job is the look you should be going for good buddy :wink:

Just as those claiming tommy called anyone racist are leaving out context?
I read the thread immediately after he started it. nobody had posted yet. Yes, he tried to group republicans as a party, as racist. It riled me up as he was using a broad brush & I was going to object but realizing the source it wouldn't have helped. yes, some hold the views that conservatives/ republicans=racist. Very tired & true tactic used for decades by Dems. I find it distasteful & hurtful.
For the 8th time now, it was lifelong conservative and Republican Mike Madrid that I quoted in that thread labeling the Tuberville/Trump rally as a Klan rally. I even used quote marks, included the link, and included a short bio identifying Madrid as a conservative.

Do you know what these “….” mean? Or are you intentionally lying about what I posted?
Where was your thread for this LA City Council fiasco titled "Democrats are Holding Klan Rallies Now"?

You had no issue running into this forum to start a thread based on some Twitter idiot, using his words as cover to call everyone in the Republican Party a racist based on the statements of ONE person (Tuberville). Now, hang with me here, you DID NOT start a thread indicting EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT as racist based on the comments of ONE person (Nunez). What you did, instead, was minimize it by saying, "Well, it's only one person.". Why is that? You just got done indicting every member of the Republican Party for one person's comment but now - "nothing to see here".

I'll tell you why: We've all read and seen your shtick before. You're in here every day calling conservatives and republicans racist (or some other "ist" or "phobe") and proclaiming that Democrats never do any wrong, have never done anything wrong, are as pure as fresh snow, can't be compared to X, if they did something wrong then it's not a big deal, blah, blah, blah. We LITERALLY had the same exact scenario happen THE VERY DAY AFTER you hid behind someone else's words to call Republicans racist, except with Democrats this time but you had two entirely different reactions.

You had a chance to step up and prove your naysayers wrong and blew it.
This is staggeringly wrong in so many ways. I’m not sure if you’re intentionally mischaracterizing my posts or perhaps you’re drunk and unable to understand what I’ve actually posted. Either way, I’ll clarify briefly, one last time.

1) Lifelong conservative and former California Republican Party leader Mike Madrid described Tommy Tuberville’s openly racist comments introducing Trump at a recent rally a “Klan rally”. I used quote makes to make perfectly clear that those were Madrid’s words. Conservative Republican Mike Madrid.

2) Tuberville’s racist comments were awful and should be universally condemned, and he should be resigning from office instead of playing hype man getting crowd ready for Trump.

3) Tuberville isn’t apologizing for his racism. He isn’t resigning. There is no pressure on him to resign within the Republican Party. Trump did not condemn Tuberville’s racism. In sum, Tuberville’s racism is a virtual non-story on the right. And that speaks volumes.

4) Yesterday a tape emerged of 3 LA City Councilmembers caught on tape making racist remarks. Immediately one of them resigned her leadership post and the Council met today, formally passing a resolution calling for all 3 to resign. California Democrats are virtually unanimous in demanding they step down.

5) Today I jumped into the thread that was already started on the LA City Council and condemned their racist comments, and said they need to step down immediately. Zero defense, zero excuses, zero deflecting, and zero whataboutism. THEY NEED TO GO. Period.

6) If you don’t see how differently this is playing out in the two parties, you’re either not paying attention or you’re being willfully obtuse.
Have the Democrats condemned Biden's many racist comments (which are out there and easy to find) over the years and called for his resignation from the White House?

(Note that this is not a defense of the Republican party, which I find vile)
Should "over the years" get him kicked out now? If people were concerned they should have condemned it and not voted, but it shouldn't impact his presidency now.

Or by over the years do you mean the last 2 years?
I'll answer your questions once gunz answers my question, but I suspect he will duck it, either by continuing to ignore it or by just throwing out a question that doesn't answer my question. He is good at that,.

There were a few (I don’t recall exactly who) in the Tuberville thread who said he was just talking facts. I can’t really understand that take.
Mike?

I read the thread immediately after he started it. nobody had posted yet. Yes, he tried to group republicans as a party, as racist. It riled me up as he was using a broad brush & I was going to object but realizing the source it wouldn't have helped. yes, some hold the views that conservatives/ republicans=racist. Very tired & true tactic used for decades by Dems. I find it distasteful & hurtful.
For the 8th time now, it was lifelong conservative and Republican Mike Madrid that I quoted in that thread labeling the Tuberville/Trump rally as a Klan rally. I even used quote marks, included the link, and included a short bio identifying Madrid as a conservative.

Do you know what these “….” mean? Or are you intentionally lying about what I posted?
Where was your thread for this LA City Council fiasco titled "Democrats are Holding Klan Rallies Now"?

You had no issue running into this forum to start a thread based on some Twitter idiot, using his words as cover to call everyone in the Republican Party a racist based on the statements of ONE person (Tuberville). Now, hang with me here, you DID NOT start a thread indicting EVERY SINGLE DEMOCRAT as racist based on the comments of ONE person (Nunez). What you did, instead, was minimize it by saying, "Well, it's only one person.". Why is that? You just got done indicting every member of the Republican Party for one person's comment but now - "nothing to see here".

I'll tell you why: We've all read and seen your shtick before. You're in here every day calling conservatives and republicans racist (or some other "ist" or "phobe") and proclaiming that Democrats never do any wrong, have never done anything wrong, are as pure as fresh snow, can't be compared to X, if they did something wrong then it's not a big deal, blah, blah, blah. We LITERALLY had the same exact scenario happen THE VERY DAY AFTER you hid behind someone else's words to call Republicans racist, except with Democrats this time but you had two entirely different reactions.

This is staggeringly wrong in so many ways. I’m not sure if you’re intentionally mischaracterizing my posts or perhaps you’re drunk and unable to understand what I’ve actually posted. Either way, I’ll clarify briefly, one last time.

1) Lifelong conservative and former California Republican Party leader Mike Madrid described Tommy Tuberville’s openly racist comments introducing Trump at a recent rally a “Klan rally”. I used quote makes to make perfectly clear that those were Madrid’s words. Conservative Republican Mike Madrid.

2) Tuberville’s racist comments were awful and should be universally condemned, and he should be resigning from office instead of playing hype man getting crowd ready for Trump.

3) Tuberville isn’t apologizing for his racism. He isn’t resigning. There is no pressure on him to resign within the Republican Party. Trump did not condemn Tuberville’s racism. In sum, Tuberville’s racism is a virtual non-story on the right. And that speaks volumes.

4) Yesterday a tape emerged of 3 LA City Councilmembers caught on tape making racist remarks. Immediately one of them resigned her leadership post and the Council met today, formally passing a resolution calling for all 3 to resign. California Democrats are virtually unanimous in demanding they step down.

5) Today I jumped into the thread that was already started on the LA City Council and condemned their racist comments, and said they need to step down immediately. Zero defense, zero excuses, zero deflecting, and zero whataboutism. THEY NEED TO GO. Period.

6) If you don’t see how differently this is playing out in the two parties, you’re either not paying attention or you’re being willfully obtuse.
Have the Democrats condemned Biden's many racist comments (which are out there and easy to find) over the years and called for his resignation from the White House?

Should "over the years" get him kicked out now? If people were concerned they should have condemned it and not voted, but it shouldn't impact his presidency now.

I'll answer your questions once gunz answers my question, but I suspect he will duck it, either by continuing to ignore it or by just throwing out a question that doesn't answer my question. He is good at that,.
Awesome.

LA City Council just passed a resolution demanding the immediate resignations of Martinez, De Leon, and Cedillo.

Bravo. This is how racism is handled in my party.

yeah right. Just like they did in Virginia.
Okay, so what do you want the council to otherwise do??

The LA city council has acted appropriately. My issue is with the bolded. Tommy is acting like the Dems are some moral entity that always does the right thing, when we all know that is far from the truth. He is just showing his trolling tendencies again. It's all good.
It's the LA city council and all so small potatoes but can we get some accountability for a certain orange someone who is sorta influential in politics.
does Rachel still have his tax returns?

The LA city council has acted appropriately. My issue is with the bolded. Tommy is acting like the Dems are some moral entity that always does the right thing, when we all know that is far from the truth. He is just showing his trolling tendencies again. It's all good.
Of course Democrats / liberals don't always do the right thing. Such an assertion would be patently absurd.

It would be blindingly, obviously correct to say that Democrats / liberals do the right thing far more than the current iteration of Republicans / conservatives.

The only thread I saw was the one that bigbottom started and he did NONE of what you are saying. He quoted Tubberville completely with context. That thread was littered with a bunch of personal attacks, conflations and excuses for what he said along the lines of the big bad media outlets are twisting his words and "the man" is making it all up kinds of posts. If that were happening in this thread, I'd be calling it out here too. But the two threads were starkly different in those terms.

Personally, I could give two poops who starts what thread. That feels like a deflection/distraction away from the point. It's a "bar" set that probably NONE of us are ever going to clear. Do they condemn it (even if they didn't start the thread)? Are they consistent in their condemnation? Those are the sorts of things that seem important...at least to me. If the answer is "no", I always like to understand why they believe things are different between the events to cause the perceived inconsistency.

While taking shots at Team Red. But that is expected.

He's not gonna answer you. He loves to accuse others of racism but he pounds the table for Biden, who has been a racist for several decades.

So she has resigned now from her council seat.

I'm guessing the other two will be next unless there is some way for them to deny they heard these comments. We have all been on calls where someone is droning on and we aren't paying attention. Haven't listened to the audio to see how engaged they are in the convo.

I'm guessing the other two will be next unless there is some way for them to deny they heard these comments. We have all been on calls where someone is droning on and we aren't paying attention. Haven't listened to the audio to see how engaged they are in the convo.

Story kept growing and went national, so she had to step down.

Right. Thank you national media for covering the story and thank you to people holding these folks who work for us accountable.

The crux of this and what people were having issues with was that some Republican politicians are not being held to this standard by their constituents. I don't think it is that cut and dry in all the examples that were brought up but there were certainly some.

Right. Thank you national media for covering the story and thank you to people holding these folks who work for us accountable.

The crux of this and what people were having issues with was that some Republican politicians are not being held to this standard by their constituents. I don't think it is that cut and dry in all the examples that were brought up but there were certainly some.

If a GOP person called a black kid a monkey and said he deserves a beatdown, or said in disgust "he is with the blacks" they should quit too.

If a GOP person called a black kid a monkey and said he deserves a beatdown, or said in disgust "he is with the blacks" they should quit too.
I would hope so.

Let’s take the story that was breaking around the same time as this was. Tommy Tuberville comments at the Trump rally. Those comments at the very least deserve further discussion and to be questioned. I haven’t heard anything more from him, no one at say Fox asking for him to speak to those. Maybe I missed them but that should be happening .

Last edited:

They absolutely should. They very likely wouldn't though

They absolutely should. They very likely wouldn't though

Have they said that before? Have not heard of any person in politics calling a black child a monkey, or should get a beatdown before this. And this was from a Dem person of color, albeit a different color that is what is sad.

Maybe this has been touched on, but a couple things - first, I’m curious what the outrage is directed at. I’m assuming it’s her comments about white people because the little monkey comment, to me, applies as a catch all to little kids in general running around acting crazy as little kids are apt to do.

So are we in agreement that the outrage is about her racist take against white people? And if so, I’m white and I’m not the least bit offended.

People look for reasons to be butt hurt.

Maybe this has been touched on, but a couple things - first, I’m curious what the outrage is directed at. I’m assuming it’s her comments about white people because the little monkey comment, to me, applies as a catch all to little kids in general running around acting crazy as little kids are apt to do.

So are we in agreement that the outrage is about her racist take against white people? And if so, I’m white and I’m not the least bit offended.

No agreement, probably been only 50-60 years or so since the term monkey directed at blacks was deemed offensive.

No agreement, probably been only 50-60 years or so since the term monkey directed at blacks was deemed offensive.
I don't know, I heard it more recently than that, but I guess usually with a p word ahead of it.

But yeah, I called my kids monkeys all the time.

I don't know, I heard it more recently than that, but I guess usually with a p word ahead of it.

Context is important. Monkey absolutely has been a term used in a racist context toward black people. I thought that was fairly common knowledge but I guess not. Either way if it was used in referencing a black person it is certainly racist , if it is used in the context of talking about a couple white kids playing then it’s not. Context is important

I suspect you KNOW the answer but are on a fishing/trolling expedition here. Not trying to be mean towards you, just don't know what else to call it. If you are anywhere under 70 years old or so, I have to think you grew up while literally seeing and living through the transition period of how certain words went from non-offensive to accepted as offensive.

A few months ago, for example, I was at a client's house who was having a large tree cut down that had overgrown branches above her roof. The guy in the tree making the cuts to bring the branches down safely before cutting the tree was hispanic. At one point, the elderly lady said "he looks like a little monkey there cutting those out".

You could have heard a pin drop on that removal site and believe me, they aren't quiet usually. After an awkward moment, the men returned to their work and brushed it off as an old lady, nothing meant, but had that been me that said that...not sure it would have ended the same. And that is a "good ole boy, regular joes, blue collar worker environment out in the neighborhood.

My point is, I think you know what the word signified. And, if memory serves, isn't this the same woman who, back in 2020, said about Trump "once again Trump's racist policies against immigrants, people of color and the Constitution comes to light"? Karma.

Thats cool, are your kids black though?

Bottom line is she admitted she was wrong in using the racist term. Nothing really to debate.

This is f’ng bs to me. Calling a little kid running around acting the fool a little monkey is OK in my book regardless of color. It’s only racist because people are programmed to get butt hurt. I knew what the issue was but call bs on it.

How is literally no one outraged about the specific comments she made that WERE racist towards white people? Never mind, I know the answer to that too - because it was directed at white people so therefore it’s ok. It’s such bs anymore.

**** that.

This is f’ng bs to me. Calling a little kid running around acting the fool a little monkey is OK in my book regardless of color. It’s only racist because people are programmed to get butt hurt. I knew what the issue was but call bs on it.

How is literally no one outraged about the specific comments she made that WERE racist towards white people? Never mind, I know the answer to that too - because it was directed at white people so therefore it’s ok. It’s such bs anymore.

**** that.

?? Nobody gets outraged when they are directed at white people.

Bottom line is she admitted she was wrong in using the racist term. Nothing really to debate.
Not last I checked.

I guess sorry for having differing experiences and hearing the word used in an offensive way more recently than 50-60 years ago?

Not last I checked.

I guess sorry for having differing experiences and hearing the word used in an offensive way more recently than 50-60 years ago?

Thats Ok, everybody learns and grows.

Not last I checked.

Yep, learning to not interact with you.

Not last I checked.

Yep, learning to not interact with you.

Thats ok..Interact with whoever you want.

Who has the most incentive to "leak" something like this?

Direct local political enemies is a good start. But what is top of the list?

Someone who wants those City Council seats and jobs. Likely other Democrats and hard leftists who are in contender positions for said seats.

What often doesn't get discussed in the PSF is when there is infighting and bloodshed WITHIN THE SAME PARTY.

Apparently Hakeem Jeffries and Elise Stefanik are in a long term political blood feud. Jeffries is Nancy Pelosi's majordomo for the House Democrats and is seen as a critical policy maker and enforcer for Team Blue. Stefanik is the third ranking member of the House GOP. She will be the tip of the spear for Republicans after the Mid Terms and will run ops to impeach Biden and to hard rail Big Social Media.

Who is mostly likely to hit Jeffries the hardest? You'd think it would be Stefanik, but it's probably going to be some Democrat who has aspirations to be the next Speaker Of The House.

Who is most likley to hit Stefanik the hardest? You'd think it would be Jeffries, but it's probably going to be some Republican who has aspirations to be the next Speaker Of The House.

You say you aren't offended, but what would be the consequences if you were? The issue in play is COST CERTAINTY.

People toe the line of political correctness because they can better predict the likely outcomes that will lean in their favor. Or prevent disfavor. Betting on a mass of those with your viewpoint is a roll of the dice.

Someone wanted some City Council jobs, this always infighting and gamesmanship and blood shed over a few coveted spots.

Context is important. Monkey absolutely has been a term used in a racist context toward black people. I thought that was fairly common knowledge but I guess not. Either way if it was used in referencing a black person it is certainly racist , if it is used in the context of talking about a couple white kids playing then it’s not. Context is important
If you use the word monkey towards kids, regardless of color I don’t see why that is racist.

If you use the word with black kids then you’re being insensitive not understanding (and you should) how it would be perceived.

I think we throw the word racist around way to easily and it has lost its meaning

If you use the word monkey towards kids, regardless of color I don’t see why that is racist.

If you use the word with black kids then you’re being insensitive not understanding (and you should) how it would be perceived.

I think we throw the word racist around way to easily and it has lost its meaning
Totally agree on that last part. When everything is racist, nothing is.

Point #2 certainly applies here since she was on a roll while using other racial references.

Totally agree on that last part. When everything is racist, nothing is.

Oh I agree with that. Problem is the rest of society does not. As you see it is a national story with even Biden commenting on it.

While I agree with the sentiments of what you‘re saying I also think a statement can be racist without the person themselves being racist. But admittedly that opens up the Pandora’s box of is someone racist if they make a racist statement, it’s a slippery slope.

But with all that say I 100% agree the term is excessively overused and one should be very careful when labeling people as such.

While I agree with the sentiments of what you‘re saying I also think a statement can be racist without the person themselves being racist. But admittedly that opens up the Pandora’s box of is someone racist if they make a racist statement, it’s a slippery slope.

But with all that say I 100% agree the term is excessively overused and one should be very careful when labeling people as such.

It is sad for many people but as we have seen over and over before, political correctness has no middle ground.

I've said racist things, and I am confident I am not a racist. :shrug:

I've said racist things, and I am confident I am not a racist. :shrug:
Right, that’s my point. But there is a counter argument to that. Theres also the argument of many racist don’t think they are racist. (Not proclaiming that’s you Karma, just making a point).

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread