What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lance Briggs looking for HUGE coin (1 Viewer)

GRIDIRON ASSASSIN

Footballguy
Briggs’ Price Tag Just Went Up

Lance Briggs By Jason Klabacha

Date: Mar 22, 2006

With their first major free agent acquisition out of the way, the next item on the agenda could be to lockup Pro Bowl LB Lance Briggs long-term. However, a new wrinkle has come into play after one free agent inked a deal that will impact Briggs’ future in Chicago.

The Seattle Seahawks signed former San Francisco linebacker Julian Peterson to a whopping seven-year, $54 million deal. The contract is worth $18.5 million guaranteed, including $10 million this season.

There’s no doubt Briggs’ agent Drew Rosenhaus will use Peterson’s deal as a negotiating ploy when talking to the Bears about getting an extension done.

Three years ago Peterson was one of the best linebackers in the game, but that was before suffering a torn Achilles tendon. The injury limited him to just five games in 2004. He didn’t light the world on fire last year as some wonder if he’ll ever be the same player.

On the other hand, in just his third year Briggs went to the Pro Bowl and was an alternate in his second season. He also received All Pro recognition and Defensive Player of the Year consideration.

Briggs has become a tackle machine with 338 stops over the past two seasons. There is some question if he’s a product of the defensive system and how much he benefits from playing next to five-time Pro Bowl middle linebacker Brian Urlacher.

Still that didn’t stop Rosenhaus from asking for Urlacher type money in his first communication with the Bears, which is $58 million over nine years with a signing bonus of $19 million.

Undoubtedly Rosenhaus will now ask for a bigger contract than Peterson signed and therefore would be trying to make Briggs the highest paid player in franchise history.

Peterson will turn 28 before the start of next season, while Briggs doesn’t turn 26 until November. If he hits the open agent market the Bears will not re-sign the six-foot-1, 240-pounder.

The six-year $33 million contract the St. Louis Rams agreed to with unrestricted free agent LB Will Witherspoon is something the Bears could have worked off of to get a deal done. Now the longer things drag on into the off-season the less likely a deal will get done.

Briggs has already said he would prefer to not talk about his contract during the season. Meaning there is a little more than five months to get something hammered out.

It’s unlikely to happen, but there’s a case to be made for the Bears trying to trade Briggs before the draft. There will be linebackers available that could step in and start as rookies.

Briggs’ value is never going to higher than it is right now. There are several teams in need of linebacker help and would pay dearly for one of his caliber. He should bring no less than a first round pick in return and possibly more.

The problem would be facing the public relations disaster of trading a Pro Bowl linebacker for an unknown commodity. It’s even worse when you consider the team is still $14-15 million under the salary cap after signing QB Brian Griese.

While there’s no doubt the Seahawks overpaid for Peterson, it doesn’t mean Briggs will accept anything less and chances are he’ll want even more.

damn i want l briggs to stay in CHI!

I hope he does pull some hold out BS!

Dynasty owner.

Briggs is a quality player, but Angelo has had good success at the LB position. Yes, I'm aware that he didn't draft Colvin or Holdman, but he did identify their talent and put them in the position to be starters.

I certainly hope they lock him up long term, but not at an unreasonable price.

Briggs is a quality player, but Angelo has had good success at the LB position. Yes, I'm aware that he didn't draft Colvin or Holdman, but he did identify their talent and put them in the position to be starters.

They were starters before he got there. Who you crappin?

Briggs is a quality player, but Angelo has had good success at the LB position.  Yes, I'm aware that he didn't draft Colvin or Holdman, but he did identify their talent and put them in the position to be starters. 

:wall: I'm a idjut. :P Still, I'm just not sure Briggs is worth a mega-deal. That's an awful lot of money to be spending on a pair of LB's.

Briggs is a quality player, but Angelo has had good success at the LB position.   Yes, I'm aware that he didn't draft Colvin or Holdman, but he did identify their talent and put them in the position to be starters. 

:wall: I'm a idjut. :P Still, I'm just not sure Briggs is worth a mega-deal. That's an awful lot of money to be spending on a pair of LB's.
I agree. That's why I wouldn't put it past the Bears to take a LB if one falls. Greenway maybe?!? For flexibility. I like Briggs and all, but that kinda coin tied up in 2 LB's would be too much. If it comes down to either Briggs or Url, I'll take Url.

I also think that's probably too much money...they really should have tried harder to get him locked up sooner. They could always slap the franchise tag on him though to keep him around for at least another year.

Briggs is a quality player, but Angelo has had good success at the LB position.   Yes, I'm aware that he didn't draft Colvin or Holdman, but he did identify their talent and put them in the position to be starters. 

I agree. That's why I wouldn't put it past the Bears to take a LB if one falls. Greenway maybe?!? For flexibility. I like Briggs and all, but that kinda coin tied up in 2 LB's would be too much. If it comes down to either Briggs or Url, I'll take Url.
If the bears go LB it would be a serious mistake considering how bad their offense was last year.

If the bears go LB it would be a serious mistake considering how bad their offense was last year.
offense picked it up a notch once Grossman took over...plus they added Griese.they still could use an upgrade at WR and TE, but they don't necessarily have to burn their 1st round pick on either position.

offense picked it up a notch once Grossman took over...plus they added Griese.they still could use an upgrade at WR and TE, but they don't necessarily have to burn their 1st round pick on either position.
I think they go L. Pope TE is he's thereor

one of the WR's. :unsure:

I will ammend my previous statement though. If Chad Greenway is available he's hard to pass up.

Users who are viewing this thread