What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Johnson deactivated Week 8 (2008) (1 Viewer)

FDNY

Footballguy
http://ap.google.com/article/ALeqM5jwoIt6R...tG6olQD93VO0I81

KANSAS CITY, Mo. (AP) — Kansas City Chiefs running back Larry Johnson will be deactivated for the second week in a row, and quarterbacks Brodie Croyle and Damon Huard were placed on injured reserved on Wednesday.

That leaves third-teamer Tyler Thigpin to start Sunday at the New York Jets.

Johnson, a two-time Pro Bowler, was not active last week as punishment for breaking team rules. The running back is under investigation by the NFL after a woman accused him of spitting at her two weeks ago in a Kansas City nightclub.

The Chiefs were also completing paperwork Wednesday and preparing to sign quarterback Quinn Gray, a member of the Houston Texans and Indianapolis Colts for parts of the season.

Last edited by a moderator:
Coming soon to a week 9 near you...the NFL suspends LJ for at least 3 games!
Season
the NFL doesn't have grounds to suspend him that long. KC could, but not the NFL.The players union would make sure of it, and Goodall has already had to deal with similar issues to LJ's and the suspensions were a game or 2, not any more.

KC releasing him screwing him for the year...possible.

The NFL suspending him for the rest of the season...impossible.

Season
the NFL doesn't have grounds to suspend him that long. KC could, but not the NFL.The players union would make sure of it, and Goodall has already had to deal with similar issues to LJ's and the suspensions were a game or 2, not any more.

does this bump K Smith or Charles more? Last week didn't matter cause they were playing Tenn, but they are playing the Jets (middle of the pack against the run) this week. With a new QB coming in, will they just run the ball, in spite of the score?

With a new QB coming in, will they just run the ball, in spite of the score?
Oakland is a good example of a team that will continue to run the ball, even if they are way behind. Kansas City is just the opposite, at least based on some of the games I've seen this season. Even down as little as 14 points with plenty of time left in the game, they seem to pass on every play--and that's with a former all-pro RB available.This is all based on my memory. I'll try to look it up and see what I find.

Season

does this bump K Smith or Charles more? Last week didn't matter cause they were playing Tenn, but they are playing the Jets (middle of the pack against the run) this week. With a new QB coming in, will they just run the ball, in spite of the score?
I'm also curious who will be a better pickup. Charles or Smith? For a PPR league, Charles looks like the guy who gets all the passes, but Smith started and gets more carries. Is it to obvious that neither is a good option? Going to be an all out RBBC?

I'm not saying LJ is a model citizen, but are we really going to suspend him from the NFL because he spit on someone at a club?

I miss the days of gunfights and makin' it rain.

I'm not saying LJ is a model citizen, but are we really going to suspend him from the NFL because he spit on someone at a club?I miss the days of gunfights and makin' it rain.
Punching woman gets players a 1-2 game suspension, yet people on here think spitting on woman will get LJ life.Too funny.

I'm not saying LJ is a model citizen, but are we really going to suspend him from the NFL because he spit on someone at a club?I miss the days of gunfights and makin' it rain.
:goodposting: none of us are saints. i spit on an ant hill just the other day

:thumbup: none of us are saints. i spit on an ant hill just the other day
It think Herm thinks of himself as a saint the way he's handling this. If I had to guess, from what I've read about the two most recent incidents, I think LJ will be suspended for 2 games by the NFL. That's just my opinion though. I have no idea how the Chiefs will use him after though. One would think they would run him into the ground so he could put up semi decent numbers in order to get a little trade interest in the offseason. But if they just keep benching him, they might as well just cut him outright because their trade options will be limited. But a 5th or 6th rounder is better than nothing I guess.

:confused: none of us are saints. i spit on an ant hill just the other day
It think Herm thinks of himself as a saint the way he's handling this. If I had to guess, from what I've read about the two most recent incidents, I think LJ will be suspended for 2 games by the NFL. That's just my opinion though. I have no idea how the Chiefs will use him after though. One would think they would run him into the ground so he could put up semi decent numbers in order to get a little trade interest in the offseason. But if they just keep benching him, they might as well just cut him outright because their trade options will be limited. But a 5th or 6th rounder is better than nothing I guess.
With his salary i don't even think the Chiefs could dump him if THEY included a pick with him.They are probably just gonna outright release him during this season or during the offseason, no team will want to pick up his contract based on what it is now.

Punching woman gets players a 1-2 game suspension, yet people on here think spitting on woman will get LJ life.Too funny.
Has the NFL suspended him before for this?He's had a number of run ins with the law and women. Pacman got a year suspension, and he wasn't even convicted of anything, it was more a "you've been messing up for awhile" type deal. LJ has been messing up for awhile, at least 4 times since his domestic violence treatment. Sure this incident might not be a 4-8 gamer, but given his history I could see it.And for anyone looking for information on his trade value, I just traded him for Randy Moss straight up, ppr dynasty (he has jamal charles). Was quite happy to be done with the LJ drama, not to mention he turns 29 in 4 weeks. Just a hunch, I do think the Pats would take a run at him for a 2nd round pick in the offseason. They did the same with Corey Dillon. Adding LJ to that offense next year would be utterly sick. In terms of a teammate/cancer, he has pretty much carried the Chiefs for a few years, and from what I've heard he isn't the only vet thats pissed off. Dillon was pretty much in the same situation, unhappy, crappy team, wanting to win. And he was a beast for a few years with the Pats. Regardless it was too much drama dealing with him beating up chicks, getting benched, suspended, and replaced on 3rd downs by a rookie, on one of the worst teams I've seen in a long time.

:confused: none of us are saints. i spit on an ant hill just the other day
With his salary i don't even think the Chiefs could dump him if THEY included a pick with him.They are probably just gonna outright release him during this season or during the offseason, no team will want to pick up his contract based on what it is now.
People said the same thing about Moss. What did Moss do? Take a pay cut. LJ will have no choice, get cut, or get traded and re-work your deal. Either way, he's going to be losing a lot of money next year. If the landing spot is nice enough, LJ will gladly take a ticket out of KC (Pats would be my guess).

I realize this is a hijack but BOTH of their qb's were put on IR??? Sheesh. Jets D is the big winner in all of this.
I am thinking the same thing but I have a real bad feeling for some reason this is a trap. The Jets couldn't really get it done against the Bengals at home the last time everyone was clamoring for them as a huge sleeper play. I have watched the Jets a lot this year and it seemingly takes one big play against them and they get back on their heels and start letting up huge chunks of yardage. Also I will have to check but I believe the mobility of Fitzpatrick gave the Jets some problems as well in that game. Thigpen is a scrambler, no?

LJ issued an apology today:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3658139

I find it encouraging that he accompanied Herm to the podium. My take from it is that after this week, up until he gets suspended by the league (if there is a suspension) he'll be back in the starting lineup.
So will the NFL make a ruling this week or can they postpone it til next week if they decide to suspend him? I am hoping Peterson and Herm took matters in their own hands, deactivating him before the nfl could suspend him. I know he is still getting paid but maybe they would levy a fine and say he already served his time? Anyone know how this happens? Can godell drag this out and suspend him in 2 or 3 weeks from now?

Season

Jets are fourth in the league against the run.http://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2008/opp.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
No way am I cutting him from my roster. At 5-2, I can afford to wait and see.
I'm holding too. He's got some favorable matchups later in the year so if he doesn't get suspended, he could possibly put up some big numbers. LJ seems to run better when he's angry and when he has something to prove too. I'm guessing he's mad and has something to prove again.

3C said:
Statler & Waldorf said:
Here's the video of LJ at the press conference:

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80bdb419
It's a step in the right direction for him. Hopefully he's sincere and he truly works at it.
I agree. He needs to lay off the booze. It seems like all these incidents happen when he's pretty liquored up.And it looks as like this isn't going in the same direction as the TO/Eagles fiasco a couple of years ago. If that was the case, he would have held his press conference from his driveway in between situps instead of at Arrowhead with the Chiefs logo prominently displayed.

I want to know what the hell happened, to be honest. There's some conflicting reports out there and it's not completely clear, nevermind the fact that we're still at the allegation stage (although he's putting himself in generally bad situations, to be sure).

All previous incidents have been dropped, either by the court or by the money-grabber originally making the BS claim.

So from a fantasy perspective, do you go after him from a disgruntled LJ owner? Offer a McFadden, Edge type RB that gets some carries for a potential stud in a couple of weeks? Potential being the key to this. He could just be done for the season and any trade for him is a bad deal.

So from a fantasy perspective, do you go after him from a disgruntled LJ owner? Offer a McFadden, Edge type RB that gets some carries for a potential stud in a couple of weeks? Potential being the key to this. He could just be done for the season and any trade for him is a bad deal.
LJ owner here, if I was offered McFadden for him I'd take that deal & run like hell. No one wants LJ

I like to think LJ is a great buy low.....but there's a lot of risk involved as none of us know what's gonna happen yet. If you have the depth and the roster space, and you're a gambling type a of person and can get him on the cheap, then I say go for it.

Thats my thought process in this. i am a gambler, traded Westbrook and farve a few weeks ago while they were hot for McNabb,Wayne and Egge. Lokked crazy at first but I have come out ahead so far. My gut tells me that LJ will come around even if it is 4 weks from now after all this passes. Alot of people look at FF from a week to week perspective,(usually not people around here) LJ could put up big number down the stretch if he gets his head on straight and remembers that he is well paid to play a game.

As a gauge, I was offered LJ in a Zealots Field dynasty league:

I'd get:

Johnson, Larry KCC RB

Berrian, Bernard MIN WR

Ware, Demarcus DAL LB

I'd give:

Addai, Joseph IND RB

Brown, Reggie PHI WR

Thornton, David TEN LB

As soon as I get home to a PC where MFL isn't blocked, that'll be denied...

I wonder with all of this morning's drug violations, the LJ thing will just be slipped into a file somewhere in the NFL records room and forgotten.

Season

Won't the Jets gameplan to stop the run and force the Chiefs to throw?

I realize this is a hijack but BOTH of their qb's were put on IR??? Sheesh. Jets D is the big winner in all of this.
I am thinking the same thing but I have a real bad feeling for some reason this is a trap. The Jets couldn't really get it done against the Bengals at home the last time everyone was clamoring for them as a huge sleeper play. I have watched the Jets a lot this year and it seemingly takes one big play against them and they get back on their heels and start letting up huge chunks of yardage. Also I will have to check but I believe the mobility of Fitzpatrick gave the Jets some problems as well in that game. Thigpen is a scrambler, no?
Over/under on KC INTs = 3I don't normally do this, but I would put a moderate bet on a pick>6 or sack>fumble>68 men in the box and the Jets will STILL pick off KC virtually at will. Esp. after being embarrassed last weekend and facing a team that is traveling 2/3 of the way across the country, I expect the Jets to dominate this game on both sides of the ball. And, trust me, this phan hates the Jets and would love nothing more than seeing KC thrash them.Then again, Herm Edwards might have some way of motivating his club against his old team (yeah, right).

Over/under on KC INTs = 3I don't normally do this, but I would put a moderate bet on a pick>6 or sack>fumble>68 men in the box and the Jets will STILL pick off KC virtually at will. Esp. after being embarrassed last weekend and facing a team that is traveling 2/3 of the way across the country, I expect the Jets to dominate this game on both sides of the ball. And, trust me, this phan hates the Jets and would love nothing more than seeing KC thrash them.Then again, Herm Edwards might have some way of motivating his club against his old team (yeah, right).
Yeah, Herm did nothing to get his men up against his old team in Week 17 last season, so I have no reason to believe he will this time.My predicted final is 38-7.

Users who are viewing this thread