What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Larry Johnson (1 Viewer)

wannabee

Footballguy
With Priest's concussion, it got me thinking. Where would you feel comfortable projecting/drafting LJ if Priest went down for the season tomorrow? I might consider LJ for top 10 overall. He would compare favorably to many of the RBs from RB6 (Willis, Dom, KJ, Lewis, Rudi, JJones, etc.) to RB12.What do you think?

With Priest's concussion, it got me thinking. Where would you feel comfortable projecting/drafting LJ if Priest went down for the season tomorrow?

I might consider LJ for top 10 overall. He would compare favorably to many of the RBs from RB6 (Willis, Dom, KJ, Lewis, Rudi, JJones, etc.) to RB12.

What do you think?
I'd probably take him #3 overall if it were certain that Holmes were not going to play at all this year.Otherwise, it would depend on the injury and Holmes' chances of returning.

With Priest's concussion, it got me thinking. Where would you feel comfortable projecting/drafting LJ if Priest went down for the season tomorrow?

I might consider LJ for top 10 overall. He would compare favorably to many of the RBs from RB6 (Willis, Dom, KJ, Lewis, Rudi, JJones, etc.) to RB12.

What do you think?
He was #1 fantasy RB over the last six weeks in my league. #3 sounds about right to me.

We needed another Priest/LJ thread like Ron Mexico's girlfriends need another shot at the STD sweepstakes. Enough already - do a search on the other 200 threads!!! :hot:

So, you guys think LJ has proven enough (injury history and length of performance) to take him over Edge?That is aggressive. I agree with everyone on his upside, but do not yet have a handle on LJ's downside risk. I guess I still remember the "diaper" comment.

So, you guys think LJ has proven enough (injury history and length of performance) to take him over Edge?

That is aggressive. I agree with everyone on his upside, but do not yet have a handle on LJ's downside risk.

I guess I still remember the "diaper" comment.
If Priest is out for the season and you draft LJ over Edge, go ahead and quit this hobby. That's insane.

I'll be in the minority here because of what Johnson did the last few games of last year: When Priest retires, KC will come to find out Johnson is not their RB of the future.Huge difference between being a 16-game back vs. being a RB with fresh legs for the 2nd half of the season. Ask A-train.IMO It's a no brainer to take Cadillac. You say you don't know that Cadillac can do it.....how do you know Larry Johnson would be successful over a full 16 game season??

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you guys think LJ has proven enough (injury history and length of performance) to take him over Edge?

That is aggressive.  I agree with everyone on his upside, but do not yet have a handle on LJ's downside risk. 

If Priest is out for the season and you draft LJ over Edge, go ahead and quit this hobby. That's insane.
That's a pretty strong statement. What do you not like about LJ's game, specifically? :)

That is aggressive. I agree with everyone on his upside, but do not yet have a handle on LJ's downside risk.

That's a pretty strong statement. What do you not like about LJ's game, specifically? :)
Watched him in college and was only solid for a brief short period of time last year vs. a RB who year in and year out is a top 5 RB I guess. When faced with choosing a RB who will give you top RB production vs. a RB who hasn't done it enough to warrent a first round pick, I'll take the legit stud.

I wouldn't be shocked to see LJ be this year's Barlow, you know, the guy who filled in and dominated for a part of season only to come back and do little.

I'll be in the minority here because of what Johnson did the last few games of last year: When Priest retires, KC will come to find out Johnson is not their RB of the future.

Huge difference between being a 16-game back vs. being a RB with fresh legs for the 2nd half of the season. Ask A-train.

IMO It's a no brainer to take Cadillac. You say you don't know that Cadillac can do it.....how do you know Larry Johnson would be successful over a full 16 game season??
:goodposting: The answer to your last question: You don't know. But you do know what you will generally get out of SA or Edge or LT

The year that Ricky Williams left New Orleans, Duece was going in the late 1st and early 2nd. He had never shown anything in the pros. LJ put up 25 ppg as the main ball carrier. As the undisputed starter....top 3 works for me.

The year that Ricky Williams left New Orleans, Duece was going in the late 1st and early 2nd. He had never shown anything in the pros. LJ put up 25 ppg as the main ball carrier. As the undisputed starter....top 3 works for me.
I watched DM in college and LJ, noooooo comparison. Now, if KC let Priest go, then you could compare the two situations.

#3 at worst??? Are you guys insane? That means you would pick him as high as #2 and ahead of proven studs like Alexander, Edge, Deuce, etc. This hype is unwarranted. LJ will be is a great backup and would be a good starting RB, but no way should he be drafted that high. I hope the other owners in my leagues are snorting the same blow you guys are jonesing for...

I watched DM in college and LJ, noooooo comparison. Now, if KC let Priest go, then you could compare the two situations.
Your right, LJ was better.

#3 at worst??? Are you guys insane? That means you would pick him as high as #2 and ahead of proven studs like Alexander, Edge, Deuce, etc. This hype is unwarranted. LJ will be is a great backup and would be a good starting RB, but no way should he be drafted that high. I hope the other owners in my leagues are snorting the same blow you guys are jonesing for...
I think you guys are the ones that are insane. How many RBs in the NFL starting or back-up can you name for me that IF they were the sole and featured runner behind the KC Oline in a Vermeil system would you NOT take in the top 3. LJ is not an unproven, he proved lat year he can be just as effective as Holmes in that role.

Just a small part of me actually thinks you are serious.

I wouldn't be shocked to see LJ be this year's Barlow, you know, the guy who filled in and dominated for a part of season only to come back and do little.
The Chiefs seem to be a much more stable team, and have a lot of other talent on offense. LJ is in his third year, and by then most RBs are conditioned to the long season. I can't recall any injury concerns with him, either.

I guess I'm just not seeing the downside, and the upside seems pretty high.

Sure, Edge would probably be a safer pick in this hypothetical, but to say that it's insane to take LJ over him seems a bit much.

I think you guys are the ones that are insane. How many RBs in the NFL starting or back-up can you name for me that IF they were the sole and featured runner behind the KC Oline in a Vermeil system would you NOT take in the top 3. LJ is not an unproven, he proved lat year he can be just as effective as Holmes in that role.
LJ is not a top 3 back, Priest or no Priest. Prove me wrong and draft him top three then post in this thread how wrong I was.

How is suggesting LJ as a Top 5 pick any more outrageous than McGahee as a Top 5 pick?

The Chiefs seem to be a much more stable team, and have a lot of other talent on offense. LJ is in his third year, and by then most RBs are conditioned to the long season. I can't recall any injury concerns with him, either.

I guess I'm just not seeing the downside, and the upside seems pretty high.

Sure, Edge would probably be a safer pick in this hypothetical, but to say that it's insane to take LJ over him seems a bit much.
People forget that until late last year, LJ was a bust and cancer. Now, he's the next Priest? :no: I have NO problem taking LT or SA or Edge or Peyton over LJ. Every dog has their day and LJ had his for a small period of time last year.

See Barlow as a prime example the last two years, that's what I would see with LJ if given the starting chance.

People forget that until late last year, LJ was a bust and cancer. Now, he's the next Priest? :no:

I have NO problem taking LT or SA or Edge or Peyton over LJ. Every dog has their day and LJ had his for a small period of time last year.

See Barlow as a prime example the last two years, that's what I would see with LJ if given the starting chance.
I never saw LJ as a bust, which is probably the difference in our perspectives.Again, I don't think the Barlow situation is comparable.

Also, I would definitely take LT and SA before LJ as well. I don't draft QBs in round one, so really we only disagree over Edge, which is cool if you prefer him. I just thought the "go ahead and quit this hobby" line was a bit over the top. ;)

We can only go by facts, the fact is, in this system LJ avg 4.8 yds a carry. Only one other RB last year (with 115+ carries) produced better than LJ.............S. Jackson. To each his own.

Just a small part of me actually thinks you are serious.
Ok, which part of these seasons impressed you so much more than LJ's:
Code:
-RUSHING-Year	G-S	Att	Yds	TD	Lg	Avg.	1997	11-1	94	402	4	31	4.31998	11-11	212	1082	7	37	5.11999	10-0	151	809	12	84	5.42000	11-8	159	767	14	72	4.8Total	43-20	616	3060	37	84	5.0-RECEIVING-Year	G-S	Rec	Yds	TD	Lg	Avg.	1997	11-1	7	71	0	35	10.11998	11-11	18	154	0	20	8.61999	10-0	20	201	0	43	10.12000	11-8	18	190	2	47	10.6Total	43-20	63	616	2	47	9.8
LJ's stats:
Code:
RUSHING STATISTICSYEAR	GP	GS	NO	YARDS	AVG	TD	LONG	GM/AVG1999	10	0	43	171	4.0	1	40	17.102000	12	1	75	358	4.8	3	58	29.832001	11	5	71	337	4.7	2	31	30.642002	13	12	271	2,087	7.7	20	84	160.54TOTAL	46	18	460	2,953	6.4	26	84	64.20RECEIVING STATISTICS	KICKOFF RETURNSYEAR	NO	YARDS	AVG	TD	LONG	NO	YARDS	AVG	TD	LONG1999	4	74	18.5	1	60	13	230	17.7	0	402000	9	122	13.6	1	61	18	444	24.7	0	652001	11	136	12.4	2	50	17	454	26.7	1	972002	41	349	8.5	3	36	11	219	19.9	0	53TOTAL	65	681	10.5	7	61	59	1,347	22.8	1	97

Didn't the Chiefs rush for like 8 TDs in one game last year? I would seriously consider LJ #1 if Priest was out for the year. #3 at worst.

LJ is not a top 3 back, Priest or no Priest. Prove me wrong and draft him top three then post in this thread how wrong I was.
:lmao: Gotta love this, we are talking about a hypothetical, unless Holmes goes down for the ENTIRE YEAR, this is pointless.
People forget that until late last year, LJ was a bust and cancer. Now, he's the next Priest? :no:

I have NO problem taking LT or SA or Edge or Peyton over LJ. Every dog has their day and LJ had his for a small period of time last year.

There was very little basis to be calling LJ a bust last year and anyone who did flat out overreacted. I mean come on, those assumptions were being based off of what... 20 carries for the year. :rolleyes:

I never saw LJ as a bust, which is probably the difference in our perspectives.Again, I don't think the Barlow situation is comparable.

Also, I would definitely take LT and SA before LJ as well. I don't draft QBs in round one, so really we only disagree over Edge, which is cool if you prefer him. I just thought the "go ahead and quit this hobby" line was a bit over the top. ;)
Hopefully, for this thread's sake, Priest will be out and you can draft LJ and I have a choice and draft Edge and then we can compare their numbers during the season.

:lmao: Gotta love this, we are talking about a hypothetical, unless Holmes goes down for the ENTIRE YEAR, this is pointless.

There was very little basis to be calling LJ a bust last year and anyone who did flat out overreacted. I mean come on, those assumptions were being based off of what... 20 carries for the year. :rolleyes:
I agree, this thread is 100% pointless and I wish I could get my life back from it. That said, lets wait to see if Priest will be out then cross that bridge when we get to it.

If Priest tore his ACL tomorrow I would draft LJ first overall.

I could run for 20 TDs in KC.
Maybe ... but how many catches would you get? Does Trent respect your game enough to audible to you?

That is aggressive.  I agree with everyone on his upside, but do not yet have a handle on LJ's downside risk. 

Insane?Edge may be the more talented back, but in the Colts offense, he's kind of an afterthought. LJ plays in the most dominant rushing offense (scoring wise) in the NFL.

Consider 2004 :

James - 9 TD on 385 touches. 2.33% TD rate

Johnson - 11 TD on 142 touches. 7.75% TD rate

I'd take my chances on LJ with 300-400 touches guaranteed......

Insane?Edge may be the more talented back, but in the Colts offense, he's kind of an afterthought. LJ plays in the most dominant rushing offense (scoring wise) in the NFL.

Consider 2004 :

Sounds like the same thing I heard this time last year about Barlow...Really a mute point, he won't even start for KC unless Priest is done.

Consider 2004 :

Sounds like the same thing I heard this time last year about Barlow...Really a mute point, he won't even start for KC unless Priest is done.
Please stop comparing LJ to Barlow, the situations are so vastly different it is amazing to see anyone even site this as a point.

Consider 2004 :

Did D-Mac start in N.O when R. Williams was there?

Consider 2004 :

Please stop comparing LJ to Barlow, the situations are so vastly different it is amazing to see anyone even site this as a point.
Then please stop saying how great LJ will be when it won't even happen this year.I'll come back to this thread if Priest gets traded and/or has season ending surgery before the draft and let me know where you drafted LJ.

LJ a top pick. :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: Please put me in your league!

Consider 2004 :

Are you really comparing San Francisco's running attack to Kansas City's?

Consider 2004 :

Did E. James start in N.O when R. Williams was there?
No, he didn't, because he was starting for Indy.

Then please stop saying how great LJ will be when it won't even happen this year.

I'll come back to this thread if Priest gets traded and/or has season ending surgery before the draft and let me know where you drafted LJ.

Are you even following this thread? the discussion surrounds a HYPOTHETICAL situation in which Holmes is forced to sit out the entire year. If that actually occurs, and you want to draft Manning, Edge, McGahee, McAllister, etc. in front of Johnson, I would gladly have you in my league.Where would YOU take him if the aforementioned scenario were to play itself out? Is he even a first-round choice? Second? Third?

Consider 2004 :

Did D-Mac start in N.O when R. Williams was there?
No, he didn't, because he was starting for Indy.
Sorry, meant D-Mac, I'm eating pizza, enjoying ride, listening to the Ticket, and reading. Fixed

Consider 2004 :

Then please stop saying how great LJ will be when it won't even happen this year.I'll come back to this thread if Priest gets traded and/or has season ending surgery before the draft and let me know where you drafted LJ.

I think you maybe lost or something then... THAT IS WHAT THIS THREAD WAS STARTED FOR! It was a question based off of the hypothetical situation that LJ is the featured and only runner in KC. Maybe you should simply go back an reread the intital post. :shrug: Beat me to it Evil

Actually, this thread has some importance if you buy Yudkin's strategy of drafting Priest #1 overall and handcuffing him come pick 40-41. I happen to be in that position and am seriously considering that option (just kidding for all you KFL guys reading this...).So, to drag this out some, perhaps we're posing the wrong question. Instead of IF Priest were out or traded, lemme pose the following:Question: If you take Priesty 1-3, how long do you wait to handcuff him??? If you don't take Priest, how early would you consider stealing LJ?WolfGO CHEFS

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think drafting McGahee top-6 is ludicrous, especially given the run D's in his division. Seriously, is there anyone on this site that believes Losman will be staring down less than 8 in the box until he wins a few with his arm???Wolf

Then please stop saying how great LJ will be when it won't even happen this year.

I'll come back to this thread if Priest gets traded and/or has season ending surgery before the draft and let me know where you drafted LJ.

Are you even following this thread? the discussion surrounds a HYPOTHETICAL situation in which Holmes is forced to sit out the entire year. If that actually occurs, and you want to draft Manning, Edge, McGahee, McAllister, etc. in front of Johnson, I would gladly have you in my league.Where would YOU take him if the aforementioned scenario were to play itself out? Is he even a first-round choice? Second? Third?
Contact me then if this happens. Would gladly join your league.

Oh, and for what it's worth, I think drafting McGahee top-6 is ludicrous, especially given the run D's in his division. Seriously, is there anyone on this site that believes Losman will be staring down less than 8 in the box until he wins a few with his arm???

Wolf
Funny, I was wondering if anyone on this site actually thought that Lossman could play WORSE than Bledsoe did last year. I know I sure don't, I don't care if he is a 1st year starter or not. Bledsoe was one of, if not the worst starting QBs in the NFL last year. Surprisingly, he probably went to the only team in the NFL for which he is an upgrade in Dal. Wash don't count because Brunell is no longer starting.

Question: If you take Priesty 1-3, how long do you wait to handcuff him??? If you don't take Priest, how early would you consider stealing LJ?

Wolf

GO CHEFS
Wolf, not trying to be mean, but there are literally dozens of threads about this topic. Use the search function and you'll find all sorts of discussion on that. :thumbup:

Faulk, then Holmes, then Blaylock, then Johnson...When are peopel going to realize that the thing being drafted top-3 is "**** Vermeil's Starting RB", not anyone in particular?Colin

Users who are viewing this thread