What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Last minute Waiver Wire Gems? (1 Viewer)

Eminence

Footballguy
Does anyone have any waiver wire gems to pickup before playoffs? I've clinched in three-leagues and am now aiming to potentially pick up a few players that will provide monster games for me.

I'm thinking of Jericho Cotchery. Seems like that guy is on this seasonn

I also think Cordarelle Patterson has finally turned the corner.

My interest is peaked on Justin Hunter.

Moreno's situation will be interesting to watch. You don't want to grind out your back right before the Playoffs, if he's hurt let Peyton Manning be Peyton Manning. Even if Moreno is limited, it may give room for someone else to have a big game.

Julian Edelman, I'm not sure if that was an anomaly but he came to play that game. Him and Tom had great connections against the Broncos.

If Housler is available that makes for a decent grab. But I've learned this year you don't want to be out on a Tight End. Having Julius Thomas has definitely helped my Fantasy Teams.

Donnie Avery has been quiet for awhile, he might be due to end up in the end zone.

*shrugs*

I've got a blank starting spot on my roster where I think someone on Waiver Wire might perform everyone who I have the option of starting. I need to hit big in a few weeks or it's game over.

I'm with you, I got a roster spot open looking for a waiver gem.

My waiver claims are in this order:

Patterson --> especially because I get kick return points

Edelman

Hunter

Since I'm stacked at RB, I'm also backing up Julius Thomas. I'm putting a claim on Timothy Wright for TE. I'd got for Housler too, but he's owned in my league.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are struggling at QB (RG3 owner here) I like rolling the dice and picking up Flacco.

In weeks 14-15-16 he plays MN-Det-NE

I'm locked into a playoff spot as well, and have the ability to watch RG3 one more week to make a decision for week 14s first playoff game.

Flacco does not have near the weapons he had last year, but at least I can cross my fingers that he can turn it on late.

To the OP, if your locked in to the playoffs already, now's not the time to speculate on a flier. Now's the time to set up your playoff defenses and maybe even lock down a fair weather or dome kicker. You got to go with the lineup that got you where you are.

Now this is a great thread for those of us fighting to squeak into the playoffs somehow and we need to catch lightning in a bottle. Lot of good suggestions here ROS. The Denver RB backups Ball, Anderson have some real value going forward. Justin Hunter looks like the real deal for dynasty purposes, but don't know if I could trust his QB Fitzpatrick. Marquis Goodwin is the one guy I'd love to grab for the stretch run, in a do or die situation against a better opponent. He's a swing for the fences or strike out gype guy. May as well go down in a blaze. I like Edelman too because he's got that upside for the 30 point game, even it's a huge gamble.

But as for you OP, who are sitting pretty with a good lineup and dominant team, you really don't need to be taking these kinds of risks. You need to mitigate your risks if anything and increase your safety factor. Leave the desperation plays to those of us who are truly desperate.

I've been rolling with Gates as my TE all year. He was a late draft pick that has way outperformed his draft pick status. However, I've had a chance to see quite a few San Diego plays watching red zone all year. Gates looks slow, painfully slow. Green looks fast and athletic. I'm very concerned that Green will start getting the lion's share of targets. Not sure what to do here.

I've been rolling with Gates as my TE all year. He was a late draft pick that has way outperformed his draft pick status. However, I've had a chance to see quite a few San Diego plays watching red zone all year. Gates looks slow, painfully slow. Green looks fast and athletic. I'm very concerned that Green will start getting the lion's share of targets. Not sure what to do here.
I kind of feel like I'm keeping Green in my hip pocket.

Owners of Reed (radio silence out of DC, what's going on there?), Cameron, others, may have similar concerns.

Owners of Reed (radio silence out of DC, what's going on there?), Cameron, others, may have similar concerns.
Cameron has really gone downhill. I have given serious thought to dumping him for green. One more week of green outperforming him might be all I need to see

To the OP, if your locked in to the playoffs already, now's not the time to speculate on a flier. Now's the time to set up your playoff defenses and maybe even lock down a fair weather or dome kicker. You got to go with the lineup that got you where you are.

Now this is a great thread for those of us fighting to squeak into the playoffs somehow and we need to catch lightning in a bottle. Lot of good suggestions here ROS. The Denver RB backups Ball, Anderson have some real value going forward. Justin Hunter looks like the real deal for dynasty purposes, but don't know if I could trust his QB Fitzpatrick. Marquis Goodwin is the one guy I'd love to grab for the stretch run, in a do or die situation against a better opponent. He's a swing for the fences or strike out gype guy. May as well go down in a blaze. I like Edelman too because he's got that upside for the 30 point game, even it's a huge gamble.

But as for you OP, who are sitting pretty with a good lineup and dominant team, you really don't need to be taking these kinds of risks. You need to mitigate your risks if anything and increase your safety factor. Leave the desperation plays to those of us who are truly desperate.
Hoping streater can give me some decent wr3 numbers this week and beyond...

I've done a similar thing (have both on my roster), but I don't have the confidence to pull the trigger and start Green. It just "feels" like its a transition that's going to happen sooner rather than later. Would love to hear from a San Diego homer on this one. Maybe I'll PM Maurile.

Wondering if this is the week to pick up Dennis Pitta or Owen Daniels. Could be huge in the playoffs, especially with Baltimore in the hunt and if Daniels take the targets from Graham.

Green is better than Gates right now, both as a receiver and as a blocker.

Gates isn't going to be benched, though. (Nor should he be. He is still one of the Chargers' top four receivers along with Allen, Woodhead, and Green).

What the Chargers should do to get Green on the field more is to run more double-TE sets. Either Gates or Green can be split out wide, so there's a lot of versatility that is perfect for the Chargers' version of the no-huddle. Going no-huddle prevents defensive substitutions. Gates and Green can be split out against a base defense, or they can line up in-line against a nickel. They can get a matchup they like (based on Gates' and Green's versatility) and then force the defense to stay in it.

The Chargers have indeed done more of that lately. Over the last seven games, the amount of the time that they've had both Gates and Green on the field together has climbed from about 15% of the time to about 35% of the time. Still too low for my tastes, though. I'd make it 80% of the time, myself.

Green this year kind of reminds me of Gates his rookie year. He didn't play much over the first half of the season, but as soon as he started to get more playing time, it was obvious that he was good, and he eventually was a big part of the offense by the end of the year.

I would be very uncomfortable starting Green until he starts to get more than 50% of the snaps. You'd be depending on a big play, which is unreliable. But if the Chargers coaches make Green a part of the base offense, as I would do, I think he'd become a fantasy TE1 down the stretch.

I would be very uncomfortable starting Green until he starts to get more than 50% of the snaps. You'd be depending on a big play, which is unreliable. But if the Chargers coaches make Green a part of the base offense, as I would do, I think he'd become a fantasy TE1 down the stretch.
Great analysis. So you believe this trend of increasing the % of snaps in 2-TE sets is going to continue, and think there's a good chance Green becomes a TE1 during the most important part of the fantasy season? I'm loving the optimism and really hope you're right. Him and Pitta could be huge for owners that are missing the single ingredient of a decent TE in a year where there is a huge drop off after the top ~4.

Great analysis. So you believe this trend of increasing the % of snaps in 2-TE sets is going to continue, and think there's a good chance Green becomes a TE1 during the most important part of the fantasy season? I'm loving the optimism and really hope you're right. Him and Pitta could be huge for owners that are missing the single ingredient of a decent TE in a year where there is a huge drop off after the top ~4.
I don't think Maurile is saying that at all. I think it's what he would do if he was coach of the Chargers. The important part to takeaway from his take is that Gates is not going away, despite getting outplayed in all facets of the game by Green. It would be smart to phase out Gates and usher in the Ladarius Green era, but until the coaching staff get that memo, until the snap percentages favor Green, he's going to be a risky fantasy play with upside. He's made some nice plays on his steady diet of 5 targets per game. But it's real hard to maintain that high of a YPC going forward.

I don't think Maurile is saying that at all. I think it's what he would do if he was coach of the Chargers. The important part to takeaway from his take is that Gates is not going away, despite getting outplayed in all facets of the game by Green. It would be smart to phase out Gates and usher in the Ladarius Green era, but until the coaching staff get that memo, until the snap percentages favor Green, he's going to be a risky fantasy play with upside. He's made some nice plays on his steady diet of 5 targets per game. But it's real hard to maintain that high of a YPC going forward.
You're right, I didn't read it closely enough. He did mention the snap percentage has been climbing over the past seven games, and his targets have increased recently as well. It seems to indicate the coaching staff might be slowly but surely working his percentage up as the season progresses, even if it never reaches the 80% Maurile would want. I suppose it could happen though.

If you ask me, I think it'd be wise to do as Gates may not completely break down, but almost surely slow down towards the end of the season and into the (possible) playoffs when they might need him most. Aside from Keenan, none of their WRs exactly inspire confidence.

Per RotoWorld:

Jordan Reed (concussion) was limited in practice Wednesday.

Now we know Reed has been cleared for exercise. As long as he gets clearance for contact and then makes it through the week without symptoms, he'll be ready to go for Sunday night's game against the Giants. Averaging 5.5 catches for 60.8 yards with three touchdowns in the eight full games he's played in this year, Reed will be a fine TE1 play.

I actually like Ryan Fitzpatrick in a desperate kind of way. @ Den, Ari, @ Jax during weeks 14-16

:2cents:

Green is better than Gates right now, both as a receiver and as a blocker.

Gates isn't going to be benched, though. (Nor should he be. He is still one of the Chargers' top four receivers along with Allen, Woodhead, and Green).

What the Chargers should do to get Green on the field more is to run more double-TE sets. Either Gates or Green can be split out wide, so there's a lot of versatility that is perfect for the Chargers' version of the no-huddle. Going no-huddle prevents defensive substitutions. Gates and Green can be split out against a base defense, or they can line up in-line against a nickel. They can get a matchup they like (based on Gates' and Green's versatility) and then force the defense to stay in it.

The Chargers have indeed done more of that lately. Over the last seven games, the amount of the time that they've had both Gates and Green on the field together has climbed from about 15% of the time to about 35% of the time. Still too low for my tastes, though. I'd make it 80% of the time, myself.

Green this year kind of reminds me of Gates his rookie year. He didn't play much over the first half of the season, but as soon as he started to get more playing time, it was obvious that he was good, and he eventually was a big part of the offense by the end of the year.

Thank you, sir. Always appreciate your insight.

Users who are viewing this thread