What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Latest Draft Rumors (1 Viewer)

Sigmund Bloom

Footballguy
Staff member
link

Courtesy of Rob Rang at NFLDraftScout (free content):

Rumors in a nutshell:

- Jason Allen's hip has gotten a medical red flag and might be a degenerative condition.

- Dont count Green Bay out as a possible destination for Young or Cutler because Ted Thompson trusts his talent evaluation and is willing to go BPA. Curiously, they don't seem as interested in Leinart.

- White's pro day caused one league source to recommend that his team take White out of the mix for their first round pick after being someone they were considering. Another said this is basically more of the same from the lazy, immature White.

- Scouts were not impressed with Leinart's pro day and possibly irked by his decision to not run the 40. Draft boards vary on his ranking at QB, with a few teams having Young or Cutler ahead of him, and one having both ahead of him.

Last edited by a moderator:
link

Rumors in a nutshell:

- Jason Allen's hip has gotten a medical red flag and might be a degenerative condition.

- Dont count Green Bay out as a possible destination for Young or Cutler because Ted Thompson trusts his talent evaluation and is willing to go BPA. Curiously, they don't seem as interested in Leinart.

- White's pro day caused one league source to recommend that his team take White out of the mix for their first round pick after being someone they were considering. Another said this is basically more of the same from the lazy, immature White.

- Scouts were not impressed with Leinart's pro day and possibly irked by his decision to not run the 40. Draft boards vary on his ranking at QB, with a few teams having Young or Cutler ahead of him, and one having both ahead of him.
This is news to me. I had read that he looked great in his workouts. His stock was kept down because of the injury but had since recovered. His stock, given his position, seemed really on the move up.

link

Rumors in a nutshell:

I remember arguing in a thread 2 months ago that I wouldnt draft White because of character concerns. Ive only become more sure of that. He acted like a punk at USC, and seems to be keeping in fine tradition with that.

link

Rumors in a nutshell:

This is news to me. I had read that he looked great in his workouts. His stock was kept down because of the injury but had since recovered. His stock, given his position, seemed really on the move up.
He did look great. Many of us completely rehabilitated his stock to slightly below where it would have been if the injury had never happened. However, according to Rang's sources, it has been flagged as a potential long term problem. I feel really bad for Allen if it is true, because the kid obviously worked his butt off getting ready for the pre-draft season. Some thought he would only go late in the draft, if at all, after the injury, and did not expect him to be able to work out before the draft. Im certainly rooting for him and hope the steelers take him at 32 red flag or no red flag.

I heard L.White is an ESPN Radio interview on Saturday and I was totally blown away (in a bad way). The very first question he was asked was about his combine/pro days and whether he felt he'd helped himself out. In my mind, it was classic ESPN radio to toss him an absolute softball question to set him up for whatever pre-packaged explanation he might have for his lack of participation. Instead of saying that he didn't perform much due to an injury, this guy went on a 2 minute rambling and practically incoherent "Yeah, I think I showed poeple at the Combine and at the pro day that I'm a first round pick and I think I solidified that by doing all the running and jumping..." on and on, basically saying 4 different times that he performed just as expected and solidified his standing. I mean, it was so bad that one of the ESPN guys (who had probably expected White to admit he had hurt himself) finally jumped in and tossed a 2nd softball saying "And hey LenDale, regardless of what happened at the combine or your pro day, all people need to know is what's on your game films, right?" Wow.

He didn't sound very bright.

I heard L.White is an ESPN Radio interview on Saturday and I was totally blown away (in a bad way). The very first question he was asked was about his combine/pro days and whether he felt he'd helped himself out. In my mind, it was classic ESPN radio to toss him an absolute softball question to set him up for whatever pre-packaged explanation he might have for his lack of participation. Instead of saying that he didn't perform much due to an injury, this guy went on a 2 minute rambling and practically incoherent "Yeah, I think I showed poeple at the Combine and at the pro day that I'm a first round pick and I think I solidified that by doing all the running and jumping..." on and on, basically saying 4 different times that he performed just as expected and solidified his standing. I mean, it was so bad that one of the ESPN guys (who had probably expected White to admit he had hurt himself) finally jumped in and tossed a 2nd softball saying "And hey LenDale, regardless of what happened at the combine or your pro day, all people need to know is what's on your game films, right?" Wow.

:eek: Didn't hear that but I'm also not surprised any of it happened. :trend:

Not that the two equate at all, but didn't they say the same thing about Vilma before the draft 2 years ago?
So, I'm not crazy? Huh, how 'bout that? ;)

Not that the two equate at all, but didn't they say the same thing about Vilma before the draft 2 years ago?
Well, at least not according to Rob Rang at NFL Draft Scout.com

link

Rumors in a nutshell:

Would the same thinking apply to Aaron Rodgers? If so, then a QB would be redundant. If not, then I would say that he ought to re-evaluate his philosophy.

link

Rumors in a nutshell:

He did look great. Many of us completely rehabilitated his stock to slightly below where it would have been if the injury had never happened. However, according to Rang's sources, it has been flagged as a potential long term problem. I feel really bad for Allen if it is true, because the kid obviously worked his butt off getting ready for the pre-draft season. Some thought he would only go late in the draft, if at all, after the injury, and did not expect him to be able to work out before the draft. Im certainly rooting for him and hope the steelers take him at 32 red flag or no red flag.
so then his stock drops and he becomes a great value for the team that gets him? he won't get a ton of money and his contract becomes more conditional. he plays healthy now. maybe by the time he's 30 he's out of the game.

Heard earlier that White is going to be on The Afternoon Blitz on Sirius tomorrow. They said the first question they are going to ask "What are you thinking man?!"

Heard earlier that White is going to be on The Afternoon Blitz on Sirius tomorrow. They said the first question they are going to ask "What are you thinking man?!"
if someone catches this please post an updatethanks in advance!

:lmao: Scouts kill me. I wonder if they would have been equally irked had they asked Reggie Bush to kick a field goal, only to see him refuse to do so.

I'm beginning to wonder if LenDale White's immaturity is actually a more serious psychological problem. The denial described above could be someone too immature to own up to reality, but it could also point to an imbalance. More draft rumors floating around.

Scouts were not impressed with Leinart's pro day and possibly irked by his decision to not run the 40. Draft boards vary on his ranking at QB, with a few teams having Young or Cutler ahead of him, and one having both ahead of him.
Adam Shefter (I know) of the NFL Network is claiming that one of the "few" teams down on Leinart is none other than the Titans, who have Young higher.Drew Henson went to NFL Europe knowing Dallas might draft a young QB and cut him. He's tearing it up and may finally live up to the hype.Wesley Duke is disappointing. Struggling to produce. Dropping balls. Not much for blocking. Doesn't like contact. The five players invited to attend the festivities at the draft are...LeinartBushYoung FergusonMWilliamsIt's never their intention to embarrass someone, but if some of you are right this could be an interesting experience for Young. Hawk was invited, but he'd rather be chillin' with his girl than dealing with the media.Chris Landry is reporting (radio, sorry) some possible maneuvering from teams between 24-30. The target for three different teams-- Gabe Watson.A player Bloom and I love, Brandon Marshall, has recently heard (from his agent) a couple teams are interested in him as early as the second round. It isn't being reported anywhere but he ran a 4.45 at 225 pounds at his pro day. He dropped four pounds from the combine and posted a very good time for such a big receiver. He is convincing scouts that he's very willing to work extremely hard to make it. Ahmad Brooks intends to enter the supplemental draft. He's gained weight and may be passed by several teams. Even those bidding may not be willing to part with a first day pick for him. Interesting. So much promise a couple years ago, and...

These two things are not mutually exclusive. :P

:lmao: Scouts kill me. I wonder if they would have been equally irked had they asked Reggie Bush to kick a field goal, only to see him refuse to do so.
I hope you arent one of those people who rip on Drew Bledsoe for being a statue in the pocket.

I hope you arent one of those people who rip on Drew Bledsoe for being a statue in the pocket.
No. I have no qualms with a quarterback in terms of his speed as long as he has good pocket presence. I am often critical of Daunte Culpepper and his pocket presence despite his great speed.Edited - I don't think a 40-time has ever aloud a quarterback to escape a crashing pocket. a 10-yard dash or maybe a 10-yard shuttle run would be more indicative of this attribute. But I have I never seen a quarterback drop back 20, 30 or 40 yards and then need a good 40 time to get back to the line of scrimmage.

Vince Young and Mike Vick are a different story, they bring other playmaking ability to the field.

No. I have no qualms with a quarterback in terms of his speed as long as he has good pocket presence. I am often critical of Daunte Culpepper and his pocket presence despite his great speed.Edited - I don't think a 40-time has ever aloud a quarterback to escape a crashing pocket. a 10-yard dash or maybe a 10-yard shuttle run would be more indicative of this attribute. But I have I never seen a quarterback drop back 20, 30 or 40 yards and then need a good 40 time to get back to the line of scrimmage.

Vince Young and Mike Vick are a different story, they bring other playmaking ability to the field.
While I agree, its a great measure of overall athletic ability. While it may not provide the clearest picture of what Leinart can do, I sure would want to know if he runs a 4.8 or a 5.2

As important as the ultimate 40 yard time to many scouts are the 10 and 20 yard splits. NFL Draft Countdown breaks down 40s accordingly. Likewise, the cone and shuttle are nice measures of a QBs ability to avoid pressure. It was a bit arrogant of Leinart not to run.

It was arrogant of Leinert not to run? You want to see him running? Go look at 3 years worth of game tape. How many times have concensus #1 QBs run? And why should he run? His only theoretical competition is from Vince Young, and the best way to make Young look good compared to Leinert is to have Leinert run, and then get to put the numbers up side by side.

It was arrogant of Leinert not to run? You want to see him running? Go look at 3 years worth of game tape. How many times have concensus #1 QBs run? And why should he run? His only theoretical competition is from Vince Young, and the best way to make Young look good compared to Leinert is to have Leinert run, and then get to put the numbers up side by side.
Yes. Arrogant. Even your suggestion, "Go look at the tape, if you want to see him run" sounds arrogant. Just going back five years every top rated QB has run.Vick ran.

Carr and Harrington ran

Palmer ran.

Eli ran.

Smith ran.

They got 40 times on all of them. The fast ones, the slow ones, all of them. Not Leinart though.

Why should he run? Because a future employer who he's going to ask to pony up 10s of millions wants to see him run. He doesn't have to run. He can be arrogant and tell that prospective employer "No, I'm not a runner anyway." If that isn't arrogant, what is it? They wanted him to run. They were disappointed he didn't. It was his decision.

You're right about the tape being more important, but they can't superimpose one player into another players film, so they like to get the best comparisons they can. They make them run the same drills and measure the results. It didn't hurt Eli to run 4.9. It didn't hurt Rivers or Carr to run slower than expected. But they did respectfully answer questions prospective employers were asking. Some think Matt runs 4.8, faster than all three of those guys. Some think he runs 5.1, slower than all three. Nobody knows because he won't run. He's not willing to answer questions for prospective employers he expects to pay him millions. Arrogant? Seems so. Maybe he's just protecting his paycheck. But then that would be deceiving, worse than arrogant.

During his media interview at the Combine, he smirked and downplayed the event as something not thorough enough to truly evaluate someone. He promoted his Pro Day as something better. It would be superior than him working out in Indy. He was going to show off his arm strength and mobility. He was going to answer all the questions. He didn't, by his own decision.

:shrug:

Can we take some pot-shots at the scouts for their arrogance in assuming a 40-time is indicative to a college quarterbacks potential success?

What is up with these guys, it's unreal how arrogant they are at times.

Can we take some pot-shots at the scouts for their arrogance in assuming a 40-time is indicative to a college quarterbacks potential success?

Sure, but they're the HR guys and they can interview prospects however they want. If this is one of their standards then those who want to work in the industry should comply.

Sure, but they're the HR guys and they can interview prospects however they want. If this is one of their standards then those who want to work in the industry company should comply.
So you would have no problem with Lienart only running the 40 for certain teams he wished to work for?

Sure, but they're the HR guys and they can interview prospects however they want. If this is one of their standards then those who want to work in the industry company should comply.
So you would have no problem with Lienart only running the 40 for certain teams he wished to work for?
That would be fine. Like LenDale, I'd just like to see his time reported. Out of curiousity in Leinart's case, and a little more urgently with White.

That would be fine. Like LenDale, I'd just like to see his time reported. Out of curiousity in Leinart's case, and a little more urgently with White.
So if Lienart came out and said, "My 40 time is this X.XX", you would then be content?

So if Lienart came out and said, "My 40 time is this X.XX", you would then be content?
:lmao: No, I want him to be clocked.

Many around here would ask for a :link:

Interesting that Leinart fired agent Leigh Steinberg. I wonder of the not running aspect had something to do with it? Winston Justice recently dumped Steinberg too, I heard.

Anyway, I agree it's strange for Leinart not to have run. Watching him play makes him look like he's not that slow and even if his 40 time was awful, teams that liked him in other aspects would write it off as Peyton-like. Poor decision not to run. Maybe Steinberg told him not to run and now he looks bad and he canned him?

White's stock deserves to plummet, although all too often a team won't care about immaturity and the like and will risk a high pick on White. I bet he still gets drafted in the first round.

I'm beginning to wonder if LenDale White's immaturity is actually a more serious psychological problem. The denial described above could be someone too immature to own up to reality, but it could also point to an imbalance.

More draft rumors floating around.

Scouts were not impressed with Leinart's pro day and possibly irked by his decision to not run the 40. Draft boards vary on his ranking at QB, with a few teams having Young or Cutler ahead of him, and one having both ahead of him.
Adam Shefter (I know) of the NFL Network is claiming that one of the "few" teams down on Leinart is none other than the Titans, who have Young higher.Drew Henson went to NFL Europe knowing Dallas might draft a young QB and cut him. He's tearing it up and may finally live up to the hype.

Wesley Duke is disappointing. Struggling to produce. Dropping balls. Not much for blocking. Doesn't like contact.

The five players invited to attend the festivities at the draft are...

Leinart

Bush

Young

Ferguson

MWilliams

It's never their intention to embarrass someone, but if some of you are right this could be an interesting experience for Young. Hawk was invited, but he'd rather be chillin' with his girl than dealing with the media.

Chris Landry is reporting (radio, sorry) some possible maneuvering from teams between 24-30. The target for three different teams-- Gabe Watson.

A player Bloom and I love, Brandon Marshall, has recently heard (from his agent) a couple teams are interested in him as early as the second round. It isn't being reported anywhere but he ran a 4.45 at 225 pounds at his pro day. He dropped four pounds from the combine and posted a very good time for such a big receiver. He is convincing scouts that he's very willing to work extremely hard to make it.

Ahmad Brooks intends to enter the supplemental draft. He's gained weight and may be passed by several teams. Even those bidding may not be willing to part with a first day pick for him. Interesting. So much promise a couple years ago, and...
I'm with you on Brandon Marshall. I didn't understand why he was still ranked so low after his Hula Bowl and Shrine game perofrmances. Even after his outstanding combine, he failed to rise up on the boards the way I expected. I figured he was my easy pre-draft SOD.... but it seems at least some teams are not asleep at the switch on this kid.

if someone catches this please post an updatethanks in advance!
Caught a poriton of White on Sirius.To paraphrase:

- He knows his stock has dropped and blames no one but himself. Plans to have a private workout before the draft to put rumors to rest. (What you expect to hear)

- Adam Shine asked about Denver and if he had spoken with Shanny. Said he has pretty much talked to all NFL teams and nothing about Denver stood out from the other interviews.

- Had dinner with John Fox and other members of CAR staff night before USC workouts. He told them his hammy was bothering him and they said he should not run because there is no reason to miss a team's future mini-camp rehabbing an injury because of one 40 yard dash.

Users who are viewing this thread