What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lawrence Timmons 2012 (1 Viewer)

Texans1982

Footballguy
Projections on Lawrence Timmons please! Thoughts on if he will return to 2010s form with 135 tackles, or continue last years disappointing 93 tackles...

Timmons moved to the outside when various injuries hit which hurt his production. A victim of his own versatility I read recently. He will bounce back this year unless he spends significant time outside again.

I'm a little skeptical of Timmons' ability to get off blocks
Timmons isn't world class at getting off blocks, but he's adequate. Certainly he could improve. In LeBeau's system that isn't what he's asked to do that often though. He plays the Mack. The Buck position is asked to take on blockers far more frequently. The Mack in LeBeau's fire zone is more of a "chase and tackle" position. It's also the one more responsible for dropping into coverage. That's always where he's put the crazy athletic interior guys(Chad Brown, a younger Farrior, et al). I assume Timmons will be moved to the Buck at some point as age catches up, but he probably has a few years before he has to worry about it too much.
...something he will have to improve upon without Casey Hampton at the nose
True, but it should be also probably be noted that the Steelers did just draft an enormous NT prospect and Hampton's incumbent backup/current starter has added a bunch of weight(and reportedly has looked fantastic in camp. He looked really good in the first PS game).Timmons' struggles last year were almost entirely predicated on injuries to the Steelers' LB corps. He was moved around and was able to be zeroed in on more than in the past too, since for large portions of the year the Steelers were without Harrison/Woodley. Farrior's play nosediving didn't help either.At any rate, I dunno if I'd be expecting 135 tackles out of him again, but if he plays the entire year inside wouldn't be shocked to see 110+ total with his big plays ramping back up to previous levels. If injuries among the LBs happen again and he gets moved around? A repeat of last year would probably be likely.

Timmons will be fine, I think he will be a top 15 LB again. Look at his numbers from week 10 to 17 (In my league his average points per week put him at #12), Harrison came back in week 9, Timmons was out of position much of the year.

What's the latest on Harrison, when is he expected back?
Steelers SS Troy Polamalu (calf) and OLB James Harrison (knee) have resumed practicing during the bye week. Polamalu is expected to play versus the Eagles in Week 5, but the Steelers want to see how Harrison's knee responds to practice before gauging his availability. Harrison is "day to day" at this point. Sep 25 - 1:21 PM

watching All-22 for every Steelers game, and I'll tell you what, Timmons looked absolutely horrible. He looks 15-20 lbs overweight and moves like it as well.

watching All-22 for every Steelers game, and I'll tell you what, Timmons looked absolutely horrible. He looks 15-20 lbs overweight and moves like it as well.
Agreed. I was more optimistic after game 1, but he looks fat and slow right now. Can't shed blocks and can't pursue. This guy is a disappointment.

At the snap on running plays, most times Timmons appears to plow straight ahead somewhere into the line, no rhyme or reason to it, he doesn't seem to care where the runner is, is this his job just to fill gaps or occupy blockers or something because he certainly isn't focusing on tackling the ball carrier. Probably gonna drop him, something is wrong.

At the snap on running plays, most times Timmons appears to plow straight ahead somewhere into the line, no rhyme or reason to it, he doesn't seem to care where the runner is, is this his job just to fill gaps or occupy blockers or something because he certainly isn't focusing on tackling the ball carrier. Probably gonna drop him, something is wrong.
no, he just has no semblance of instincts, and since Casey Hampton, Aaron Smith, and James Farrior aren't around to keep his jersey clean and tell him what to do, he's lost.

He got paid so doesn't care anymore. Got fat & lazy.
Chris Johnson-itis. Hopefully Harrison coming back, helps bring him back to LB2 maybe, or he snaps out of it. But he looked embarrassing in the Denver game. Didn't look aggressive. That's okay, only own him in 4 leagues. :(

Hopefully Harrison coming back, helps bring him back to LB2 maybe,
Harrison may not be coming back, folks. From Bouchette yesterday:
LB James Harrison left #steelers facility in street clothes before practice. Not a good sign — Ed Bouchette (@EdBouchette) September 26, 2012
"Insiders" are opining that means that his knee probably didn't respond well at all to practice on Tuesday(reasonable assumption) and he may well have experienced a setback(also not a crazy assumption).There is also rampant speculation about microfracture being in his future too boot(all conjecture at this point). If there is any veracity to any of that though, at 35 he'll be toast.

Last edited by a moderator:
Timmons will be fine, I think he will be a top 15 LB again. Look at his numbers from week 10 to 17 (In my league his average points per week put him at #12), Harrison came back in week 9, Timmons was out of position much of the year.
:goodposting: Is this allowed? J/K :-)But I did mention this... Timmons is a good FF lb'er.

Re-watched the game earlier. Harrison, indeed, does seem to be the difference maker...and I can't be more happy as a Steeler fan to be wrong about thinking he may never play again.

Seems that Timmons was unleashed to attack the ball waaaaaay more this week. That's what he's great at and that's what made him godlike a couple years back. He isn't a "diagnose first" player. He is an "attack/react to the play on the way to the ball" player. They let him do that more this week. Hopefully it continues.

Users who are viewing this thread