What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LB Tiers 2013 / Version 3.0 Updated May 9 (1 Viewer)

With a 4 to 1 sack to tackle ratio I would have thought this guy would be ranked somewhere since he had six sacks last year in limited playing time.

He was a first round pick and I think he's up for more PT this year.

My link

Whitney Mercilus

#59 LB

6' 4", 257 lbs

Houston Texans

Birth DateJuly 21, 1990 (Age: 22)

Not even a dynasty stash mention?
From ProFootball Focus:Notes: With Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin already returning at outside linebacker, Mercilus had the luxury of easing into the lineup this season. He saw spot duty before picking up four starts in the second half of the year. Like Reed and Barwin, Mercilus was unable to consistently provide pressure off the edge, so dont be fooled by his six sacks. He picked up only 21 pressures on 310 pass rushes, good for a pass rush grade of -13.7 and Pass Rushing Productivity of 6.0 (26th out of 32 qualifying 3-4 outside linebackers).
Maybe, maybe not.My link

>... Outside linebacker Brooks Reed could potentially move inside, according to Texans coach Gary Kubiak at the NFL Scouting Combine.

I think we have to continue to look that way, Kubiak said in response to a question about Reed possibly making the switch. Hes very capable of being a stack player playing inside in our 3-4. Yes, that could happen.

... One of the Texans strongest players, Reed was a defensive end in college after arriving at Arizona as an H-back. His only inside linebacker experience since high school consists of a scant number of reps late last season as the Texans dealt with an avalanche of injuries at the position.

NFL analyst Adam Caplan of Sirius/XM Radio said at the Combine that Reeds motor and the fact that he was successful early in his career are positive signs for his ability to handle a full-time switch.

... notable example is former New England Patriots linebacker Tedy Bruschi. Like Reed, Bruschi played defensive end at the University of Arizona (1992-95), then started his NFL career as an outside linebacker. He was moved inside after five seasons and went on to become a two-time All-Pro and three-time Super Bowl winner.

It could work, Caplan said. ...

Brian Cushing, Darryl Sharpton and reserve/future signing Mike Mohamed are the only inside linebackers under contract with the Texans for 2013. Veterans Bradie James, Tim Dobbins and Barrett Ruud are all impending free agents. And Cushing (knee) and Sharpton (hip) are both coming off season-ending injuries, although Sharpton declared himself 100 percent healthy earlier this week.

If the Texans re-sign Connor Barwin, whos in line become an unrestricted free agent, they would have three starting-caliber outside linebackers in Barwin, Reed and 2012 first-round pick Whitney Mercilus, who had 6.0 sacks as a rookie. Moving Reed inside, if it works, could alleviate a logjam at one position while addressing a glaring deficiency at another.

Youve always got to have some versatility with one player or two players in various situations when you come across like what we did last year, Kubiak said. Depending on what happens with our football team moving forward right now with Connor and some other things, I think Brooks will always give us some flexibility.
The Texans have used high picks on, Cushing (first round pick), Reed (second round pick, and Mercilus (first round pick).Mercilus had six sacks in limited action last year, Reed had two in twelve games when he was heavily used.

They like Reed at SAM but they have a pass rushing first round draft pick in Whitney who they can keep on the bench or they can move Reed inside where they might have a need if they allow one of their free agent inside linebackers walk which is a high probability unless they want to throw money at them and sit Whitney.

Then factor in the injuries suffered to the inside linebackes in addition to the highly-likely free agent departure and the idea of moving Reed inside, where he has the strength and ability, makes sense.

Bottom line, Whitney was a first round pick who flashed pass rush skill. The Texans can allow him to be a situational player or keep him and Reed and Cushing on the field where they can keep their best players on the field as starters.

In any case I think Whitney will see more action this year and likely will find a way to land a starting job.
Talk of Reed being moved inside and of Whitney inheriting the starting weakside linebacker position so I would think he 'should' get a bump since he is slated to be a starter.

http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans/2013/04/kubiak-not-so-fast-to-move-reed-inside/

Second-year pro Whitney Mercilus, the team’s top pick in 2012, will be inheriting the weak-side job vacated by Barwin, now a Philadelphia Eagle.

Jene,

What are your thoughts on Dansby now that he landed in Arizona? Will he be able to hold off Minter when Washington is back?

Jene, What's your take on the relative values of Bradham and Alonso given that the latter is lining up as SILB in mini-camp?

Jene, What are your thoughts on Dansby now that he landed in Arizona? Will he be able to hold off Minter when Washington is back?
Very crowded situation now. It's possible that Arizona knows that the other shoe is about to drop with Washington. But it may also be an indication of what they think of Lorenzo Alexander and gives them time to ease Kevin Minter into his eventual larger role. Think we'll see Dansby and Minter both see time next to Washington when his suspension ends.

Jene, What's your take on the relative values of Bradham and Alonso given that the latter is lining up as SILB in mini-camp?
Liking Bradham more and more. We shouldn't get too worked up about the mini-camp alignment, though. Think of this as a stacked ILB alignment -- like a Willis / Bowman -- more so than a Eagle where the SLB is on the line of scrimmage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Version 3.0 w/ commentary (also available from articles tab at home page)
Great read. I'm wondering if Kuechly carries a decent amount of "production risk" due to Beason's return? Enough at least to challenge what seems the conventional thinking that he is the presumptive #1 LB on the board in redraft.

With Kuechly (MLB), Davis (WLB) and a healthy Beason (SLB) this is looking like one of the strongest LB contingents in the league and could be difficult for Kuechly to repeat the gaudy stats of late last year when Beason was out. Or many of his solos could turn into assists the way the CAR scorekeepers operate.

We could see a similar situation to Patrick Willis and his slight production decline from Elite to LB1 when Bowman came on the scene a couple years ago. Many people overdrafted Willis by a few rounds in 2011 based on 2010 production.

Great read. I'm wondering if Kuechly carries a decent amount of "production risk" due to Beason's return? Enough at least to challenge what seems the conventional thinking that he is the presumptive #1 LB on the board in redraft.

With Kuechly (MLB), Davis (WLB) and a healthy Beason (SLB) this is looking like one of the strongest LB contingents in the league and could be difficult for Kuechly to repeat the gaudy stats of late last year when Beason was out. Or many of his solos could turn into assists the way the CAR scorekeepers operate.

We could see a similar situation to Patrick Willis and his slight production decline from Elite to LB1 when Bowman came on the scene a couple years ago. Many people overdrafted Willis by a few rounds in 2011 based on 2010 production.
it's my understanding that beason has first crack at the wlb job now.

it's my understanding that beason has first crack at the wlb job now.
Thanks. You are right. When Anderson was released some sources speculated otherwise but Beason himself now saying he will be WLB.

Alec Ogletree may be SLB, not WLB...looks like the Rams are converting Ray Ray Armstrong to linebacker and looking at him on the weakside.

http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/05/10/rams-get-rookie-minicamp-underway/
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000169316/article/2013-nfl-draft-fallout-st-louis-rams

Granted it's from May 13 but it states Ogletree as ILB.

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Where does Ogletree fit on the Rams and does anyone have news from the minicamp/otas?

What about Te'o?

And Daryl Smith now that he has a job...

msommer said:
Alec Ogletree may be SLB, not WLB...looks like the Rams are converting Ray Ray Armstrong to linebacker and looking at him on the weakside.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000169316/article/2013-nfl-draft-fallout-st-louis-rams

Now I'm thoroughly confused. Where does Ogletree fit on the Rams and does anyone have news from the minicamp/otas?

What about Te'o?

Ogletree will be playing the stongside this year.

msommer said:

What about Te'o?

There was a report last week that Jeff Fisher was going back to his preferred LOLB/ROLB alignment and planning to use Ogletree at LOLB. Ogletree's upside is dependent on his range winning over Laurinaitis' instincts and how quickly he wins a subpackage role.

Sounds unlikely (for now) that Te'o plays in subpackages. He may not be an every-week fantasy option until 2014.

I'm not pushing Daryl Smith into a draftable tier until he shows he's over his groin issues. He'd been very good in Jacksonville, compares favorably to what KJ Wright did for Gus Bradley in Seattle and the Jacksonville depth chart is thinner than the Olsen twins. But they made no effort to sign him. The Ravens signed Rolando McClain as their bring a vet to camp choice while Smith was available. If Smith is healthy, Ozzie got a steal. Seems like it's a big if.

according to Carolina coaches, Beason is projecting as their WLB. thank you! i needed one of my longshots to pay off.

#goodsonhernandezowner

Hey Jene, when might we expect to see the next updated LB tiers? Reflecting situations such as Bishop to MIN, which opens the door wide open for Jones in GB, Beason to WLB, etc.

Hey Jene, when might we expect to see the next updated LB tiers? Reflecting situations such as Bishop to MIN, which opens the door wide open for Jones in GB, Beason to WLB, etc.
We're doing things a little differently with our new content management system. I'm updating the tier articles frequently but they may not be called out on the front page. It's not likely that I'll include an [Last Updated XXX] date since it's assumed that the magazine content -- of which the tier articles are included -- are continually updated, but assume that each tier article is updated weekly until camps begin and then daily thereafter.

For reference, I updated all three tier articles today.

Jene, let's pretend I'm feeling old right now, but am a subscriber who doesn't have an iPad. Where do I find your updated tiers?

We're doing things a little differently with our new content management system. I'm updating the tier articles frequently but they may not be called out on the front page. It's not likely that I'll include an [Last Updated XXX] date since it's assumed that the magazine content -- of which the tier articles are included -- are continually updated, but assume that each tier article is updated weekly until camps begin and then daily thereafter.

Excellent stiff arm. Guess if I want it I gotta pay for it now...

Excellent stiff arm. Guess if I want it I gotta pay for it now...
My apologies. My reply wasn't very clear.

The tiers are also part of the site content. That's free until mid-July as always. The Version 3.0 link in the first post of each tier thread will always link to the most recent version of the article. Unless there's a major change, however, updates probably won't get called out in the daily email or prominently displayed on the front page.

Here's the LB link (updated today -- we're still deciding how to handle date changes for major and minor updates of the same feature).

The easiest way to find those articles if you're not on the forum threads is to search the main site for my name. That'll take you to my author page, where all of my features are listed.

No Terrell Suggs on the latest update? Is that an oversight?
Bah. I wrote a duplicate feature for our magazine which combined the three articles into one long feature. We ended up scrapping it and looks like I made more than one cut and paste error. Both Suggs and Dumervil should be in the top half of the matchup rush LB tier.

Thanks for posting. If you see any other potential issues, please let me know. I'll go through them at the next update and make sure they dovetail with my rankings and I've caught all the errors.

Jene-Can you or maybe someone else explain to me why Suggs is ranked so low? I know he was injured last year. But before that he was a beast. Did he change positions? If so, from what to what? Did the defense change?

Jene-Can you or maybe someone else explain to me why Suggs is ranked so low? I know he was injured last year. But before that he was a beast. Did he change positions? If so, from what to what? Did the defense change?
Suggs wasn't fully himself after the Achilles injury last year. But the change to LB is the real issue. To crack the Rush LB2 tier, I generally have to be convinced that there's a reasonable expectation of a 50 solo - 10 sack season (or 40-14, etc.). I'm not there yet with Suggs. If he looks explosive in the preseason, I'll be willing to draft him there. If you're in a scoring system that heavily weights sacks, Suggs is a better risk. My tiers are based on a balanced scoring system.

Any reason to expect Suggs to go back to DE?

AFAIK nothing has changed with his position or scheme right?

after a non-biased judge ruled he was a DE during his franchise tag arbitration i wouldn't of thought we had to worry about this anymore

now whether that judge was right or worng who knows but WHAT changed this offseason to cause this shift in position

just seems some random guy at Rotoworld decided to change that (isnt that what MFL goes by?)

and just being frank, this is i think the MAIN issue of why it is hard for IDP to catch on, at least in a dynasty sense because it changes too rapidly for you to build around players on the IDP side other than the top of the elite

everything is so random and even when you get it figured out they'll change coaches and they'll take a team loaded with 4-3 personnel and say hey we are switching to 3-4 or vice versa

or another way of putting it is what is the difference between Ware's situation and Suggs'

nevermind about the Ware comparison, i forgot the hiring of Kiffin in Dallas

again a team loaded with 3-4 personnel hiring a 4-3 guy

I even read one article asking the question whether Ware can hold up in this new scheme?

so you take your BEST defender and put him in a situation where you don't know if it is best for him LOL

so just add him to the list of the elite NFL production turned mediocre MWilliams, Freeney, Kampman, etc...?

well sorry to get off topic i rolled the Suggs LB discussion into a mini-rant on position changes

shoulda kept this thread to LB

my bad

I even read one article asking the question whether Ware can hold up in this new scheme?

so you take your BEST defender and put him in a situation where you don't know if it is best for him LOL

so just add him to the list of the elite NFL production turned mediocre MWilliams, Freeney, Kampman, etc...?
It always feels like there are some low-hanging fruit that teams are missing every offseason. Shouldn't Dallas and Buffalo be swapping Ware for Mario Williams? It seems like every season, some teams switch to a 3-4 and ask stud DEs to play out of position, usually ineffectively. Meanwhile, another team switches to a 4-3 and asks an undersized rush OLB to play DE. Seems pretty obvious that they should be talking to each other.

It always feels like there are some low-hanging fruit that teams are missing every offseason. Shouldn't Dallas and Buffalo be swapping Ware for Mario Williams? It seems like every season, some teams switch to a 3-4 and ask stud DEs to play out of position, usually ineffectively. Meanwhile, another team switches to a 4-3 and asks an undersized rush OLB to play DE. Seems pretty obvious that they should be talking to each other.
Salaries make that hard to accomplish

Kind of expected to see Craig Robertson somewhere on there. He is the favorite to start inside with D'Qwell in Cleveland. Last year as a rookie he had 93 tackles while only playing 52% of snaps. I know he is undersized for an inside backer at just 229 lbs but he excels in coverage. Figured he at least has a shot at 3 downs in Cleveland, but with all of the bad reports surrounding James Michael-Johnson, I find it very likely that Robertson sees the field quite a bit and makes an impact either way.

Any reason to expect Suggs to go back to DE?
This was always a close call. It's possible that Suggs (and Dumervil) get re-classified again if things look different in the preseason. But there's a lot of inertia here and we'll have to see them play with their hand down a lot on base downs for a change to occur.

Kind of expected to see Craig Robertson somewhere on there. He is the favorite to start inside with D'Qwell in Cleveland. Last year as a rookie he had 93 tackles while only playing 52% of snaps. I know he is undersized for an inside backer at just 229 lbs but he excels in coverage. Figured he at least has a shot at 3 downs in Cleveland, but with all of the bad reports surrounding James Michael-Johnson, I find it very likely that Robertson sees the field quite a bit and makes an impact either way.
This is a good point. I'm not a big fan of Robertson against the run and I don't think he was very good in coverage later in the season. But the depth chart is ugly if JMJ is indeed out of the picture. There's every-down potential and matchup value there for sure. Wouldn't invest much as he's unlikely a long term answer, though.

Saw Mercilus addition.

Here is a recent story that feels he will make a leap this year which supports your ranking.

For anyone interested go to the link for the full read where the story has a video of Mercilus in action.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap1000000217130/article/making-the-leap-no-25-texans-lb-whitney-mercilus?campaign=Twitter_atl

Making the Leap, No. 25: Texans OLB Whitney Mercilus

By Dan Hanzus

• Around the League Writer
  • Published: July 10, 2013 at 03:59 p.m.
  • Updated: July 10, 2013 at 08:11 p.m
Why Mercilus is on the list
The Texans selected Mercilus in the first round of the 2012 draft with the hope he eventually could replace Mario Williams as the team's dominant pass-rushing outside linebacker. Mercilus slowly was brought along during his rookie season, but he made impact plays when given the opportunity....

This is a good point. I'm not a big fan of Robertson against the run and I don't think he was very good in coverage later in the season. But the depth chart is ugly if JMJ is indeed out of the picture. There's every-down potential and matchup value there for sure. Wouldn't invest much as he's unlikely a long term answer, though.
Not much information on Cleveland 3-4 MLB Craig Robertson but a story ran on him today and figured I'd pass it along.

http://www.cleveland.com/browns/index.ssf/2013/07/cleveland_browns_and_nfl_pm_li_8.html

CLEVELAND, Ohio -- This upcoming season, the Browns could have as many as three undrafted free agents starting on defense. Along with Desmond Bryant at defensive end and either Tashaun Gipson or Johnson Bademosi at free safety, Craig Robertson will be vying for the starting inside linebacker position alongside stalwart D’Qwell Jackson.

Robertson emerged during the Browns’ minicamps in June as the favorite to win the job. He will still have competition during training camp in the form of fellow linebackers James-Michael Johnson and Tank Carder. Johnson, a fourth round pick in last year’s NFL draft, showed promise in his rookie season but is reportedly having trouble learning defensive coordinator Ray Horton’s new 3-4 scheme.

Robertson has seized the opportunity to grab a starting spot, attempting to build on his strong rookie campaign last year. An undrafted free agent out of North Texas, Robertson earned a roster spot on last year’s team following an impressive performance in training camp. Despite being a tad undersized at 6’1’’ 230 lbs, Robertson won over the coaches and fans last year with his productivity. He played in all 16 games and ended the year second on the team in tackles to go along with one sack and two interceptions.

Even with Robertson’s strong statistics from last year, people remain skeptical as to whether he can be a capable starter in the Browns’ new 3-4 defense. Like Jabaal Sheard, Robertson will also have to switch positions due to Ray Horton’s scheme. Robertson will be playing on the inside in the 3-4 after playing all of last year at outside linebacker in former defensive coordinator **** Jauron’s 4-3.

Chris Pokorny of dawgsbynature.com took a look at Robertson’s prospects heading into this season.

Robertson will head into training camp as the favorite, having had a lot of nickel experience in 2012 as a rookie. He did well for a rookie and made some memorable plays, but he also missed 13 tackles, according to Pro Football Focus. His experience in coverage from last year should help his odds.

Originally recruited by North Texas to play safety, Robertson plays very well in coverage, able to play either man or zone effectively. Being undersized, the concern isn’t how he’ll play in coverage but how he’ll play against the run. Peter Smith of dawgpounddaily.com isn’t yet sold that he can play in the middle in a 3-4.

He [Robertson] could make big strides this year but he was on the ground far too much and would get run over by opponents. That poses a significant problem when he is playing inside and could be taking on a guard in the hole.

The Browns will need Robertson to be productive and stay healthy, as there isn’t much depth at his position. If he can prove that last year wasn’t a fluke, the Browns will sport a formidable duo in the middle this season in the form of Robertson and D’Qwell Jackson.

Dynasty StashJonas MoutonI've held on to that guy for 3 yrs now, I thought for sure he'd get his shot last yr with all the injuries but he still couldn't get on the field. Hes pretty much worthless
He's only been in the league for 2 years, did you draft him when he was in college?Mouton spent his rookie year (2011) on IR, so 2012 was basically his rookie year. Worthy of a "stash" on a LB needy team, IMO.
I think its over for him now

Dynasty StashJonas MoutonI've held on to that guy for 3 yrs now, I thought for sure he'd get his shot last yr with all the injuries but he still couldn't get on the field. Hes pretty much worthless
He's only been in the league for 2 years, did you draft him when he was in college?Mouton spent his rookie year (2011) on IR, so 2012 was basically his rookie year. Worthy of a "stash" on a LB needy team, IMO.
I think its over for him now
Yep. Had some talent, and definitely oppurtunity, but injuries did him in.

Jene, what are your thoughts on Demario Davis and Mychal Kendricks so far through training camp? Just looking for a little discussion on their chances at a 3 down 3-4 ILB role for them week 1. So far I'm liking what I'm reading in the news...

Jene, what are your thoughts on Demario Davis and Mychal Kendricks so far through training camp? Just looking for a little discussion on their chances at a 3 down 3-4 ILB role for them week 1. So far I'm liking what I'm reading in the news...
Haven't heard anything worrisome in camp. Have some detailed thoughts in the RTD columns linked in the warehouse (both the undervalued player and every-down LB features). Fully expect both to be playing every down opening weekend.

Haven't heard anything worrisome in camp. Have some detailed thoughts in the RTD columns linked in the warehouse (both the undervalued player and every-down LB features). Fully expect both to be playing every down opening weekend.
i have followed davis coverage as i have him in a league. the chatter about him has been very positive - smart, natural leader, etc - but it remains to be seen how that translates to production. it does help that he's likely 3-downs though.

Colin McCarthy listed as starter over Fokou on the depth chart now.

Daryl Smith listed as starter at Mike (3-4, strange denomination) - Arthur Brown third at Will after McClain and Bynes...

Suggs starter at Rush, SAM seems like joint Upshaw and Dumervil

Daryl Smith listed as starter at Mike (3-4, strange denomination) - Arthur Brown third at Will after McClain and Bynes...

i've heard that he's having a really great camp and guys like suggs have said he's looked awesome. he's a darkhorse in that ILB group.

Whats the deal on Spencer Paysinger? I don't see him in the rankings, he looks to be taking over for Boley, he started against Pittsburgh and looked pretty good to me, seemed to be all over the field and had 3 or 4 tackles in limited play time. Boley was always a pretty steady scorer and if he is taking that position, no reason he can't be as well.

i've heard that he's having a really great camp and guys like suggs have said he's looked awesome. he's a darkhorse in that ILB group.
Suggs himself looked really fast again the other nite. First off the ball.

Hey Jene, I am sure you have been busy watching games, was wondering what your take is on Paysinger? Also"IF" Paysinger does win the WLB battle in NY, how do you see him, tier wise? Week one, he looked really good and fast to me, week two, he seemed to be late to the tackle every time, but he has started both games, guess week three may be the deciding factor.

Also, it looks like Woodyard is sliding into the MLB spot and Trevathan is taking over his spot. What tier are you placing these guys in?

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread