What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

League Rules (1 Viewer)

junk17

Footballguy
Hi all...... I am a commish currently in a 5 year old 12 team redraft league and I was just wondering what some of the other league out there rule settings were like. I am contemplating making a few adjustments to the rules and scoring, so manly I wanted to see if people would be willing to leave a link or post their league rules for redrafts. One pronlem I am faced with every year is IR. Right now we have 2 IR spots allowed, but every year this gets abused with some owners trying to hold players. Anyways, the way the rule is written now is very grey and nothing real definite. Just would also like to know how other leagues handle IR, or if they just scrap it all together. Thanks for the help and opinions......

Our league scrapped IR years ago, just too many head aches. Our current rule reads "D. Hold-outs and/or injured players must remain on your roster or be returned to the

Free-Agent pool. "

I believe we added one roster spot at the time.

Our league scrapped IR years ago, just too many head aches. Our current rule reads "D. Hold-outs and/or injured players must remain on your roster or be returned to the

Free-Agent pool. "

Yeah.... thats what I exactly am thinking, just to scrap IR all together and add 1 roster spot. But did you find that to take away from the free agent pool, because essentially we would be adding 12 more players to teams on draft day? In our league alot of money is added to the pot through free agency. And did it seem that a team who is strong to begin with, doesnt get hit with injurys, can go out and grab someone that is good and was dropped and hold him for a month or two? Would that scenerio hurt the parity in the league or is it that much of a difference? Thanks for the reply......

We allow players on IR/PUP and non-football related injury to go on the list. The owner has to provide a link and the commish controls it.

I tried adding an I/R slot a few years ago, but became too much of a headache for me....

In response to the fear money will come out of the free agent pool, I included a rule that owners had to pay $1 for every week they had a player in the I/R spot...this is the same fee for adding/dropping players.

Just a thought...

Free-Agent pool. "

Yeah.... thats what I exactly am thinking, just to scrap IR all together and add 1 roster spot. But did you find that to take away from the free agent pool, because essentially we would be adding 12 more players to teams on draft day? In our league alot of money is added to the pot through free agency. And did it seem that a team who is strong to begin with, doesnt get hit with injurys, can go out and grab someone that is good and was dropped and hold him for a month or two? Would that scenerio hurt the parity in the league or is it that much of a difference? Thanks for the reply......
It has not affected our free agency aquisitions. We have small rosters to begin with (15 roster spots), and we have always used a first come first sereved system. Last year we had 238 player aquisitions (free agency and trades) in 14 weeks before the rosters were frozen for the playoffs.

We have had the same league for 14 years now, and we have 2 IR spots in a redraft. The condtion we set for IR is he has to be put on IR and be done for the year, as announced by the NFL. The NFL has to designate the player to be done for the year.

We also offer the team a no charge free agent pickup when the league designates the player done for the year.

We use IR like the NFL...if you place a player on IR he's out for the season...(and only contracted players are eligible for IR)...

If its used for stashing players for later in the season, you should just increase your roster size...

We have had the same league for 14 years now, and we have 2 IR spots in a redraft. The condtion we set for IR is he has to be put on IR and be done for the year, as announced by the NFL. The NFL has to designate the player to be done for the year.

We also offer the team a no charge free agent pickup when the league designates the player done for the year.
This is the way our league does it.

We draft coaches. Plus six for a win, minus six for a loss. Adds a neat twist and some extra draft analysis is required. Also, FBG.com doesn't handle this in the Dominator and most sites don't rank them so your on your own to figure out their value which I see as a benefit.

We draft coaches. Plus six for a win, minus six for a loss. Adds a neat twist and some extra draft analysis is required. Also, FBG.com doesn't handle this in the Dominator and most sites don't rank them so your on your own to figure out their value which I see as a benefit.
That's kinda cool.....I like the idea of throwing a coach into the mix....

Another nice twist to coaches is to give points based on the point differential in the NFL game. Then you have to not only decide who will win a lot, but who will win (or lose) by a larger margin. Though my leagues don't have negative points for losses, just positive points for wins.

Hi all...... I am a commish currently in a 5 year old 12 team redraft league and I was just wondering what some of the other league out there rule settings were like. I am contemplating making a few adjustments to the rules and scoring, so manly I wanted to see if people would be willing to leave a link or post their league rules for redrafts. One pronlem I am faced with every year is IR. Right now we have 2 IR spots allowed, but every year this gets abused with some owners trying to hold players. Anyways, the way the rule is written now is very grey and nothing real definite. Just would also like to know how other leagues handle IR, or if they just scrap it all together. Thanks for the help and opinions......
Get rid of IR. If you didnt draft well enough to cover byes and potential injuries then hit the waiver wire.

If you want to shake things up scoring wise...

I'm in a second-year league with many on these boards and we GREATLY enhanced TE scoring by making a tiered PPR system:

RBs: 0.5 PPR and 0.1 points per rec yd

WRs: 1 PPR and 0.1 pointes per rec yd

TEs: 1.5 PPR and .15 points per rec yd

This greatly increased the value of TEs. Gates was the #2 overall (IIRC) and the Top 6 TEs (Gates, Gonzo, Shockey, Crumpler, Witten, Cooley) all had years that put them on par with RBs and QBs.

It trickles down through the draft as well, Vernon Davis went #2 overall in the rookie draft. Lewis #13, Klopfenstein #23, Pope #32, Scheffler #33, and so on.

The league is TE mandatory and additional TEs can be used in a flex spot.

It's something that has shaken up the ho-hum of the VBD system. People are so used to RBs, then WRs, wait on QBs and pick a TE whenever. In the initial draft, everyone (14 teams) KNEW they wanted an elite TE, but no one was sure where the other owners were going to start placing the bets with high draft picks.

Very cool league.

If you want to shake things up scoring wise...

I'm in a second-year league with many on these boards and we GREATLY enhanced TE scoring by making a tiered PPR system:

RBs: 0.5 PPR and 0.1 points per rec yd

WRs: 1 PPR and 0.1 pointes per rec yd

TEs: 1.5 PPR and .15 points per rec yd

This greatly increased the value of TEs. Gates was the #2 overall (IIRC) and the Top 6 TEs (Gates, Gonzo, Shockey, Crumpler, Witten, Cooley) all had years that put them on par with RBs and QBs.

It trickles down through the draft as well, Vernon Davis went #2 overall in the rookie draft. Lewis #13, Klopfenstein #23, Pope #32, Scheffler #33, and so on.

The league is TE mandatory and additional TEs can be used in a flex spot.

It's something that has shaken up the ho-hum of the VBD system. People are so used to RBs, then WRs, wait on QBs and pick a TE whenever. In the initial draft, everyone (14 teams) KNEW they wanted an elite TE, but no one was sure where the other owners were going to start placing the bets with high draft picks.

Very cool league.
Here's a different way to change the typical priority of players.In addition to 1QB, 1K, 1Def, we use the following formations in our league:

1RB-4WR-1TE

2RB-2WR-2TE

2RB-3WR-1TE

3RB-2WR-1TE

3RB-1WR-2TE

The twist is that the home team gets to dictate the formatiion that will be used by both teams for that weeks' game.

Thus, a team loaded with RBs can be neutralized by a team with good WRs when it plays on the road.

2 top scoring TEs can also change the typical dynamics.

Teams need to be balanced and teams with strong WR's can outperform the RB stacked team.

I admit, IR can be tough to administer as a commish:

-some just get rid of IR altogether (but teams w/ hurt players suffer)

-some just add another roster spot (but teams just horde more players, less avail on FA list)

To me, both of those options wasn't what I wanted.

So for those that still want the IR spot , but don't want the IR headaches, here is what I do:

Our rosters are for 14 players + 1 IR spot available

The one IR roster spot is only available for those players that get injured & are listed as OUT on the weekly injury report or are declared Inactive by a team. (no questionables, or doubtfuls allowed on IR in my league).

But, once that player is placed on IR he can stay on IR until AFTER they actually play in a game. So, every Monday/Tuesday, I as commish, just scan the rosters and if I see an IR player that played during the wkend, I leave a msg for that owner he must make a decision to re-activate or drop the IR player.

For Example:

Charles Rogers gets injured during week 1 game. (thought I'd have fun w/ this example)

He is listed as OUT on the week 2 injury report.

That owner places C.Rogers on IR and picks up a FA before week 2.

Obviously, C.Rogers can't play for the Lions in Week 2.

Week 3 Injury report comes out and C.Rogers is listed as Questionable.

Owner can keep C.Rogers on his IR.

C.Rogers suits up and decides not to play in Week 3.........owner can keep C.Rogers on IR still.

Week 4 Injury report comes out and C.Rogers is again listed as Questionable.

Week 4 game.........this time, C.Rogers plays and catches 1 pass (play along)

The next day, that owner goes on notice to activate C.Rogers or let him be cut automatically.

(obviously, if that owner WANTED to activate him before Week 4's game, he could)

Simple, easy to understand, easy to administer (which is the most important as a commish).

No more game time decision problems when they are coming back from injury.

No more frustrated owners b/c the coach abuses the Injury Report (Mike Shanahan or Jeff Fisher or Bill Belicheck)

Last edited by a moderator:
I must say this a dozen times each year...

...start two QBs.
And 2 TEs. :thumbup: Edit to add: I take that back. I don't like 2 QBs required. I do however like 1 QB and 1 flex RB/QB. For most leagues, a fantasy team's backup QB will be better than their 3rd RB 90% of the time. But there aren't enough QBs to go around for everyone to have a backup, so allowing the 2nd QB to be a RB lets someone at worst plug in a 3rd down RB who will get a few points that week.

This will answer all your questions:This document is a contract; once the draft begins, all PFFL teams are bound to this set of rules for the duration of the 2006 season.

GENERAL RULES

1. No changes will be made to these Rules and Regulations for the duration of the 2006 PFFL season.

2. In the event of a question regarding any of these Rules and Regulations, the interpretation of these rules will be at the sole discretion of the League Commissioner.

LEAGUE FEES

3. League Fees are $100 per team. All League Fees are to be paid before the draft begins. There will be no exceptions to this rule. If the League Fees are not paid before the draft begins, the team owner will not be allowed to participate in the draft.

4. League Fees may be paid in cash, money order or personal check. In the event a personal check is not honored by the bank, the team owner must replace the check with cash before the first game of the season. If a team owner does not pay the amount due within two weeks of the draft, at the discretion of the League Commissioner the team will either be forfeited to a new player (selected by the League Commissioner), or operated by a consortium of two team owners. In this event, the League Commissioner will select one of the two members, and the other member will be selected by majority vote of the team owners.

5. The League will consist of three divisions comprised of four teams each.

PRIZE FUND

6. The Total Prize Fund is $1,150. Of this amount, $50 is to be allocated to the League Commissioner for reimbursement of website and software costs. The Prize Fund will be divided between the four playoff teams as follows:

a. 1st Place (Champion) $800

b. 2nd Place $250

c. 3rd Place $100

TEAM ROSTERS

7. Minimum Roster Requirements: Each team will start- 1 QB, 2 RB, 2 WR, 1 TE, 1 K, and 1 DT/ST.

8. The Maximum Roster Size is 16 spots. All teams must meet the Minimum Roster Requirement to start. All teams must draft a full starting lineup on draft day. There will be no exceptions to this rule.

9. Starting lineups must be posted on the website by game time of each week. To avoid any confusion or controversy lineups should be posted as early as possible. Team owner may move a player in or out of the starting lineup as long as the player’s NFL team has not taken the field.

10. If a Team Owner does not submit a line up before game time, the prior week’s line up will be deemed to be effective for the current week.

11. If a Team Owner does not submit a line up for three consecutive weeks, at the discretion of the League Commissioner the team will either be forfeited to a new player (selected by the League Commissioner), or operated by a consortium of two team owners. In this event, the League Commissioner will select one of the two members, and the other member will be selected by majority vote of the team owners.

LEAGUE TRANSACTIONS

12. Free Agents: After Week 14 (ending with the Monday Night game), no free agent signings are allowed. If an injury or player release occurs after Week 14 that prevents a team from meeting the minimum requirements to start, one free agent pickup will be allowed to fill that roster spot.

13. Free Agent signing will occur each Wednesday (subject to the foregoing limitations). Each team owner may submit three players to the League Commissioner in the order that they would like to pick up and one player they will drop from their team. The team with the worst record gets has the first choice of a Free Agent. If two teams have the same record, the team with the lowest points scored has the first choice of a Free Agent. If two teams within the same division have the same record, the priority goes to the team with the worse head to head record, then division record, then points.

14. A second Free Agent signing will occur at 12:00am Friday. During the second Free Agent signing the team owner who submits the Free Agent pick first gets the Free Agent. You are not limited to one Free Agent signing, you may make as many moves as you would like until Friday at 11:59pm.

15. Free Agent signing begins after week one. If an injury or player release occurs before the beginning of the season that prevents you from meeting the Minimum Requirements, one pickup will be allowed to fill that spot (i.e., if you have one kicker on your team and your kicker is cut, you may replace him).

16. Trade Deadline: No trades after Week 10 games are completed (ending with the Monday Night game). Trades: An e-mail must be sent from each party involved in the trade confirming the deal. At his sole discretion, if the League Commissioner believes the trade is an attempt at collusion (i.e., a team is dumping quality players to help another team win, for example Randy Moss is traded for Taco Wallace), it will be voted on by the league to determine if the deal is allowed to go through. An affirmative vote by two thirds of the Team Owners will allow the trade .

17. A player that has been traded from one team is not allowed to be traded back to that same team for 3 weeks. The 3 week period will begin with the date of the trade.

18. Transactions: Please try to do all transactions through the website; the website will be available a week after the draft. If you are having troubles please e-mail or call the League Commissioner.

SCORING

19. The following Points are available for rushing, passing or receiving:

.1 point per 1 yard rushing

.1 point per 1 yards receiving

.05 points per 1 yard passing

6 points for each rushing TD

6 points for each receiving TD

4 points for each passing TD

-2 point for fumble lost

-2 points for each INT

2 points for a 2pt conversion, rushing, passing, or receiving

20. The following Bonus Points are available for rushing, passing or receiving (in addition to regular points): 2pts for touchdowns of 40-79yards, or 4pts for touchdowns of 80 or more yards. Bonus points are only available to offensive players.

21. The following points are available for place kickers:

Extra Point: 1 point

FGs 1-39 yards: 3 points

FGs 40-49 yards: 4 points

FGs 50-55 yards: 5 points

FGs 56+ yards: 6 points

22. The following points are available for Defensive Teams and Special Teams :

DT/ST TD: 6 points

Safety: 4 points

INT: 2 points

Fumble: 2 point

Sack: 1 point

Shutout: 10 points

23. In the event of a tie during weekly play the team with the highest scoring bench player will be awarded the win. If this point total is the same then the second highest player will determine the victor.

PLAYOFFS

24. Playoffs: Each divisional winner will make the playoffs. One “wildcard” spot will be awarded to the team with the most overall points that has not qualified for the playoffs. If two teams within the same division have the same record at the end of the year, the tie breaker will be 1)Head to head record 2) division record 3) overall points.

25. Playoffs begin on week 15; week 16 is the League championship. The two winning teams from week 15 will play in week 16 for 1st and 2nd Place. The two losing teams from week 15 will play during week 16 for 3rd and 4th Place. Team with the best overall record plays team with the lowest amount of total points in the playoffs, regardless of division.

I like to think that I have my rules adjusted now to cover about every loop hole people can dream up. Here is a cut and paste from our IR section:

====================================================

IR

Each team has a single IR roster slot that can be used to hold a player in the event of injury. An owner may only place one player on IR at a given time. Players on IR do not count against the 15 man roster limit can be replaced with a FA pickup or a multi-player trade.

To qualify for IR, the official NFL injury report player status must be OUT. There is a $5 roster exemption fee, which is due when a player is moved to IR.

A player may stay on IR as long as the owner likes, providing his official NFL status is not upgraded to DOUBTFUL or better. Should a player’s status improve, the owner MUST make a decision and move the IR player back to the active roster or cut the player. There is no fee to move the player back to your active roster, though putting another player on IR would result in a second $5 roster exemption fee to the team.

If a IR player status is upgraded to DOUBTFUL or better, the owner will have until the roster deadline for the FIRST game of the week to make his player move and get under the 15 man roster limit. If a healthy player is left on IR past the roster deadline, the player will become a ‘Restricted Free Agent’. The effected owner will have the first right of refusal to place or pass on the $5 FA bid to claim their player back; however, other owners may counter-bid for the player after the first $5 bid is placed. Should the effected owner pass on the FA claim bid – the player will become a normal free agent and the first bid will be open to anyone who wishes to place it.

IR is available up until the roster deadline of the Week 14 schedule. Once playoff line-ups are submitted, no further IR moves will be allowed.

=====================================================

Hope that helps. PM if you want a copy of the whole DOC.

If a IR player status is upgraded to DOUBTFUL or better, the owner will have until the roster deadline for the FIRST game of the week to make his player move and get under the 15 man roster limit. If a healthy player is left on IR past the roster deadline, the player will become a ‘Restricted Free Agent’. The effected owner will have the first right of refusal to place or pass on the $5 FA bid to claim their player back; however, other owners may counter-bid for the player after the first $5 bid is placed. Should the effected owner pass on the FA claim bid – the player will become a normal free agent and the first bid will be open to anyone who wishes to place it.

IR is available up until the roster deadline of the Week 14 schedule. Once playoff line-ups are submitted, no further IR moves will be allowed.

Hope that helps. PM if you want a copy of the whole DOC.
Isn't there a loophole that the deadline for a Thursday night game could pass and afterwards (Friday or Saturday) the player is upgraded to some other status than OUT?Or do you require starting lineups to be in Thursday and locked, with no changes even if the guy doesn't play until Sunday?

I admit, IR can be tough to administer as a commish:

-some just get rid of IR altogether (but teams w/ hurt players suffer)

-some just add another roster spot (but teams just horde more players, less avail on FA list)

To me, both of those options wasn't what I wanted.

So for those that still want the IR spot , but don't want the IR headaches, here is what I do:

Our rosters are for 14 players + 1 IR spot available

The one IR roster spot is only available for those players that get injured & are listed as OUT on the weekly injury report or are declared Inactive by a team. (no questionables, or doubtfuls allowed on IR in my league).

But, once that player is placed on IR he can stay on IR until AFTER they actually play in a game. So, every Monday/Tuesday, I as commish, just scan the rosters and if I see an IR player that played during the wkend, I leave a msg for that owner he must make a decision to re-activate or drop the IR player.

For Example:

Charles Rogers gets injured during week 1 game. (thought I'd have fun w/ this example)

He is listed as OUT on the week 2 injury report.

That owner places C.Rogers on IR and picks up a FA before week 2.

Obviously, C.Rogers can't play for the Lions in Week 2.

Week 3 Injury report comes out and C.Rogers is listed as Questionable.

C.Rogers suits up and decides not to play in Week 3.........owner can keep C.Rogers on IR still.

Week 4 Injury report comes out and C.Rogers is again listed as Questionable.

Week 4 game.........this time, C.Rogers plays and catches 1 pass (play along)

The next day, that owner goes on notice to activate C.Rogers or let him be cut automatically.

(obviously, if that owner WANTED to activate him before Week 4's game, he could)

Simple, easy to understand, easy to administer (which is the most important as a commish).

No more game time decision problems when they are coming back from injury.

No more frustrated owners b/c the coach abuses the Injury Report (Mike Shanahan or Jeff Fisher or Bill Belicheck)
Good stuff and info here in this thread...... Which injury report do you use as your "main" one? Obviously I would think its the NFL report, cause there are many injury reports out there. I like your idea except for the fact of a player being on questionable status being able to stay on IR. I guess its not bad if at first he was officially OUT on the report.... BUT, what to do if player A is listed as OUT on Tues, but Sat rolls around and hes upgraded to questionable and all reports lead to this guy playing on Sun? Tough call here, IR is such a fine line.... I greatley appreciate everyones input though.... keep it rolling!

If a IR player status is upgraded to DOUBTFUL or better, the owner will have until the roster deadline for the FIRST game of the week to make his player move and get under the 15 man roster limit.  If a healthy player is left on IR past the roster deadline, the player will become a ‘Restricted Free Agent’.  The effected owner will have the first right of refusal to place or pass on the $5 FA bid to claim their player back; however, other owners may counter-bid for the player after the first $5 bid is placed.  Should the effected owner pass on the FA claim bid – the player will become a normal free agent and the first bid will be open to anyone who wishes to place it.

IR is available up until the roster deadline of the Week 14 schedule.  Once playoff line-ups are submitted, no further IR moves will be allowed.

Hope that helps.  PM if you want a copy of the whole DOC.
Isn't there a loophole that the deadline for a Thursday night game could pass and afterwards (Friday or Saturday) the player is upgraded to some other status than OUT?Or do you require starting lineups to be in Thursday and locked, with no changes even if the guy doesn't play until Sunday?
I'm disappointed in you GregR :( I'm pretty sure that if a player is listed as OUT, they can't be upgraded to DOUBT.

(now, if they were initially listed as DOUBT........then they can be upgraded or downgraded)

Which leads to my problem with Shadow's policy........

Player A is listed as OUT and goes on a team's IR (team pays $5)

Next week, the NFL team lists that player as DOUBT (either they are hoping for a miracle or trying to mess with the other team's gameplan)

Under Shadow's policy, that fantasy team has to make a move and IF there is a THURS game that week (which in 2006, there will be a lot of Thurs games), it doesn't leave that owner much time to decide.

Let's say for argument sake, he re-activates the player from IR.

Roster deadline.....comes and goes on Thursday night.

On Friday, the NFL team decides to downgrade the player in question to OUT.

That fantasy team now has to pay ANOTHER $5 to move the player back to the IR.

Seems too punitive for my tastes.

Which injury report do you use as your "main" one? Obviously I would think its the NFL report, cause there are many injury reports out there.
Why wouldn't you just use the NFL report?
I like your idea except for the fact of a player being on questionable status being able to stay on IR. I guess its not bad if at first he was officially OUT on the report....
The price you have to pay......not a big deal to me. If that player is healthy enough & SO IMPORTANT to a particular owner, they will activate and start them anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread