What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lebron James will never win a championship... (1 Viewer)

Lebron needs time to develop that killer instinct. Its hard for anyone to comprehend just how easy basketball has been for him his entire life. Until he made the NBA, he never faced anyone who could even hold his jock. He was a 6'9 freak of nature destroying 5'10 HS players. Even the best HS players he faced couldnt hold a candle to him. he never had to develop that "ice water in your veins" mentality because he just murdered everyone who stepped on the court for the first 18 years of his life. guys like wade, Melo and even MJ had at least 1 year of college to play against talented competition. Lebron never did. He has to learn everything on the job.

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this  year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.
VERY :goodposting:
Good points... but you don't think AFTER 3 NBA SEASONS of having the ball in your hands at all times... being the teams leading scorer he didn't make ONE! I'm not even asking for a couple.... just for 1 game winning shot in 3 years.MJ shot his within his 1st month.

LBJ took 3 seasons... do you remember Sportscenter reporting that stat for any other super star? You know why... b/c they all made game winning shots in their 1st season more than likely, if not by the end of their 2nd for sure.

But I'll bet my money that MJ, Isiah, Magic, Bird and all made game winners in their 1st years in the league.
could just be coincidence. Or it could just be that he is unselfish to a fault. He needs to learn to stick the dagger in people, no question about it. However, teaching a team player to take the big shot is alot easier than teaching a gunner to appreciate his teammates. *cough*kobe*cough*
True.We'll see... but I'll bet my money he doesn't win an NBA championship. If there was aplace to bet on it I would.
I would take this bet with you. I'll go as high as $5000. You name the price. Yes, I'm serious. We'd have to have a respected person here(preferably a mod) take down our personal info and maybe fax a copy of driver's liscense or something like that to make sure that the loser doesn't back out.
:popcorn: :popcorn:

I think it was clear at age 25 that Michael Jordan would never develop a mid-range game.
Corrected. ;) I think there is a legit point here that is blown away by hyperbole. For one, the guy IS 21 years old. Second, he has helped his team wins as many games as all but a couple NBA players over the last couple years.

Now, I do believe that he might lack the "clutch" factor - whether this can be overcome or not, I don't know. As a Knicks fan, I saw one of the MOST unclutch greats in Ewing - and if they just had the right f'n pieces around him, he would have had at least one, and probably two rings. So, like everyone INCLUDING Jordan and Magic, Lebron will need at least another star along with him, maybe two.

If that is the case, Lebron doesnt have to be MJ Clutch, or Reggie Miller clutch. Perhaps that is something Lebron won't be the best at. But his raw skill and ability to make others around him better will in all likelihood get a championship... to assume that he definately won't seems a bit absurd.

But saying he might not be Jerry West is fair, too. Melo on the otherhand, might not be quite the player Lebron is, but he seems to be a true assassin - and that is of huge value in playoff basketball, if he can continue that play in the big games.

Lebron needs time to develop that killer instinct. Its hard for anyone to comprehend just how easy basketball has been for him his entire life. Until he made the NBA, he never faced anyone who could even hold his jock. He was a 6'9 freak of nature destroying 5'10 HS players. Even the best HS players he faced couldnt hold a candle to him. he never had to develop that "ice water in your veins" mentality because he just murdered everyone who stepped on the court for the first 18 years of his life. guys like wade, Melo and even MJ had at least 1 year of college to play against talented competition. Lebron never did. He has to learn everything on the job.

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.
Good points... but you don't think AFTER 3 NBA SEASONS of having the ball in your hands at all times... being the teams leading scorer he didn't make ONE! I'm not even asking for a couple.... just for 1 game winning shot in 3 years.MJ shot his within his 1st month.

LBJ took 3 seasons... do you remember Sportscenter reporting that stat for any other super star? You know why... b/c they all made game winning shots in their 1st season more than likely, if not by the end of their 2nd for sure.

But I'll bet my money that MJ, Isiah, Magic, Bird and all made game winners in their 1st years in the league.
could just be coincidence. Or it could just be that he is unselfish to a fault. He needs to learn to stick the dagger in people, no question about it. However, teaching a team player to take the big shot is alot easier than teaching a gunner to appreciate his teammates. *cough*kobe*cough*
True.We'll see... but I'll bet my money he doesn't win an NBA championship. If there was aplace to bet on it I would.
I would take this bet with you. I'll go as high as $5000. You name the price. Yes, I'm serious. We'd have to have a respected person here(preferably a mod) take down our personal info and maybe fax a copy of driver's liscense or something like that to make sure that the loser doesn't back out.
I'll slap a $100 on that and we could add $10 for every year that passes. Im not saying LBJ won't be a great player or he won't reach the finals, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a clutch player a PERIMETER superstar needs to be in order to carry a team. I know he's 21 years old, but he's played 3 years in the league. He's been the man for 3 years and all he's shown is that he'd rather set up the game winning shot than take it.

You realize he's an MVP candidate in the NBA at an age when most of the game's great players were either still in college or hadn't yet made a dent in the league?

The guy is 21 for Christ's sake.
Understood, but 3 years in the league and he hadn't made ONE game winning shot. I'm not saying he'll be a crappy player, far from it. He's gonna be an all star year after year and as sure as close to a lock as you can get for HOF (if health permits). However, he doesn't possess the killer instinct to carry a team and win a championship. I don't have facts, but Ill bet $100 that it didn't take MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Isiah, and so forth 3 years before they hit a game winning shot in the league.

Understood all those guys had college experience, but LBJ has been THE MAN for the Cavs for 3 seasons. He's been their leading scorer and he had not hit a game winner. That means the dude is not clutch. It means he's afraid of the responsibility.

All the greats demand the ball is in their hands at crunch time, and they all demand that they take the last shot. Not LBJ and I dont think he'll ever get that.
:thumbup:
Some greats 1st game winning shot...MJ- Within 1 month of being Nov 11, 1984 - 12 footer with 4 seconds left - 118-116 vs Indiana

working on finding more...
His biggest game winner is still as a freshman beating G'town for the NCAA title. That shot made him into the superstar clutch player that he was.

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.

I'll slap a $100 on that and we could add $10 for every year that passes. Im not saying LBJ won't be a great player or he won't reach the finals, but I don't think he has what it takes to be a clutch player a PERIMETER superstar needs to be in order to carry a team. I know he's 21 years old, but he's played 3 years in the league. He's been the man for 3 years and all he's shown is that he'd rather set up the game winning shot than take it.
Paging Assani Fisher..... :popcorn:

You realize he's an MVP candidate in the NBA at an age when most of the game's great players were either still in college or hadn't yet made a dent in the league?

Understood, but 3 years in the league and he hadn't made ONE game winning shot. I'm not saying he'll be a crappy player, far from it. He's gonna be an all star year after year and as sure as close to a lock as you can get for HOF (if health permits). However, he doesn't possess the killer instinct to carry a team and win a championship. I don't have facts, but Ill bet $100 that it didn't take MJ, Magic, Bird, Kareem, Wilt, Isiah, and so forth 3 years before they hit a game winning shot in the league.

Understood all those guys had college experience, but LBJ has been THE MAN for the Cavs for 3 seasons. He's been their leading scorer and he had not hit a game winner. That means the dude is not clutch. It means he's afraid of the responsibility.

All the greats demand the ball is in their hands at crunch time, and they all demand that they take the last shot. Not LBJ and I dont think he'll ever get that.
It's very obvious that you didn't watch MJ from '84 to '88.By the way, how many game-winning shots has Lebron assisted? Maybe you'd prefer him to be a ball hog like Kobe. :loco:

Last edited by a moderator:

:thumbup: Same arguments I made about Kobe back in the day...
It's the same argument you hear about every high-profile rookie that comes into the league and it's ridiculous. You can't expect Lebron to do more than he already has by age 21. If he's not making the playoffs by age 25 it's a different story, but it's way too early to judge him when he's already done more than anyone expected.

So anyone else willing to take that bet since Assani Fisher has chickened out it seems...

100 dollars + 10 every season that passes until LBJ retires or wins a championship.

So anyone else willing to take that bet since Assani Fisher has chickened out it seems...

100 dollars + 10 every season that passes until LBJ retires or wins a championship.
i'm pretty sure he'll take your bet. why don't you pm him. he probably didn't see your reply.

seriously. i think carmelo will win a championship before lebron. i'd take 'melo over lebron in a heartbeat.
Anthony is absolutely clutch in the last 20 seconds of a game. I watch about every Denver game and he has hit some monsters just this year alone....
Plus he doesn't snitch.
Kobe snitched - who did LeBron snitch on?
Carmelo was in the "Stop Snitchin" video. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Snitchin%27

i'm pretty sure he'll take your bet. why don't you pm him. he probably didn't see your reply.
Yeah, didn't see it until now. What do you mean +10 for every year that passes?

Yeah, didn't see it until now. What do you mean +10 for every year that passes?
Every year that passes without a championship until he retires or wins one we add another 10 dollars.What ye say?

What a ridiculous thread. LJ may never win a championship but I don't think the blame will fall on him for christ's sake. I can't even get into how stupid this thread is out of fear that my head will explode arguing points that will never sink in. :wall: :wall:

What a ridiculous thread. LJ may never win a championship but I don't think the blame will fall on him for christ's sake. I can't even get into how stupid this thread is out of fear that my head will explode arguing points that will never sink in. :wall: :wall:
:goodposting:

Hmmm, it looks like James can do just fine in the clutch.  And in a playoff game, too.
I doubt the thread starter will be chiming in today. I'll attempt to make his argument for him...
Code:
Last Active	Today, 03:14 AM
Well, yeah, but unless he does it in game 7 on the road in the finals he still sucks.

I know the officials don't call travelling very often, but that move last night was blatantly illegal.

I have nothing against LJ, but things like this are what makes the NBA unwatchable.

seriously. i think carmelo will win a championship before lebron. i'd take 'melo over lebron in a heartbeat.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, he did manage to lead his team to 1 victory over the Clippers. If you call 6 for 17 from the field and 12 for 19 from the line "leading". Way to step it up, 'Melo. :thumbup:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
playing the Wiz is a far cry from playing the Clippers this year and you know it.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Well, he did manage to lead his team to 1 victory over the Clippers. If you call 6 for 17 from the field and 12 for 19 from the line "leading". Way to step it up, 'Melo. :thumbup:
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
playing the Wiz is a far cry from playing the Clippers this year and you know it.
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh come on. it's not like they're playing Dallas.

We'll see... I still stand by teh fact that LBJ won't win a championship. Many great players don't have championships and LBJ will be the greatest of them all.

PLus LBJ hasn't even won the series yet. Still 2-2.

We'll see... I still stand by teh fact that LBJ won't win a championship. Many great players don't have championships and LBJ will be the greatest of them all.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wait.... Is LBJ a new NBA team?? Or is the Cleveland Cavs still in the playoffs??

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many of your "great players" had rings at age 21, while being the face of a franchise?Get a grip.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Don't forget - he's clutch. :lmao:

The guy can obviously play, and he has the drive to get better. He'll be in the playoffs this  year. I think we need to see him in that environment before we go writing him off as champion material.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI, I'm still here and I'll still do the bet. I'm not really sure about adding money each year...I think I'd rather just make it a set amount. $100 is fine. Are you game?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
FYI, I'm still here and I'll still do the bet. I'm not really sure about adding money each year...I think I'd rather just make it a set amount. $100 is fine. Are you game?
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I thought you quit Hardies?

I'm so pissed right now as a Wizards fan, but I figure I'll be the one to bump this thread since it'd get done anyway. Mother####er!

Put this down in history.

LBJ will never win an NBA championship. He doesnt have the killer instinct or clutch play to become the best. He'll never be Magic and no way will he ever be Jordan.

I still think he'll become one of the best players in the NBA, but he'll be just like Peyton Manning. All stats and no rings.

If it takes a supposed franchise savior 3 NBA season before he hits a game winner... there's a problem. What's even worse is he has been considered "the man" practially since he put on a Cavs jersey.

Wade amd Melo on the other hand will win their fair share of championships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You really should have one of the mods delete this.

Put this down in history.

LBJ will never win an NBA championship. He doesnt have the killer instinct or clutch play to become the best. He'll never be Magic and no way will he ever be Jordan.

I still think he'll become one of the best players in the NBA, but he'll be just like Peyton Manning. All stats and no rings.

If it takes a supposed franchise savior 3 NBA season before he hits a game winner... there's a problem. What's even worse is he has been considered "the man" practially since he put on a Cavs jersey.

Wade amd Melo on the other hand will win their fair share of championships.

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
:own3d:

Wow, I just ran out of work to go watch that and glad I did. Cool, calm, and clutch. Best thing was he didn't flip out and celebrate and looked to play D right away.

At 21, a freakin year younger than me, this kid is incredible. He'll win a championship.

Since the inception of this awesome thread, LBJ has hit at least three game winners (not counting the one that started this thread, his 1st).

Two of those happen to be in the first playoff series of his career. Maybe No.16 can pull up some HOF'ers that can claim that.

No. 16

Footballguy

Member Group: Members

Most active in Footballguys Free For All

Last Active Today, 01:50 AM

Does it count as game winner if the other team lets you drive the baseline unimpeded for a relatively easy layup?

PS- I think LeBron is awesome, but that play that was just the final course in the Wizards' "Buffet of Atrocious Defense" last night.

Does it count as game winner if the other team lets you drive the baseline unimpeded for a relatively easy layup?

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Does it count as a game winner if you push the defender out of the way before hitting the winning shot in the waning seconds (see: Jordan vs. Utah in '98)? :P Then answer to both questions is 'yes.'

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sorry didnt catch this sooner. I'm still game.

Users who are viewing this thread