What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Leinart Quotes (1 Viewer)

Chaos Commish

Footballguy
Since he got ripped for what he said after the Rose Bowl. link

"It is so early to really talk about it, the scouting process is so early,'' he said. "But me and Coach Chow had a great relationship in college at USC. I still talk with him quite a bunch."Who knows what could happen with the draft. I am going to go wherever, to whatever team takes me. If it's Coach Chow, then we'll re-ignite our relationship that we once had at USC and I'll play for the Titans.''
"I feel like it is an honor to get drafted wherever I go, whatever city wants to take me,'' he said. "I'm just looking forward to the opportunity. I feel like I am ready to move on.''
"If I have a chance to go to a team where I can sit and play behind an experienced quarterback and learn the system and then maybe get thrown in the next year or so, that would be great," he said. "But if I go to a team where I have to play right away, that would be great, too, because I'll get that experience right away. Maybe it won't go so well at times, but it is all experience. You just have to go in with the mindset you are going to learn and get better every year.''
Leinart called Young a "great talent" and said they became friends last season."Obviously there is going to be guys that have stronger arms, there is going to be guys that can run faster," Leinart said. "But for me the biggest part of it is managing the football game, having those intangibles that great quarterbacks have — Joe Montanas, Tom Bradys, Peyton Mannings and both quarterbacks in the Super Bowl, (Seattle's Matt) Hasselbeck and (Pittsburgh's Ben) Roethisberger."They manage the football game and don't make a lot of mistakes. They make the key throws and keep the chains moving and those are the things that go kind of overlooked."I understand I probably have some critics, and everybody has critics, but I know what I can do and I proved myself at USC the last three years against great competition. I am just going to go out there and play my game and if people don't like it they don't like it.''

Tennessee has connections to all three 1st round QBs...V. Young is tight with McNair and calls him his "mentor"M. Leinart has the Chow connection [and Fisher is an SC guy]J. Cutler is represented by the same agent as McNair [important considering McNair needs to re-do his deal to remain a Titan]

Tennessee has connections to all three 1st round QBs...

V. Young is tight with McNair and calls him his "mentor"

M. Leinart has the Chow connection [and Fisher is an SC guy]

J. Cutler is represented by the same agent as McNair [important considering McNair needs to re-do his deal to remain a Titan]
Interesting. Don't omit the Nashville connection with Cutler.

The Saints would be stupid to pass on him. Leinart is not only a great player, but a great guys as well. I can't see him ever acting like Aaron Brooks does on the sideline after he throws a pick.

How is Cutler even in the discussion if the Titans don't trade down? Has his stock really risen so high?

How is Cutler even in the discussion if the Titans don't trade down? Has his stock really risen so high?
I'm guessing Chow likes him better than Leinart.

With the game on the line vs. Notre Dame, he asked Bush if they should run the sneak or spike it. And Bush said go fo it. Leinert showed no leadership in the clutch. Here is a quote from Carroll desribing it but I saw the quote live from Leinert.

On the final play of the game: "Matt Leinert has the choice on that play to either spike it or go for the quarterback sneak. We were telling him from the sideline to go for it. He didn't think he could make it and he turned to Reggie Bush and Reggie said go for it. He wasn't all that confident he could do it, but he snapped the ball and made it."

Why?
Excellent Question. Cutler has a gun for an arm, but I'm by no means sold on this guy. His meteoric rise is so reminscient of Kyle Boller's ascent to first round status.

The Saints would be stupid to pass on him. Leinart is not only a great player, but a great guys as well. I can't see him ever acting like Aaron Brooks does on the sideline after he throws a pick.
This is not very PC, but I would really not want to play for the Saints in their current condition. I wonder if Leinert can pull an Eli?

I heard a very good interview from Chris Landry a couple of days after the Rosebowl. This is a synopsis of what Landry, who once worked for that franchise and remains close with Fisher, had to say. Chow was a M. Cassell fan at USC not a Leinart lap dog. As with any program that size, there was a heavy amount of politics tied to playing time. Cassell was a free spirit and did not necessarily play Carroll's games. Leinart did. Chow made it known Cassell was the better player but did not go along to get along. Thus, Leinhart got the nod. Landry made it very clear the assumptions regarding the perceived man crush Chow might have for Leinart are false. Since Clear Channel is headquartered in San Antonio Landry is on live damn near every day on the local radio. No link and just passing the story along.

I heard a very good interview from Chris Landry a couple of days after the Rosebowl. This is a synopsis of what Landry, who once worked for that franchise and remains close with Fisher, had to say.

Chow was a M. Cassell fan at USC not a Leinart lap dog. As with any program that size, there was a heavy amount of politics tied to playing time. Cassell was a free spirit and did not necessarily play Carroll's games. Leinart did. Chow made it known Cassell was the better player but did not go along to get along. Thus, Leinhart got the nod.

Landry made it very clear the assumptions regarding the perceived man crush Chow might have for Leinart are false.

Since Clear Channel is headquartered in San Antonio Landry is on live damn near every day on the local radio. No link and just passing the story along.
I have been saying the exact same stuff Landry said for most of this season. The old QB controversy between Cassell and Leinart wasn't private from LA papers. Chow did prefer Cassell. However, the Pats may have themselves a fine QB there. They think enough of his development that they didn't allocate him to NFLE. And perhaps it isn't a shot at Leinart to say Chow preferred Cassell a few years ago. I do believe Chow and Leinart developed a nice relationship last year, and Chow even expressed surprise at Leinart's success. I do think Chow has always preferred the more mobile athletic QBs, which would explain why he liked Cassell over Leinart. Remember, Steve Young was Chow's masterpiece. "I think" Chow would prefer Vince Young, but there is no way to be sure. I also think we all talk about Chow to much. He had no say at SC, obviously, and I doubt he has much in Tennessee. His input is probably very respected but he isn't making personnel decisions from the OC's desk.

:shrug:

Chow made it known Cassell was the better player
then chow was wronggreat quotes from leinart in the initial post...exactly the type of guy i'd be willing to invest millions and millions of dollars in

Chow made it known Cassell was the better player
then chow was wronggreat quotes from leinart in the initial post...exactly the type of guy i'd be willing to invest millions and millions of dollars in
Well, you certainly have a better perspective than Chow.

Why?
Excellent Question. Cutler has a gun for an arm, but I'm by no means sold on this guy. His meteoric rise is so reminscient of Kyle Boller's ascent to first round status.
Chow has never been appeared to be high on Leinart, at least publicly. He was very impressed by Cutler at the Senior Bowl though. If Chow is so high on him, then I'd expect the Titans to trade up to #1 to get Leinart. I just wouldn't be surprised if the Titans take Cutler at #3 or trade down to get him.

then chow was wrong
Like I said, I am just the messanger but I will say this. Landry knows his stuff. That guy has more good information than most...all...of his peers. To be clear the issues that kept Cassell from playing were not athletic ability or talent, as compared to Leinart. Landry was specific to point out Cassell would not play Carroll's game. Speaking from personal experience, I once had a position coach tell me I would probably be better off spending more time in the weight room versus the classroom, if I wanted to see the field more often. This was under Coach Switzer at OU. Insert any number of M. Dupree or J. Halloway jokes. That is the kind of bull#### that goes on...believe it or not. Landry did not get specific but he hinted that Cassell was not puckering up early and often enough. Leinart was. Leinart's a smart and sharp kid. I do not see him falling past the Saints.

I haven't heard word 1 about Leinart slipping by the Saints. Looking at the QBs Payton (sic) has worked with - Collins and Bledsoe - I see him taking the stand-in-the-pocket guy that DOESN"T remind the fanbase of Aaron Brooks over the mobile guy who, sorry to point out the obvious, might remind the fans of AB. Toss in that the Saints could easily end up in LA in the next 5 years, and Leinart seems to be an easy choice.And for the record, Young's agent is the same as Cutler's agent. Young is using a "family attorney" because the agent (Bud Smith?) agreed to only rep one QB this year and Cutler was on board first. Make no mistake about who is calling the shots.

I have to ask. Didn’t the Titans have plenty of opportunity to draft Cassell last year? They had 7 day two draft picks. So either Chow didn't like him all that much or Chow had little say in the matter. :confused:

I haven't heard word 1 about Leinart slipping by the Saints. Looking at the QBs Payton (sic) has worked with - Collins and Bledsoe - I see him taking the stand-in-the-pocket guy that DOESN"T remind the fanbase of Aaron Brooks over the mobile guy who, sorry to point out the obvious, might remind the fans of AB. Toss in that the Saints could easily end up in LA in the next 5 years, and Leinart seems to be an easy choice.

And for the record, Young's agent is the same as Cutler's agent. Young is using a "family attorney" because the agent (Bud Smith?) agreed to only rep one QB this year and Cutler was on board first. Make no mistake about who is calling the shots.
Young is represented by "Major Adams" who has professional clients, though none on Young's scale. James BUS Cook is representing Cutler, and "advising" Major Adams, as he agreed to represent no other QBs besides Cutler.

I have to ask. Didn’t the Titans have plenty of opportunity to draft Cassell last year? They had 7 day two draft picks. So either Chow didn't like him all that much or Chow had little say in the matter. :confused:
Sure they did. Chow had been with them as an OC for about a couple months. Volek had some great games and McNair was coming back. Cap and free agency was tearing the team apart at other positions. Really, Chow's influence is way over estimated. He's not a GM, a head coach, a personnel exec or a scout. He's a college OC who got a job as a pro OC. He doesn't make draft picks. And that's only half of it.

I haven't heard word 1 about Leinart slipping by the Saints.
It's all speculation, Colin. Nobody has heard a word that isn't speculation.Loomis on the situation

loomis said the Saints intend to remain open to all options that would improve the club, even if it means trading the No. 2 pick.

"We've proven we'll trade up, we'll trade down or we'll take our own pick," Loomis said Wednesday. "We are going to keep all of the options available to us open and play it close to the vest until the last minute."

Houston has the first pick. They are under fan pressure to take Young, who grew up there and won a national championship this season with Texas. But the Texans have indicated they are leaning toward selecting 2005 Heisman winner Reggie Bush and staying with young quarterback David Carr, who will be 27 next season.

Loomis said his staff has not determined whether Young or Leinart would be the better pick at quarterback.

"And that's only assuming that we are going to take a quarterback," Loomis said. "Maybe there's another player at another position that we think can have a greater impact. ... Or who's to say that some other quarterback doesn't rise up out of nowhere to be the pick?"

Loomis also stressed that he does not view the draft as a public relations event aimed at selling tickets.

"You know what will affect the fan base? Winning," Loomis said. "I don't care what anybody says, if you are a winning team, you can put 100,000 people in a stadium in Des Moines, Iowa. The most effective marketing tool for us is winning, and that is where all of our efforts are directed, not selling this guy or that guy as the face of the organization.

"We need to make the best pick possible because it can affect the franchise for a long time," he said.

great quotes from leinart in the initial post...exactly the type of guy i'd be willing to invest millions and millions of dollars in
Maybe it's just the effect of stringing them all together into one block of text, but it seems to me that he's laying it on a bit thick. I'm not buying.I would not invest millions and millions of dollars in Leinart and have felt that way ever since he came back for his senior season despite having a national championship, a heisman, and no possible way of improving his draft stock.

PLEASE NOTE: if that's what Leinart personally wanted to do because he simply enjoys playing college football, then I think that's pretty cool and I think Leinart is to be commended for doing it. But if I'm an NFL GM, it's a red flag. It makes me wonder how committed he is to being the best NFL quarterback in history. If I'm going to take a guy #1, 2, or 3 in the draft and pay him tens of millions, I want him to be completely obsessed with NFL success. I don't think Leinart is.

As several others have correctly pointed out, T.O. is many things but there was no racial intent to his comment because HE DIDN'T BRING FAVRE INTO THE MIX.

A reporter quoted Michael Irvin's statement. McNabb explicitly criticized T.O.'s CHOOSING of Favre instead of Leftwich, Vick, McNair, etc...when in fact T.O. had absolutely nothing to do with the choice of which QB in this instance.

It's assinine beyond words.

McNabb should be insulted that T.O. challenged his skills and abilities relative to another NFL QB...any competitive guy would be.

But the fact he somehow took that as a racist slap in the face? I'm stunned and in complete and utter disbelief.
Agree completely. It's shameful when people cry wolf. Using the race card inappropriately is a total embarrassment IMO. I thought he was a little smarter than that. Guess I was wrong.
Uh huh, it's so inappropriate when he's had to deal with race situations with Rush and his own NAACP. So what if he's wrong in feeling that way? After all he's been through, it's no surprise at all that McNabb would take TO's comments as a slam on him as a black QB.
He's NOT :no: The Jay Cutler hype train is pretty much limited to Chris Mortensen, half of this board, and those who like to parrot Mort in the media. If the Titans stay where they are, Jay Cutler will NOT be their pick.

I can't see him ever acting like Aaron Brooks does on the sideline after he throws a pick.
Has this guy ever even had a bad day? Not trying to be a wiseass, I honestly don't know. But my point is, unless he's had a bad day (which he will in the NFL - everyone does), we have no idea how he'll react.

He's NOT :no:

The Jay Cutler hype train is pretty much limited to Chris Mortensen, half of this board, and those who like to parrot Mort in the media. If the Titans stay where they are, Jay Cutler will NOT be their pick.
Mike Mayock really got the media hype started on Cutler. To be clear, I don't think any of us here believe he is going to be in the mix with Young and Leinart in regard to his draft position. He is a very solid number three at the moment with a better chance of falling a spot than rising above the big names. The argument I have made isn't about his draft spot, but his talent level. I do not think he is a candidate to be chosen in the top 5 despite some of the hype out there. I think there is a very small chance he could go at the end of the top 10. Realistically, I think the goes to Miami or falls further. I don't care if he falls to the third round. I like his skill set better than Leinart's.

Last edited by a moderator:
great quotes from leinart in the initial post...exactly the type of guy i'd be willing to invest millions and millions of dollars in
Maybe it's just the effect of stringing them all together into one block of text, but it seems to me that he's laying it on a bit thick. I'm not buying.I would not invest millions and millions of dollars in Leinart and have felt that way ever since he came back for his senior season despite having a national championship, a heisman, and no possible way of improving his draft stock.

PLEASE NOTE: if that's what Leinart personally wanted to do because he simply enjoys playing college football, then I think that's pretty cool and I think Leinart is to be commended for doing it. But if I'm an NFL GM, it's a red flag. It makes me wonder how committed he is to being the best NFL quarterback in history. If I'm going to take a guy #1, 2, or 3 in the draft and pay him tens of millions, I want him to be completely obsessed with NFL success. I don't think Leinart is.
Maybe so. My brother, a USC alum and diehard fan, is extremely critical of Leinart's psychological profile. I happen to like him in that regard. The elbow surgery had as much to do with him staying in school as anything.

:shrug:

:goodposting: We had this argument last year Doug and if I remember the thread correctly, you and I were some of the few on that side of the fence.

As several others have correctly pointed out, T.O. is many things but there was no racial intent to his comment because HE DIDN'T BRING FAVRE INTO THE MIX.

A reporter quoted Michael Irvin's statement. McNabb explicitly criticized T.O.'s CHOOSING of Favre instead of Leftwich, Vick, McNair, etc...when in fact T.O. had absolutely nothing to do with the choice of which QB in this instance.

McNabb should be insulted that T.O. challenged his skills and abilities relative to another NFL QB...any competitive guy would be.

But the fact he somehow took that as a racist slap in the face? I'm stunned and in complete and utter disbelief.
Agree completely. It's shameful when people cry wolf. Using the race card inappropriately is a total embarrassment IMO. I thought he was a little smarter than that. Guess I was wrong.
Uh huh, it's so inappropriate when he's had to deal with race situations with Rush and his own NAACP. So what if he's wrong in feeling that way? After all he's been through, it's no surprise at all that McNabb would take TO's comments as a slam on him as a black QB.
He's NOT :no: The Jay Cutler hype train is pretty much limited to Chris Mortensen, half of this board, and those who like to parrot Mort in the media. If the Titans stay where they are, Jay Cutler will NOT be their pick.
The Cutler hype train is a bit bigger than that...though I agree he will not go #3 to the titans.

I dont see how coming back for his senior year is a bad thing. I think ALL QBs should play 4 years in college. That one year can make a huge difference. P Manning went back to school for his senior year. Didnt Palmer as well?I think its a good idea for QBS to stay and not come out early.

Tennessee has connections to all three 1st round QBs...

V. Young is tight with McNair and calls him his "mentor"

M. Leinart has the Chow connection [and Fisher is an SC guy]

J. Cutler is represented by the same agent as McNair [important considering McNair needs to re-do his deal to remain a Titan]
And Marcus Vick slept with a Nashville hooker, so you actually have four connections.

I can't see him ever acting like Aaron Brooks does on the sideline after he throws a pick.
Has this guy ever even had a bad day? Not trying to be a wiseass, I honestly don't know. But my point is, unless he's had a bad day (which he will in the NFL - everyone does), we have no idea how he'll react.
PASSING: Southern California-Matt Leinart 21/39, 277 yards, 2 TD, 3 INT, lost 34-31 to Cal in OT.(The only loss Leinart had until this year's Rose Bowl).

I dont see how coming back for his senior year is a bad thing. I think ALL QBs should play 4 years in college. That one year can make a huge difference. P Manning went back to school for his senior year. Didnt Palmer as well?

I think its a good idea for QBS to stay and not come out early.
Palmer was a mid rounder after his junior year. Leinart was going to be the first pick in the draft.edit: I do agree about the elbow stuff though.

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont see how coming back for his senior year is a bad thing. I think ALL QBs should play 4 years in college. That one year can make a huge difference. P Manning went back to school for his senior year. Didnt Palmer as well?

Palmer would not have been drafted if he'd come out as a junior. 1998: 55.3% completions, 7 TD, 6 INT

1999: injured

2000: 54.9% completions, 16 TD, 18 INT

2001: 58.6% completions, 13 TD, 12 INT

:lmao: cassel was a backup TE...what was there to like?

sure he came into USC as a QB, but was behind leinart and booty 2 years ago.

:confused: i have no idea how you can make that statement.

how is wanting to be the best college QB ever conflicting with then wanting to become the best NFL QB ever? one just comes before the other.

leinart had an opportunity to do something very special this past year, with very little financial downfall with the extra insurance his dad took out. leinart was guaranteed 8 figured regardless.

the npv of what he could have got last year and what he will get this year is negligible and given the opportunity he was given of playing a year in college with taking virtually no classes is a once in a lifetime opportunity.

Why won't you explain yourself on his "failures" in the Cutler thread? I was really interested to hear your in-depth analysis.Listen to Wood guys, he's a great asset here at FBG. He can predict the future of an NFL prospect he'd never even heard of until seeing a few snaps at the Senior Bowl. You should really make that premium content, Wood, don't want us to freeload off of that dynamite analysis.

I would not invest millions and millions of dollars in Leinart and have felt that way ever since he came back for his senior season despite having a national championship, a heisman, and no possible way of improving his draft stock.

how is wanting to be the best college QB ever conflicting with then wanting to become the best NFL QB ever? one just comes before the other.
Well, I'm no psychiatrist, and it's just a gut feel which certainly could be wrong. I don't want a guy that wants to be the best QB in NFL history. Heck, everyone wants to be the best QB in NFL history. I want the guy who is obsessed with becoming the best in history.

Again, I am not in any way criticizing Leinart's decision. I don't think his decision was wrong. I just think it was telling. In some ways, it makes me think more of him as a person. But it definitely makes me think less of him as an NFL prospect. JMHO.

Palmer was a mid rounder after his junior year. Leinart was going to be the first pick in the draft.edit: I do agree about the elbow stuff though.

Palmer would not have been drafted if he'd come out as a junior. 1998: 55.3% completions, 7 TD, 6 INT

1999: injured

2000: 54.9% completions, 16 TD, 18 INT

2001: 58.6% completions, 13 TD, 12 INT
I realize they helped their draft position by going back for another year. I also believe that going back for a 4th year makes you a better QB and more ready for the NFL. Which is why Leinart going back was a great move IMO, despite his projected #1 status, his NC and Heisman already being in hand. One more year as a college QB is in no way a bad thing. Maybe someone with more time and desire can due a study on NFL qbs and their success based on 4 years or 3 in college. May be difficult because their drafted team has a lot to do with their success but still. may be worth seeing who stayed 4 and who came out after 3 and thier success.

I would not invest millions and millions of dollars in Leinart and have felt that way ever since he came back for his senior season despite having a national championship, a heisman, and no possible way of improving his draft stock.

Well, I'm no psychiatrist, and it's just a gut feel which certainly could be wrong. I don't want a guy that wants to be the best QB in NFL history. Heck, everyone wants to be the best QB in NFL history. I want the guy who is obsessed with becoming the best in history.

Again, I am not in any way criticizing Leinart's decision. I don't think his decision was wrong. I just think it was telling. In some ways, it makes me think more of him as a person. But it definitely makes me think less of him as an NFL prospect. JMHO.
The one thing that bothers me about Leinart is his lack of enthusiasm about being in the NFL. It was great for USC for him to play an extra year, but he passed up the chance to be the #1 pick and go to a team with a long history of great QB's. I still like the guy and think he's a good QB, but I don't see the desire that some other guys have. You listen to Reggie Bush and he does seem obsessed with being the best.

Users who are viewing this thread