What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lesean McCoy? How concerned are we? (1 Viewer)

Maybe, but he’s a strong little mofo. There are some Twitter videos of him squatting 500+ lbs.
I've heard that and about his blocking. I'm not sneezing at an NFL guy being an extraordinary physical entity. He just looks smaller than the other extraordinary physical entities trying to stop him. 

Now reports are that this was a pre-determined rest week to keep him fresh for the stretch run.  If so, major knee-jerk over reaction from owner in one league who dropped Shady for Darrel.
I did that. Whoops. I'm not really concerned, though as he was my last RB off the bench.

Have Jacobs, J. White, K. Hunt, and J. Mixon in .5 PPR. If Shady wins the job, that's one thing, but I need to actually make the playoffs and he sure seemed like he was getting no carries after the Packer fumble. 

For the most part, he still looked like their best RB. I think the fumbles did him in.
His YPC was like 5.5. It's either pre-determined rest, pass pro, or fumbles. We won't know until it all shakes out, which will be too late for fantasy regular seasons and their playoff schedule is tough. 

Teams don’t rest players for games. They never sacrifice an opportunity to win with only 16 games to jockey for playoff position. I’d buy the fumbles but in any case he’s deactivated bc right now they think Williams and Thompson are better.

Last edited by a moderator:
Teams don’t rest players for games. They never sacrifice an opportunity to win with only 16 games to jockey for playoff position. I’d buy the fumbles but in any case he’s deactivated bc right now they think Williams and Thompson are better.
Darrel had a key fumble, in a game they won, and he didn't get benched. He made up for, but there must be other reasons. Maybe it's cause the Williams provide better blocking blocking for the franchise.

Adam Teicher had more on LeSean McCoy today: "LeSean McCoy being inactive is due to three factors: His fumbling problem, Damien Williams is healthy and playing better and the Chiefs' desire to get Darwin Thompson into the playing rotation."
huhn... the third issue I think is the key one.

Darrel had a key fumble, in a game they won, and he didn't get benched. He made up for, but there must be other reasons. Maybe it's cause the Williams provide better blocking blocking for the franchise.
It's probably not a coincidence that LeSean got benched the same game Mahomes came back.  With Mahomes knee at risk of reinjury, blocking is more important than normal.  Last year PFF gave McCoy a pass blocking grade of 51.3.  Damien Williams received a pass blocking grade of 78.4.  Darrel Williams received a pass blocking grade of 78.0.

Don Hutson said:
It's probably not a coincidence that LeSean got benched the same game Mahomes came back.  With Mahomes knee at risk of reinjury, blocking is more important than normal.  Last year PFF gave McCoy a pass blocking grade of 51.3.  Damien Williams received a pass blocking grade of 78.4.  Darrel Williams received a pass blocking grade of 78.0.
That’s good stuff right there. 

Any sense of what happens Monday night? I'm in a bit of a jam this week if Montgomery doesn't play Sunday night. I have McCoy and I picked up Darwin Thompson last night, so I would have to choose between those two if Monty sits. Or if by miracle Breida suits up I could roll the dice with him but that would be a little nutty, too. Anything of note from practice reports this week?

Any sense of what happens Monday night? I'm in a bit of a jam this week if Montgomery doesn't play Sunday night. I have McCoy and I picked up Darwin Thompson last night, so I would have to choose between those two if Monty sits. Or if by miracle Breida suits up I could roll the dice with him but that would be a little nutty, too. Anything of note from practice reports this week?
I haven't heard anything.

We didnt hear anything prior to the last game either. Shady was a healthy scratch.

So I'm not expecting him to play.

LeSean McCoy is active for Week 11 against the Chargers Monday night.

McCoy was an interesting healthy scratch last week against the Titans after seeing his playing time dip considerably the last few weeks, but he's back in uniform in Mexico City. He still needs to be left out of fantasy lineups until he starts pushing Damien and Darrel Williams for snaps again.

Nov 18, 2019, 6:54 PM ET

Shady with almost another DEVASTATING fumble .....lucky it bounces right back to him....

####### guy should not see the field again.....sorry....if you are not gonna change your game to be better and help your team....take a seat...

LeSean McCoy rushed seven times for 29 yards and one touchdown in the Chiefs' Week 11 win over the Chargers Monday night, adding four catches for 28 yards on six targets.

After being a healthy scratch last week, McCoy was outplaying Damien Williams before Damien left the game in the second quarter with a ribs injury. McCoy scored the lone touchdown of the first half on a six-yard run. But Darrel Williams actually led the backfield with 12 touches, seeing all the work late in the fourth quarter after McCoy left to be evaluated for a concussion. This backfield remains a weekly headache with three backs always vying for snaps. McCoy looked refreshed, however, after the week off and now gets the bye to clear the concussion ahead of a Week 13 date with the Raiders.

Nov 19, 2019, 12:01 AM ET

his possible  game losing/changing fumble inside the 10 ( that luckily bounced right back to him) will be lost in the wash.... but at some point the Chiefs need to say enough is enough....still a loaf of bread....i'll take freakin Darrell Williams twice on Sunday when ball security is important.....Shady doesn't give a #### about ball security......its obvious he will not change his game....when every possession means something down the stretch, not sure how Reid can still be playing this guy no matter what history you have with him....

With regard to punishing/benching a guy for fumbling, I'd be fascinated to know how many coaches...

* impose less discipline if his own team recovers, and more discipline if the other team recovers;

* view all fumbles as equally bad regardless of who recovers.

Seems like the latter is the more sensible perspective.  If I'm Reid and I see McCoy juggling the ball down there near the endzone, he's done for the day right there, even though he was able to get it back himself.  It's a bullet dodged, but the bullet was discharged nonetheless.

I can't remember a backfield in my decade or so of this hobby that's been less settled this late in the year. 

Usually, you just chalk it up to an RBBC and move on, but this feels different.  

I also usually like to chime in with an "all you need is friendship..." vibe about fantasy football to its adherents. Seems to take the edge off of things. 

This situation? This situation has nothing to do with friendship. Next time someone tells you about the genius of KC and Mahomes, remind them about how they squinted real hard and found diamonds in the coal that is Sammy Watkins.  

They have no more of a clue than you do.  

Damien Williams not practicing.

Picked up McCoy off waivers last night and he's sitting in my last (8th) RB slot. Figured what the hell...can't be that bad to have a piece of the KC offense (unless you're counting on it).

Williams still not practicing after the bye. Interesting. And they signed another RB. Could this be a multi week injury?

Have McCoy. Darrell Williams sitting in FA too. Would be great if the stars align here just in time for the playoffs.

Damien Williams not practicing.

Picked up McCoy off waivers last night and he's sitting in my last (8th) RB slot. Figured what the hell...can't be that bad to have a piece of the KC offense (unless you're counting on it).

Williams still not practicing after the bye. Interesting. And they signed another RB. Could this be a multi week injury?

Have McCoy. Darrell Williams sitting in FA too. Would be great if the stars align here just in time for the playoffs.
Tough though because it feels like a scenario where whatever choice you make, the opposite will happen.

Wouldnt be surprised to see McGuire get a bunch of carries because “why the hell not”

If Damien Williams sits then I think that only brings clarity. McCoy or Darrell Williams would both be flex worthy starts. Reid will probably split the workload so they'd each have a decent floor with TD upside. 10-17 pts each. Good not great and probably doesn't lose you anything. 

If Damien Williams sits then I think that only brings clarity. McCoy or Darrell Williams would both be flex worthy starts. Reid will probably split the workload so they'd each have a decent floor with TD upside. 10-17 pts each. Good not great and probably doesn't lose you anything. 
It’s the time of year where you have to c@ck block when necessary. I grabbed McCoy. Darrel is still out there too (smaller league) but don’t have that much room.

I see a huge disparity in McCoy rankings with BLOOM having him ranked fairly high, and DODDS & TREMBLAY ranked very low.

Seems like it's a wait n' see who Reid names the starter and what exactly is the status of D Williams.

I see a huge disparity in McCoy rankings with BLOOM having him ranked fairly high, and DODDS & TREMBLAY ranked very low.

Seems like it's a wait n' see who Reid names the starter and what exactly is the status of D Williams.
D. Williams is playing but we don't know how big of a role he'll have. D. Williams remains a question mark if he'll be active or not.

i feel like darrel has the higher true upside, but mccoy has the higher median outcome.

reid loves shady, even though darrel has more burst at this point.  mccoy still does have the shiftiness, and i would expect him to get more red zone work.

No practice again for Damien.

You'd think Reid wants to start getting in a groove and have some consistency in the running game and maybe, um, stick to a rotation. Maybe McCoy can gain some momentum here this week and Reid sticks with him.

I am really thinking that Williams is the play until the playoffs start.  Fresh legs. Big body.  Can catch the ball.  That is what Reid wants this time of the year.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was back to the normal rotation by the playoffs. 

Wait, what?
I didn't want to get suspended over calling him something else.

Let's put it this way: "if Andy Reid could stop bloviating and hemming and hawing and start making up his mind, he'd have his true back." Instead, he got cute with his backfield and tried to coach speak it out of them. They're old dogs. Ain't no new tricks, aside from Darrel. 

I didn't want to get suspended over calling him something else.

Let's put it this way: "if Andy Reid could stop bloviating and hemming and hawing and start making up his mind, he'd have his true back." Instead, he got cute with his backfield and tried to coach speak it out of them. They're old dogs. Ain't no new tricks, aside from Darrel. 
Why does he need a “true” back?

these ain’t psalms, this is the nfl.  Multiple backs can succeed.  Reid ####s up game management, but he is an offensive genius.

Why does he need a “true” back?

these ain’t psalms, this is the nfl.  Multiple backs can succeed.  Reid ####s up game management, but he is an offensive genius.
My bad. He doesn't really. This was a cross-posting. In the other thread, I said he should have just said "RBBC" to the media and been done with it.

But that also said, among this group, he really does have a pretty glaring top back, and it's hurt them in their four losses. I think McCoy is the guy to run the football for them. That's just me.

Users who are viewing this thread