What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's discuss...this years #1 redraft. (1 Viewer)

An OG is easier to replace than either tackle, especially when sandwiched between All World LT Jones and Uber Veteran probowl center Tobeck.
pass blocking, i'd agree. run blocking, guard and tackle are just as vital to meand i consider the loss of Richardson to have minimal effect
This isn't to be a treatise on why SA is a better pick than LJ. I'm looking at factors to he;p make my decision. And OL/coaching factors are greatly in SA's favor.
to me it's not about who's production will drop more. will LJ's production as a starter drop enough to put him below Alexander? 32.7 ppg (ppr) over his 9 starts vs. 23.7 ppg for Alexander last year. i've got about a 30% drop for LJ, and about a 10% drop for Alexander, which still has LJ on top.
The 9 game sample for LJ is another good point. We don't know how LJ will last over the course of a full season. We know how SA and LT handle a full season. And the loss of a quality FB is a bigger deal than losing an average FB.I'm also working in a non-ppr league so that drops LJ down a bit in my rankings while not really affecting SA at all.

You can credibly argue that any of the Big Four - LT, LJ, Alexander, and Southest Jerome - could end up as the #1 after this season. I like the strategy of trading down to the #4 spot given that none of those guys should suck this year. I will say though that the guy I worry most about is LJ.

I just am not a Herm Edwards fan, and of the four RB's he's the only new head coach (with a new coordinator) coaching one of them. It doesn't help that Roaf retired either.

An OG is easier to replace than either tackle, especially when sandwiched between All World LT Jones and Uber Veteran probowl center Tobeck.
pass blocking, i'd agree. run blocking, guard and tackle are just as vital to meand i consider the loss of Richardson to have minimal effect
This isn't to be a treatise on why SA is a better pick than LJ. I'm looking at factors to he;p make my decision. And OL/coaching factors are greatly in SA's favor.
to me it's not about who's production will drop more. will LJ's production as a starter drop enough to put him below Alexander? 32.7 ppg (ppr) over his 9 starts vs. 23.7 ppg for Alexander last year. i've got about a 30% drop for LJ, and about a 10% drop for Alexander, which still has LJ on top.
The 9 game sample for LJ is another good point. We don't know how LJ will last over the course of a full season. We know how SA and LT handle a full season.
would it honestly make a big difference to you if, over the course of a 336 carry season, a RB averaged 21 carries over all 16 games, rather than average 10.7 carries over 7 games, and 29 carries over 9 games?I guess I just don't see that big of a difference :shrug:

I think Portis will set the new record. I have him with 32 TDs this year rushing and 5 receiving.
HOLY SH :shock: :shock: TThat is an EXTREMELY BOLD prediction. I venture to say that is more bold than the early 2000yards rushing predictions that were going on for a while with LJ. That brings me to another question...how many of you would actually take Portis #1 if you had it? I know in one of my leagues we can't trade picks. I just can't see that many TD's for the guy. I have him projected with 18 total TD's which puts him at #3 for me. I know I project a bit high for TD's but I have no doubt that both SA and LJ could get 20 TD's...I can't say that right now about Portis.

I think Portis will set the new record. I have him with 32 TDs this year rushing and 5 receiving.
HOLY SH :shock: :shock: TThat is an EXTREMELY BOLD prediction. I venture to say that is more bold than the early 2000yards rushing predictions that were going on for a while with LJ. That brings me to another question...how many of you would actually take Portis #1 if you had it? I know in one of my leagues we can't trade picks. I just can't see that many TD's for the guy. I have him projected with 18 total TD's which puts him at #3 for me. I know I project a bit high for TD's but I have no doubt that both SA and LJ could get 20 TD's...I can't say that right now about Portis.
A RB getting 20 TD's in an offense with a respectable passing game and a solid o-line is not an incredible achievement. Even better, the team also has a good defense. What about the Washington offense (or entire team, if applicable) makes you unable to say that Portis can reach 20 TD's?

A RB getting 20 TD's in an offense with a respectable passing game and a solid o-line is not an incredible achievement. Even better, the team also has a good defense. What about the Washington offense (or entire team, if applicable) makes you unable to say that Portis can reach 20 TD's?
Call me skeptical, but I don't see the addition of Saunders, Lloyd and Randel El adds up for a 50% increase in TD's for Portis. The best argument so far is the easy schedule. So I may concede 18-19 TD's but I don't think I will draft him over someone who has gotten 20+ TD's in two consecutive seasons or a running back that got 21 TD's last year. Sorry. Also, Lj had the most carries last year for any chiefs RB's in the last 5 years with 336. I think Saunders likes to limit the carries of his primary RB.

Call me skeptical, but I don't see the addition of Saunders, Lloyd and Randel El adds up for a 50% increase in TD's for Portis. The best argument so far is the easy schedule. So I may concede 18-19 TD's but I don't think I will draft him over someone who has gotten 20+ TD's in two consecutive seasons or a running back that got 21 TD's last year. Sorry. Also, Lj had the most carries last year for any chiefs RB's in the last 5 years with 336. I think Saunders likes to limit the carries of his primary RB.
Fair enough, and I'm certainly not predicting 20, but I just don't see how you can confidently rule that out either. As for Saunders "limiting carries", I don't see it. 300 rushes in a season tends to get you into the top ten in rushing attempts. Saunders' RB's did that every year for him when he was in KC except for 2004, when Priest had a lot of injury problems, which means that Priest ranked 5th, 7th & 9th from 2001 through 2003; LJ ranked 7th last year. Am I missing something?

Fair enough, and I'm certainly not predicting 20, but I just don't see how you can confidently rule that out either. As for Saunders "limiting carries", I don't see it. 300 rushes in a season tends to get you into the top ten in rushing attempts. Saunders' RB's did that every year for him when he was in KC except for 2004, when Priest had a lot of injury problems, which means that Priest ranked 5th, 7th & 9th from 2001 through 2003; LJ ranked 7th last year. Am I missing something?
Not really, my top 4 RBs are within 30FP's of each other so it is pretty close. I personally wouldnt' draft Portis at #1 when there are other RB's there that have gotten 20+ TD's and have a good chance to do it again this year.

Portis should not even be mentioned in this thread. Anyone who passes on LJ, SA, and LT2 for Portis must not be playing for money.

Joffer, what kind of increase do you have for Portis? :hey:

Joffer, what kind of increase do you have for Portis? :hey:

21 ppg, about a 25% increase

I'd take Alexander #1. He lost his best O-Guard and LJ lost his best O-Tackle, A new QB could mean 8-9 in the box for LT. SA plays Arizona, SF and SD in the fantasy playoffs. LJ has Balt, SD and Oakland. LT has Denver, KC and Seattle. This is a huge advantage to SA in my opinion.
LJ lost 2 linemen and his fullback, not to mention HC and OC. SA lost 1 lineman, not even the best lineman on the team, and still keeps 2 probowlers on the line with a probowl FB (and QB) returning also to a high scoring system they all know like the back of their hands.I'd never considered taking SA #1 until last week with some PMs from the Dude. I think my bias against his weaknesses as an NFL back on MY team kept me from considering it. I'm leaning towards him now. I just don't know enough about Rivers and their line to feel comfortable with LT as #1. I'll most likely take SA (as of now, draft in 1 week) as I think he's the safest bet to stay in the top 3 at season's end. I do think that LJ has the most upside of the 3 and I may well regret it if I take SA. But LJ also carries the most risk, being a new full time starter and RB1 for the Chiefs.
I hope you don't take Alexander #1 because of my arguments. I just truly believe he may be the safest pick this year. I think it is a lot easier ranking LJ #1 if you don't have a chance to pick him.

I'd take Alexander #1. He lost his best O-Guard and LJ lost his best O-Tackle, A new QB could mean 8-9 in the box for LT. SA plays Arizona, SF and SD in the fantasy playoffs. LJ has Balt, SD and Oakland. LT has Denver, KC and Seattle. This is a huge advantage to SA in my opinion.
LJ lost 2 linemen and his fullback, not to mention HC and OC. SA lost 1 lineman, not even the best lineman on the team, and still keeps 2 probowlers on the line with a probowl FB (and QB) returning also to a high scoring system they all know like the back of their hands.I'd never considered taking SA #1 until last week with some PMs from the Dude. I think my bias against his weaknesses as an NFL back on MY team kept me from considering it. I'm leaning towards him now. I just don't know enough about Rivers and their line to feel comfortable with LT as #1. I'll most likely take SA (as of now, draft in 1 week) as I think he's the safest bet to stay in the top 3 at season's end. I do think that LJ has the most upside of the 3 and I may well regret it if I take SA. But LJ also carries the most risk, being a new full time starter and RB1 for the Chiefs.
I hope you don't take Alexander #1 because of my arguments. I just truly believe he may be the safest pick this year. I think it is a lot easier ranking LJ #1 if you don't have a chance to pick him.
:goodposting: :goodposting: Wow -- that's dead on right there, lebowski. I drooled over LJ for the past few months, and now I've actually landed the #1 pick in my main league. Although I'd take LJ if my draft was right now, I am second guessing and thinking about SA as the safest pick available. And reading Wood's awesome spotlight on SA doesn't help make my decision to take LJ any easier. ;)

It will be very close between the three players. But to me, when it's this close, it comes down to one decisive tie-breaker:

schedule, schedule, schedule

Sean Alexander and Seattle's schedule is just sooooo soft.

And if I'm forced to decide between these three guys, I err towards schedule.

I was thinking about it a little today and I was thinking that Turner being LT's back-up is a good argument for LT (if you believe in the whole handcuffing thing). The two things that scare me the most about LT though are his extremely tough schedule and his durability. I agree with bocksheesh that when it is this close you may have to look at schedule.

At the 2/3 turn, I really want to (and think I will be able to) double up on WRs and take 2 out of Holt, CJ, Owens, Smith, Marvin, Fitz, and RMoss. So if I have to wait until the 4/5 turn to take my RB2, then I really think SA is the surest bet amongst the Big 3 and I would lean towards SA. Make sense to anyone?

Of the Big 3 (or 4, if you include Portis), LJ is the only one with a new head coach and a new offensive coordinator. Food for thought.

Of the Big 3 (or 4, if you include Portis), LJ is the only one with a new head coach and a new offensive coordinator. Food for thought.
and the only one who scored 29.7 ppg as a starting RB last year.
Yes. Lets play this year with LAST years stats. :mellow: Seriously though, of the big 3 (or 4), I believe LJ is the LEAST safe pick. Everyone has their opinions, and this thread could go on forever debating who should be taken at #1. Bottom line, we wont know till the dust settles in early 2007.But keep it going folks, makes for some interesting reads. I love these threads as drafts get closer. :thumbup:

Yes. Lets play this year with LAST years stats. :mellow: Seriously though, of the big 3 (or 4), I believe LJ is the LEAST safe pick. Everyone has their opinions, and this thread could go on forever debating who should be taken at #1. Bottom line, we wont know till the dust settles in early 2007.But keep it going folks, makes for some interesting reads. I love these threads as drafts get closer. :thumbup:
i brought it up only to remind everyone how LJ has to fall from last year's production to NOT be the #1 RB this year.

i brought it up only to remind everyone how LJ has to fall from last year's production to NOT be the #1 RB this year.
I know that...it was more of a bump than anything else...I read alot of your posts and enjoy em :thumbup:

lebowski said:
I was thinking about it a little today and I was thinking that Turner being LT's back-up is a good argument for LT (if you believe in the whole handcuffing thing). The two things that scare me the most about LT though are his extremely tough schedule and his durability. I agree with bocksheesh that when it is this close you may have to look at schedule.
And not only does Seattle have a relatively easy schedule once again, but KC and San Diego in particular have difficult schedules.There's a big difference there.

Professor said:
At the 2/3 turn, I really want to (and think I will be able to) double up on WRs and take 2 out of Holt, CJ, Owens, Smith, Marvin, Fitz, and RMoss. So if I have to wait until the 4/5 turn to take my RB2, then I really think SA is the surest bet amongst the Big 3 and I would lean towards SA. Make sense to anyone?
I'm in a 14 team league and I doubt two or any of those WRs will be available at the turn. If they are I will go 2 x WR ... but it should be interesting who my RB2 will be. :unsure: I will take a QB only and only if Peyton is available :no:

Professor said:
I'm in a 14 team league and I doubt two or any of those WRs will be available at the turn. If they are I will go 2 x WR ... but it should be interesting who my RB2 will be. :unsure: I will take a QB only and only if Peyton is available :no:
... and I forgot. I will take a TE (Gates) if those WRs are not available.

Professor said:
I think you would be looking more at Boldin, Chambers, Wayne and Ward at that point. Would you still do it.

Was wondering if someone can tell me what injuries LT has had the last couple years and opinions on whether he is injury prone at this point in his career?

I'm in the same boat. I landed the #1 in our 14 team league, which is Very competetive (this will be our 12th year together). For picks 2-3, I just need to take the best available. I'm hoping for a decent RB & WR, but will adjust accordingly.

In a PPR league I think you have to take a look at Steve Smith, honestly int he top five.I think the top three RB spots can go either direction and you would be right.My top five goes like this though....#1 Clinton Portis- New o-coordinator will get the ball in this guys hands more than ever before. I am expecting LT type numbers from this guy and if I had the #1 pick, I would really consider taking him.#2 Larry Johnson- No one has more upside than him. He will dominate again this year but I haven't seen him finish an entire season as the starter. Not really worried though.#3 Shaun Alexander- Please explain to me what is going to happen now that he has a big fat contract and a super bowl apperance under his belt. #4 LT- Rivers is the QB. My only worry. I still think that you can't go wrong with any of these four.
Most people have 5 players in their top 5. Where's your number 5, Du Mas?

Player Name Year Week Status Details

Ladainian Tomlinson 2005 16 Questionable Chest

Ladainian Tomlinson 2005 15 Questionable Chest

Ladainian Tomlinson 2005 14 Questionable chest

Ladainian Tomlinson 2004 11 Probable groin

Ladainian Tomlinson 2004 9 Probable groin

Ladainian Tomlinson 2004 8 Probable groin

Ladainian Tomlinson 2004 7 Probable groin

Ladainian Tomlinson 2004 6 Probable groin

Ladainian Tomlinson 2004 5 Probable groin

Ladainian Tomlinson 2004 3 Probable toe

Ladainian Tomlinson 2003 17 Probable

Ladainian Tomlinson 2003 5 Probable

Ladainian Tomlinson 2001 13 Probable

Ladainian Tomlinson 2001 9 Probable

Ladainian Tomlinson 2001 8 Probable

Ladainian Tomlinson 2001 3 Probable

Thanks for the info but it is a little vague. What was wrong with his chest? Looks like he missed one game in 2004. Were these freak injuries that could happen to anyone or is he becoming injury prone. One nice thing is that he played through it for the most part.

You can credibly argue that any of the Big Four - LT, LJ, Alexander, and Southest Jerome - could end up as the #1 after this season. I like the strategy of trading down to the #4 spot given that none of those guys should suck this year. I will say though that the guy I worry most about is LJ. I just am not a Herm Edwards fan, and of the four RB's he's the only new head coach (with a new coordinator) coaching one of them. It doesn't help that Roaf retired either.
Yes, it is true than Lawrence Tynes could be the biggest (fantasy) beneficiary of Herm's arrival. But at least Martin was still able to win the rushing titile under him

You can credibly argue that any of the Big Four - LT, LJ, Alexander, and Southest Jerome - could end up as the #1 after this season. I like the strategy of trading down to the #4 spot given that none of those guys should suck this year. I will say though that the guy I worry most about is LJ.

I just am not a Herm Edwards fan, and of the four RB's he's the only new head coach (with a new coordinator) coaching one of them. It doesn't help that Roaf retired either.
Yes, it is true than Lawrence Tynes could be the biggest (fantasy) beneficiary of Herm's arrival. But at least Martin was still able to win the rushing titile under him
Yes, on a team that was in the lower 3rd of the league in passing attempts, completions, yards and TD's. KC has a lot more to work with there, and that Jets squad BTW was playing some downright rotten divisional competition in Buffalo and pre-Saban Miami, and that also had Cleveland, SF, Houston and Arizona on it schedule. I'm not predicting gloom and doom for LJ this year. The guy's still a stud and I have him no worse than 4th overall. It's just never ideal when a new regime comes in given the necessary transition period, particularly when the offensive coordinator responsible for the success of that offense is no longer there, so I think that it's very reasonable to predict a downturn for KC's offensive players.

Last edited by a moderator:

Yes, on a team that was in the lower 3rd of the league in passing attempts, completions, yards and TD's. KC has a lot more to work with there, and that Jets squad BTW was playing some downright rotten divisional competition in Buffalo and pre-Saban Miami, and that also had Cleveland, SF, Houston and Arizona on it schedule. I'm not predicting gloom and doom for LJ this year. The guy's still a stud and I have him no worse than 4th overall. It's just never ideal when a new regime comes in given the necessary transition period, particularly when the offensive coordinator responsible for the success of that offense is no longer there, so I think that it's very reasonable to predict a downturn for KC's offensive players.
oh, i agree. i'm probably not taking him. still trying to get a handle on the top three.

Everyone is going to take one of the top three RBs with the first pick, and most likely follow it up with RB/WR combo at the turn (maybe some WR/WR or RB/RB if great value is there) and should results in some great players for your team.

My issue comes in the 4.12/5.01 pick. I was doing a mock draft using the draft dominator, and there was just not many players to be excited about at that spot....and I had to pick 2.

At that point I had picked RB/RB/WR (my league uses a basic 1/2/2/1/1/1 lineup).

The top WRs were DBranch, Housh, Kennison, DMason

The top RBs were Bell (Tatum or Mike), FGore, TJones, Rhodes, Addai

The top QBs were Hasselbeck, EManning, Bulger,McNabb

The top TEs were Gonzalez, Heap, Crumpler

I normally don't draft QBs and TEs until late, so I was definitely aiming for best RBs and/or WRs with these picks, but like I said there is not much to be excited about.

For this mock I ended up picking Hasselbeck and Housh. I just thought the available QBs gave so much more value than the RBs and WRs.

The other picks I was contemplating was going RB combo with either Rhodes/Addai or Jones/Benson (using the back-to-back picks), as one of them will most likely develop to be a solid starter, but I felt that would leave me pretty thin at WR....and you are using up two pretty high picks for one RB.

Anyone else have any concerns or strategies for what they are going to do with the 4.12/5.01 picks?

My issue comes in the 4.12/5.01 pick. I was doing a mock draft using the draft dominator, and there was just not many players to be excited about at that spot....and I had to pick 2. At that point I had picked RB/RB/WR (my league uses a basic 1/2/2/1/1/1 lineup). The top WRs were DBranch, Housh, Kennison, DMasonThe top RBs were Bell (Tatum or Mike), FGore, TJones, Rhodes, AddaiThe top QBs were Hasselbeck, EManning, Bulger,McNabbThe top TEs were Gonzalez, Heap, CrumplerAnyone else have any concerns or strategies for what they are going to do with the 4.12/5.01 picks?
I'll probably do another RB/WR. Faced with the picks you outlined, likely Mason, Bell. I'm not a fan of the combo (i.e Rhodes/Addai) strategy.

I'm also having issues with the 4/5 picks.

I'm in a 12 team league, 1 QB/2 RB/3 WR/1 RB,WR Flex/1 TE/1 K/1 D

My initial instinct was:

1- LJ (I'm not going to get into the Big 3 debate as it's certainly a tough decision).

2/3- 2 of Parker/Droughns/Bush/C Taylor/Dunn, etc.

4/5- 2 of Mason/Galloway/Horn, etc.

6/7- Best WR & RB values

The thing is, the 4/5 WRs aren't all that much better than the 6/7 round ADP WRs (Rod Smith, Evans, Glenn). So what I'm seriously considering is:

1- LJ

2/3- Parker/Droughns, etc & Moss/Boldin

4/5- Take a RB combo- New England, Denver, Chicago, Indy

6/7- 2 of Rod Smith/Evans/Glenn

Part of the reason for this strategy is that I question that the middle tier RBs like Droughns, Bush, C Taylor, Dunn will outproduce the Denver or Chicago starting RB (I love Parker if he makes it to me but I'm lukewarm regarding the others).

The risk is RBBC but those middle tier RBs have questions of their own and the NE, Denver and Chicago starting RBs could seriously outproduce the 3rd round RBs while you pick up a 1st tier WR as a result and 2 WRs in the 6th and 7th rounds that I consider comparable to the 4/5 WRs. It appears to be a safe strategy as the Antsport ADP of Dillon is late 4th but the Denver, Chicago and Indy guys all average the 5th round so one of these potent combos is almost guaranteed to be there. Could also grab Gore and a WR there if he falls but I'm honestly more confortable with both Denver or Chicago guys.

Thoughts?

JSUF - I ended up taking Dillon and MAson at the 4/5. I didn't want to mess with rb combos, though you could argue I took halfof one in Dillon. I'm just not that worried about Maroney hurting him.

tandl71 said:
Any idea why Tomlinson is climbing up to favorite to go at #1 amongst the "experts"?
no expert here...but i'm picking 1st tomorrow and leaning on him...

JSUF said:
I'm also having issues with the 4/5 picks.I'm in a 12 team league, 1 QB/2 RB/3 WR/1 RB,WR Flex/1 TE/1 K/1 DMy initial instinct was:1- LJ (I'm not going to get into the Big 3 debate as it's certainly a tough decision).2/3- 2 of Parker/Droughns/Bush/C Taylor/Dunn, etc.4/5- 2 of Mason/Galloway/Horn, etc.6/7- Best WR & RB valuesThe thing is, the 4/5 WRs aren't all that much better than the 6/7 round ADP WRs (Rod Smith, Evans, Glenn). So what I'm seriously considering is:1- LJ2/3- Parker/Droughns, etc & Moss/Boldin4/5- Take a RB combo- New England, Denver, Chicago, Indy6/7- 2 of Rod Smith/Evans/GlennPart of the reason for this strategy is that I question that the middle tier RBs like Droughns, Bush, C Taylor, Dunn will outproduce the Denver or Chicago starting RB (I love Parker if he makes it to me but I'm lukewarm regarding the others). The risk is RBBC but those middle tier RBs have questions of their own and the NE, Denver and Chicago starting RBs could seriously outproduce the 3rd round RBs while you pick up a 1st tier WR as a result and 2 WRs in the 6th and 7th rounds that I consider comparable to the 4/5 WRs. It appears to be a safe strategy as the Antsport ADP of Dillon is late 4th but the Denver, Chicago and Indy guys all average the 5th round so one of these potent combos is almost guaranteed to be there. Could also grab Gore and a WR there if he falls but I'm honestly more confortable with both Denver or Chicago guys.Thoughts?
My advise...let the draft come to you. I know that sounds cliche', but it's true. I just drafted from the #1 slot in a VERY Rb heavy draft. I took LJ #1 and two top five recievers with my 2 and 3 then the indy RB's with my 4+5. I feel I have one of the best teams in this league. I would have grabbed a RB at the #2 but they were all taken.

Users who are viewing this thread