What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's talk off-season and contracts (1 Viewer)

Linus Scrimmage

Footballguy
C.C. Sabathia is going to get a huge deal this off-season from someone, but who?

Ben Sheets will get a good contract too, but not as much as C.C.

A.J. Burnett should get a nice contract.

Krod? Someone will overpay him.

Manny Ramirez? Is a team really going to give him what he wants and pay him 20+ mil for 4 years?

Mark Teixeira? Another guy looking for a huge contract

Who else you got?

I'd be very surprised to see CC end up anywhere besides the Yankees. And seeing how Burnett dominated the Yankees all year, i wouldn't be surprised to see him end up as a Yankee as well.

C.C. Sabathia is going to get a huge deal this off-season from someone, but who? Yankees

Ben Sheets will get a good contract too, but not as much as C.C. Red Sox

A.J. Burnett should get a nice contract. Cardinals??? Brewers???

Krod? Someone will overpay him.

Manny Ramirez? Is a team really going to give him what he wants and pay him 20+ mil for 4 years? Dodgers will over pay him

Mark Teixeira? Another guy looking for a huge contract White Sox?

Who else you got?

C.C. Sabathia is going to get a huge deal this off-season from someone, but who?Ben Sheets will get a good contract too, but not as much as C.C.A.J. Burnett should get a nice contract.Krod? Someone will overpay him.Manny Ramirez? Is a team really going to give him what he wants and pay him 20+ mil for 4 years?Mark Teixeira? Another guy looking for a huge contractWho else you got?
I'm hoping the White Sox can nab at least one of these names, as they have about 20 million coming of the books that they can spend. Teixeira makes the most sense, assuming Konerko is traded/moved to DH full-time.Sabathia to the Yanks is a lock, hell, they will probably go after Manny as well, if he wants to come back east, of course.What up-coming team would pay huge money for a closer? Arizona? Colorado? Tampa?

Last edited by a moderator:
On the Rays front, they'll be trading either Sonnanstine or Jackson, and maybe Zobrist with them in a package for a RF/DH type or a minor-league hitting prospect. It'll be interesting to see how it plays out. There's very little need for both of them, as Price is clearly ready.

If Anaheim doesnt sign KRod then they will resign Teixiera. Its basically one or the other.

Manny could stay in LA. They will have money coming off the books for Kent $9M, Furcal $13M, Lowe $10M, Nomar $8.5M. thats 40.5 Mill coming off.

Plus Penny: 08:$8.5M, 09:$8.75M club option ($2M buyout)

Proctor: $1.115M and various others under 1 mill a year

40.5 is plenty enough to sign Manny for a couple years. If they go 4 years, next year the books lose A Jones 09:$15M and Schmidt 09:$12M

20-25 mill for Manny, 8 mill for Casey Blake plus money for a pitcher they need to fill out the rotation of Billingsly, Kuroda, Kershaw. unless Penny is healed and stays, plus stults or elbert or the other young pictchers they covet in the minor system.

Burnett wouldnt be a bad option. Just not sheets, he is a penny clone, good when healthy put oft injured.

The Cards just signed Kyle Lohse for 4 years, $41 mil. I'd laugh, but...I'm a Tigers fan...

There have been rumors that Hank Steinbrenner of the Yankees is looking into buying the country of The Dominican Republic.

It wouldn't shock me in the least if the NYM broke the bank for K-Rod
Excellent point! :thumbdown: I hadn't even thought of that.The last 2 years they missed the playoffs because they blew big leads from not having a closer. Wagner is out with Tommy John surgery till 2010.I am convinced whoever signs Krod is not going to get even half of their investment back. I do not trust closers at all. Way to volitile.Other than Mariano Rivera, name a closer in the last 20 years that was dominant for 10+ years and never had 1 down year or lost his mental edge?Mariano is a freak and a lock for the HOF and I am a Red Sox fan.

If Anaheim doesnt sign KRod then they will resign Teixiera. Its basically one or the other.

Manny could stay in LA. They will have money coming off the books for Kent $9M, Furcal $13M, Lowe $10M, Nomar $8.5M. thats 40.5 Mill coming off.

Plus Penny: 08:$8.5M, 09:$8.75M club option ($2M buyout)

Proctor: $1.115M and various others under 1 mill a year

40.5 is plenty enough to sign Manny for a couple years. If they go 4 years, next year the books lose A Jones 09:$15M and Schmidt 09:$12M

20-25 mill for Manny, 8 mill for Casey Blake plus money for a pitcher they need to fill out the rotation of Billingsly, Kuroda, Kershaw. unless Penny is healed and stays, plus stults or elbert or the other young pictchers they covet in the minor system.

Burnett wouldnt be a bad option. Just not sheets, he is a penny clone, good when healthy put oft injured.
You must not be familiar with AJ Burnett.

I don't see anyway that Teixiera does not go to the Yankees.
That would be typical of the yankees to do the wrong thing.The Yankees do not need a bopper at 1st base, if they want to win they need to sign Sheets and CC and no one else. Posada can play 1st next year.Since when has offense won you anything in baseball? Huh Arod?

I don't see anyway that Teixiera does not go to the Yankees.
That would be typical of the yankees to do the wrong thing.The Yankees do not need a bopper at 1st base, if they want to win they need to sign Sheets and CC and no one else. Posada can play 1st next year.Since when has offense won you anything in baseball? Huh Arod?
C.C.-Sheets-Wang-Moose?-Pettitte?-Hughes?-Chamberlain?nice little rotation there...

Mark Teixeira: The gem of the free agent hitters class. 28 year old, switch hitting first baseman who plays solid defense. And he is going to command a ton of money. There are going to be a lot of suitors for him, all with a lot of cash, including the Yankees, Angels, Orioles, and Dodgers.

CC Sabathia: This guy showed me a lot towards the end of the year pitching on 3 days rest several times. He is going to make a mint in Free Agency, but still agreed to pitch on short rest. People seem to think the Yanks have him locked up, but I think the Dodgers are going to be a big player.

AJ Burnett: Very underrated pitcher, who is not going to come cheap. Probably will get 14-17 mile a year. Red Sox could make a play.

Ben Sheets: Awesome pitcher when healthy, but he is not durable at all. Still should get a great deal, but I can't see it being more than 4 years.

K Rod: If Mariano Rivera got all of that $$$ last year, imagine what KROD will command. Young, dominant closer.

Manny: Still one of the best right handed hitters in the game, there aren't many more clutch players. But 20 mil per at his age, and with his lack of defense?

Mark Teixeira: The gem of the free agent hitters class. 28 year old, switch hitting first baseman who plays solid defense. And he is going to command a ton of money. There are going to be a lot of suitors for him, all with a lot of cash, including the Yankees, Angels, Orioles, and Dodgers.CC Sabathia: This guy showed me a lot towards the end of the year pitching on 3 days rest several times. He is going to make a mint in Free Agency, but still agreed to pitch on short rest. People seem to think the Yanks have him locked up, but I think the Dodgers are going to be a big player.AJ Burnett: Very underrated pitcher, who is not going to come cheap. Probably will get 14-17 mile a year. Red Sox could make a play.Ben Sheets: Awesome pitcher when healthy, but he is not durable at all. Still should get a great deal, but I can't see it being more than 4 years.K Rod: If Mariano Rivera got all of that $$$ last year, imagine what KROD will command. Young, dominant closer. Manny: Still one of the best right handed hitters in the game, there aren't many more clutch players. But 20 mil per at his age, and with his lack of defense?
Dodgers wont sign Teixeira. Loney doesnt have his power but hits for ave (.300 with 90 rbis on 15 hrs) and has a good glove at 1B. Plus he is younger.Teix will stay in Anaheim. They wont resign KRod

Yankees have a new stadium to fill right?

they are trying to get 2,500 per game per seat for the luxury seats.

They should sign CC, Sheets, KRod, Manny and Texiera.

What's another 100,000,000 per season onto the payroll going to hurt?

The Cards just signed Kyle Lohse for 4 years, $41 mil. I'd laugh, but...I'm a Tigers fan...
The first two years of that deal are actually pretty good. The last two could strangle a team that's trying to rebuild without rebuilding... and without spending. It almost looks like they re-signed him with the intent of moving him if next season doesn't go the way they want, although I've no idea if there's any kind of no-trade in there. Of course, looking at how the economics seemingly change from year to year anymore, those final two might not look so bad in two years.

The Cards do have a lot of fat falling off the payroll this year. It'll be interesting to see what else they do with it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread