What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Let's Talk Penn State Football (3 Viewers)

That being said, we've been enjoying a great year in the Big 10 ao far with really solid fans. Hope that continues in PA. I've heard I better temper my expectations from your fellow league members. But I think I'll just wait and see.
You'll be fine. Ask Alabama fans how they were treated this year. PSU fans were challenged to out-do Alabama's treatment of them from 2010 and they responded. :thumbup: I just hope you don't mind being stuck in the corner of the south end zone. :bye: :D :football:

Jerry Sandusky?
Hope they skip a trial and just hang him up to the nearest tree
Sandusky, who worked with at-risk children through his Second Mile organization, was charged with seven counts of involuntary deviate sexual intercourse; eight counts of corruption of minors, eight counts of endangering the welfare of a child, seven counts of indecent assault and other offenses."It is also a case about high-ranking university officials who allegedly failed to report the sexual assault of a young boy after the information was brought to their attention, and later made false statements to a grand jury," Kelly said.Prosecutors said all of the young men first encountered Sandusky through Second Mile.A grand jury report, which recommended charges, said the first to come to light was a boy who met Sandusky when he was 11 or 12. The boy received expensive gifts and trips to sports events from Sandusky, and physical contact began during his overnight stays at Sandusky's home, jurors said. Sandusky was banned from the child's school district in Clinton County in 2009, after his mother reported alleged sexual assault to his high school. That triggered the state investigation that culminated in charges Saturday.Kelly said that seven years before that incident, in 2002, a graduate assistant saw Sandusky sexually assault a naked boy, estimated to be about 10 years old, in the locker room of the Lasch Football Building on the Penn State campus. The grad student and his father reported the incident to Paterno, who immediately told Curley, prosecutors said.Curley and Schultz met with the graduate assistant about a week and a half later, Kelly said."Despite a powerful eyewitness statement about the sexual assault of a child, this incident was not reported to any law enforcement or child protective agency, as required by Pennsylvania law," Kelly said. "Additionally, there is no indication that anyone from the university ever attempted to learn the identity of the child ... or made any follow-up effort to obtain more information from the person who witnessed the attack."Sandusky, once considered a potential successor to Paterno, drew up the defenses for the Nittany Lions' national-title teams in 1982 and 1986.The jury said Curley lied when he testified repeatedly that he was never told Sandusky had engaged in sexual misconduct with a child, Kelly said, adding that portions of Schultz's testimony also were not deemed credible by the jury.Penn State president Graham Spanier called the allegations against Sandusky "troubling" but said Curley and Schultz had his unconditional support and he predicted they will be exonerated.

I first heard about the allegations about 6 months ago. They sounded pretty bad, but wow, he's facing 40 different counts of felony and misdemeanor crimes with 8 different boys giving testimony. He's toast and should get life in jail. The thing Im surprised to see is AD Tim Curley and some other PSU high ranking guy charged with perjury.

I fully expect them to get fired and for PSU to basically clean house. JoePa appears to be in the clear as Ive read he notified Curley after someone told him about Sandusky's behaviors, but I wouldnt be surprised if this indirectly leads to Paterno not being around next year. Or maybe this is what keeps him here another 3-4 years as everyone else is gone at PSU :unsure:

Could the NCAA investigate this further and penalize PSU athletics? I dont see how this is in that realm, but who knows. If so, goodbye Urban Meyer.

I first heard about the allegations about 6 months ago. They sounded pretty bad, but wow, he's facing 40 different counts of felony and misdemeanor crimes with 8 different boys giving testimony. He's toast and should get life in jail. The thing Im surprised to see is AD Tim Curley and some other PSU high ranking guy charged with perjury. I fully expect them to get fired and for PSU to basically clean house. JoePa appears to be in the clear as Ive read he notified Curley after someone told him about Sandusky's behaviors, but I wouldnt be surprised if this indirectly leads to Paterno not being around next year. Or maybe this is what keeps him here another 3-4 years as everyone else is gone at PSU :unsure:Could the NCAA investigate this further and penalize PSU athletics? I dont see how this is in that realm, but who knows. If so, goodbye Urban Meyer.
Most people are saying it's out of the NCAA's jurisdiction. Sandusky wasn't a coach at the time so I don't think there is too much they can do, at least before the trial is complete.

Joe wont't want to deal with this so this is his out to retire. Heads will roll and this fd up situation will open the door for new AD and coach to bring own staff on.

Disgusting.

I first heard about the allegations about 6 months ago. They sounded pretty bad, but wow, he's facing 40 different counts of felony and misdemeanor crimes with 8 different boys giving testimony. He's toast and should get life in jail. The thing Im surprised to see is AD Tim Curley and some other PSU high ranking guy charged with perjury. I fully expect them to get fired and for PSU to basically clean house. JoePa appears to be in the clear as Ive read he notified Curley after someone told him about Sandusky's behaviors, but I wouldnt be surprised if this indirectly leads to Paterno not being around next year. Or maybe this is what keeps him here another 3-4 years as everyone else is gone at PSU :unsure:Could the NCAA investigate this further and penalize PSU athletics? I dont see how this is in that realm, but who knows. If so, goodbye Urban Meyer.
Most people are saying it's out of the NCAA's jurisdiction. Sandusky wasn't a coach at the time so I don't think there is too much they can do, at least before the trial is complete.
The charges go back to 1994 and I know for sure 2 of the abused kids are saying '96 and '98 so he was a coach at the time.Still, this strikes me as criminal law and since he isnt currently employed by PSU either, I dont see how the NCAA can bring the hammer down on PSU football

Joe wont't want to deal with this so this is his out to retire. Heads will roll and this fd up situation will open the door for new AD and coach to bring own staff on. Disgusting.
Agreed that I think Joe leaves after this year. I think this will have a big factor, but if PSU can make this season as successful as it currently is right now and with the conference just being re-aligned, its almost a perfect time to leave because of the product on the field/diminished recruiting as well.If we could bring in a top flight coach, Id have no problem as part of his contract/agreement being he brings in his own staff, but why would any intelligent coach get rid of Tom Bradley?

I first heard about the allegations about 6 months ago. They sounded pretty bad, but wow, he's facing 40 different counts of felony and misdemeanor crimes with 8 different boys giving testimony. He's toast and should get life in jail. The thing Im surprised to see is AD Tim Curley and some other PSU high ranking guy charged with perjury.

I fully expect them to get fired and for PSU to basically clean house. JoePa appears to be in the clear as Ive read he notified Curley after someone told him about Sandusky's behaviors, but I wouldnt be surprised if this indirectly leads to Paterno not being around next year. Or maybe this is what keeps him here another 3-4 years as everyone else is gone at PSU :unsure:

Could the NCAA investigate this further and penalize PSU athletics? I dont see how this is in that realm, but who knows. If so, goodbye Urban Meyer.
The charges go back to 1994 and I know for sure 2 of the abused kids are saying '96 and '98 so he was a coach at the time.Still, this strikes me as criminal law and since he isnt currently employed by PSU either, I dont see how the NCAA can bring the hammer down on PSU football
I meant the incident that everyone keeps talking about from 2002 with the GA. Agree that the allegations go back to when he was coach. The only thing I've seen mentioned where anyone else in charge at PSU knew about it was in 2002. I guess we'll see if that turns out to be true or not.

JoePa appears to be in the clear
Really? Paterno was told about the abuse and he never called the police. How is that "in the clear"?
He told school officials (Curley and Schultz) and they didnt tell the police, thats why theyre getting the criminal charges.I think I see what youre saying (why go to them when he cuold go to the police), but if I was in the situation where I found out a longtime co-worker (maybe that I was friends with) and former employee did something along these lines, Id tell my boss first and go from there. Considering the public eye and scrutiny the school and especially Paterno/football program is under, it makes plenty of sense why he would go to school officials instead of going the police himself.

Jesus we used to live 2 doors away from this piece of garbage. Thank God we never let our son spend any time with him. Nice to start a charity for at risk kids as a feeder system for your deviant behavior, Jer. :thumbdown:

Last edited by a moderator:
JoePa appears to be in the clear
Really? Paterno was told about the abuse and he never called the police. How is that "in the clear"?
He told school officials (Curley and Schultz) and they didnt tell the police, thats why theyre getting the criminal charges.I think I see what youre saying (why go to them when he cuold go to the police), but if I was in the situation where I found out a longtime co-worker (maybe that I was friends with) and former employee did something along these lines, Id tell my boss first and go from there. Considering the public eye and scrutiny the school and especially Paterno/football program is under, it makes plenty of sense why he would go to school officials instead of going the police himself.
I'm not out to crucify Paterno, because I do think it's a delicate situation and a bit of a grey area. But the bottom line to me is that "school officials" are NOT the police. If you know about a serious crime that was committed by your assistant*, at your place of business, then you have a responsibility to make sure the police are informed. If you're not going to call the police yourself, then you owe it to society to follow up with those "school officials" to ensure that THEY call the police. Isn't that the right thing to do?At best, Paterno made a bad decision.

edit: turns out that Sandusky was no longer working for Penn State when the 2002 assault took place. That makes Paterno's decision to call Curley (instead of the police) even more questionable, IMO.

This is shocking. I've seen him speak on behalf of Second Mile before and this really is unthinkable.

Off to rot Jerry.

Sickening story. Tarnishes everything about JoePa and the program. Tolerating child rapists? Awful.
I wouldnt go that far.
How far would you go for a guy not reporting a child rapist?
If its found out that Tebow fondles little boy parts, does that hurt Urban Meyer's legacy?? Sandusky wasnt even on the staff when Paterno found out. Paterno did report it, to his school's AD and finance VP who runs the campus police. At some point, I have a feeling Joe may say why he went to school officials instead of directly to the police, but I dont see how this "tarnishes everything about JoePa" or even the program, really. It shows that PSU's guys who called the shots chose to try to protect the school/their jobs more than anything else. It would be pure speculation that other major universities presidents, ADs, VPs etc would do the same when it comes to child molestation, but I think theyd cover it up if it was almost anything lesser.

Sickening story. Tarnishes everything about JoePa and the program. Tolerating child rapists? Awful.
I wouldnt go that far.
If its found out that Tebow fondles little boy parts, does that hurt Urban Meyer's legacy??
If Urban knew about it and didn't call the police then yes. You're strangely odd in this thread.

I wouldnt go that far.
If its found out that Tebow fondles little boy parts, does that hurt Urban Meyer's legacy?? Sandusky wasnt even on the staff when Paterno found out. Paterno did report it, to his school's AD and finance VP who runs the campus police. At some point, I have a feeling Joe may say why he went to school officials instead of directly to the police, but I dont see how this "tarnishes everything about JoePa" or even the program, really. It shows that PSU's guys who called the shots chose to try to protect the school/their jobs more than anything else. It would be pure speculation that other major universities presidents, ADs, VPs etc would do the same when it comes to child molestation, but I think theyd cover it up if it was almost anything lesser.
If you are aware of someone sexually abusing a child and you don't go to the police you are enabling a predator, and that becomes your legacy, AFAIC. I don't care what else you've done.

I wouldnt go that far.
If its found out that Tebow fondles little boy parts, does that hurt Urban Meyer's legacy??
If Urban knew about it and didn't call the police then yes. You're strangely odd in this thread.
Way to delete the rest of my post where I posted actual rationale

Mandatory reporting down? We're talking about a 10yo boy being raped here.
Shouldnt the person who actually saw this happen and possibly testify in court as an eyewitness be the one to alert the cops, not JoePa?
EVERYONE involved is at fault here. There is no, "yeah, but the other guy should have said something" defense. If he knew, he should have gone to the police. No idea how anyone could defend any of the actions of anyone involved in this disgusting mess.

Shouldnt the person who actually saw this happen and possibly testify in court as an eyewitness be the one to alert the cops, not JoePa?
I did a search on the applicable law. I found this law, but I'm not sure if it's the right statute because it seems like it only applies to people who come into contact with children as part of their job. (i.e. teachers, doctors, police officers, etc.)Anyway, this law says that you don't have to call the police; you just have to "notify the person in charge of the institution", and it becomes that person's legal obligation to call the police.

So, JoePa may be off the hook from a legal standpoint.

no. Not a teacher.Google 'mandatory reporting laws'
Is a graduate assistant a teacher? I figured they were a student who volunteered/had a job thru the school. Based on what Joe Summer's last post says (which is what it looks like you were referring to), even if this "graduate assistant" was a teacher, this is a college and they dont deal with "children" or minors as a capacity as their daily job, just like JoePa, so either could have notified the cops. If you disagree and go strictly by the law, than both this assistant's and JoePa did the right thing because they reported it to their insitution. Its not like this graduate assistant is an elementary school teacher, either.

Is a graduate assistant a teacher? I figured they were a student who volunteered/had a job thru the school. Based on what Joe Summer's last post says (which is what it looks like you were referring to), even if this "graduate assistant" was a teached, this is a college and they dont deal with "children" or minors as a capacity as their daily job, so either could have notified the cops.

If you disagree and go strictly by the law, than both this assistant's and JoePa did the right thing because neither of them deal with minors as part of their job. Its not like this graduate assistant is an elementary school teacher.
How can you possibly say this? Read the Grand Jury report and then tell me that any of these people did "the right thing".

Fact is, the only people who know what happened is Sandusky, the kid, and the original accuser, depending on how much they saw at the time. What exactly that person said to JoeP is not known, is it?

Is a graduate assistant a teacher? I figured they were a student who volunteered/had a job thru the school. Based on what Joe Summer's last post says (which is what it looks like you were referring to), even if this "graduate assistant" was a teached, this is a college and they dont deal with "children" or minors as a capacity as their daily job, so either could have notified the cops.

If you disagree and go strictly by the law, than both this assistant's and JoePa did the right thing because neither of them deal with minors as part of their job. Its not like this graduate assistant is an elementary school teacher.
How can you possibly say this? Read the Grand Jury report and then tell me that any of these people did "the right thing".
Read the "mandatory child abuse" law that Joe Summer linked. It says if you come in contact with children as part of your job, you need to immediately notify the person in charge of the insitution/school. Based on this, both the graduate assistant and JoePa did legally all they could do.

Read the "mandatory child abuse" law that Joe Summer linked. It says if you come in contact with children as part of your job, you need to immediately notify the person in charge of the insitution/school. Based on this, both the graduate assistant and JoePa did legally all they could do.
Does that law prevent you from going to the police?Think about this just a little. They didn't do all they could have done. Not even close.

Im not reading thru 23 pages of this crap..where in there does it say anything different from the mandatory child abuse law that JS linked?This changes things a little maybe - Im watching local news right now after the LSU/Bama game. Reporter is saying right now that the person who told Paterno was a GRADUATE STUDENT and that JoePa said he will be testifying AGAINST Sandusky in this trial.

Read the "mandatory child abuse" law that Joe Summer linked. It says if you come in contact with children as part of your job, you need to immediately notify the person in charge of the insitution/school. Based on this, both the graduate assistant and JoePa did legally all they could the bare minimum they were required by law to do.
Fixed that for ya.

This changes things a little maybe - Im watching local news right now after the LSU/Bama game. Reporter is saying right now that the person who told Paterno was a GRADUATE STUDENT and that JoePa said he will be testifying AGAINST Sandusky in this trial.
why does this change anything?this guy continued to prey on little kids after Joe Pa and others in the Penn State administration knew about it and they did nothing? how can anyone defend them?

Does that law prevent you from going to the police?
Yes, and it also says that Curley/Schultz would assume responsibility and legal obligation after being told this

This changes things a little maybe - Im watching local news right now after the LSU/Bama game. Reporter is saying right now that the person who told Paterno was a GRADUATE STUDENT and that JoePa said he will be testifying AGAINST Sandusky in this trial.
why does this change anything?
Based on that law, a student should be legally able to notify police, no?As for JoePa, if he legally could have notified the cops and the 'mandatory reporting law' didnt apply to him, maybe he now realizes he didnt do everything he could have and will testify to do all that he now can to put Sandusky behind bars.

Does that law prevent you from going to the police?
Yes, and it also says that Curley/Schultz would assume responsibility and legal obligation after being told this
No. :no:

why does this change anything?
Based on that law, a student should be legally able to notify police, no?As for JoePa, if he legally could have notified the cops and the 'mandatory reporting law' didnt apply to him, maybe he now realizes he didnt do everything he could have and will testify to do all that he now can to put Sandusky behind bars.
no.mandatory reporting means some people have an obligation to report things like this. typically, this would apply to a teacher or coach.I don't know enough about the graduate student, but seems very unlikely that he'd be a mandatory reporter.

Users who are viewing this thread