What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Lions Ink Henderson to DC spot (1 Viewer)

I realize Marinelli wanted his son-in-law for the job, but Henderson is one damn good consilation prize. The guy completely changed the tenor of the Jets defense these last two years, is a Cover-2 disciple, an ex Bucs coach like Marinelli, and someone who has been linked with more than one head coaching opportunity. :thumbup:

I realize Marinelli wanted his son-in-law for the job, but Henderson is one damn good consilation prize. The guy completely changed the tenor of the Jets defense these last two years, is a Cover-2 disciple, an ex Bucs coach like Marinelli, and someone who has been linked with more than one head coaching opportunity. :thumbup:
DH was not the sole reason for the Defensive turnaround in NY. Before DH we had one of the oldest and slowest teams in football. The emergence of the youngsters and ability for them to sustain a high caliber of play could be more closely linked to the turnaround.DH is not a cover 2 guy, he was raised on aggressive man coverage

DH is not a former Bucs Coach

DH was linked to several coaching vacancies... not always a good thing, speculation in league circles is he isn't ready and might never be. (Sources PFT, SI.com etc)

Not to put the guy down or anything, but he nothing more than a glorified position coach

Career highlights: In his first year as the Jets' coordinator in 2004, the team ranked seventh in the NFL in total defense. This season, they fell to 12th as the entire team took a big step backward. . . . Previously, Henderson spent five years as a secondary coach with the Baltimore Ravens, who boasted one of the NFL's top defensive backfields over that time. . . . Previous coaching stops include the University of Houston (1998), Arizona State (1992-97), the University of California (1990-91), the University of Idaho (1989) and Utah State (1983-88). Background: The Baltimore native went to high school in Los Angeles, and played cornerback at Santa Monica Junior College and Utah State, where he earned first team All-PCAA honors as a senior. He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 1980 but did not play in the NFL.
I didn't think he was a Tampa coach and I agree that calling him a "cover 2 disciple" is probably unwarranted. Ted Cottrell coached under Herm Edwards for a couple years too, but nobody gives him that label. Due to his time in Baltimore, I imagine Henderson's defensive system would be more similar to the ones implemented by Marvin Lewis and Jack Del Rio than Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith.I do think he's a good coach though and a very good hire. The Lions have some young talent to work with on defense and he did a great job working with young players in New York (Vilma, Robertson, Coleman, Rhodes).

Last edited by a moderator:
Career highlights: In his first year as the Jets' coordinator in 2004, the team ranked seventh in the NFL in total defense. This season, they fell to 12th as the entire team took a big step backward. . . . Previously, Henderson spent five years as a secondary coach with the Baltimore Ravens, who boasted one of the NFL's top defensive backfields over that time. . . . Previous coaching stops include the University of Houston (1998), Arizona State (1992-97), the University of California (1990-91), the University of Idaho (1989) and Utah State (1983-88).

Background: The Baltimore native went to high school in Los Angeles, and played cornerback at Santa Monica Junior College and Utah State, where he earned first team All-PCAA honors as a senior. He was drafted by the Detroit Lions in 1980 but did not play in the NFL.
I didn't think he was a Tampa coach and I agree that calling him a "cover 2 disciple" is probably unwarranted. Ted Cottrell coached under Herm Edwards for a couple years too, but nobody gives him that label. Due to his time in Baltimore, I imagine Henderson's defensive system would be more similar to the ones implemented by Marvin Lewis and Jack Del Rio than Tony Dungy and Lovie Smith.
Dead on! here's a blurb from the NY Daily News:Sept. 24, 2004, NY Daily News: It's premature to call this a philosophical clash, but it's a topic of internal conversation. Edwards said they've already conducted a "big discussion" on the matter.

"We're going to be aggressive," Henderson said. "That's what I'm used to, that's what (the players) want to do, so let's go do it. Go back and look at what I did in Baltimore; that's what we did. If we get beat, we get beat.

"The slow death is what I don't like. If you get beat for 81 yards, let it be on one play, not 18 plays."

Henderson emphasized that he's not going to take any "stupid" chances. But he told his players to expect high-octane game plans.

"I told the guys, from here on out, we'll be playing man-to-man," he said. "There won't be too much zone. You take your cat and we'll find out who beats who."

Last edited by a moderator:
"The slow death is what I don't like. If you get beat for 81 yards, let it be on one play, not 18 plays."
He must have hated this year.The Jets D was on the field more than any other team in the league.

Wow...somewhere along the way I thought Donnie Henderson was the secondary coach in Tampa. Color me dead wrong...I still contend he brought a tenor to the Jets defense that was missing prior to his taking over.

Great first year, mediocre second year. Yes, the defense was on the field for a long time, but they couldn't stop the run, nor get pressure on the QB. Before they could get tired (excuse), the other teams always drove the field on the opening drive.They played very passively this year. Seldom a blitz or stunt. Soft over the middle. Not a bad year, but perhaps the most disappointing part of last season. Don't forget all the "we put hats on people" Super Bowl Ravens- type hype in the preseason.

And on the other side of the ball, the Lions have also been talking to Cincinnati Bengals receivers coach Hue Jackson about possibly filling their offensive coordinator job.

Users who are viewing this thread