What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

live Grateful Dead (1 Viewer)

04/17/71

Dillon Gym, Princeton University - Princeton, NJ

If you're a Pigpen fan..."Sold, the Brooklyn Bridge"

Last edited by a moderator:
This site is awesome, Click Here has a zillion GD recordings that can be downloaded. Click on "g" in the alphabet line on lower left. I have pulled a ton of Neil Young stuff from there.

eta: click "view set list" to see the songs and some background on the recording

Www.unclejohnsband.com. check out these guys they just started live streaming. They have been covering GD in Tampa area for years.

Oh man. Listening to that Scarlet--->Fire from Cornell, for the millionth time. So ####### good. :banned: For those who don't know. Listenhttp://archive.org/details/gd77-05-08.maizner.hicks.5002.sbeok.shnf
NFA and Dew from that Cornell show are not to be missed either.

I'm not a fan of Grateful Dead...

But their live rendition of Peggy-O is one of my favorite songs eva:

I'm not a fan of Grateful Dead...

But their live rendition of Peggy-O is one of my favorite songs eva:

Oof. That's hard to watch. Everything to do with Jerrys guitar is grim. I just see the most beautiful artist ever dying. Nice vocal delivery as was generally the case in those last couple years, but his carpal tunnel and tone make these shows unlistenable for me. Dig up an '89 or'90 Peggy-O if you like the pace of this one. The '70s versions tend to drag a bit.

Got home from work tonight and my "Road Trips vol. 2 no. 1" had arrived. MSG Sept. 1990. Basically the 19th and 20th mashed up into a 2-disc set. I've been looking for the 20th and it seems its not readily available from my usual sites (Traders Den, Dime, etree). So I splurged and bought this release.

Post-drums from the 20th is on youtube, but I don't see the start of set 2. Post-drums is where its at anyway. A full Dark Star with a Playin' reprise (reprised from the 19th) sandwiched between the 2 verses.

1994-04-07 is well worth a listen as well. 22 min "Eyes" and an equally long "Terrapin".

Enjoy!

Not a Dead guy, but came across this show today doing a search:http://archive.org/details/gd80-10-13.acoustic-sbd.munder.13064.sbeok.shnfApparently there was some big planetary alignment on that date.

Damn Donna Jean completely ruins a bunch of the songs that she is on. Did the dead never go back and listen to their shows? She is out of tune literally every song she pops up on and most of the time the mix is so screwed up her vocals are above the music.Holy hell what was the dead thinking letting her sing?

Damn Donna Jean completely ruins a bunch of the songs that she is on. Did the dead never go back and listen to their shows? She is out of tune literally every song she pops up on and most of the time the mix is so screwed up her vocals are above the music.

Holy hell what was the dead thinking letting her sing?
Yeah the Donna & Bobby scream-fests can be a bit harsh on the ears. I've heard some excuses made for her that sometimes her monitor mix was wasn't right and she couldn't always hear herself...dunno. I just make sure I'm ready to turn the volume down at certain points.

Damn Donna Jean completely ruins a bunch of the songs that she is on. Did the dead never go back and listen to their shows? She is out of tune literally every song she pops up on and most of the time the mix is so screwed up her vocals are above the music.

Holy hell what was the dead thinking letting her sing?
Yeah the Donna & Bobby scream-fests can be a bit harsh on the ears. I've heard some excuses made for her that sometimes her monitor mix was wasn't right and she couldn't always hear herself...dunno. I just make sure I'm ready to turn the volume down at certain points.
This. The story goes that she could never hear herself in her monitor. If you listen to quieter songs like when she did Sunrise or the duet with Weir on Looks Like Rain, she's generally in tune. She sang on Elvis' Suspicious Minds; she could sing. These days the only time it bugs me is the moaning during the Playin in the Band jam and then the screaming coming out of it feeding into the reprise. And then towards the end of GDTRFB. But I actually like the wail behind Jerry on the "goodbye mama and papa" verse in Ramble on Rose. The Closing of Winterland is my favorite version and that has an epic wail. I like her delivery of the "there's a band out on the highway" verse in Music Never Stopped.

Lucky enough to have caught the last few years - hardly indicative of what it must have been in the late '70's, but better than folks even 5 years younger than I who never saw a show live.Best experience had to be a show in '92 (or so) in Tempe (I think - some natural ampitheater). While the song was cliche - Box of Rain - it was a sweltering desert afternoon, and suddenly a rain storm came barreling in. It was AWESOME. Dropped 20 degrees through a warm, yet cooling rain and they whipped up the song. Then they played something, wish I remembered what but hardly a deadhead here, that they hadn't played in years and the crowd went absolutely ballistic.Didn't hurt that is had a cutie with me for company and we ditched our crew.

Wow...didn't know this was out there.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUk46KcVtIw&feature=youtu.beI saw the Tempe run in '92. Firebird Lake on the Gila River Indian Reservation. That was great fun. Though I think your mind's playing tricks on you as Box of Rain was not played and the rain stopped the night before the shows. Epic storm that kept a lot of people who saw Denver from getting down in time for the first night because of all the road closures at higher elevations. But the weather for both shows was perfect, with Sunday being an afternoon show. And the song you're referring to that was played the second night that hadn't been played in almost 20 years was Here Comes Sunshine. I had an Econ final the next morning at seven, after a seven hour drive. Studied with a headlamp the entire drive back. Great times.

Wow...didn't know this was out there.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUk46KcVtIw&feature=youtu.beI saw the Tempe run in '92. Firebird Lake on the Gila River Indian Reservation. That was great fun. Though I think your mind's playing tricks on you as Box of Rain was not played and the rain stopped the night before the shows. Epic storm that kept a lot of people who saw Denver from getting down in time for the first night because of all the road closures at higher elevations. But the weather for both shows was perfect, with Sunday being an afternoon show. And the song you're referring to that was played the second night that hadn't been played in almost 20 years was Here Comes Sunshine. I had an Econ final the next morning at seven, after a seven hour drive. Studied with a headlamp the entire drive back. Great times.
Certainly had mind games a number of times at Dead Shows and yeah - Here Comes Sunshine. But I swear we got rained on - it was brief, but cooled things off big time. (Or so I remember? :thumbup: )Had a drive back to LA after too... that was fun.

3/19/77

03/19/77

Winterland Arena - San Francisco, CA

Set 1:

Bertha

Mama Tried

Loser

Big River

They Love Each Other

Looks Like Rain

Tennessee Jed

Estimated Prophet

Terrapin Station

Playin' In The Band

Samson And Delilah

Playin' In The Band

Set 2:

Eyes Of The World

Dancin' In The Streets

Wharf Rat

Franklin's Tower

Sugar Magnolia

Encore:

One More Saturday Night

Uncle John's Band

Odd that they encored with UJB 2 nights in a row.

Wow...didn't know this was out there.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vUk46KcVtIw&feature=youtu.be
:excited: good find. sweet
How great is that? The entire band was tripping for the eclipse set. Weir recently said at one of his Weir Here things that they didn't know that eclipse was happening until they got there. That's nuts. And Jerry couldn't risk customs with his persian, so had to make do with percocets and was probably half-detoxing. Still dosed. Dude was a ####ing viking among vikings. Love seeing Bill Graham along for the ride, having no vested interest in any of it. Just there as a fan and friend.

Anyone going to any Warren Haynes, Jerry Garcia Symphonic Celebration Tour shows? Thinking about going to Pitt to meet my brother for the show.

More from Terrapin this last weekend - this set is a scorcher

1991-09-20 Boston Garden

Bruce:

"At the end of the set I went into Garcia's tent and he says, 'Man, I love the way you're playing tonight!' And I said, 'Garcia, I'm playing bull #### tonight. I'm playing crap, but it's all I can do because there's nothin' happening here and I really resent your coming to this gig and not putting anything into it,' or words to that effect. And he said 'Well, man, you don't understand twenty-five years of burnout!'"

A pretty nice 2nd set ensues.

Love whenever this thread comes back to the top! Love that comment from Bruce Hornsby; forgot he sat in with them.

i had a friend who was huge dead head in my 20s, he used to play me bootlegs constantly, but i was more into jazz at the time... it was years later, watching the grateful dead movie, while listening to eyes of the world, that something clicked, and i "got it".

the '77 period seems to be one of the more popular ones (along with '72-'74)...

i just ordered the 15,000 limited edition may '77 box ($140)... i think it was just released about 10 days ago, and the site claims about 3,500 left, so going fast, though also available in flac or alac downloadable form ($100). five consecutive shows (14 CDs - 111 songs), more or less shortly after the legendary/ubiquitous 5-8-77 show... they are recorded with HD capability/ceiling, if you have software like DB poweramp or foobar to extract it... on the steve hoffman board thread for this subject, there was some back and forth on whether the actual music itself and/or recordings were better on this, or the previously released smaller 9 CD set, winterland june '77 (not limited, i think, still available at grateful dead site - as is the 9 CD winterland '73 set, both $100)...

http://www.dead.net/may1977

the previous limited edition sets (europe '72 and spring 1990) sold out pretty fast i think, and are commanding pretty high after market prices at amazon and ebay... BTW, the sold out $450 europe '72: complete recordings box set (80+ CDs?), as noted, is or will be avail in a music only version (minus box set extra contents - as also noted, people who weren't in for the deluxe set at that price wouldn't likely be for the stripped version?)... EXCERPTS from the sold out spring 1990 18 disc set can downloaded from one of my favorite sites (lot of cool beatles stuff with alternate takes, studio chatter, etc.), scroll down right side...

http://www.willardswormholes.com/

youtube audio/video from '77, the 12-30 winterland show (2:35 - just started listening/watching, complete show?)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Apkf8vrhAc

cool article from the new yorker... the vast recorded legacy of the grateful dead...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/26/121126fa_fact_paumgarten?currentPage=all

18 years ago today (July 9th, 1995), The Grateful Dead played their final show. It was in Chicago @ Soldier Field, and it was their 2,318th show.

i had a friend who was huge dead head in my 20s, he used to play me bootlegs constantly, but i was more into jazz at the time... it was years later, watching the grateful dead movie, while listening to eyes of the world, that something clicked, and i "got it".

the '77 period seems to be one of the more popular ones (along with '72-'74)...

i just ordered the 15,000 limited edition may '77 box ($140)... i think it was just released about 10 days ago, and the site claims about 3,500 left, so going fast, though also available in flac or alac downloadable form ($100). five consecutive shows (14 CDs - 111 songs), more or less shortly after the legendary/ubiquitous 5-8-77 show... they are recorded with HD capability/ceiling, if you have software like DB poweramp or foobar to extract it... on the steve hoffman board thread for this subject, there was some back and forth on whether the actual music itself and/or recordings were better on this, or the previously released smaller 9 CD set, winterland june '77 (not limited, i think, still available at grateful dead site - as is the 9 CD winterland '73 set, both $100)...

http://www.dead.net/may1977

the previous limited edition sets (europe '72 and spring 1990) sold out pretty fast i think, and are commanding pretty high after market prices at amazon and ebay... BTW, the sold out $450 europe '72: complete recordings box set (80+ CDs?), as noted, is or will be avail in a music only version (minus box set extra contents - as also noted, people who weren't in for the deluxe set at that price wouldn't likely be for the stripped version?)... EXCERPTS from the sold out spring 1990 18 disc set can downloaded from one of my favorite sites (lot of cool beatles stuff with alternate takes, studio chatter, etc.), scroll down right side...

http://www.willardswormholes.com/

youtube audio/video from '77, the 12-30 winterland show (2:35 - just started listening/watching, complete show?)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Apkf8vrhAc

cool article from the new yorker... the vast recorded legacy of the grateful dead...

http://www.newyorker.com/reporting/2012/11/26/121126fa_fact_paumgarten?currentPage=all
Bob, I think all of those May '77 shows are available for free dL at Archive, soundboard quality.

You cannot download soundboards from LMA and they remove all soundboard sources completely once the show gets an official release. The about face the leftovers have done with the tapes has been pretty lame. It's hard to imagine Jerry being cool with it.

Users who are viewing this thread