What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Live sports or sports on TV? (1 Viewer)

If money isn’t an issue and it’s a game I really care about I’d prefer to be there.

If It’s a game I care about and I have the time, I’ll take the bar.

But, money and time are limited so 99.9% of the games I “Watch” are on in the background Most of the game and I’ll watch a few minutes here and there.

Prefer watching from home. I am lucky that the bar I work at does have a nice setup, and I can control what is on. I do have ND football tickets, may go 1-2 times a year. The overall fan experience is just awful now, unless you are connected. Price gouging and boorish behavior of fans is a total turnoff for me now also.

Totally depends on the sport for me.

-I dont love watching baseball anymore, but the experience chilling with a beer and a dog at the ball park is way better than TV. Would love to go to a post-season game some day but never have.

-Basketball, I prefer on TV. Like to be able to see the whole court all the time (plus instant replays) without the idiot in front of me jumping up on every basket.

- Loved going to football games growing up but between the increased price, Metlife messing up Jets tailgating and the Jets being awful I haven't paid for a ticket in a decade (been to a few games in the company box). I'd like to think I'd go if the Jets ever hosted a playoff game but outdoors at metlife in December would be AWFUL.

- Going to US soccer games in person is AWESOME. Prefer that over TV. If I was ever in Europe and had a chance to go to a big stadium I guess I'd go.

-Hockey is way more fun in person, IMO. But I'm not a huge fan of the sport.

- Going to a golf tournament doesn't interest me....with the notable exceptions of the the Masters or Ryder cup. I'll be there when its at Bethpage in a few years. Otherwise, TV all the way.

MLB- in person for sure.

NFL- TV, and it’s not even really close. Though if the park has tailgating (mine don’t not) that does make going far more fun.

NBA- even split. Both are good.

NHL- not much of a fan so don’t watch on TV but going to games is fun.

Agree that it depends on the sport. Baseball and hockey are significantly better in person. Basketball and football are cool to see in person once or twice per season, but for the most part I'd rather watch on TV.

do you prefer watching sports live, at the event?

at home?

at a bar?

why or why not?

(stupid poll. needs @Keerock intervention.)

do you prefer watching sports live, at the event? - Oregon Ducks games, yes. But only 2-3 times a year. Nothing better than college football on a beautiful Saturday in the fall. Nothing.

NFL - Home or bar. Bar with friends on Sunday mornings > home but I usually don't have the luxury of that anymore. I don't plan on ever going to another NFL game live again. Too expensive and the fan behavior at places like Seattle (closest NFL city near me) is abhorrent.

MLB - I enjoy a live game once or twice a summer. I'll watch bits and pieces of it on TV during the season. Playoff MLB on TV is outstanding.

NBA - If I have good seats, a live game is fun but I was spoiled with Blazer season tickets through work for a decade. Going to the games during the week became a chore due to traffic and late night starts. I don't watch a lot of NBA on TV. It might be my least favorite sport these days. NHL playoffs are more entertaining for me than NBA.

Agree with @TLEF316 that it largely depends on the sport. I only go to a couple football games a year anymore - partly just because I'm older but also the presentation of the game is completely designed around television coverage. Baseball at the park is fantastic, especially with the new pitch clock. I'll never watch a baseball game on television before October but go to games every chance I can get. Pro basketball is awesome in person if you're down low. Seeing these athletic freaks up close can't be conveyed through a television screen, whereas being up high in a modern arena absolutely sucks.

I prefer to watch most sports at home. Exceptions:

-- I like to catch an occasional live game. I'll go to a couple baseball games a year, same for hockey, and now soccer as well.
-- If it's a historic event, then I want to be there for the atmosphere. Playoffs/championship games within reason.

Being a season ticket holder for anything doesn't interest me at all. I find that more of a burden, even if it's a team I love and they are doing well.

I prefer to watch most sports at home. Exceptions:

-- I like to catch an occasional live game. I'll go to a couple baseball games a year, same for hockey, and now soccer as well.
-- If it's a historic event, then I want to be there for the atmosphere. Playoffs/championship games within reason.

Being a season ticket holder for anything doesn't interest me at all. I find that more of a burden, even if it's a team I love and they are doing well.

No STL MLS season tickets?

Love going to baseball games because it is such a different experience than watching on TV. I'm always in awe of how green the grass is every time I walk into the ballpark.

Football is the absolute worst sports experience IMHO. You can forget how much down time there is during a football game when you're watching at home while grilling and hanging out with friends.

Hockey is probably my favorite sport to watch live, but I also enjoy watching it on TV and I'm not one of those "I can't see the puck!" people.

Basketball I almost prefer TV, and the outrageous ticket prices to Warriors games only reinforces that.

Soccer is surprisingly a lot of fun live

College baseball is currently what my family is enjoying most. It's very kid friendly and the players will all meet and greet with the kids after the game to sign the foul balls they've collected, and the cost is dirt cheap.

Auto racing is a lot of fun live and it's an experience that simply cannot compare to watching on TV

Home across the board for me. People don't know how to act out in public (especially at NFL games).

2nd would be a sports bar, I guess - but I don't do bars much anymore.

If I were to attend any major sporting events, it would be MLB & college hoops.

You can't beat the atmosphere of a good live football game and the crowd. Ticket prices are insane. I have a classmate that has season tickets to the Vikings and there are a usually a couple games a year that he can't go to. I will usually go to 1 or 2 games a year, and it is nothing to drop 300 by the time you have the ticket, gas (I live 4 hours away so it is either a power trip or an overnight trip), food and drink. That is not even counting hotel if I do stay over night.

I wouldn't mind living closer to go to baseball games. They used to be more boring, but with the new rules, they have become a lot more enjoyable and are cheap entertainment. They Twins had a special a the beginning of the year. For $40 a month you could get into the stadium for every home game. You don't get a seat for that, but there is enough to do around the stadium, you don't need a seat.

It's been years, but the three October NASCAR races I've watched live at Talladega we're all glorious. Tailgate for hours, bright sunshine and high temp around 80, and 43 cars zipping by at 195 mph nut-to-butt.

Last edited:
MLB- in person for sure.

NFL- TV, and it’s not even really close. Though if the park has tailgating (mine don’t not) that does make going far more fun.

What NFL teams are prohibiting tailgating?!

i'll throw it out there. i've got 2 Packers season tickets and would absolutely let a game go for face value. hotels would be a rooster but at least you aren't getting jammed on the tickets.
I would absolutely take you up on this for the Chiefs at Packers game this year.

I'll even bring you a couple slabs of Kansas City ribs.

MLB- in person for sure.

What NFL teams are prohibiting tailgating?!
It not that it’s prohibited (at least not here) it’s just that the parking lot/situation at Sofi isn’t conducive for it.

Totally sport dependent:

• Hockey - Best spectator sport by far. The intensity of playoff hockey is unmatched. I had season tickets to the LA Kings during their Cup runs and I couldn't imagine there being a better sport watching experience than a double OT win to bring home the Cup. It was the highlight of my sport fandom.
  • Baseball - I am a baseball guy. I love watching it in any way. In person is great and in person playoff baseball is a lot more tense than I expected it to be. I probably watch 2-3 games a day most days during the summer. Not full games necessarily but it's on at least one of my TV's in the den (I have a side by side set up) every night.
  • Football - At home. Football viewing is terrible in person. It is built for TV viewing now with all the stoppages and standing around. In person viewing has plusses but they are mostly around the atmosphere of the crowd and not the actual game viewing experience.
  • Basketball - I rarely watch because the game as become hard to watch. If I go to an in person game I need to be near the court or it's like watching on TV. The in person experience needs to be close enough so you can really get a feel for the incredible size and athleticism of the athletes.

I love live sports. I love sports on TV.

If I had to rank my live sports of the 4 majors:

1. Baseball
2. Hockey
3. Basketball
4. Football

TV

1. Football
2. Baseball
3. Hockey
4. Basketball

Post season on tv?

1. Baseball
2. Hockey
3. Football
4. Basketball

Post season live?

1. Hockey
2. Baseball
3. Basketball
4. Football

If money isn’t an issue and it’s a game I really care about I’d prefer to be there.

If It’s a game I care about and I have the time, I’ll take the bar.

But, money and time are limited so 99.9% of the games I “Watch” are on in the background Most of the game and I’ll watch a few minutes here and there.
Same. Summer baseball is great live, but I'd rather go play 9 then take a 6er to my buddies pool house and watch the end of a game rather than spend all 4 of those hours at and around the ball park.

Mostly at home, but I like to go to an NFL game or 2 per season, either to watch my or my wifes team.

Not opposed to watching at a bar once in a while

I enjoy live events in small quantities.
baseball- I enjoy going in person. This is the one sport I could see myself being a season ticket holder if I lived close.
football- Its a fun experience once or twice a year with tailgating and all that. However, the actual game experience isn't that great with all the down time.
basketball- Went to my first nba game in years in January and I wasn't very impressed. Rather watch on tv.
golf- I really enjoyed going to the players championship. Much more enjoyable than on tv.

Wanted to jump in to say Kudos to @mr. furley I DM'ed him about Packer Vikings tickets and it went very smoothly. My daughter wanted to take me to a Game at Lambeau for my 50th birthday because it was on my bucket list. I told her about the tickets mr furley had, She said "can you trust them? It is an internet message board." I told her it is not just any message board it is FBG and I trust the people on here more than I trust someone selling secondary anywhere else.

Probably repeating a lot of what others have said but:

Baseball: Much better in person. Just relaxing. Playoff games similarly more fun.

Hockey: WAAAAAY better in person. The starkest difference for me for sure. I find the puck a challenge to follow on the TV and you can't really see the plays develop like you can in person. Plus, TV doesn't really give somebody a sense of just how fast the players are skating and how hard some of those hits are. Further, the fan experience has improved significantly and a Vegas Knights game may be the best in-person fan experience for any sport period.

Basketball: Better in person with good seats but really not much better than TV with not so good seats. In other words, I'm not going much out of my way to go to a professional basketball game unless I am near the floor or in a box. .

Football: Only sport where I'd absolutely prefer to watch at home. I still am big into fantasy football to the extent I am "working" on lineups the entire morning up until game time then I watched Red Zone exclusively. Obviously when one attends a game, one struggles to set lineups and monitor the other games. About a dozen years ago I vicariously had Cardinals season tix (ex-gf's family had them) and, halfway through the season, I found myself just wishing I was at my place watching the games from my couch with my computer open. Football is sometimes tough to follow live and going to the game itself is just such an ordeal. Plus I agree with GM where I just hate the behavior.

Soccer: I need to get to a heavily-attended MLS or Wold Cup game to comment. I haven't been to a live soccer match in a couple of decades at least.

Golf: Here's a surprising one. For a major, TV is probably better because at live golf you're likely going to post up at a hole or tee box and you really don't know what's happening. But, for a non-major, especially if you're a golfer, go get to a tournament and go get there early. It's surprising how close you can get to the players (especially on the tee boxes) and it's a rare opportunity in sports to watch a professional athlete execute something from a literal few feet away. I'm probably one of the few weird ones who strongly prefers to be at the Waste Management Open sober at like 7 AM so I can watch the guys on the range, be at position A on the respective tee boxes, maybe follow a player for a hole, etc.

Other sports:
- Rugby 7s in Vegas is one of the most fun live sporting events I've attended.
- Poker is boring (it's amazing how more tough it is to watch without knowing hole cards and without just the action hands being highlighted)
- Fishing is a big no either way for me.
- Horse racing is waaay more fun in person, especially if you're betting. Almost hockey-level better. Like hockey, you don't appreciate how fast the horses are going on TV and there's just an excitement in the crowd.
- Motocross - More fun in person. It's just loud.
- Rodeo just isn't my thing but it's more fun in person. I wouldn't opt to watch or go, though.

Users who are viewing this thread