What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looking at perception of 2022 class vs 2023 class at similar juncture (1 Viewer)

menobrown

Footballguy
Slow news cycle, feels a lot longer then a week since the SB, go to mulling some things over since not much to discuss.

I'm thinking for most people the 2022 class exceeded expectations and also for most people the 2023 class looks disappointing based on earlier expectations. Maybe that's how it ends up, the positional strengths of both classes are certainly different, but again just wanted to compare the two at similar points so that maybe we keep an open mind on how deep this class might actually be as well as maybe a flimsy guide for how to value picks.

For this purpose I'm going to use Dane Brugler's top 100 list. For 2022 I'll use the one he put out in February 15th of 2022 and for the 2023 class I'll be using the one he put out February 14th of 2023.

These are from The Athletic so behind a paywall if you are not subscribed but here are the links:

Brugler 2022 top 100 pre-combine

Brugler 2023 top 100 pre-combine

So let's compare and I'll add a few caveats before we do.

Top 100 is relative, relative to other positions. That I can't really account for so if the non-fantasy related portions of a draft are weak or strong that does matter, but I can't really adjust for that-this is just a ballpark guide. Also I view Brugler as best media scout going-as in no actual NFL scouting experience, but he has his share of misses, which is par for the course. I'm all for doing a similar review if anyone has credible 2022/2023 lists from other sources post it. His was just easy to obtain to cross reference both classes and again I think he's pretty good and does get a lot of feedback from NFL teams.

QB's:

2022: 6 in his top 100. 2 1's(barely coming in at 31,32), 3 seconds and one in third round comp range. Average ranking of the 7 was 39.4.
2023: 4 in his top 100, all 1's with an average ranking of 8.5

Commentary: he whiffed badly last year, the league was lower on the QB's then he had them which I think most analyst whiffed on. I'm sure he thought like most that the NFL would push up mediocore QB's but they were not biting. But with QB's no one really cares about depth for fantasy purposes and this class looks considerably stronger at the top with 4 QB's his top 14 vs his highest last year at 31.

RB's:

2022: 5 in top 100, 3 projected as second round picks, the other two in last of the third round range with average ranking of the 5 as 67.6
2023: 10 in top 100, 2 '1s, a two, and 7 thirds. Average ranking of the 10 is 63.1.

Commentary: Those top 10 RB's making Brugler's list don't even include Tucker or McBride who various people have inside their top 5. Some people consider a RB who goes in first 3 rounds as a "premium pick", I have tended to cut that off as around pick 75 but this year some more grace might be given as I think the depth works against them. But that he can omit some of the RB's he did and still have 10 RB's AVERAGE out to being late seconds speaks to the incredible depth of this class! Last year the WR's pushed back the second tier of RB's which created one of the deeper looking RB draft classes in round two of my rookie drafts last year I could recall. This year I expect even more but in this case it won't be because WR's pushed a bunch of them into round two, just the depth spilling over. Most of my drafts, all non-SF so standard PPR, had 3 RB's chosen in round one. That number should spike and still leave behind a rich looking second round, my guess is the richest looking one in the slightly over 10 years I've been playing dynasty.

WR's:

2022- 14 in his top 100, 6 firsts, 2 seconds, 6 thirds. Average ranking of the 6 chosen in round one was 19.5, average ranking of all 14 was 49.42
2023: 13 in his top 100, 4 firsts, 3 seconds, 5 thirds and one in third round comp pick range. Average ranking of the 4 firsts was 23.25, average ranking of all 13 was 56.7

Summary: last year looks in hindsight like a very strong WR year but perhaps it should have looked that way a lot earlier. It's were most agree we are seeing a drop off in the draft and we are, it's the one position out of these 4 we that will look worse compared to last year but at the same time it does not look that terrible and has a solid amount of first/second round rookie draft candidates.

TE:

2022: 4 in his top 100 but highest was player 60. Overall 2 that ranked in second round range, the other two in third and average ranking of the 4 was 68.
2023: 7 in his top 100, the 6th ranked one was almost as high as last years top ranked one checking in at 61. All in all 4 were ranked in first round range, two more in second and combined ranking of those 6 was player 36.6. The 7th was player 100 so in third round comp range and he dragged the overall of the 7 TE's to a 45.7

Summary: this means very little to leagues that don't require a TE and not huge for those non TE premium leagues. For me most of my leagues are TE premium and while TE's have historically been rough early round investments I think in that style of league we'll going to see a lot go early. Maybe picking a TE early is not for you but in this format you'll still benefit from the class because they will push some players back to you. My guess is you'll see 4-6 TE's make up top 24 picks in TE premium leagues.

My conclusion when looking at both of these is this years class looks like it's going to abolish last years class at 3 of the 4 positions. The 4th position is WR and that's the one area that the 2022 projected class wins but if we are talking about how they were projected at this time the gap was not huge and smaller then the gap between any of the other 3 positions. I think some of us might have underrated the quailty of last years WR class but at the same time anyone who was saying the 2022 class projected considerably weaker then the 2023 class projected does not look wrong. I mentioned earlier this might be a flimsy guide to how to value draft picks. This does not really change how I feel about picks in the early to middle round one range, but it sure makes me put a higher regard on seconds and early thirds, especially in TE premium leagues.

Just looking at my own pre-draft notes (2023 will probably change a little after combines and pro days, but at the moment) I'd rank the recent classes since 2018 as:

QB:
1. 2021
2. 2018
3. 2023
4. 2020
5. 2019
6. 2022

RB:
1. 2018
2. 2023
3. 2022
4. 2021
5. 2019
6. 2020

WR:
1. 2020
2. 2021
3. 2022
4. 2019
5. 2023
6. 2018

TE:
1. 2023
2. 2021
3. 2018
4. 2019
5. 2022
6. 2020

Overall skill position value:
1. 2021
2. 2023
3. 2018
4. 2020
5. 2022
6. 2019

I'd agree this is a much better class than last year everywhere but WR. People who dealt picks last year for picks this year, are probably very happy.

Slow news cycle, feels a lot longer then a week since the SB, go to mulling some things over since not much to discuss.

I'm thinking for most people the 2022 class exceeded expectations and also for most people the 2023 class looks disappointing based on earlier expectations. Maybe that's how it ends up, the positional strengths of both classes are certainly different, but again just wanted to compare the two at similar points so that maybe we keep an open mind on how deep this class might actually be as well as maybe a flimsy guide for how to value picks.

For this purpose I'm going to use Dane Brugler's top 100 list. For 2022 I'll use the one he put out in February 15th of 2022 and for the 2023 class I'll be using the one he put out February 14th of 2023.

These are from The Athletic so behind a paywall if you are not subscribed but here are the links:

Brugler 2022 top 100 pre-combine

Brugler 2023 top 100 pre-combine

So let's compare and I'll add a few caveats before we do.

Top 100 is relative, relative to other positions. That I can't really account for so if the non-fantasy related portions of a draft are weak or strong that does matter, but I can't really adjust for that-this is just a ballpark guide. Also I view Brugler as best media scout going-as in no actual NFL scouting experience, but he has his share of misses, which is par for the course. I'm all for doing a similar review if anyone has credible 2022/2023 lists from other sources post it. His was just easy to obtain to cross reference both classes and again I think he's pretty good and does get a lot of feedback from NFL teams.

QB's:

2022: 6 in his top 100. 2 1's(barely coming in at 31,32), 3 seconds and one in third round comp range. Average ranking of the 7 was 39.4.
2023: 4 in his top 100, all 1's with an average ranking of 8.5

Commentary: he whiffed badly last year, the league was lower on the QB's then he had them which I think most analyst whiffed on. I'm sure he thought like most that the NFL would push up mediocore QB's but they were not biting. But with QB's no one really cares about depth for fantasy purposes and this class looks considerably stronger at the top with 4 QB's his top 14 vs his highest last year at 31.

RB's:

2022: 5 in top 100, 3 projected as second round picks, the other two in last of the third round range with average ranking of the 5 as 67.6
2023: 10 in top 100, 2 '1s, a two, and 7 thirds. Average ranking of the 10 is 63.1.

Commentary: Those top 10 RB's making Brugler's list don't even include Tucker or McBride who various people have inside their top 5. Some people consider a RB who goes in first 3 rounds as a "premium pick", I have tended to cut that off as around pick 75 but this year some more grace might be given as I think the depth works against them. But that he can omit some of the RB's he did and still have 10 RB's AVERAGE out to being late seconds speaks to the incredible depth of this class! Last year the WR's pushed back the second tier of RB's which created one of the deeper looking RB draft classes in round two of my rookie drafts last year I could recall. This year I expect even more but in this case it won't be because WR's pushed a bunch of them into round two, just the depth spilling over. Most of my drafts, all non-SF so standard PPR, had 3 RB's chosen in round one. That number should spike and still leave behind a rich looking second round, my guess is the richest looking one in the slightly over 10 years I've been playing dynasty.

WR's:

2022- 14 in his top 100, 6 firsts, 2 seconds, 6 thirds. Average ranking of the 6 chosen in round one was 19.5, average ranking of all 14 was 49.42
2023: 13 in his top 100, 4 firsts, 3 seconds, 5 thirds and one in third round comp pick range. Average ranking of the 4 firsts was 23.25, average ranking of all 13 was 56.7

Summary: last year looks in hindsight like a very strong WR year but perhaps it should have looked that way a lot earlier. It's were most agree we are seeing a drop off in the draft and we are, it's the one position out of these 4 we that will look worse compared to last year but at the same time it does not look that terrible and has a solid amount of first/second round rookie draft candidates.

TE:

2022: 4 in his top 100 but highest was player 60. Overall 2 that ranked in second round range, the other two in third and average ranking of the 4 was 68.
2023: 7 in his top 100, the 6th ranked one was almost as high as last years top ranked one checking in at 61. All in all 4 were ranked in first round range, two more in second and combined ranking of those 6 was player 36.6. The 7th was player 100 so in third round comp range and he dragged the overall of the 7 TE's to a 45.7

Summary: this means very little to leagues that don't require a TE and not huge for those non TE premium leagues. For me most of my leagues are TE premium and while TE's have historically been rough early round investments I think in that style of league we'll going to see a lot go early. Maybe picking a TE early is not for you but in this format you'll still benefit from the class because they will push some players back to you. My guess is you'll see 4-6 TE's make up top 24 picks in TE premium leagues.

My conclusion when looking at both of these is this years class looks like it's going to abolish last years class at 3 of the 4 positions. The 4th position is WR and that's the one area that the 2022 projected class wins but if we are talking about how they were projected at this time the gap was not huge and smaller then the gap between any of the other 3 positions. I think some of us might have underrated the quailty of last years WR class but at the same time anyone who was saying the 2022 class projected considerably weaker then the 2023 class projected does not look wrong. I mentioned earlier this might be a flimsy guide to how to value draft picks. This does not really change how I feel about picks in the early to middle round one range, but it sure makes me put a higher regard on seconds and early thirds, especially in TE premium leagues.
Solid analysis. Appreciate it.

Just looking at my own pre-draft notes (2023 will probably change a little after combines and pro days, but at the moment) I'd rank the recent classes since 2018 as:

QB:
1. 2021
2. 2018
3. 2023
4. 2020
5. 2019
6. 2022

RB:
1. 2018
2. 2023
3. 2022
4. 2021
5. 2019
6. 2020

WR:
1. 2020
2. 2021
3. 2022
4. 2019
5. 2023
6. 2018

TE:
1. 2023
2. 2021
3. 2018
4. 2019
5. 2022
6. 2020

1. 2021
2. 2023
3. 2018
4. 2020
5. 2022
6. 2019

I'd agree this is a much better class than last year everywhere but WR. People who dealt picks last year for picks this year, are probably very happy.
For 1QB, I think the 2nd round on looks much better this year. However, I prefer the 2022 1st round just because of those WR values.

I am looking at ADP from 2022 with what I see as current rankings/ADP for 2023. Now this isn't a totally apples and apples comparison since we don't have the '23 combine or draft but it's the best I've I've got.

1. Breece < Bijan- though they were closer than maybe many are admitting. Both very deserving 1.01s
2. Walker > Gibbs - I really like the PPR upside for Gibbs but there is a real chance due to his size he never gets enough touches to be part of the true elite RB tier
3.London> JSN The size here is the clear separator
4 Wilson> Addison Once again, size is the separator
5. Burks= Quentin Johnston they are really similar prospects
6. Jamo and Olave > ? Hard to even say who should go here for 2023

Then you have the Watson, Skyy Moore, Dotson, Pickens group which I think as a group I prefer to anyone in the '23 class at the moment though a great combine and draft result could bump an individual player or 2 up.

Last edited:
Thanks Meno. Fantastic job and much appreciated. I hate to ask for anything more, but if you have any free time on your hands it would be great to see the names of the players you are referring to. I tend to agree with the conclusions. Here’s how I viewed the 2022 class:

QB - I wasn’t high on the 22 QB class. I’m a big Clemson and ACC fan so I saw Pickett and Howell play quite a bit. I didn’t like Pickett at all and was surprised to see him drafted so high. I liked Howell a lot more. I liked Malik Willis and was surprised he didn’t do very well this year. Might be a situation like Fields where his value only emerges when you utilize his running talents more.

RB - Pretty good class, with a couple of potential superstars at the top. I loved Breece Hall, so much so that I took him the 2nd round of my fantasy draft - a pick no one liked. I also liked Walker.

WR - I loved this WR class, as did the NFL. In the draft, WR’s accounted for one-third of the top 12 picks and one-quarter of the top 54 picks. Not sure if that has ever happened before. It’s been an interesting trend the last 5-10 years seeing how much better the WR’s have gotten. Gone are the days of the “3rd year WR breakout.” We are now seeing them contribute day 1. I think one of the reasons is that Alabama and Ohio State are attracting all the best WR’s, and their NFL style programs have these guys well prepared when they enter the NFL.

I haven’t yet studied the 2023 class. The QB Draft is going to be fascinating. Of the big 3, my current favorite is CJ Stroud. If he has a good O-Line, he will be deadly. I like Bryce Young’s talent, but come on - 5’-10” - 6’0” and less than 200 pounds? No friggin way. The most talked about player in this year’s draft is going to be Will Levis. I’ll be completely honest - I never even heard of him before Mel Kiper’s ranking him #1. What makes that even more bizarre is that the kid grew up and went to high school in the next town over from me in CT. Granted, no one in CT follows high school or college football, but still… I just can’t wrap my head around that. He was only a 3-star recruit coming out of high school. You would think that for him to go from that to the #1 pick in the NFL draft, at some point I would have heard of him. So strange.

QB:
1. 2021
2. 2018
3. 2023
4. 2020
5. 2019
6. 2022

RB:
1. 2018
2. 2023
3. 2022
4. 2021
5. 2019
6. 2020

WR:
1. 2020
2. 2021
3. 2022
4. 2019
5. 2023
6. 2018

TE:
1. 2023
2. 2021
3. 2018
4. 2019
5. 2022
6. 2020

1. 2021
2. 2023
3. 2018
4. 2020
5. 2022
6. 2019

For 1QB, I think the 2nd round on looks much better this year. However, I prefer the 2022 1st round just because of those WR values.

I am looking at ADP from 2022 with what I see as current rankings/ADP for 2023. Now this isn't a totally apples and apples comparison since we don't have the '23 combine or draft but it's the best I've I've got.

1. Breece < Bijan- though they were closer than maybe many are admitting. Both very deserving 1.01s
2. Walker > Gibbs - I really like the PPR upside for Gibbs but there is a real chance due to his size he never gets enough touches to be part of the true elite RB tier

Then you have the Watson, Skyy Moore, Dotson, Pickens group which I think as a group I prefer to anyone in the '23 class at the moment though a great combine and draft result could bump an individual player or 2 up.
The interesting thing too, is we didn't even really get to see arguably the best WR prospect from the 2022 class (Jameson Williams) last year.

I pretty much agree with those valuations, with maybe 2 exceptions. 1 being I think Bijan is a lot better than Hall (I actually preferred Walker to Hall last year) I think Bijan is the best RB since Barkley. The other being I know I'm an outlier on Quentin Johnston, but I like him more than any 2022 WR, but the rest of the class isn't up to snuff to me. Extending that line of thought slightly further you also run into Olave>Flowers, though in my 2 dynasty drafts, Olave fell a lot further than I felt he should have (I got him 1.9 in 1, and I liked him a lot more than Burks)

I think the RB is so much better this year than last year. Last year there was Walker and Hall, and then a drop off to Pierce (imo, as he wasn't the consensus 3rd RB) and then a lot of meh (I wasn't a Cook fan, and guys like Allgeier, Robinson, and Pacheco weren't really expected to be as good as they were) whereas that 3rd tier of RBs (I think Charbonnet and Gibbs are close enough to be tiered together in tier 2) is like 5 guys deep, and they are all on the level of a guy like Pierce in my eyes, and I say that as someone who doesn't really like Zach Evans or Sean Tucker.

Like just using the 2022-2023 draft classes, I'd say:

RB Tier 1:
Robinson
Tier 2:
Gibbs
Walker
Hall
Charbonnet
Tier 3:
Achane
McBride
Bigsby
Miller
Pierce
Spears, I'm expecting the public to come around on him a lot during the process.

WR Tier 1:

Johnston
Williams
London
Wilson
Tier 2:
Addison
JSN
Olave
Flowers
Moore
Pickens
Tier 3:
Dell
Downs
Burks

QB:
1. 2021
2. 2018
3. 2023
4. 2020
5. 2019
6. 2022

RB:
1. 2018
2. 2023
3. 2022
4. 2021
5. 2019
6. 2020

WR:
1. 2020
2. 2021
3. 2022
4. 2019
5. 2023
6. 2018

TE:
1. 2023
2. 2021
3. 2018
4. 2019
5. 2022
6. 2020

1. 2021
2. 2023
3. 2018
4. 2020
5. 2022
6. 2019

Olave and Jameson not making that list?

I pretty much agree with those valuations, with maybe 2 exceptions. 1 being I think Bijan is a lot better than Hall (I actually preferred Walker to Hall last year) I think Bijan is the best RB since Barkley . The other being I know I'm an outlier on Quentin Johnston , but I like him more than any 2022 WR, but the rest of the class isn't up to snuff to me. Extending that line of thought slightly further you also run into Olave > Flowers , though in my 2 dynasty drafts, Olave fell a lot further than I felt he should have (I got him 1.9 in 1, and I liked him a lot more than Burks)

I think the RB is so much better this year than last year. Last year there was Walker and Hall , and then a drop off to Pierce (imo, as he wasn't the consensus 3rd RB) and then a lot of meh (I wasn't a Cook fan, and guys like Allgeier, Robinson , and Pacheco weren't really expected to be as good as they were) whereas that 3rd tier of RBs (I think Charbonnet and Gibbs are close enough to be tiered together in tier 2) is like 5 guys deep, and they are all on the level of a guy like Pierce in my eyes, and I say that as someone who doesn't really like Zach Evans or Sean Tucker.
Thanks, meant to put Jamo in there and slipped my mind. I added him. I totally agree the RB depth is where 2023 will really shine. Plus it is nice to have some viable QB options.

QB:
1. 2021
2. 2018
3. 2023
4. 2020
5. 2019
6. 2022

RB:
1. 2018
2. 2023
3. 2022
4. 2021
5. 2019
6. 2020

WR:
1. 2020
2. 2021
3. 2022
4. 2019
5. 2023
6. 2018

TE:
1. 2023
2. 2021
3. 2018
4. 2019
5. 2022
6. 2020

1. 2021
2. 2023
3. 2018
4. 2020
5. 2022
6. 2019

Olave and Jameson not making that list?
Meant to put them at 6 in their own spot and just slipped my mind. I've updated it.

WR Tier 1:
Johnston
Williams
London
Wilson
Tier 2:
Addison
JSN
Olave
Flowers
Moore
Pickens
Tier 3:
Dell
Downs
Burks
That is a really crazy eval for Treylon. Even if you didn't like his game, he objectively had some special traits and was a 1st round pick.

Then why do you like them? Or do you just mean people will have unrealistic expectations after last year?

Maybe a typo with the RB and WR designations? That sentence doesn't make a ton of sense. Were you going for something different, Penguin?

I think T.Burks is more N'Keal Harry then he is London, Addison, Wilson, Olave etc.
He might be, Harry was also in the conversation as the 1.01 his rookie year. You personally might not have cared for Treylon coming out but there is no doubt he was a level of fantasy prospect and dynasty commodity far greater than Tank Dell or Josh Downs.

WR Tier 1:
Johnston
Williams
London
Wilson
Tier 2:
Addison
JSN
Olave
Flowers
Moore
Pickens
Tier 3:
Dell
Downs
Burks
That is a really crazy eval for Treylon. Even if you didn't like his game, he objectively had some special traits and was a 1st round pick.
Just wasn't a big fan of his game in college and was pretty disappointed by his combine. Big play WRs running 4.55 scares me, as does majority slot players, who don't win with route running. Then he went to the Titans where its really hard to make an impact as a WR. AJ Brown is a significantly better player than Burks is likely capable of being, and still his yardage high with the Titans was 1075 yards, he goes to the Eagles, and he puts up 400+ more. Burks looked exactly like I thought he would as a rookie. I do think he's a better player than Harry ever was. Harry was the weirdest hype train to me. I had him as the WR8 in his draft class, and a 2nd round dynasty pick, so 1.1 was insane.

Wasn't a fan of Watson either, though he exceeded my expectations. Of course now with Rodgers seemingly on the way out, arguably the biggest reason to like Watson could be gone. Dotson always struck me as a solid #2 WR, and he went to a team that likely insured that to be the case going forward.

ETA: I think Downs could be a PPR machine. 90+ catches a year guy, sort of Edelman-esq. Dell looks like a big play machine, and well I doubt he's ever a huge reception guy, in the right offense he could be a real difference maker. He gives me a Hollywood Brown vibe.

Last edited:
Wasn't a fan of Watson either, though he exceeded my expectations

His YPRR once he started playing full-time (or maybe overall) was 2.38, I believe, which is really high. So I'm wondering if your rankings are what we gleaned from the 2022 NFL season or whether these are rankings from before the season for each class.

I like Watson because I roster him, so that might have something to do with my assessment. I don't think Rodgers being gone nukes him.

Wasn't a fan of Watson either, though he exceeded my expectations

His YPRR once he started playing full-time (or maybe overall) was 2.38, I believe, which is really high. So I'm wondering if your rankings are what we gleaned from the 2022 NFL season or whether these are rankings from before the season for each class.

I like Watson because I roster him, so that might have something to do with my assessment. I don't think Rodgers being gone nukes him.
Oh 100% before the season for each class. I thought that was the exercise here, the perception of each class pre-draft. Otherwise, I'd be pretty stupid for saying the 2021 QB class was better than the 2018 class which has produced an MVP winner (Lamar) and the best overall player drafted since 2018 (Josh Allen.)

ETA: As for Watson, I don't think Rodgers being gone nukes him for sure, but it could. We have no idea how good Jordan Love is, personally, I think he'll be pretty bad, but he certainly won't be better than Rodgers, even the 2022 version.

Oh 100% before the season for each class. I thought that was the exercise here, the perception of each class pre-draft.
Close, was actually shooting for same time frame so before the combine. I think the combine helped a lot of the top prospects valuation. Hall, Walker, Olave, Wilson, Sky Moore, Dotson, Watson and Pickens off top of my head got post-combine boosts. Maybe I'm forgetting someone but Spiller was only top player I felt came out of the combine looking worse.

That's also a big reason I used an established written rankings of each class at this time. I know you post some mocks and rankings so you might have a written record of your pre-combine rankings but most of us don't and if we try and go off memory I'm not sure how much we can really not be impacted by the combine and stuff that happened later.

Users who are viewing this thread