What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looks like T. Bell is going to get a chance to (1 Viewer)

It doesnt matter how highly touted Bell is on the forums and by fantasy football addicts. It matters what the Denver Broncos think. They have no loyalty to Bell. The cut Claret. At some point in the season Denver will want to see exactly what they have in Dayne. They already know what they have in Bell and they are not thrilled about it.
Thanks are in order for the clear and well thought out contributions from both Rockton and PonyBoy regarding the Broncos.

Looking at your memeber number I will take it you didn't see the threads about Dayne LAST year.  Where he looked like a monster in the preseason and all the hype about his chance only to see NOTHING.  Dayne is DEPTH PERIOD!!!  Nothing more..  If Anderson AND Bell get hurt he's your man for sure..   :popcorn:
I hate to break this to you, RF, but based upon first hand observations that coincide with the opinions of insiders here in DEN, Rockton's assessment is right on target - except for the chance to start/bulk of the carries part - which IMO would require an injury or major drop in production from Anderson.If you choose not to accept that, that's your perrogative. But facts is facts, and Dayne up to this point has outplayed Bell.
Not saying he hasn't but Bell will be the #2 for sure.. We know how Dayne is during regular season.. :) Can't say preseason results = new depth chart.. That's why Bell is still so highly touted in most places cause he better skills to succeed. Its a LONG season but if Anderson goes down I bet its Bell that steps in..
It doesnt matter how highly touted Bell is on the forums and by fantasy football addicts. It matters what the Denver Broncos think. They have no loyalty to Bell. The cut Claret. At some point in the season Denver will want to see exactly what they have in Dayne. They already know what they have in Bell and they are not thrilled about it.
Clarett= shot in the dark PERIOD..Bell was a pick to be a future RB. Also Clarett had not guaranteed$$$ A lot easier to say bye.. How many years do we have to hear the same crap about Dayne? When will people realize he's nothing much?? This is a guy with a career YPC under 3.5.. In 4 years no less. When 5.0 is the mark of a good RB.. Dayne falls in line with an Alstott. Argue it all you want but facts are facts..
Well, If Dayne was still with the Giants I would tend to agree with you but now he is with the Broncos. Can somebody name some NFL players that stunk with the team the drafted them but took off when they got traded to another team..Regardless, It doesnt say much for Bell if he is getting out performed by Anderson and Dayne.. Not much of a future there.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at your memeber number I will take it you didn't see the threads about Dayne LAST year.  Where he looked like a monster in the preseason and all the hype about his chance only to see NOTHING.  Dayne is DEPTH PERIOD!!!  Nothing more..  If Anderson AND Bell get hurt he's your man for sure..   :popcorn:
I hate to break this to you, RF, but based upon first hand observations that coincide with the opinions of insiders here in DEN, Rockton's assessment is right on target - except for the chance to start/bulk of the carries part - which IMO would require an injury or major drop in production from Anderson.If you choose not to accept that, that's your perrogative. But facts is facts, and Dayne up to this point has outplayed Bell.
Not saying he hasn't but Bell will be the #2 for sure.. We know how Dayne is during regular season.. :) Can't say preseason results = new depth chart.. That's why Bell is still so highly touted in most places cause he better skills to succeed. Its a LONG season but if Anderson goes down I bet its Bell that steps in..
Clarett= shot in the dark PERIOD..Bell was a pick to be a future RB. Also Clarett had not guaranteed$$$ A lot easier to say bye.. How many years do we have to hear the same crap about Dayne? When will people realize he's nothing much?? This is a guy with a career YPC under 3.5.. In 4 years no less. When 5.0 is the mark of a good RB.. Dayne falls in line with an Alstott. Argue it all you want but facts are facts..
Well, If Dayne was still with the Giants I would tend to agree with you but now he is with the Broncos. Can somebody name some NFL players that stunk with the team the drafted them but took off when they got traded to another team..Regardless, It doesnt say much for Bell if he is getting out performed by Anderson and Dayne.. Not much of a future there.
Preist Holmes.

Realistically Bell could be third on the depth chart after the next game. Better just hope he does well enough for that not to happen.

I hate to break this to you, RF, but based upon first hand observations that coincide with the opinions of insiders here in DEN, If you choose not to accept that, that's your perrogative. But facts is facts, and Dayne up to this point has outplayed Bell.
I am not taking sides because I plan on steering clear of this mess. But Pony, are the "facts" the observations & opinions you refer to? Opinion doesn't necessarily equate to fact or this thread would be filled with hundereds of "facts".

quick question:why was anderson annointed the #1 RB before preseason? the reason i ask is that while anderson has shown nothing to cost him his job as the #1, i wonder how things would be if bell was listed as the #1 before preseason...in other words, would he have performed or was his performance considered good enough to not lose it to the back up?i know it's kind of a moot point. but was it shanny's loyalty to MA, respect for a veteran, or talent that led him to name MA the starter before training camp?

Can somebody name some NFL players that stunk with the team the drafted them but took off when they got traded to another team..
Preist Holmes.
Another question: Can anyone think of a worse example than Priest Holmes?TIA
Not exactly what you were looking for, but how about Joe Horn. Mediocre at best for the Chiefs and then exploded in New Orleans.B. Nugget

Here are some stats...

Year Team G GS No Yards Avg Lg TD 20+ 40+ FD

1996 Kansas City Chiefs 9 0 2 30 15.0 21 0 1 0 1

1997 Kansas City Chiefs 8 0 2 65 32.5 47 0 1 1 2

1998 Kansas City Chiefs 16 1 14 198 14.1 57 1 2 1 11

1999 Kansas City Chiefs 16 1 35 586 16.7 76 6 9 2 28

2000 New Orleans Saints 16 16 94 1340 14.3 52 8 19 5 63

2001 New Orleans Saints 16 16 83 1265 15.2 56 9 23 6 59

2002 New Orleans Saints 16 16 88 1312 14.9 63 7 19 6 65

2003 New Orleans Saints 15 14 78 973 12.5 50 10 10 3 52

2004 New Orleans Saints 16 16 94 1399 14.9 57 11 22 4 73

Last edited by a moderator:
Shanahan does have a short leash. The only player he's ever shown any loyalty to is Terrell Davis. Then again how couldn't he show respect to his Super Bowl MVP. Ask Quentin Griffin if Shanny's got a short leash?
Funny. I'd use the Griffin example to show exactly how wrong you are. Griffin was named the starting RB last season, had a great week 1, and then had a miserable group of performances after that - averging I think 2.5 ypc & actually losing the JAX game by fumbling on the second to last play of the game well within Elam's FG range in a 1 point lose, as well as fumbles in other games that he lost. Yet despite this incredibly poor 3+ game run Griffin still somehow never lost his spot or had his work load threatened, and the only way he got removed from the featured RB slot was to tear up his ACL vs OAK in week 6.

Shanahan had named Griffin his #1 RB, and Griffin was the guy until he got injured. It has happened in the past through all the years Shanahan has been here. The only way Bell got a sniff last year is because Shanahan was literally running Droughns into the ground & Droughns self-admittedly needed someone else to help him carry the load - that he wasn't prepared or in any condition to take that much work at RB for that great an extended period.
I agree with PB, but I remember this a little differently. Correct me if I'm wrong. Griffin was healthy when he was replaced by Droughns in week 5. He blew out his knee playing special teams two weeks later. Right? If so, that doesn't mean Shanny's leash is short. Griffin had one great performance in the opener and just looked lost for the next thee weeks. It also seemed to be getting in his head. Shanahan was by any account very patient and supportive with Griffin, who ran into a tough run of run defenses, lost a game with a fumble that was probably Plummer's fault, gained all of 7 yards as Denver's featured RB against the Chargers, and continued to struggle the next week. Droughns got a few carries late in that game and looked better, the he went for almost 200 yards in his first start, week 5. Being on the Q bandwagon last year and reading all of Pony Boy's annoying posts... :D

makes all this pretty clear to me. As a Q owner, I thought Shanny was very patient, and did all he could to get Griffin going until it just became foolish not to look elsewhere. Also, I think Shanny is rather forthright with the media. He dubbed Anderson the starter in early July. He should have been moving up your draft boards way back then. He announced Q as the starter early last year and stuck with him until he HAD to make a change. He'll do the same with Anderson, but he may not HAVE to make a change this time.

I agree with PB, but I remember this a little differently. Correct me if I'm wrong. Griffin was healthy when he was replaced by Droughns in week 5. He blew out his knee playing special teams two weeks later. Right? If so, that doesn't mean Shanny's leash is short. Griffin had one great performance in the opener and just looked lost for the next thee weeks. It also seemed to be getting in his head. Shanahan was by any account very patient and supportive with Griffin, who ran into a tough run of run defenses, lost a game with a fumble that was probably Plummer's fault, gained all of 7 yards as Denver's featured RB against the Chargers, and continued to struggle the next week. Droughns got a few carries late in that game and looked better, the he went for almost 200 yards in his first start, week 5.

Being on the Q bandwagon last year and reading all of Pony Boy's annoying posts... :D

makes all this pretty clear to me. As a Q owner, I thought Shanny was very patient, and did all he could to get Griffin going until it just became foolish not to look elsewhere. Also, I think Shanny is rather forthright with the media. He dubbed Anderson the starter in early July. He should have been moving up your draft boards way back then. He announced Q as the starter early last year and stuck with him until he HAD to make a change. He'll do the same with Anderson, but he may not HAVE to make a change this time.
I'd concur with you recollection of the situation and concede that Droughns replaced Griffin because of poor performance prior to Griffin's injury. :thumbup:

Not exactly what you were looking for, but how about Joe Horn. Mediocre at best for the Chiefs and then exploded in New Orleans.
Good call on Horn, but part of me puts the blame squarely on Schottenheimer's shoulders for bunging up that situation.

poor tatum bell owners. Just admit it you f'd up. You should have handcuffed Anderson and then you would not be crying. I hate these tatum bell threads this is a repeat of last year. If you cant beat out two fullbacks and midget then you dont deserve to start.
:goodposting: :lmao:

I hate to break this to you, RF, but based upon first hand observations that coincide with the opinions of insiders here in DEN, If you choose not to accept that, that's your perrogative. But facts is facts, and Dayne up to this point has outplayed Bell.
I am not taking sides because I plan on steering clear of this mess. But Pony, are the "facts" the observations & opinions you refer to? Opinion doesn't necessarily equate to fact or this thread would be filled with hundereds of "facts".
Like I've said, Mike Shanahan is without question one of the most predictable coaches in the NFL. He's been in office for 10 years, and has made it abundantly clear what his preferences and tendencies are. I think Pony Boy has demonstrated that he has a very clear understanding of what Shanahan's tendencies are, so if he says something is a "fact", I tend to agree with him (although we disagreed before training camp as to which Denver back would get the starting job).Anyway, it's been a "fact" that Dayne has outperformed Bell this preseason. He has a much higher ypc, and he's been much more consistant and reliable in blitz pickup. Neither of them really have done much catching the ball, but from what I hear, Dayne's been better in that regard, too. Don't forget, when Sauerbrun had his punt blocked... against the Texans, iirc... it was because Bell Ole'd the guy he was supposed to be blocking. And the reason Bradlee Van Pelt is getting so many rushing attempts is because Bell hasn't kept guys off him consistantly this preseason.

quick question:

why was anderson annointed the #1 RB before preseason? the reason i ask is that while anderson has shown nothing to cost him his job as the #1, i wonder how things would be if bell was listed as the #1 before preseason...in other words, would he have performed or was his performance considered good enough to not lose it to the back up?

i know it's kind of a moot point. but was it shanny's loyalty to MA, respect for a veteran, or talent that led him to name MA the starter before training camp?
Anderson was the #1 RB because he was the BEST BACK last season, before he went down to injury. He also has the best knowledge of Denver's offense of anyone on the entire team except maybe Rod Smith. He is a bigger, more powerful back who is perfectly suited to fixing Denver's short yardage problems, too. Everyone said he was #1 as a motivational ploy, or out of loyalty to him. I see it differently. I think he was #1 to begin with because Shanahan honestly thought he was the best RB on the roster. Whether he was or not, Shanahan quickly discovered that he WAS, indeed, the best RB on the roster.If Bell had been listed #1 in the preseason, he would have held the job all of 3 days. Anderson has just been so much more successful in all 3 phases (running, catching, blocking). Bell's been playing well, but Anderson has been playing *lights out*. The only area where Bell has outperformed Anderson is speed, and Anderson demonstrated this preseason that he's plenty fast enough.

Users who are viewing this thread