What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looks like T. Bell is going to get a chance to (1 Viewer)

BigTex

Don't mess with Texas
AOL Sports08/31/05 11:07 AMTHE NEWSWith Mike Anderson and the starters seeing limited snaps in the preseason finale on Friday, second-string running back Tatum Bell will get extended action against the Cardinals. "He'll get a number of carries," head coach Mike Shanahan told the Rocky Mountain News. "And we'll see if he takes advantage of it."Our ViewBell saw only one carry in Anderson's breakout game last week against Indy, but Shanahan claims it was because the first- and second-team offenses saw significantly fewer snaps than expected. In any case, Bell will have a chance to make a statement on Friday, and his playing time early in the season may depend on it

Anderson is sitting out as the starter, so this is merely Bell's chance to retain 2nd string over Dayne.Nothing more to see here.

Last edited by a moderator:
Bell owner clinging onto to hope but this means nothing. The only way it has any impact is if he breaks a couple long runs to the house. That still wouldn't change the starter but might get him carries as the year goes on.

"He'll get a number of carries," head coach Mike Shanahan told the Rocky Mountain News. "And we'll see if he takes advantage of it."Skeletor - the master of motivation. :X

Bell owner clinging onto to hope but this means nothing. The only way it has any impact is if he breaks a couple long runs to the house. That still wouldn't change the starter but might get him carries as the year goes on.
I actually have M. Anderson, I traded T. Bell away during the off-season. :D

Bell owner clinging onto to hope but this means nothing.  The only way it has any impact is if he breaks a couple long runs to the house.  That still wouldn't change the starter but might get him carries as the year goes on.
I actually have M. Anderson, I traded T. Bell away during the off-season. :D
that's awesome.

And not a good situation for Tater. The Arizona Cardinals defense is TOUGH. I've been pimping them as a top 10 defense all year. He won't find the freeway size running lanes and ridiculously poor pursuit angles that MA took advantage of on that 97 yard scamper in the last preseason game.

And not a good situation for Tater. The Arizona Cardinals defense is TOUGH. I've been pimping them as a top 10 defense all year. He won't find the freeway size running lanes and ridiculously poor pursuit angles that MA took advantage of on that 97 yard scamper in the last preseason game.
Possibly, but the Cards first string defense may not be playing much, so it may be him running behind a 2nd string offensive line against a 2nd string DEF.

Nothing Tatum Bell does in the final preseason game will keep Mike Anderson from starting Week 1 (unless of course Mike gets injured). However, if Tatum puts up some good numbers, it will likely give Mike Shanahan more confidence in Bell if Anderson were to faulter at any point during the season.

Nothing more to see here.
Other than the opportunity if Bell shines to deal him for something.
that is true and what I am hoping for. The MA owner in my league has approached me about getting Bell but holding off for now and a good outing even though it may not increase his value NFL wise could definitely increase his value FF wise.

I said it in another thread, and I'll say it again here. The way Shanahan runs his preseason, if Bell gets extended work, it means Dayne is in the hunt for the #2 RB position. If Bell is locked in at #2, he'll get one series, maybe 2 series at most, and then he'll take the rest of the game off as Dayne & Griffin divvy up the rest of the work.But....Dayne has looked great, and right now has hands down outperformed Bell in all phases of the game. If Shanahan has any doubts about Bell being his #2, he'll let Dayne & Bell fight it out this weekend.If you're a Bell owner, the last thing you want if for him to get a significant amount of work vs AZ.

Possibly, but the Cards first string defense may not be playing much, so it may be him running behind a 2nd string offensive line against a 2nd string DEF.
Which means even if he takes it to the house, it will be dismissed. Mike is the Man until he loses the job, why is that so hard for some to see? And for the record I don't own either. I live in Denver but am not a Broncos fan.

The fact of the matter is Mike has taken almost all of the snaps with the first offence both in camp and in pre-season games. He has done nothing to dissapoint. And he is resting with the rest of the starters this weekend.

Seems pretty clear cut to me.

Amazingly enough, I thought I read in the AZ Republic that Arizona was going to play their starters the first half of that game. That might pertain more to the offense, which has struggled. I'll try to find that out for sure.

Nothing Tatum Bell does in the final preseason game will keep Mike Anderson from starting Week 1 (unless of course Mike gets injured). However, if Tatum puts up some good numbers, it will likely give Mike Shanahan more confidence in Bell if Anderson were to faulter at any point during the season.
That's pretty much it. It says that since Anderson is starting, Bell will get carries because the 2nd string is playing more this preseason game.Now, the part where he says we'll see if he takes advantage of it is what everyone's getting all worked up about. There's nothing really there though. He's just stating a fact........if anything if you read into that statement, you know what he's saying?? He's saying he hasn't taken advantage of it in the past, so we'll see if he can now.

That's not good news folks. That means the coach has negative thoughts. He's not saying let's see if Jake Plummer, Ashlie Lelie or Rod Smith need to take advantage of anything.........he's saying Bell because Bell must not have impressed him during other parts of games, practice or both.

if bell has a great performance, it MIGHT temper some of the MA enthusiasm on draft day, which means, hopefully, he falls to me

Word around the Denver sports talk channels is it isn't about numbers. It is Bells lack of ability to block and pick up the Blitz that has him looking for a #2 spot.

Other than the opportunity if Bell shines to deal him for something.
Even though Bell is second fiddle, I'm not sure there's a better destination for him right now where he could make an immediate impact. Bell could still get the starting gig if Anderson falters or gets hurt - while you can't bank on it, both scenarios are certainly possible.

From what I've seen over the years from Skeletor I would say that this Denver RB situation hinges more on Anderson's performance than it does Bell's performance. Shanahan has one of the shortest leases in football. Anderson is his declared starter, and if he doesn't perform in the first few games, Shanahan will move down his list. If Bell is #2 on Skeletor's list then he will be given his opportunity regardless of how he performs Friday night. So, I think it's Anderson's job to keep rather than Bell's to earn at this point. :popcorn:

Shanahan has one of the shortest leases in football.
This of course is nonsense, as has been well documented in many threads here. It should be taken as such.
Shanahan does have a short leash. The only player he's ever shown any loyalty to is Terrell Davis. Then again how couldn't he show respect to his Super Bowl MVP. Ask Quentin Griffin if Shanny's got a short leash?What do Mike Shanahan and Janet Jackson have in common?

"What have you done for me lately..."

This of course is nonsense, as has been well documented in many threads here. It should be taken as such.
Shanahan does have a short leash. The only player he's ever shown any loyalty to is Terrell Davis. Then again how couldn't he show respect to his Super Bowl MVP. Ask Quentin Griffin if Shanny's got a short leash?What do Mike Shanahan and Janet Jackson have in common?

"What have you done for me lately..."
And..."their first name ain't Baby"

Doesn't mean much. Tatum Bell hasn't lost the starting spot as much as Anderson as shown that he deserves it.On a related note I just drove by the Broncos training facility (It lies between my office and Burger King) and saw Maurice Clarett on the side of the road with a sign saying, "Will avoid work for food".

Doesn't mean much. Tatum Bell hasn't lost the starting spot as much as Anderson as shown that he deserves it.

On a related note I just drove by the Broncos training facility (It lies between my office and Burger King) and saw Maurice Clarett on the side of the road with a sign saying, "Will avoid work for food".
Obvious imposter. You expect us to believe he got out of bed and on the job by noon?

Shanahan does have a short leash. The only player he's ever shown any loyalty to is Terrell Davis. Then again how couldn't he show respect to his Super Bowl MVP. Ask Quentin Griffin if Shanny's got a short leash?
The Denver homers like Pony Boy are more in the know, but injuries mainly derailed Davis, Gary, Anderson, et al as starters. As for Griffin, he probably gave the little waterbug more slack then he should have before finally going with Droughns (may have been Bell if he hadn't been hurt).

Non Bell owner here. Actually I'm on record as a Bell hater.The chance of Anderson holding up under that 22-25 carry a game workload is slim and none. A worn out MA getting shut down by NWE in week 6 looks like a good spot to pick as an O/U for when Bell starts.

Shanahan does have a short leash. The only player he's ever shown any loyalty to is Terrell Davis. Then again how couldn't he show respect to his Super Bowl MVP. Ask Quentin Griffin if Shanny's got a short leash?
Funny. I'd use the Griffin example to show exactly how wrong you are. Griffin was named the starting RB last season, had a great week 1, and then had a miserable group of performances after that - averging I think 2.5 ypc & actually losing the JAX game by fumbling on the second to last play of the game well within Elam's FG range in a 1 point lose, as well as fumbles in other games that he lost. Yet despite this incredibly poor 3+ game run Griffin still somehow never lost his spot or had his work load threatened, and the only way he got removed from the featured RB slot was to tear up his ACL vs OAK in week 6.Shanahan had named Griffin his #1 RB, and Griffin was the guy until he got injured. It has happened in the past through all the years Shanahan has been here. The only way Bell got a sniff last year is because Shanahan was literally running Droughns into the ground & Droughns self-admittedly needed someone else to help him carry the load - that he wasn't prepared or in any condition to take that much work at RB for that great an extended period.

Non Bell owner here. Actually I'm on record as a Bell hater.

The chance of Anderson holding up under that 22-25 carry a game workload is slim and none.

A worn out MA getting shut down by NWE in week 6 looks like a good spot to pick as an O/U for when Bell starts.
Why, are you expecting 3 or 4 bad games prior to the NE game as well?

Anderson is sitting out as the starter, so this is merely Bell's chance to retain 2nd string over Dayne.

Nice wishful thinking.
Where are all the guys now that where touting Bell as the steal of the draft 4 weeks ago?Where are all the guys that were saying, "Bell's value is low now because he will be a first rounder by the time the season starts"?

All those guys are gone now I guess. The bubble has burst.

Anderson is sitting out as the starter, so this is merely Bell's chance to retain 2nd string over Dayne.

Nice wishful thinking.
:potkettle:
No, I actually have both Anderson and Bell. I'm just pointing out that all the Anderson owners think they have a 1500 yard back on their hands and that he'll stay healthy enough all season to hold off Bell. If Bell performs well it isn't going to take much for Shanny to give him a shot if Anderson gets a little nicked up.

Nice wishful thinking.
:potkettle:
No, I actually have both Anderson and Bell. I'm just pointing out that all the Anderson owners think they have a 1500 yard back on their hands and that he'll stay healthy enough all season to hold off Bell.
Yes, but those are all things that could happen this season. What could happen later on does not change the fact that Bell is no longer in the running for the RB1 position at this point in time.

The chance of Anderson holding up under that 22-25 carry a game workload is slim and none.

A worn out MA getting shut down by NWE in week 6 looks like a good spot to pick as an O/U for when Bell starts.
Any reason why MA won't hold up....sure he has been injured in the past, but injuries can happen to anyone, i don't see how u can be so sure...

Any reason why MA won't hold up....sure he has been injured in the past, but injuries can happen to anyone, i don't see how u can be so sure...
It's workload related not injury related.

Injured + 32 = Not lasting the seasonAre you going to argue with history?

Nice wishful thinking.
Umm, actually I'm a Bell keeper league owner, so actually it's realistic thinking rather than wishful.At this point, I've moved on from Bell, and anything I get out of him this year will heretofore be considered gravy.

Injured + 32 = Not lasting the season
How old is Bell? How many seasons has he completed without injury?But that is beside the point.OK, Mike might not play 16 games, that does not mean he will play zero. Right now, at this point in time, he is the starter. Bell is not.Everyone and his brother thinks Priest will get hurt this year, but he still goes in the top 3. Why? Because he is not hurt right now.

Since Walter Payton's 1986 season, not one 32 year old RB has rushed for over 1025 yards - yet we have three projected to do that this year.Something has to give.

Nice wishful thinking.
Umm, actually I'm a Bell keeper league owner, so actually it's realistic thinking rather than wishful.At this point, I've moved on from Bell, and anything I get out of him this year will heretofore be considered gravy.
I'm not sure if it's a mind game Shanny is playing, but as a Anderson owner is value is high right now. I'll be sending the Bell owner a trade proposal before anything happens.

Funny. I'd use the Griffin example to show exactly how wrong you are. Griffin was named the starting RB last season, had a great week 1, and then had a miserable group of performances after that - averging I think 2.5 ypc & actually losing the JAX game by fumbling on the second to last play of the game well within Elam's FG range in a 1 point lose, as well as fumbles in other games that he lost. Yet despite this incredibly poor 3+ game run Griffin still somehow never lost his spot or had his work load threatened, and the only way he got removed from the featured RB slot was to tear up his ACL vs OAK in week 6.

Shanahan had named Griffin his #1 RB, and Griffin was the guy until he got injured. It has happened in the past through all the years Shanahan has been here. The only way Bell got a sniff last year is because Shanahan was literally running Droughns into the ground & Droughns self-admittedly needed someone else to help him carry the load - that he wasn't prepared or in any condition to take that much work at RB for that great an extended period.
IIRC, Griffin lost his job well before he got injured. I believe he got hurt on special teams after that became his relegated role.

Injured + 32 = Not lasting the season
How old is Bell? How many seasons has he completed without injury?But that is beside the point.

OK, Mike might not play 16 games, that does not mean he will play zero. Right now, at this point in time, he is the starter. Bell is not.

Everyone and his brother thinks Priest will get hurt this year, but he still goes in the top 3. Why? Because he is not hurt right now.
Well considering last year was his rookie year.....

Since Walter Payton's 1986 season, not one 32 year old RB has rushed for over 1025 yards - yet we have three projected to do that this year.

Something has to give.
Nahhhh

Users who are viewing this thread