What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Looting in Missouri after cops shoot 18 year old (1 Viewer)

Slapdash said:
Give it time for the Carolina Hustlers and Jojos of the world to show up.I don't think the context changes at all. It is still this: Cop shoots a defenseless kid from 30 yards away.
That big kid didn't look too defenseless pushing that quickie mart guy around on the video.... :mellow:
Certainly didn't seem like the nice young man his mother and the community have been taking about all week.Honestly it's a shame he wasn't, because this just inflamed the race issues even more. But I guess odds are that the straight A student who volunteers at the homeless shelter on weekends doesn't seem to find his way into these kinds of situations much.
Glad you and Peens have it all figured out.
Now I'm Peens because I can acknowledge he apparently wasn't a very nice kid? You're almost as bad as they are.
how often are you volunteering at homeless shelters?
I doubt quickie mart kid did much volunteering...
no idea, but that’s not my bar of what makes someone a good kid or not.

Neither is stealing a box of cigars.

I am willing to bet 95% of the people posting in here have committed as bad crimes when they were around 18 (drugs, driving 50 MPH+ over speed limit, drinking and driving, shoplifting, fighting, etc) all while not volunteering at the local homeless shelter.
That'd be a good poll. How many FBGs have ever committed theft and then when confronted assaulted a guy half our size?
Thank you.

Slapdash said:
dickey moe said:
Slapdash said:
Great. Now it is time for everyone to come out of the woodwork and say he deserved to die because he was a criminal and probably was getting high. Just like Trayvon.
I don't think many people are saying that, but even as tgunz admitted, it appears with a possible theft involved, the context has changed at least somewhat. It's not as simple as "a rogue cop had it out for this kid."
Give it time for the Carolina Hustlers and Jojos of the world to show up.

I don't think the context changes at all. It is still this: Cop shoots a defenseless kid from 30 yards away.
That big kid didn't look too defenseless pushing that quickie mart guy around on the video.... :mellow:
Certainly didn't seem like the nice young man his mother and the community have been taking about all week.Honestly it's a shame he wasn't, because this just inflamed the race issues even more. But I guess odds are that the straight A student who volunteers at the homeless shelter on weekends doesn't seem to find his way into these kinds of situations much.
Now I'm Peens because I can acknowledge he apparently wasn't a very nice kid? You're almost as bad as they are.
Regardless, he didn't deserve to die. Lots of people steal ####, I got a free train ride the other day because I didn't voluntarily offer the conductor my ticket. :shrug:
Was someone in here arguing he deserved to die because he stole cigars?

Slapdash said:
dickey moe said:
Slapdash said:
Great. Now it is time for everyone to come out of the woodwork and say he deserved to die because he was a criminal and probably was getting high. Just like Trayvon.
I don't think many people are saying that, but even as tgunz admitted, it appears with a possible theft involved, the context has changed at least somewhat. It's not as simple as "a rogue cop had it out for this kid."

I don't think the context changes at all. It is still this: Cop shoots a defenseless kid from 30 yards away.
no idea, but thats not my bar of what makes someone a good kid or not.

I am willing to bet 95% of the people posting in here have committed as bad crimes when they were around 18 (drugs, driving 50 MPH+ over speed limit, drinking and driving, shoplifting, fighting, etc) all while not volunteering at the local homeless shelter.
Sorry bro. That kid looks like ...
There you go. Come Greggy, at least just admit that you are a full fledged racist.

Slapdash said:
dickey moe said:
Slapdash said:

no idea, but that’s not my bar of what makes someone a good kid or not.

I am willing to bet 95% of the people posting in here have committed as bad crimes as that guy when they were around 18 (drugs, driving 50 MPH+ over speed limit, drinking and driving, shoplifting, fighting, etc) all while not volunteering at the local homeless shelter.
95%? :lmao:

That'd be a good poll. How many FBGs have ever committed theft and then when confronted assaulted a guy half our size?
I didn't say the exact same crime.
Of course not. Your point would kind of fall apart if you did.
[SIZE=10.5pt]Sure, I agree 95% of Footballguys haven’t gone to a convenience, stolen a box of cigars and pushed and intimidated the clerk when attempted to be stopped.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]Sure, I agree 95% of Footballguys haven’t gone to a convenience, stolen a box of cigars and pushed and intimidated the clerk when attempted to be stopped.[/SIZE]
94%?

Just stop. You're way off the mark.

Sure, I agree 95% of Footballguys haven’t gone to a convenience, stolen a box of cigars and pushed and intimidated the clerk when attempted to be stopped.
Your point is ridiculous.

Slapdash said:
dickey moe said:
Slapdash said:

Regardless, he didn't deserve to die. Lots of people steal ####, I got a free train ride the other day because I didn't voluntarily offer the conductor my ticket. :shrug:
:goodposting:

OK, how much illegal drugs have you bought in your lifetime?

I think it's going in that general direction, yes. Maybe you should :fishing: the Shark Pool, or at least not ever side with Peens in this general vein. Makes sense doesn't it?

Sure, I agree 95% of Footballguys haven’t gone to a convenience, stolen a box of cigars and pushed and intimidated the clerk when attempted to be stopped.
Just stop...seriously.

I think it's going in that general direction, yes. Maybe you should :fishing: the Shark Pool, or at least not ever side with Peens in this general vein. Makes sense doesn't it?
I never even approached that. In fact I said it was a shame the kid turned out to be a thug, because it only feeds people like Peens.

It's amazing to me that when race relations are involved, you can employ level headed reason and people still just totally lose their crap in an instant.

"Wow, sucks he turned out to be a crappy kid"

"OMG U RACIST UR JUST LIKE PEENS"

Oh. Ok.

I never even approached that. In fact I said it was a shame the kid turned out to be a thug, because it only feeds people like Peens.

It's amazing to me that when race relations are involved, you can employ level headed reason and people still just totally lose their crap in an instant.

Oh. Ok.
I never said you were approaching that, nor did I compare you to Peens. I thought lawyers could read? Can they not?

Going back to the Supreme Court cases I cited earlier, it said an officer has the right to shoot a fleeing suspect if he has reasonable basis to believe the suspect was guilty of a felony.

Is shooting a cop a felony?

How about assault & battery of a police officer?

If either one of those is a potential felony, then according to the Supreme Court, the officer had the right to shoot to avoid letting him get away.
When was the cop shot?And simple assault on an officer is a misdemeanor in Missouri.
His buddy said once the cop backed up and put his car in park, he tried to open his door, quite violently (per friend) such that it bounced off Brown and he couldn't immediately get out. Then Brown supposedly backed up and the officer got out.At this point, multiple witnesses claim the officer immediately attacked Brown by putting him in a chokehold and tried to get him in his car. I've read Brown was a large man and he did put up a fight once the officer had him in the chokehold. He supposedly kept grabbing the police car to avoid being put inside it. Per the accounts, as the two were tangled up, the officer managed to pull his gun and get off a contact shot. After hearing the shot, the witnesses said Brown was still in the officers chokehold, but broke free within a few seconds and took off running.

Stop. We could end it here. There is definitely fault on the officer. The police can't just jump out of their car and put you in a chokehold or throw you to the ground.

From there, everyone seems to agree the officer chased after Brown. Put another bullet somewhere in him from behind. Brown didn't go, but stopped, turned around and put his hands pleading "please stop shooting". The cop then shot him an unknown number of times in the head and chest.

It's a ####ed up mess if that's what really happened. No rule cops can't be sociopaths.
Isn't it possible that the friend, who was at the store watching Brown rough up the clerks not long before, isn't being completely honest?
Definitely. I don't doubt Brown was giving all his effort fighting off the cop. IMO, if the cop put aBullet in him while they were tussling, he manages to get free and make a run, another bullet should have never been fired.

Worst case is he gets away and they have to hunt him down after the fact.

I can almost give him a pass if he'd have hit him in the butt or legs (still deadly).

I don't see any reason any cop would put half a dozen rounds in a guy running the other way; period.

And did you assault your dealer instead of paying?

Oh. Ok.
I never said you were approaching that, nor did I compare you to Peens. I thought lawyers could read? Can they not?
Two other guys did on the prior page. You're the one saying the discussion is going "in the general direction" of someone saying the kid should die for stealing cigars. I am saying I never even approached that. To the extent Peens agrees with me that the kid was a thug, well, ####, we finally saw Peens being right about something. Only took a decade.

Going back to the Supreme Court cases I cited earlier, it said an officer has the right to shoot a fleeing suspect if he has reasonable basis to believe the suspect was guilty of a felony.

If either one of those is a potential felony, then according to the Supreme Court, the officer had the right to shoot to avoid letting him get away.
When was the cop shot?And simple assault on an officer is a misdemeanor in Missouri.
His buddy said once the cop backed up and put his car in park, he tried to open his door, quite violently (per friend) such that it bounced off Brown and he couldn't immediately get out. Then Brown supposedly backed up and the officer got out.At this point, multiple witnesses claim the officer immediately attacked Brown by putting him in a chokehold and tried to get him in his car. I've read Brown was a large man and he did put up a fight once the officer had him in the chokehold. He supposedly kept grabbing the police car to avoid being put inside it. Per the accounts, as the two were tangled up, the officer managed to pull his gun and get off a contact shot. After hearing the shot, the witnesses said Brown was still in the officers chokehold, but broke free within a few seconds and took off running.

Stop. We could end it here. There is definitely fault on the officer. The police can't just jump out of their car and put you in a chokehold or throw you to the ground.

From there, everyone seems to agree the officer chased after Brown. Put another bullet somewhere in him from behind. Brown didn't go, but stopped, turned around and put his hands pleading "please stop shooting". The cop then shot him an unknown number of times in the head and chest.

It's a ####ed up mess if that's what really happened. No rule cops can't be sociopaths.
Isn't it possible that the friend, who was at the store watching Brown rough up the clerks not long before, isn't being completely honest?
Definitely. I don't doubt Brown was giving all his effort fighting off the cop. IMO, if the cop put aBullet in him while they were tussling, he manages to get free and make a run, another bullet should have never been fired.

I can almost give him a pass if he'd have hit him in the butt or legs (still deadly).

I don't see any reason any cop would put half a dozen rounds in a guy running the other way; period.
I imagine you run slower with extra bullets in ya...

Totally agree with that, assuming that's how it went down. Also seems odd to me that a cop, even a stupid one, would be stupid enough to do that in broad daylight with so many people watching.

I guess my point is I'd like to hear more hard evidence about what happened that day. The only account I read was from Brown's pal from the grocery store video. No idea whether that kid is telling the truth or not.

:shrug:

But yeah, if it went down the way that kid said it went down, that's really, really bad.

So the 2 guys had just committed robbery and assault and 10 minutes later when a cop told them to stop jaywalking their response was to keep breaking the law. Do I have that right?

Since injury seems to be your bar what makes someone a good person or bad person, far more people are injured by someone’s coke habit then by pushing a clerk

Last edited by a moderator:
Since injury seems to be your bar what makes someone a good person or bad person, far more people are injured by someone’s coke habit then by pushing a clerk
Ooh, that's another good poll. How many FBGs have harmed others with their out-of-control coke habit?

Oh. Ok.
Two other guys did on the prior page. You're the one saying the discussion is going "in the general direction" of someone saying the kid should die for stealing cigars. I am saying I never even approached that. To the extent Peens agrees with me that the kid was a thug, well, ####, we finally saw Peens being right about something. Only took a decade.
Simmer down Sally, I know you too well to have made that leap.

Ooh, that's another good poll. How many FBGs have harmed others with their out-of-control coke habit?
I’m more than happy to keep judging each of you by the ####ty thing you have done when you were 18.

The guys getting all hot and bothered about this on CNN are kind of funny.

"Well, well, this is BS,..... they timed this release of the video ON PURPOSE!!"

"Well, this is detracting from the real story here! It's not fair!"

Why can't the facts just be the facts. Love them, hate them. Help your momentum, hurt your momentum. They are what they are. Why is this so hard?

OMG FAKE VIDEO U GUYS R CHEATING!

I’m more than happy to keep judging each of you by the ####ty thing you have done when you were 18.
Well, I didn't rob anyone. I didn't assault anyone. I didn't do coke. Where would you like to go next?

Well, I didn't rob anyone. I didn't assault anyone. I didn't do coke. Where would you like to go next?
With you? Nowhere, sounds like a bore.

"Well, well, this is BS,..... they timed this release of the video ON PURPOSE!!"

Why can't the facts just be the facts. Love them, hate them. Help your momentum, hurt your momentum. They are what they are. Why is this so hard?

I don't think anyone is saying it's a fake video. What people are saying is why wasn't this video released the first day? A St. Louis area reporter said when there is a "robbery", "theft" and there is video, its on the nightly news. If they had this information all along why was it kept until today? Its suspicious, and lends credibility to those who are saying it was a planned release with its only purpose to put blame in the eyes of viewers towards the victim. Its bad timing at best.

The handling of everything so far in this case by the Ferguson Police Dept has been sketchy and questionable at best. Downright scandalous is probably closer to the truth.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a fake video. What people are saying is why wasn't this video released the first day? A St. Louis area reporter said when there is a "robbery", "theft" and there is video, its on the nightly news. If they had this information all along why was it kept until today? Its suspicious, and lends credibility to those who are saying it was a planned release with its only purpose to put blame in the eyes of viewers towards the victim. Its bad timing at best.The handling of everything so far in this case by the Ferguson Police Dept has been sketchy and questionable at best. Downright scandalous is probably closer to the truth.
There is nothing suspicious about it. They have hardly released anything until today. I think most would have preferred they released everything early, but they didn't.Not releasing information is something they have actually been consistent on.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a fake video. What people are saying is why wasn't this video released the first day? A St. Louis area reporter said when there is a "robbery", "theft" and there is video, its on the nightly news. If they had this information all along why was it kept until today? Its suspicious, and lends credibility to those who are saying it was a planned release with its only purpose to put blame in the eyes of viewers towards the victim. Its bad timing at best.

The handling of everything so far in this case by the Ferguson Police Dept has been sketchy and questionable at best. Downright scandalous is probably closer to the truth.
Guess I don't see it. This is the investigation of a shooting death by an officer. You don't go off half cocked and start releasing all your evidence. My guess is that all the public pressure, the rioting and looting, and the outcry, including the repeated statements about what a wonderful quiet young man he was, all put the police in a position where they had to release it.

In part I also have to imagine they didn't have all of the information about all the surveillance video of the kid immediately.

I also am guessing you don't release it until you're sure there won't be negative consequences. Maybe you want to interview the friend again first to see what he has to say, before he realizes you have this video. Maybe you want to talk to the store clerks. Talk to other people who were in the store. People on the street.

Where talking about the difference of what, a couple days?? "Downright scandalous"?? Seriously? This didn't even happen a week ago.

Bottom line is I'm sure there are lots of good reasons to not go running around spilling all your evidence all over the evening news until you've had a chance to thoroughly digest and use it. It seems to me all the whining about this really is just about the fact that the video was released at all--the fact that it even exists in the first place. The police can't be blamed for that part.

I don't think anyone is saying it's a fake video. What people are saying is why wasn't this video released the first day? A St. Louis area reporter said when there is a "robbery", "theft" and there is video, its on the nightly news. If they had this information all along why was it kept until today? Its suspicious, and lends credibility to those who are saying it was a planned release with its only purpose to put blame in the eyes of viewers towards the victim. Its bad timing at best.The handling of everything so far in this case by the Ferguson Police Dept has been sketchy and questionable at best. Downright scandalous is probably closer to the truth.
There is nothing suspicious about it. They have hardly released anything until today. I think most would have preferred they released everything early, but they didn't.Not releasing information is something they have actually been consistent on.
SCANDALOUTRAGE!!!

Thanks for posting that, Ramsay. I wasn't familiar with the decision, but I was fairly sure a warning had to be given: "Stop, or I'll shoot!", etc.
Dont forget the where feasible part, Tim.
Sure I won't. But according to the two eyewitnesses, Brown was at least 30 feet away when he was shot in the back. If that's true and if there was no warning, then it's cold-blooded murder, is it not?
Can some of the lawyers here distinguish for me the legal difference between "murder" and "cold-blooded murder". TIA!
I strenuously object.

Guess I don't see it. This is the investigation of a shooting death by an officer. You don't go off half cocked and start releasing all your evidence. My guess is that all the public pressure, the rioting and looting, and the outcry, including the repeated statements about what a wonderful quiet young man he was, all put the police in a position where they had to release it.

In part I also have to imagine they didn't have all of the information about all the surveillance video of the kid immediately.

I also am guessing you don't release it until you're sure there won't be negative consequences. Maybe you want to interview the friend again first to see what he has to say, before he realizes you have this video. Maybe you want to talk to the store clerks. Talk to other people who were in the store. People on the street.

Where talking about the difference of what, a couple days?? "Downright scandalous"?? Seriously? This didn't even happen a week ago.

Bottom line is I'm sure there are lots of good reasons to not go running around spilling all your evidence all over the evening news until you've had a chance to thoroughly digest and use it. It seems to me all the whining about this really is just about the fact that the video was released at all--the fact that it even exists in the first place. The police can't be blamed for that part.
You don't see that generally thefts/robberies where stores have a camera the videos are on the nightly news? Come on Otis that's a stretch wherever you live.

From everything I've heard (Don Lemon on CNN spoke specifically about it) the kid that was with him told the authorities from the get go about the store theft.

I agree with you there are plenty of good reasons to go around not spilling evidence, but the store theft is completely separate from the issue that has the community in an uproar. From the chiefs own mouth the officer did not initiate the stop due to Brown being a suspect. And in fact, nothing about the stop and ensuing shooting had anything to do with the theft until the chief doubled back half way through the day and corrected his statements. Statements he made to both CNN and Capt. Ron Johnson of the Highway Patrol. So there's that.

Yes, suspicious at best, and probably closer to scandalous. There's no way this Tom Jackson has a job when all is said and done.

/Edit: Nobody is whining about the video being released or that it exists, except maybe Brown's mother and father. Yeah they look like doofus's, its the timing.

Well, that would all make sense if that were factually accurate, Otis. But is isnt, really. We are talking about the cops releasing the video 6 days after the fact and lying/misleading when they released it. And they didnt have to re-interview the friend who was with Brown, because they have never interviewed him. He is only talking to the FBI and DOJ and the Ferguson PD released the video.

When they released the stills and video this morning, the chief of police lied and said that the officer who shot Brown was responding to the store robbery, implying that Brown was a suspect and the officer approached Brown as a suspect. That is totally false. He was pressured by journalists all day on that point as they demanded to know more about it, and he finally gave another press conference at 3 pm EST where he categorically said that the officer was not responding to the store robbery, didnt know about it, didnt think or believe Brown was a suspect, that the initial contact between Brown and the officer was totally unrelated to the video and the robbery, that the officer first approached Brown and his friend it was for jaywalking, and that to this very day the police cant confirm that it was Brown in the video (we know it was because his buddy told the FBI/DOJ they stole the cigarillos).

They knew everything the chief of police said this afternoon when they released the video this morning, but instead of releasing all that information at once so people understood the context of the video and never were mistaken about whether the officer was responding to the robbery and thought Brown was a suspect, they released the video, said the officer was responding to the robbery (a lie), and scurried away without taking any questions.

These police are total clowns and this is ridiculous. Please dont try to defend them if you arent up to speed. If you consider yourself up to speed and you are defending the Ferguson PD, you might be the only one doing it.

Users who are viewing this thread