What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

LT2 should not be considered at #1 (1 Viewer)

tombonneau

Footballguy
Living in LA, I've seen quite a bit of LT2, and he never really has impressed me a great deal. He is a very good RB, a lot like Emmit, but his game & FF success are predicated on grinding it out & getting a lot of carries. He lacks the huge homerun big game ability that the #1 FF backs in the past have had.Looking at RBs and their YPC/game in 2002, LT proved this to me. In 6 games he avg. >5.0ypc, but in the other 10 he averaged less than 4.0ypc. To put it in persepctive, Shaun Alexander, the man whom everyone loves to label Mr. Inconsistant had (ypc/#games) >5.0/3, 4-4.9/4, <4.0/9. Sure, LT is gaining lots of yards in those 3.7 games, but at the cost of 30+ carries and the associated wear & tear.On the other hand, you have Ricky Williams who averaged >5.0/6, 4-4.9/3, <4.0/7, a bit more attractive of a break down than LT.But frankly, IMO, neither of those two is worthy of the #1 pick, a player who should be explosive, be able to take the ball to the end zone from any square foot of the field, gain yardage in huge chunks at a time, be able to post 150 yds on only 20 carries.And that player is Clinton Portis.His YPC/game in 2002 was simply mindblowing as he put in >5.0/8, 4-4.9/6, <4.0/2. The man averaged 5.0ypc in half his games and only posted less than 4.0 twice. That is extremely impressive & something that cannot be ignored. And he was able to do it all with only exceeding 25 carries once (26).When choosing the #1 fantasy back, I don't see how you can ignore YPC on a per game basis, as you can see just exactly how they are gaining & averaging all of their yards. That being said I cannot fathom not taking Portis #1 over LT & Ricky. In fact, I would now rate the top three as 1. Portis 2. Williams 3. LT, whereas I previously had Ricky & LT flip-flopped.

It's a good topic but let's put this in perspective. What LT2 lacks in breakaway speed is made up in catches which he had Faulk like numbers last season with about 79 catches. Again he is not a homerun threat but he is option #1 on Marty's little playbook and Drew Brees's radar. I don't think there is a clear #1 this season. Portis is definitely the homerun threat but I would be happy with LT2, Portis, Ricky, Faulk(gonna bounce back big with the Rams improved O-line), even Alexander and Priest, and Deuce McAllister are nice booby prizes to get in the 1st round.Great topic

WILLIAMS versus LT may be debatable. Selecting PORTIS, a sophomore who doesn't have a full season as a starter under his belt, is flat out ridiculous. Not to mention the question marks that PLUMMER's new arrival raises. If you have the #1 pick in your draft, I'm sure that the next 2 drafters in your league will thank you for that.

In fact, I would now rate the top three as 1. Portis 2. Williams 3. LT, whereas I previously had Ricky & LT flip-flopped.
That's exactly how I've got them ranked right now, also. That explosiveness is attractive, especially for leagues that have TD length bonuses.Still, the grinders somehow seem less of a risk. I probably just got burned two too many times on Freddy Taylor.

If the Plummer era is a disaster this year will Portis hold up? Also, their receicers are getting longgggggggg in the tooth. Rod Smith, Sharpe and McCaffery might have seen their better years and Lelie has the tools but can he emerge with the vets and click with Plummer? All teams have question marks and I know that these are the threads that tell me that I should just trade down and avoid the headaches of the top 6 picks...

If you have the #1 pick in your draft, I'm sure that the next 2 drafters in your league will thank you for that.
And when I am drafting #3, I will be sure to thank them for Portis at the end of the season. :thumbup: The sophomore excuse for a RB holds 0.00% water. Because LT really sucked it up last year......And as far as him only having less than a full season, I'd take his pounding in 12-13 games over the last two seasons LT/RW have had with their enormous workload.Plummer is somewhat of a concern as on paper he is a lesser QB than Griese (~65 QB Rating average to Griese's ~85), but Griese had always had great skill players around him, Plummer not so much. And the 2nd half of the year Defenses weren't exactly staying in the cover-2 all game to compensate for Griese's scary talent -- they were trying to stop Portis and failed.I'm just saying, if I had shown you LTs games and held them up against Portis's, you'd probably have to say Portis is the better NFL & FF RB.

He lacks the huge homerun big game ability that the #1 FF backs in the past have had
I remember thinking that same thing when Tomlinson ripped off that 75 yard touchdown run last year (Portis's longest was 59 yards).

I don't think you will LOSE your league by drafting Tomlinson first, but that is just what COULD happen with Portis. We don't have enough to go on with Portis and the Denver situation. As far as safe bets to land in the top 5 again, I don't think there is a better option than Tomlinson. I will take him at #1 and not look back. :thumbup:

Good Post Tom - I remember saying at the end of last season Portis was the undisputed #1 pick, I think I got caught up with what the masses were saying about LT2 & Ricky. I think drafting in the 3 or 4 spot this year could be prime, since Priest looks like another solid "surprise" option if someone snags Portis with an earlier pick.

I remember thinking that same thing when Tomlinson ripped off that 75 yard touchdown run last year (Portis's longest was 59 yards).
LOL! @ Tomlinson not having breakaway speed - he may not be Clinton Portis fast, but he does have breakaway speed. He hasn'tyet had a line or a passing threat that would give im any room to maneuver and every yard he's gotten he's had to fight for. But give the man an opening and he'll take it to the house.I usually agree with tombanneau (SP?) and I think Portis could be the #1 back, but right now LT is the safest surest choice.

His YPC/game in 2002 was simply mindblowing as he put in >5.0/8, 4-4.9/6, <4.0/2. The man averaged 5.0ypc in half his games and only posted less than 4.0 twice. That is extremely impressive & something that cannot be ignored. And he was able to do it all with only exceeding 25 carries once (26).When choosing the #1 fantasy back, I don't see how you can ignore YPC on a per game basis, as you can see just exactly how they are gaining & averaging all of their yards. That being said I cannot fathom not taking Portis #1 over LT & Ricky. In fact, I would now rate the top three as 1. Portis 2. Williams 3. LT, whereas I previously had Ricky & LT flip-flopped.
This makes no sense. It is easier to have a higher yards per carry with few carries. That is why Napoleon Kaufman often had a very high yards per carry. If you think Portis is going to get all the carries, including the end of the game, run out the clock carries, than you are crazy if you think he is going to average 5 yards per.I think Ricky averaging 4.8 on 383 carries is significantly more impressive than Portis averaging 5.5 with a hundred less carries. Factor in that Ricky did that with Ray Lucas at the helm for significant time and it is more impressive.Also, it is worth noting that Ricky had 4 plays of over 50 yards last year: he was both running over and running by people.

A very good point. Their Top 5 longs per game breakdown as follows:LT

-------

avg: 45.8

Portis

--------

avg: 42.2

so saying LT doesn't lack the homerun threat obv. is a wrong assumption as he had two 50+ runs. :ph34r:

He is a very good RB, a lot like Emmit
...and we all know how that turned out. How long was Emmitt the #1 consensus top draft choice over his career? Tomlinson IS a lot like Emmitt and that's why he should be the #1 choice this year. While I think very highly of Portis, I would not be willing to take him with the #1 pick. He doesn't have the track record of LT. He isn't as important to Denver as LT. If he continues to whine about money, Shannahan has stated that he would simply plug another guy into the system and he would get 1500 yards. After the string of guys in Denver who have done just that, I gotta think he's serious. Plummer is a big ? mark (and I feel Plummer is going to have a career year in Denver). Finally, LT CAN rip off a 75 yard td run at any time.

I have the top 7 RB's in basically the same tier. I want pick #6 or #7 since any of these 7 could very well end up the #1 RB when it's all said and done this year.LT, R.Williams, Portis, Faulk, Holmes, McAllister, AlexanderWhile I have a bit of a bias towards a few of them, I'd be happy with any of them as my 1st round pick.

I think it's a mistake to base your whole argument on one statistic--in this case Portis' YPC. While very impressive, he had fewer carries than Williams, Tomlinson, etc., and historically it seems very doubtful he or anyone else could put up a 5.5 YPC consistently. More importantly, and this has already been touched upon, no RB plays in a vacuum. Denver has a new QB named Jake Plummer. IMO, he stinks. 99 INTs in 5 years speaks for itself. That's a long enough period that you cannot just blame it on the surrounding cast. The Cards made the playoffs in 1998. Jake has had guys like Rob Moore (when he was good) and David Boston to throw to. In Denver, Smith and McCaffrey are past their prime and the O-line has lost a lot of the talent it used to have. There's a real possibility that Denver's offense implodes with Plummer. Portis' production could take a huge hit. All of this is just speculation, but the point is one can make a logical case for taking Tomlinson or Williams over Portis.

This makes no sense. It is easier to have a higher yards per carry with few carries.
Portis's games with his highest YPC are as follows (starting in Oct when he became the official starter).......24/228/9.523/159/6.921/130/6.223/136/5.920/102/5.1All magic "20 touch" games, all gaudy ypc.As I said, I'd rather have the guy who can gain me 150 on 25 carries than the guy how is gonna need 42 (3.5ypc).

I remember that long run by LT2. Tim Dwight made an unbelievable block as he ran down the whole field to get in front of Lt2 to free him up those last 10 yards as he was caught.I had LT2 last year as I drafted 12th in a 12 team league. An awesome pick, a no brainer at that position.However, I don't like him as my no. 1 pick. I'd trade away that pick. It's not like a couple of years ago when you knew Marshall was going to get 24 td's or when Emmitt Smith was going to get 20 plus and 1500 yards.There are about 6 backs that could lead the NFL in rushing. I'd rather have the No.5 or 6 pick and get to pick sooner in round 2 than the guys waiting below me.If I had to make a NO.1 ranking, as everyone does I guess. It would be Ricky Williams. He led the league in rushing last year and probably will this year. Unless you're giving points for receptions, I think he's your guy.

And that player is Clinton Portis.That being said I cannot fathom not taking Portis #1 over LT & Ricky. In fact, I would now rate the top three as 1. Portis 2. Williams 3. LT, whereas I previously had Ricky & LT flip-flopped.
185 lbs., If you think this guy holds up two years in a row and scores more points than LT2, Ricky, a healthy Faulk and Holmes..I just don't see it bro.I would also take Deuce and Shaun Alexander before Portis myself.

Tom,c'mon, bro! He's no Onterrio Smith, but LaDainian is RB1a this year. If I had the first overall pick right now, I'd have to flip a coin (RW heads, LT tails) to decide which one to pick. He is in a run first offense, young, durable, the #1 option on his team and playing with improved WR's. You can make a case for 6 RB's to be the #1 pick this year (RW, LT, Priest, Faulk, Portis and McAllister). The difference is RW and LT are built better to withstand the punishment.I usually agree with a lot that you sa :thumbup: , but this time you are wrong :thumbdown:

And that player is Clinton Portis.That being said I cannot fathom not taking Portis #1 over LT & Ricky. In fact, I would now rate the top three as 1. Portis 2. Williams 3. LT, whereas I previously had Ricky & LT flip-flopped.
185 lbs., If you think this guy holds up two years in a row and scores more points than LT2, Ricky, a healthy Faulk and Holmes..I just don't see it bro.I would also take Deuce and Shaun Alexander before Portis myself.
Don't you love how Portis haters keep lowering his weight?205 -> 195 -> now 185 LOL!Like he's going into the season weighing 185,gimme a break.

Living in LA, I've seen quite a bit of LT2, and he never really has impressed me a great deal. He is a very good RB, a lot like Emmit, but his game & FF success are predicated on grinding it out & getting a lot of carries. He lacks the huge homerun big game ability that the #1 FF backs in the past have had.
I pretty much stopped reading this post here.#1. Never impressed you? I guess you were barry sanders best friend then huh? Sorry LT is a GREAT back... if he doesn't impress you, no RB will in the NFL right now.#2. Hes a good RB, kinda like Emmitt? Who is Emmitt? Ohhh yeah. He holds the record for most yards by a RB ALL TIME. I guess hes just GOOD tho.#3. Homerun ability? I am guessing you HAVENT watched alot of LT, because you would know he might not be a sprinter, but he has some wheels. I beleive another poster has already tackled this topic and proved you wrong here already.Maybe the rest of the post had merit but PLEASE... Don't start off a post with "not impressed (with maybe the best RB in the league right now)" and "emmit was a good back" type stuff... it really brings down what might have been a good post.Thanks for the chuckle tho....

Fourth quarter statsPortis: 64 car, 5.03 ypcTomlinson: 66 car, 4.17 ypcWilliams: 77 car, 4.29 ypcThird quarter statsPortis: 60 car, 5.42 ypcTomlinson: 95 car, 4.75 ypcWilliams: 115 car, 4.91 ypcSecond quarter statsPortis: 79 car, 5.61 ypcTomlinson: 93 car, 4.42 ypcWilliams: 98 car, 5.30 ypcFirst quarter statsPortis: 67 car, 6.15 ypcTomlinson: 98 car, 4.61 ypcWilliams: 93 car, 4.72 ypcTotalsPortis: 5.52 ypcTomlinson: 4.52 ypcWilliams: 4.84 ypcPortis' edge over the competition went down as the game went on, which certainly wouldn't signify Portis having the edge due to not running the clock out in the fourth quarter.

185 lbs., If you think this guy holds up two years in a row and scores more points than LT2, Ricky, a healthy Faulk and Holmes..I just don't see it bro.
i could just as easily ask if you think williams/lt can endure another 370+ carry season? bc LT will need another 370 carries if he is to finish #1.and while it was widely reported that portis did indeed let his weight fall to ~185 last year, he'll likely be playing at around 200 this year, and IMO the durability of a 5'11/200lb shouldn't really be called into question.

If we were talking Dynasty, I would agree, and, in fact, picked Portis #1 for the long term potential over LT2 and Ricky in a new Dynasty league.But a Redraft #1 HAS to perform as a 1st rounder, no matter what. And, this year, the odds of LT2 or Ricky underperforming their position, injury excluded, are a LOT less than Clinton's. There are too many questions about Denver this year to pull the trigger because of a YPC based on a shorter sample.

I definitely see advantages to taking LT #1 over Portis. But why is LT the consensus #1 over Ricky Williams? Isn't Ricky likely to see more touches this year?

Last edited by a moderator:
gargolyz, sorry if my hyperbolic introduction turned you off, just figured it was a good way to start off a contentious post.as far as LT, i'm not as impressed with him in relation to the ff'ers who are enamored of him. he's very good, but not spectacular. by spectacular, i meant that rare RB that there is usually only one of in a season -- priest holmes, faulk in his prime, TD, emmitt. with priest hurt & ??, there is a void for The Fantasy One that everyone covets, and some people are trying to make LT to that & he isn't. He is simply a very good RB on a team committed to giving him the ball ALL THE TIME & anyway they can. A lot like Emmitt. Do you really think emmitt was one of the most talented RBs of all time? You'd rate him with Payton, Sanders, Sayers, OJ? He's a lot like LT -- a very good RB on a team that just wanted to run the hell out of him.i still think LT is one of the top 5 RBs in the league, easy, but he isn't the best. not in the real nfl, and not in ff.

WILLIAMS versus LT may be debatable. Selecting PORTIS, a sophomore who doesn't have a full season as a starter under his belt, is flat out ridiculous. Not to mention the question marks that PLUMMER's new arrival raises. If you have the #1 pick in your draft, I'm sure that the next 2 drafters in your league will thank you for that.
ditto

And that player is Clinton Portis.That being said I cannot fathom not taking Portis #1 over LT & Ricky.  In fact, I would now rate the top three as 1. Portis 2. Williams 3. LT, whereas I previously had Ricky & LT flip-flopped.
Don't you love how Portis haters keep lowering his weight?205 -> 195 -> now 185 LOL!Like he's going into the season weighing 185,gimme a break.
Switz, I pretty much think you suck...but, that post was right on...and funny. :thumbup:

gargolyz, sorry if my hyperbolic introduction turned you off, just figured it was a good way to start off a contentious post.as far as LT, i'm not as impressed with him in relation to the ff'ers who are enamored of him. he's very good, but not spectacular. by spectacular, i meant that rare RB that there is usually only one of in a season -- priest holmes, faulk in his prime, TD, emmitt. with priest hurt & ??, there is a void for The Fantasy One that everyone covets, and some people are trying to make LT to that & he isn't. He is simply a very good RB on a team committed to giving him the ball ALL THE TIME & anyway they can. A lot like Emmitt. Do you really think emmitt was one of the most talented RBs of all time? You'd rate him with Payton, Sanders, Sayers, OJ? He's a lot like LT -- a very good RB on a team that just wanted to run the hell out of him.i still think LT is one of the top 5 RBs in the league, easy, but he isn't the best. not in the real nfl, and not in ff.
I'll agree with this statement. I don't think he's that one guy that's going to out shine everyone. Kind of my point in my post above. Your just about as good at picking at 5 as you are at 1, especially taking in the ramifications of not picking again until the end of round 2. Is LT2 worth that when you can get Priest or Faulk at the 4 or 5 spot.

Basically it boils down to your level of security if you have the #1 pick. Some guys want to make the safe pick with Tomlinson or Williams, you know they will get 300+ carries. Then there are those who like the risk/reward of taking a guy like Portis, who could possibly be better than LT and Williams. Its all about prefernce at this point, we tend to over-analyze this time of year, personally I would be happy with any one of these guys on my team.

What did Holmes, Faulk, Davis, Emmitt have in common? They were on offenses that were much, much better than either San Diego or Miami.

i find it kind of humorous that ricky williams is now considered a "safe" pick. he never had more than 8 tds in a season other than last year. 1,245 was his previous rushing high. now everyone has him penciled in to lead the league again. i'll take lt and portis over ricky. i am hearing all this talk of how ricky is built to take the punishment, yet he has played in all his team's games in only half of his seasons in the league. i think it is far more likely that ricky's numbers will go down before they stay the same or improve.

Not even considered at #1?
In order to be the #1 RB (unless you have 1pt/rec) LT will need another 370+ carry season. Portis & RW will not need that many carries to become the #1 RB. If you feel comfortable drafting a RB who will have to put together back-to-back 370+ carry seasons to fulfill his draft status, go ahead & take him. I'm not. I'd rather have Ricky or Portis.but it's like the fellow who wants to be a cowboy said, you're better off not drafting at #1 this year so you can maximize your value.and no, i'm not on drugs, it's only wednesday.

Tomb,I like your stuff...but, I think you're off here. Not on Portis, but LDT.I have absolutely ZERO idea how you can think that LDT isn't awesome. Forget the stat crunching for a minute (paralysis through analysis), it takes one game of watching him to see clearly that he dominates. How do you not see this? He has everything. One thing that is not talked about -- and I don't know why -- is his ability to break tackles, especially for a back that is not in that "typical" size range.So, for what he loses to Portis in breakaway speed, he gains over him in power...and I'm a Denver homer. And yes, I agree with your assessment of Portis.The "wear and tear" arguments are tired. He is young (3rd YEAR!) and hasn't shown a bit of "slowing down". The fact it's even talked about, at this stage, is ridiculous. Filler...conversation spark. Marty ball and LDT are the safest/surest pick of the top backs this year. Ride the pony. :thumbup:

Last edited by a moderator:
For what it's worth, CNNSI's Paul "Dr. Z" Zimmerman included Tomlinson on his list of the 30 greatest running backs of all-time, though he did not make the top 12. Other current players on the list include Emmitt (#3), Faulk (#7), Priest Holmes, and Curtis Martin. On Tomlinson he says: "The youngest and least-experienced member of our roster, and maybe after not quite a year-and-a-half as a pro it's too early for such lofty status, but I've seen enough of his great moves and burst and fine balance to be convinced of his excellence, both now and in the future. When things get tough, he carries the offense, which is a lot to ask of a 23-year-old player."

What did Holmes, Faulk, Davis, Emmitt have in common? They were on offenses that were much, much better than either San Diego or Miami.
Yeah, but San Diego has David Boston now!I'm kidding. I could hear the fingers starting to hit the keyboards ready to blast me.Good point Mr. Stuart. However, Ricky and LT2 did put up the numbers they put up last year. We can't take those away and there really isn't a lot of reasons why they shouldn't put up similar numbers.

I watched quite a bit of LT last year and my opinion is that he may be the best RB in the NFL. great moves, balance, very good speed, breaks tackles well. seems to be durable. I like him a lot right now and would take him #1 overall. Factor in the Boston addition and Lorenzo Neal and whats NOT to like? :confused:

Though most people's arguement that taking Portis is scary with Plummer at the helm (99 INTs/5 years), you also have to figure that Plummer never had a top RB to take the heat off. It was Plummer against the world. Why didn't Arizona ever get a stud RB? Well, they thought they did with Thomas Jones, but that didn't work out. I think Plummer may have a great season if he rides the Portis bandwagon. I also think that Portis can catch as good as LT or Ricky, so his potential is just as high as those two.Portis is as good a pick at #1 as LT or Ricky, but you would be very correct if you say that his situation is unclear. Clear or not, I think Portis will be top 5, and when you pick that early in the draft, it is nice to not kill your season with that pick.

Dr Z has lost the plot if he is already rating LT in the Top 30, essentially putting him in Canton. He should stick to name-dropping and talking about his red-headed wife.I owned LT last year & saw a few games last year where LT looked simply medicore. Outside of torching KC, NE & DEN (great run Ds), which I loved (well not really the NE game bc I'm a Pats fan and was at the game drunk & cursing his name :hot: but as an LT owner I loved it), he never really dominated any game I saw.Sorry. That's my opinion of LT. You can say I'm looking to far into stats and his YPC, but I'm simply supplmenting an opinion I already had of LT with statistics.

As a Raider fan I hate mentioning this, but he totally dominated the Oakland defense in the first of two games they played. It was an OT game and as the Raiders D wore down he got stronger. He had 39carries for 153 yds that game.

I have alot of thoughts on the subject so rather than organize them, I will just spew them out.

Looking at RBs and their YPC/game in 2002, LT proved this to me. In 6 games he avg. >5.0ypc, but in the other 10 he averaged less than 4.0ypc.
This is an example of skewing stats to prove a false point. The reason I say this is 4.0 ypc is a very arbitrary boundary and LT had 4 games when he had 3.9 YPC. In LT2's 32 NFL games, he has NEVER had under 50 combined yards. I don't know how many other RBs can claim this. He has a coach who is committed to giving him the ball 25-30 times a game, and he finally has some WRs that defenses have to respect. (No disrespect to Curtis Conway)The only knock I can see going against him is injury but injury is a risk to every player and he has proven that he is not injury prone. Portis' YPC was inflated greatly by a Week 17 performance against Arizona who had already thrown in the towel where he had 24 carries for 228 yards. They don't play Arizona this year.

1) Dan Marino had a pretty good career without a top RB. Has anyone besides Plummer ever averaged anything like 20 INTs over a five year period and still gone on to a good career?2) tombonneau, I agree Dr. Z might be jumping the gun a little. He's seen a lot of RBs play though. Do you rank Portis over Ricky as well as Tomlinson?

2) tombonneau, I agree Dr. Z might be jumping the gun a little. He's seen a lot of RBs play though. Do you rank Portis over Ricky as well as Tomlinson?
Yup, I rate Portis #1. But that's why we all have opinions.On a side note, it's such a shame that Peter King & Dr. Z, who have more access to NFL types & insiders than any other reporters, waste 25-50% of their columns on self-indulgent prattle about their wives & girls softball.

On a side note, it's such a shame that Peter King & Dr. Z, who have more access to NFL types & insiders than any other reporters, waste 25-50% of their columns on self-indulgent prattle about their wives & girls softball.
:rotflmao: :yes:

Two points about Portis, and they both involve Mike Anderson:1. Olandis Gary 1999: 276 att, 1159 yards, 4.2 y/c, 9 tdMike Anderson 2000: 297 att, 1487 yards, 5.0 y/c, 15 tdClinton Portis 2002: 273 att, 1508 yards, 5.5 y/c, 15 td The meaning of this? Is there a possibility that Clinton Portis is next in the run of one year Denver wonderbacks? Maybe, maybe not. But what it unquestionably shows is that Mike Shanahan is not going to stick with a guy just because he had a great year. If Portis struggles and someone else steps up, Portis will sit. LT is the franchise. He will play if healthy, period. That whole risk vs reward thing again.2. Mike Anderson at fullback will take carries. Lorenzo Neal will not.

I remember that long run by LT2. Tim Dwight made an unbelievable block as he ran down the whole field to get in front of Lt2 to free him up those last 10 yards as he was caught.
I'm going to go out on a limb and assert that on most long TD runs, an occasional block will be thrown by someone. Maybe someone can do a study.

Users who are viewing this thread