What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

M.Williams vs. Vikings - Any implications for Calvin this week? (1 Viewer)

TOPDOGTOPDOG

Footballguy
Anyone think that Mike Williams getting blanketed last week have any implications for Calvin Johnson this week? Granted Calvin was double/triple teamed last week and still managed 2 touchdowns - he only got 3 receptions. If not for those TD's he'd be hurting. If Minessota did it once to a stud receiver like Williams, will they do it again? Didnt get to see the game, but is Minessota that good or was Williams just playing poorly?

Anyone think that Mike Williams getting blanketed last week have any implications for Calvin Johnson this week? Granted Calvin was double/triple teamed last week and still managed 2 touchdowns - he only got 3 receptions. If not for those TD's he'd be hurting. If Minessota did it once to a stud receiver like Williams, will they do it again? Didnt get to see the game, but is Minessota that good or was Williams just playing poorly?
Not likely IMO. Detroit has way more weapons in the passing game than TB. Burleson is playing great right now, and Titus Young is deadly as well. KC found out what happens when you put too much focus on Calvin last week. That's not even mentioning Pettigrew and Scheffler at TE, and Best out of the backfield. So even if by some chance they shut down Calvin, the rest of the team will go off. And Calvin will still get his red zone targets no matter how well he is covered.

Not to mention, Calvin >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Williams. (probably not even that close...)

If you can't start him against Minnesota, then when CAN you start him?

Not to mention, Calvin >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Williams. (probably not even that close...)If you can't start him against Minnesota, then when CAN you start him?
Seriously, you start benching him against Minnesota, where does it end?People thinking too hard about lineups this week.

Williams is not yet a stud. He's a servicable WR2, but a far cry from the top 5.

Calvin is a freak of nature, who is arguably the best receiver in the league right now. (No one cares what Chris Carter has to say) Him and Stafford have the potential to set the TD record this year. Would you have benched Randy Moss at anytime during 2007 just because a WR1 on a team before him was shut down by his next opponent?

Way too many people on here trying to be cute with matchups this early in the season.

never. bench. studs.

this is the answer to majority of the threads going up in the sharkpool lately. unbelievable.

I wouldn't sit him, but you should temper your expectations for a bit as both VJax in week 1 and Williams in week 2 have been held in check by the Vikes D. Scheffler and Burleson may get bumped up a bit though as the Vikes D gets tired in the 2nd half- the LBs are very susceptible across the middle.

I would never bench Calvin, but considering that the Vikes shutdown Vincent Jackson and Mike Williams, it will be really interesting to see what they do with Calvin. If they manage to shut him down, I'll put them in the same category as Revis island for a #1 WR.

Last edited by a moderator:
you realize Williams had a TD that got called back because Benn got called for illegal shift?
That was still his first catch in the game (mid-to-late 3rd qtr), and he only had one other catch for -4 yds. VJax only had 2 catches in week 1.Again, not saying you don't play him this week, but don't be surprised if he doesn't put up huge numbers even though MIN seems like a gimmie win.

As of now I would never think about benching Calvin. I do have Burleson too though and would consider playing both maybe.

The argument that the Lions have more weapons than TB & SD(slightly) is perhaps what holds the most weight for me. Detroit's last game should also hopefully show Minn that you can't just stop Calvin b/c everyone else is a scoring threat.

The secondary receivers have done pretty well against Minnesota in the past two weeks. I think that Burleson may be a really good play this week, even if you have Calvin as well.

Calvin is in there, you start him even in 2 team leagues with your baby sister.

Calvin will get his. Now who would play the Parker to MW in the Lions offense this week? Don't bench Calvin, but make sure to flex Titus Young.

Lots of players from 2-team fantasy leagues in here this week.

The Vikings held Vincent Jackson to 2 catches for 31 yards as well. Bench all WR's against Minnesota until further notice?

Calvin will not have a very good week.. because Stafford will be having a field day taking advantage of his other matchups. Calvin will probably be limited to red zone looks.

I assume everybody dissing Calvin in this thread are either being sarcastic or are fans of the Viqueens.

'Dought Man said:
Calvin will not have a very good week.. because Stafford will be having a field day taking advantage of his other matchups. Calvin will probably be limited to red zone looks.
Oh no.

So I'm reading that Antoine Winfield (the Vikings top CB) generally covers the slot when opponents go 3 WR sets. This would implicate Nate Burleson gets the coverage from AW. Does anyone know if Antoine covered Mike Williams and VJax for the last 2 weeks? Or did he just cover the guys in the slot every time? I'm expecting double coverage on Calvin leaving more looks for Burleson and red zone / deep bombs to Calvin.

Pretty sure they used bracket coverage on Tampa Mike with Cedric Griffin and a safety. Imagine they did the same to VJ. Can any Viking homer confirm?

Vikes since Leslie Frazier took over vs #1 WRs:

Week 12 – Santana Moss: 5 receptions, 40 yards, 0 TDs

Week 13 – Steve Johnson: 2 receptions, 36 yards, 0 TDs

Week 14 – Hakeem Nicks: 7 receptions, 96 yards, 0 TDs

Week 15 – Johnny Knox: 2 receptions, 78 yards, 1 TD

Week 16 – DeSean Jackson: 2 receptions, 32 yards, 0 TDs

Week 17 – Calvin Johnson: Did Not Play (Burleson: 6-83-1)

Week 1 – Vincent Jackson (San Diego): 2 receptions, 31 yards, 0 TDs

Week 2 – Mike Williams (Tampa Bay): 1 reception, -4 yards, 0 TDs

Obvious #1s, save Nicks, were shut down. Non-obvious ones (Knox, Burleson) have done well. Perhaps they don't draw the bracket coverage?

If anyone can buck the trend, it's Calvin, but temper expectations. Gotta think Burleson is a solid WR3 play this week, and Titus Young / Scheffler are good 'what the heck' flexes.

Users who are viewing this thread