What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Mad Cow's Italy trip discussion thread (1 Viewer)

Where should we go for our trip?

• Italy

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • France/Paris

Votes: 18 14.3%
  • Other

Votes: 12 9.5%

• Total voters
i guess it comes down to personal preference. i prefer history to art, so The Uffizi isnt my highlight.
:goodposting:

Although for me, art is history. The stories behind the art is what makes them. Since most people at the time were illiterate, the art was their history books.

I wouldn't recommend doing the Uffizi while tired. My wife was pretty tired when we went to the Uffizi, which resulted in me having to be a bit rushed going through it.
Yeah, my wife doesn't enjoy the museums as much as I do so I need her awake with a couple of glasses of wine in her before we go. :D I would need to go alone to really see it as much as I'd like.

oh no question art is history, but there are only so many Madonnas with child i can handle. i prefer teh churches and crypts and structures For some reason. this is what makes Italy so Great. you can pick and choose your preference, but you are living in history no matter. one of my favorites is The room of maps in teh vatican museo. was fascinating to see ancient charts and they werent far off, except For The falling off The planet thing if you got too close to The edge.

What about doing the Accademia on day 1 instead? It's basically just Michelangelo's David (there's other stuff too, but not nearly the depth as there is at the Uffizi). It might be a good way to not lose a day but see something a little less intense.

I am certainly the noob and am open to any and all suggestions.

The reasons I had for 1st day was we were told by others that had traveled to Europe that doing something active to stay moving and awake would be the best way to get over the jet lag. Push through, go to bed at a decent time, and wake up ready to go the next day. I figured Duomo would fit the bill. I had looked at all of the times open and it seemed to work out. Still, I had originally thought just wander that day. We are staying in a room from AirBnB so we can drop off our bags anytime. I put Uffizi and Academia Sunday because I wanted to leave Saturday wide open for some kind of Tuscan tour. I sent a request to Sergio, will hear back in 48 hours he says. ;)

As for the Sorrento, Pompeii, etc. Pompeii is a very short train ride from Sorrento, where our room is. I figured it would make sense, but I guess it depends how long you all would suggest I spend in Pompeii. I have heard it is easily all day, others say 2-3 hours. If only 2-3 hours, we would be able to give another day to Amalfi area and hit it on the way up to Rome, but then we would also have our luggage. Thoughts here are welcome.

Are you both going to be able to sleep on the plane? I couldn't, and I was a mess around 2-3pm that first day and fought through the Vatican museum. I don't think being 90 degrees helped either. Finally got to bed the 1st night there at like 6-7pm. After that nice night of sleep, I was great.

I am certainly the noob and am open to any and all suggestions.

The reasons I had for 1st day was we were told by others that had traveled to Europe that doing something active to stay moving and awake would be the best way to get over the jet lag. Push through, go to bed at a decent time, and wake up ready to go the next day. I figured Duomo would fit the bill. I had looked at all of the times open and it seemed to work out. Still, I had originally thought just wander that day. We are staying in a room from AirBnB so we can drop off our bags anytime. I put Uffizi and Academia Sunday because I wanted to leave Saturday wide open for some kind of Tuscan tour. I sent a request to Sergio, will hear back in 48 hours he says. ;)

As for the Sorrento, Pompeii, etc. Pompeii is a very short train ride from Sorrento, where our room is. I figured it would make sense, but I guess it depends how long you all would suggest I spend in Pompeii. I have heard it is easily all day, others say 2-3 hours. If only 2-3 hours, we would be able to give another day to Amalfi area and hit it on the way up to Rome, but then we would also have our luggage. Thoughts here are welcome.
Pompeii is awesome. We did a guided tour that took 2-3 hours, can't remember exactly, but that hit the highlights. However, our time was limited because we were on a day bus trip from Rome. I would have liked to stay longer, ideally, but I'm not sure you'd want to spend an entire day wandering around either.

I am typically crap for sleep on planes, especially since our long flight to Amsterdam begins like at lunch time our body time. Wife went out and bought some melatonin to try. Any other suggestions on sleeping on planes?

I am typically crap for sleep on planes, especially since our long flight to Amsterdam begins like at lunch time our body time. Wife went out and bought some melatonin to try. Any other suggestions on sleeping on planes?
yes...business class! ;)
If only I wanted to spend the extra $4000 PER TICKET. :hot:
We fly a lot and use American Airlines MasterCard. Mileage pays for most upgrades. Haven't flown coach in over 10 years.

Just plan on taking a nap for a couple hours after you land and you should be able to make it through the rest of that first day.

Planning on doing a day trip to Pompeii/Sorrento from Positano in October. I'm not sure if the private driver stuff is worth it, but for now (and I just sketched this out quickly), plan is to take an early bus from Positano (hour), train from Sorrento to Pompeii (30 mins), spend a few hours there, train back to Sorrento to check out that town, eat at that "Ristorante Bagni Delfino" someone posted about earlier, and then bus back to Positano. Will be one of our busier days down there but we're keeping everything else fairly low key so I think we can handle this.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm late to this party and have only skimmed through this thread. We just got back from our second Med. cruise.

I'd rate the Italian cities that we visited.

Rome-Amazing place if you like history. We had a very good private guide and driver this time and learned so much more this time. This is more $ but they are able to suit the tour to whatever you are interested in. (I can get you the tour guide and the drivers name if interested).

Pompeii- Interesting place. Also went to the top of Mt. Vesuvius. There is another city nearby that is less known than Pompeii and if I go back I want to visit that.

Venice-Was there on last cruise and loved the canals/atmosphere

Florence/Pisa-In fairness our guide here wasn't as good in Rome. That made a big difference. We also were there on the weekend and it was packed (lines everywhere).

Here is another random question - take the nicer camera, or settle for a smaller one? Wife has a nice T3i, but is concerned about it for weight and drawing attention of theft, etc. Would you take the nice one, or use the nice smaller one?

Here is another random question - take the nicer camera, or settle for a smaller one? Wife has a nice T3i, but is concerned about it for weight and drawing attention of theft, etc. Would you take the nice one, or use the nice smaller one?
I usually take both. The nicer one for the more touristy stuff during the day and the smaller, pocket size for random pics while hanging out at night.

Just plan on taking a nap for a couple hours after you land and you should be able to make it through the rest of that first day.
If you can get checked into a room that works. Generally arrive at the hotels early in the AM.

remember, if you arrive too early, you'll be forced to leave your bags in the hotel lobby. i have never had an experience where you are able to check in prior to 2pm.......but there is a trick that costs some money, but is worth it.

i think you said you fly thursday and arrive friday morning. what we had done in the past is book the hotel starting thursday and let them know you are arriving friday AM. this way your room is ready when you arrive and you dont have to wander aimlessly until your room is ready. you just pay the extra night. i think pompeii ca nbe accomplished with a guide in 2-3 hours. you can spend more time there or hit herculaneum, but 2-3 hits the big stuff and the guide keeps you focused. if you get an early start you can hit it on the way up to rome and likely arrive somewhere around 3p. if you can get to pompeii by 10a, leave by 1p. room will be ready.....

If you're open to it, Ativan Also, stay up a little late the night before, try to work out the day of the flight, in other words, be tired getting on the plane. My last flight to Europe was probably at a similar time as the one you're going on. LA-SLC-CDG. Stayed awake until we over the Atlantic, slept a few hours and was fine drink a LOT of water on the plane.

remember, if you arrive too early, you'll be forced to leave your bags in the hotel lobby. i have never had an experience where you are able to check in prior to 2pm.......but there is a trick that costs some money, but is worth it.

i think you said you fly thursday and arrive friday morning. what we had done in the past is book the hotel starting thursday and let them know you are arriving friday AM. this way your room is ready when you arrive and you dont have to wander aimlessly until your room is ready. you just pay the extra night. i think pompeii ca nbe accomplished with a guide in 2-3 hours. you can spend more time there or hit herculaneum, but 2-3 hits the big stuff and the guide keeps you focused. if you get an early start you can hit it on the way up to rome and likely arrive somewhere around 3p. if you can get to pompeii by 10a, leave by 1p. room will be ready.....
Are there places you can stash the bags at the train station?

We're using airbnb for Rome and Barcelona which is saving us money and splurging a bit and staying here in Positano. Anyone been?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194863-d621110-Reviews-Hotel_Buca_di_Bacco-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

http://www.bucadibacco.it/
Positano, yes. The hotel, no. We stayed at the Villa Rosa (same views as Le Sireneuse at a price about 1000% less). Loved the whole trip out there. Things I remember doing out there and would recommend to others:

Amalfi - great town, loved the church.

Ravello - the Belvedere of Infinity was awesome (took buses to get to Amalfi and Ravello - no problems)

Capri - we went straight up to Anacapri and got away from the crowds. Loved it. Went all the way to the summit. Walked back on the long stairway - that, also, was a great experience.

Best restaurant we went to was La Tagliata. Liked it so much we went twice. They'll send a car for you. It has about a thousand great reviews out there and for good reason. Definitely try the after dinner fennel liqueur. I think I can still taste the stuff burning away in my gut. :lol:

I cant sleep on planes and was up the whole flight to Florence. We arrived late afternoon and yes I was exhausted. They tell you not to go to sleep until the normal time to help with jet lag so we went out anyway. I remember getting a bit of a second wind upon arrival though and I was fine. However, mentally, I was still out of it. I wouldn't recommend doing a major museum in the same condition because you wont appreciate it as much and if your flight's delayed at all, you might miss your time slot.

Go out, walk around, eat some gelato and don't do anything that first day that will be too intensive.

Oh and DO NOT nap if you arrive in the morning/afternoon. Trust me. It will #### you up. Power through and stay awake as late as possible night one.

Absolutely. Stay up until normal bedtime and then go to sleep. The next day is so much better that way.

:shrug:

Everyone's different.

We'll sleep from like 1 or 2pm until around 6pm, hang out until around 11pm or so, and get a good 7 or 8 hours sleep and be ready to go the next day. After food and wine for lunch, my wife is like a zombie. I'm not as bad but the nap does the trick.

We're using airbnb for Rome and Barcelona which is saving us money and splurging a bit and staying here in Positano. Anyone been?

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g194863-d621110-Reviews-Hotel_Buca_di_Bacco-Positano_Amalfi_Coast_Campania.html

Positano, yes. The hotel, no. We stayed at the Villa Rosa (same views as Le Sireneuse at a price about 1000% less). Loved the whole trip out there. Things I remember doing out there and would recommend to others:

Ravello - the Belvedere of Infinity was awesome (took buses to get to Amalfi and Ravello - no problems)

Capri - we went straight up to Anacapri and got away from the crowds. Loved it. Went all the way to the summit. Walked back on the long stairway - that, also, was a great experience.

Best restaurant we went to was La Tagliata. Liked it so much we went twice. They'll send a car for you. It has about a thousand great reviews out there and for good reason. Definitely try the after dinner fennel liqueur. I think I can still taste the stuff burning away in my gut. :lol:
Thanks. Already bookmarked the restaurant. Those views are insane. Would you recommend lunch over dinner to take more advantage of the sites, or does it not matter?

Oh and DO NOT nap if you arrive in the morning/afternoon. Trust me. It will #### you up. Power through and stay awake as late as possible night one.

Absolutely. Stay up until normal bedtime and then go to sleep. The next day is so much better that way.
I guess this is highly individualized, but I've never had a problem taking a quick power nap and sleeping at a regular local time that night. I would not be able to function at all after a sleepless night without a little rest.As for early check in, I've had a few places just give me a room despite checking in way early. In any event, they should keep your bags at the front desk - I've never had anyone tell me I have to leave them sitting around in the lobby.

I am NOT a power napper. I take naps rarely, but when I do, I nap hard. I will try to get an hour or so in Amsterdam or on the flight to Florence and then hit it hard. :)

:shrug:

Everyone's different.

We'll sleep from like 1 or 2pm until around 6pm, hang out until around 11pm or so, and get a good 7 or 8 hours sleep and be ready to go the next day. After food and wine for lunch, my wife is like a zombie. I'm not as bad but the nap does the trick.
Yeah, I can't do that. My body wants to do a full REM cycle so waking up a few hours later totally messes with me. I do much better being a little tired and then passing out around 9 or 10.
I work some crazy hours so I guess I'm used to varied sleep schedules. My wife wouldn't make it to 5 or 6, much less 9 or 10. It works out for us...

I'd rather leave with your hotel's bell staff. Those train stations are not somewhere I'd want my belongings for hours on end.

by hotel lobby i mean that they have a room for bags, but....leaving my bags in a random room for several hours while my room is being readied is not a pile of fun.

I'd keep valuables out of those bags but have never had a problem leaving them at the hotel either before my room is ready, or after checking out and before leaving town.

And no offense, but paying for an extra night in a hotel room that you won't use until early morning isn't exactly what I'd call a "trick". :lol:

Here's a tip: Bring a change of clothes, or at least underwear and socks, in a carryon bag in case your luggage doesn't get there with you. It happened to us in Venice but made for an interesting morning the next day. Sitting at the canal side restaurant of our hotel, watching the daily gondola traffic go by as we waited on our luggage was awesome. Lots of arguing and jockeying for position at the docks all yelling at each other in Italian. Then here comes this boat, stacked way high with luggage, we thought it was going to tip over. Fun experience to start our first trip in Italy.

Here's a tip: Bring a change of clothes, or at least underwear and socks, in a carryon bag in case your luggage doesn't get there with you. It happened to us in Venice but made for an interesting morning the next day. Sitting at the canal side restaurant of our hotel, watching the daily gondola traffic go by as we waited on our luggage was awesome. Lots of arguing and jockeying for position at the docks all yelling at each other in Italian. Then here comes this boat, stacked way high with luggage, we thought it was going to tip over. Fun experience to start our first trip in Italy.
Great advice. Being the grim reaper of travel, :lmao: our luggage was delayed a day on that flight I mentioned above.

Once you get off the plane (since they don't allow it), you should be locking your luggage anyways. There are nice sets of locks at stores like Target (can't remember where we actually got them) for very low cost. No worries leaving at a bell room. I doubt you are staying at super sketchy places. Just don't lose the key. :cool:

my .02..... i would take driving out of the equation on this trip. you would indeed need to acquire an international driving permit for 15-, which is good for 1 year from acquisition. you can save money by bringing your pics to an AAA office. FCO is an easy airport to access, with a quick express train from terminal 3 to city centre. my suggestion remains to work with RTI on a private tour. give them your wants and needs and be specific, but with a language barrier, it will be difficult for you to realistically navigate all you need to do. basic information is not so easy when you don't speak or read the language. I am intermediate and the cultural nuisances are tough. things we take for granted here are not as they seem there. heck, you don't want to share a bathroom at a hotel or get stuck without AC. these can occur. let the pro help the first time, then get some experience. make sure you build in down time....do not bite off more than you can chew. you can get overwhelmed quickly and wind up losing time and sights. I would fly to Milan and home from FCO. from Milan I would stay in Lake Como for 1-2 notes. use the first nite to get down to Milan to see the last supper, maybe the opera. spend the next full day on the lake. then head to Venice for 2 nites, but grab a bottle for the train trip, maybe some cheese. Venice is not my favorite, but people like st marks, gondolas, bridge of sighs. from Venice head to Florence for 2. set up a wine taste, get tickets to uffici and accadamia. maybe pitti palace. hang on the ponte vecchio. the duomo is epic. wander...... head thru chianti, stop at vineyards, stay in the area at a castle. the less you need to drive the more you can enjoy drinking. head to Rome for 4 nights. Vatican, other sights, maybe the necropolis. day trip to Pompeii. perhaps a train to Amalfi if you want to extend. Naples to me blows. don't dare drive Amalfi coast, you have a 50/50 of cliff diving. bring euros. act like you are in a big city. be alert. I can offer a multitude of other tips for restaurants, hotels and non touristy stuff if you like. I'm mr meeseeks look at me.
Let me take a look at this and get back to you. Thank you very much.
I second not driving anywhere. It's nuts in Rome, and in Florence you can't even take a car into the city because of zoning laws. You can walk, cab or train anywhere, with a lot less hassle. If you want to go day trips do a tour or get a guide.

If you go to Florence, go to dinner at Trattoria Sostanza and get the Butter Chicken. Trust me on this. It's a life changing meal.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d743678-Reviews-Trattoria_Sostanza_Il_Troia-Florence_Tuscany.html

If you go to Pitti Palace (or even if you don't) right across the road there is awesome, inexpensive pizza. Gusta Pizza. We went twice in a week.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d1155597-Reviews-Gusta_Pizza-Florence_Tuscany.html

And the Florentine steak at this place was off the hook.

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d1908799-Reviews-Antica_Trattoria_da_Tito_dal_1913-Florence_Tuscany.html

Agree with Academia and Uffizi - you might want to get the Firenze card to skip the lines..

http://www.firenzecard.it/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=4&Itemid=105〈=en

If you want to see more of Tuscany - Walkabout Tours Best of Tuscany is awesome - might have been one of the best days of our trip.
www.mytuscanbuddy.com - sergio is fantastic and may be able to assist with your transportation and touring in the area. great english, great guy.

http://www.spaltenna.it/ - stayed here as we travelled from firenze to roma.

our favorite restaurant in firenze is ristorante accademia - http://www.ristoranteaccademia.it/

in rome, there are a zillion restaurants. avoid the tourist areas and the fixed menus. get off the main streets, visit trastevere and the jewish ghetto.

2 of our favorites are - Spaghetteria L'Archetto http://www.spaghetterialarchetto.it/ and Ristorante Il Giardino (Ghetto) http://www.ilgiardinoromano.it/web/
Page 5 and 6 brought down

We decided against the Firenze Card because we were there for a week and the 72 hour thing didn't work for us. Instead went with the Friends of the Uffizi program. Annual pass - still cheaper for our family of 5..

http://www.slowtrav.com/italy/florence/uffizi_membership.htm

And if you don't go get butter chicken at Sostanza I'll never read your sunglass posts again. Also - Walkabout Tours - Tuscany. Do it. And bring money to buy lots of ties. Ridiculous prices for great quality. Gusta pizza when you head over to Pitti Palace. Florentine Steak at 'Tito. Man - I'm jealous. Want to go back.
Oh I am planning on the butter chicken. Do I need to Instagram that joint, as my daughter would say> ;) Is Walkabout Tours a company, site?

Pitti Palace for pizza, 'Tito is another restaurant? Also Grom is for gelato, right?

Tito?

Grom
Up to you if you want to take a full day (out of 3) to do the tour. It's awesome though..

https://www.walkaboutflorence.com/tours/best-tuscany-tour

Sostanza

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d743678-Reviews-Trattoria_Sostanza_Il_Troia-Florence_Tuscany.html

Yes on 'Tito..

Gusta Pizza

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d1155597-Reviews-Gusta_Pizza-Florence_Tuscany.html

Gelato:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g187895-d2075392-Reviews-Gelateria_dei_Neri-Florence_Tuscany.html

My work is done here. Have fun!
In Sorrento we went to this restaurant and it was probably the best meal we had. But like others have said, you can't go wrong, but I would highly recommend it. :thumbup:

A few more

Our luggage was lost on the way over too. Here's another tip: it (was) impossible to rent a car or find a shop that sells women's underwear on a Sunday in Florence.

a couple of more items.....check your credit cards to see who does and does not charge international fees for usage. also, let your card companies know you will be travelling abroad in advance.

make photo copies of your passports. also, keep digital copy on your phone. when we go out touring, we lock up our originals and carry the copies. they use them if you shop for the VAT refund. start checking your cellular plans. if you have ATT they offer international calling plans and text packages. do not roam!!!! turn that feature off.

on iPhone go to

cellular > cellular data (on) > data roaming (off)

this basically means you can only use wifi networks and not cellular networks like wind, tim and Vodafone. that's how people get those 1k bills when travelling.

on iPhone go to

cellular > cellular data (on) > data roaming (off)

this basically means you can only use wifi networks and not cellular networks like wind, tim and Vodafone. that's how people get those 1k bills when travelling.
The wife went to Peru a couple of months ago and we did the Viber thing, will have to reinstall. The downside of that is it kills my battery life. Android here.

I have been doing a few lessons a day using DuoLingo. I am very fluent in Spanish, so looking at a phrase, I can tell you almost exactly what it says. Hearing it is more difficult, but I am hoping that between English, Spanish, and the Italian I am trying to learn, we will have a great experience visiting their country.

a couple of more items.....check your credit cards to see who does and does not charge international fees for usage. also, let your card companies know you will be travelling abroad in advance.
you can also get a prepaid card set up. no worries about fraud etc.

and how is your power converter situation? you need adapters and likely a current converter. you may need to bring a u.s. power strip. I would also go to local hardware store and buy 2 of those gray 3 prong in, 2 prong out things. you can likely get into the italian outlet and hook up the American strip to charge phones, pads, cameras, vibrator, etc.

Chemical X said:
and how is your power converter situation? you need adapters and likely a current converter. you may need to bring a u.s. power strip. I would also go to local hardware store and buy 2 of those gray 3 prong in, 2 prong out things. you can likely get into the italian outlet and hook up the American strip to charge phones, pads, cameras, vibrator, etc.
We grabbed a couple converters already, but good advice on the power bar.

So, Sergio was all booked, so looking at Walkabout Florence now, looking at these options:

Cinque Terre Trek – Italy Tours | Walkabout Florence

The Best of Tuscany Tour in One Day | Walkabout Florence

The Italian Wheels: Bike Tour | Walkabout Florence

Users who are viewing this thread