What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Malaysian plane shot down in Ukraine. (1 Viewer)

So what's up with Russia shooting down a Ukraine military aircraft earlier? This seems like huge news that I didn't hear about until after this plane went down.

Seems like firing on another nation's air force while they are in their own country's airspace would be pretty big news.
Happened about the same time, was probably rebels and not directly Russian military. Similar to the claims Ukraine is making about the airliner.

So what's up with Russia shooting down a Ukraine military aircraft earlier? This seems like huge news that I didn't hear about until after this plane went down.

Seems like firing on another nation's air force while they are in their own country's airspace would be pretty big news.
Happened about the same time, was probably rebels and not directly Russian military. Similar to the claims Ukraine is making about the airliner.
Just going off of what I've read, the claims are that it was air-to-air. The rebels couldn't have done that, right?

Analysts/politicians saying that there's no practical reason that a passenger airline would be purposely shot down in this instance are underestimating what a desperate force is capable of. It very well could be a controlled deteremined action by separatists. If you feel like Russia is not helping you enough and if you feel like they are trying to reach a settlement (and you don't want that) well doing something with this sheer level of horror poisons the well of cooperation - basically you make it impossible for Russia and Ukraine to settle things now. Which, if you're a separatist that wants the war to continue/escalate, is exactly what you want.

This event is just beyond awful.

-QG

Lots of claims on the internet that both CNN and Fox are claiming Russians did it.

GO GET YOUR PITCHFORKS PEOPLE!!! THE MAIN STREEM MEDIA HAS FOUND A WITCH!!!!!

Analysts/politicians saying that there's no practical reason that a passenger airline would be purposely shot down in this instance are underestimating what a desperate force is capable of. It very well could be a controlled deteremined action by separatists. If you feel like Russia is not helping you enough and if you feel like they are trying to reach a settlement (and you don't want that) well doing something with this sheer level of horror poisons the well of cooperation - basically you make it impossible for Russia and Ukraine to settle things now. Which, if you're a separatist that wants the war to continue/escalate, is exactly what you want.

-QG
I understand that reasoning totally.

But I still think it's WAY more reasonable to assume that it was shot down by mistake at this point.

-QG
Plane was at 10000m+ theory just doesn't really hold up.

-QG
I understand that reasoning totally.But I still think it's WAY more reasonable to assume that it was shot down by mistake at this point.
Or the person who pulled the trigger did so on intel supplied by those who wanted to escalate the situation.

-QG
I understand that reasoning totally.But I still think it's WAY more reasonable to assume that it was shot down by mistake at this point.
Or the person who pulled the trigger did so on intel supplied by those who wanted to escalate the situation.
I still think that's a longshot.

Strange thing about these videos (of course I don't claim to be an expert or anything) but wouldn't a jet hit by AA leave a smoke trail on its way down? :confused:
I think there is a faint trace of a smoke trail at the very beginning of the video.
I'm pretty sure he pulled out his phone because he saw a smoking plane headed for the earth. I don't think he was just randomly videoing over in that direction. Unfortunately he didn't start videoing until right before impact.

Strange thing about these videos (of course I don't claim to be an expert or anything) but wouldn't a jet hit by AA leave a smoke trail on its way down? :confused:
I think there is a faint trace of a smoke trail at the very beginning of the video.
I'm pretty sure he pulled out his phone because he saw a smoking plane headed for the earth. I don't think he was just randomly videoing over in that direction. Unfortunately he didn't start videoing until right before impact.
If I see a plane falling to the ground, I'm going to tape it even if there isn't smoke coming out of it. :shrug:

Going back to look, I do see a faint trail. Surprised it wouldn't be bigger though.
Could whatever was on fire have cooled off enough to not produce much smoke during the 30,000ft descent?

-QG
I still think that's a longshot.
Supplies of weapons and intel pretty much go hand in hand.

Last edited by a moderator:
Going back to look, I do see a faint trail. Surprised it wouldn't be bigger though.
Could whatever was on fire have cooled off enough to not produce much smoke during the 30,000ft descent?
That, and the smoke going down is probably going faster/thinner than the large billowing smoke that rises from the crash site.

Just got back from the stores. Grabbed a bunch of duct tape, saltine crackers, rubbing alcohol and bought $400 in whiskey. Stopped at Gander Mountain and put in an order for a Glock and a heavier rifle. Will venture out later in the hopes to score some canned goods on sale. Going to board up my house tonight when it gets dark. Hopefully the city lights do not shine too much on my place. I'm in for the long haul here people. You should be too.

Just got back from the stores. Grabbed a bunch of duct tape, saltine crackers, rubbing alcohol and bought $400 in whiskey. Stopped at Gander Mountain and put in an order for a Glock and a heavier rifle. Will venture out later in the hopes to score some canned goods on sale. Going to board up my house tonight when it gets dark. Hopefully the city lights do not shine too much on my place. I'm in for the long haul here people. You should be too.
Do you have your bug out bag packed yet?

They were saying on the news last night that at this moment in time, there is more conflict in the world than at any time since WWII. This stuff today is crazy.
I thought Obama was bringing "tranquility" to the "global community"?
Is it possible to have a single thread discussing world events in which we don't start attacking Obama? Just one?
I am just happy you have not found a way to drag the tea party into this.

Users who are viewing this thread