What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Man Caves-building one in 2013 (1 Viewer)

brohan do not let these guys get you down have a fun time building it out and you are building it out if you are putting up walls and doing construction i know a lot of tradesmen and they would never say you were not building it and hell most of the guys i know from the bar would call it a man cave and those are the roughest bunch of amigos i have ever laid these old eyes on and would probably beat the living tar out of anyone who told them what they could or could not say so hey so what if some supernerds say that terms is retired well who cares i mean hey most of those guys are just mad because they call there basement my thirty five year old bedromm in my parents house where i live and i have no girlfriend bromigo and tehy are probably mad because one tiem they called it a man cave and there old man said its not your mancave its mine and when are you going to get a job and move out and hey lose a few pounds and maybe the girls will notice you highpants and it made them sad but then mom made it ok by saying its ok honey i still love you do you want some more pizza rolls to shove in your pizza roll hole so go and get it done and be proud of building your man cave brohan take that right to the bank

Part of basement

100X60 on a movie screen. Was just gonna shoot it on the wall but figured as much as I was spending on everything might as well make it sweet.

Furniture all from Lovesac. Beanbags are sweet. But the couch setup is a sectional that you can put in whatever formation you want. And the pieces made it easy to get it downstairs. Recommend sound-proofing the ceiling.

What you can't see is some big entertainment system. We put everything in a box in the furnace room (sound system, xbox, blue-ray, directtv). It all runs off one radio remote. The only thing is a sub-woofer in the left corner.

Hats off to you do-it-yourselfers. :bow:
Your wife must have worked really hard to buy all of that for you.
:yes: :pickle: I could've paid for the remote maybe.

Here are some pics of my basement which I finished in Fall of 2011.

My link

I contracted most of it out except for the design and electrical work, which I did myself.
What are the bar dimensions: The width of the top, the width of the overhang (where the chairs sit under the top), width of the lower level, height of the bar and height to the lower level of the bar (where the sink is). Thanks.

My link

I contracted most of it out except for the design and electrical work, which I did myself.
What are the bar dimensions: The width of the top, the width of the overhang (where the chairs sit under the top), width of the lower level, height of the bar and height to the lower level of the bar (where the sink is). Thanks.
The bar itself is an angled "L" shape that is about 15' in total length. Currently I have 6 stools but I have enough room for another one. It is 42" high with a 22" top and another 5-6" arm rest. The length of the overhang is 11"

Looking for some thoughts on stained concrete.

Something like: http://www.houzz.com/photos/1268317/Riverside-Basement-Renovation-eclectic-basement-atlanta

or: http://www.houzz.com/photos/2208190/Shallow-Pond-traditional-basement-denver

or: http://www.houzz.com/photos/1772419/Meadowview-Basement-eclectic-basement-minneapolis

$2-$5 sq ft. Very easy maintenance and it's unique. On the other hand, it will be cold and not for everyone.
Cold, like temperature? Or cold, like hard/harsh?If the former, you can always run radiant heating in it.

I like it in some uses, but not for a place you want to crash out- it's hard and not forgiving of dropped beer bottles or glasses. If it's a place for shooting pool and drinking- yeah. A place for crashing out watching some TV... not as much. my 2c.

brohan do not let these guys get you down have a fun time building it out and you are building it out if you are putting up walls and doing construction i know a lot of tradesmen and they would never say you were not building it and hell most of the guys i know from the bar would call it a man cave and those are the roughest bunch of amigos i have ever laid these old eyes on and would probably beat the living tar out of anyone who told them what they could or could not say so hey so what if some supernerds say that terms is retired well who cares i mean hey most of those guys are just mad because they call there basement my thirty five year old bedromm in my parents house where i live and i have no girlfriend bromigo and tehy are probably mad because one tiem they called it a man cave and there old man said its not your mancave its mine and when are you going to get a job and move out and hey lose a few pounds and maybe the girls will notice you highpants and it made them sad but then mom made it ok by saying its ok honey i still love you do you want some more pizza rolls to shove in your pizza roll hole so go and get it done and be proud of building your man cave brohan take that right to the bank
HFS. :lmao: :pizzarollhole: Well done SWC.

HFS. :lmao: :pizzarollhole:

Well done SWC.
:lol: bromigo

A cool idea I tossed around when I finished my basement in 2010 was not putting in a drywall or drop ceiling, but actually spraying the "ceiling" black. The duct work, plumbing, joists, canned lighting (if you put it in)...spray it all black. It sounds strange, but it looks really, really cool. And you don't have to worry about any issues with installing the ceiling or leaks damaging your ceiling. To cover up the edges of the top of the drywall, you can put in crown molding.

Dammit. I actually wish I'd have done my ceiling like this instead of a drop ceiling.

Pic 1

More pics

A cool idea I tossed around when I finished my basement in 2010 was not putting in a drywall or drop ceiling, but actually spraying the "ceiling" black. The duct work, plumbing, joists, canned lighting (if you put it in)...spray it all black. It sounds strange, but it looks really, really cool. And you don't have to worry about any issues with installing the ceiling or leaks damaging your ceiling. To cover up the edges of the top of the drywall, you can put in crown molding.

Dammit. I actually wish I'd have done my ceiling like this instead of a drop ceiling.

Pic 1

More pics
What we did...looks really nice and I like it because it's all really accessible if need be.

Pic 1

More pics
What we did...looks really nice and I like it because it's all really accessible if need be.
This is an excellent point and one thing that is potential downside to what we did: put in a hard drywall ceiling. We went drywall/pink insulation for better soundproofing and because I don't like the look of drop ceilings. The walls and ceiling in the theater are double-drywalled with GreenGlue acoustical caulk in between for additional soundproofing. It will make it difficult if I ever have to get inside the ceiling but I don't see me screwing with the ductwork and most of our plumbing is running through the unfinished storage area of our basement anyway.

Last edited by a moderator:
Man cave? Ha! I just bought a man-house! See my thread, will answer yours. Just bought a house in the Pocono mountains. Thing is gonna look like a bar. Already have leather seated bar stools with brass finishes that cost me $600 each. Just me and the doggie. Gonna make Buffalo Wild Wings look like a "man cave". Need more flat panel TV's though.
Can we be friends?

Pic 1

More pics
Big fan- as long as everything's up high enough to not risk getting whacked by the kids or drunk friends. this is exactly what I recommended to Rapidfireweasel when he was renovating his studio/store space.

This thread may provide some good information.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=453350&st=0
Thanks, I'll read it over. Some great pics and ideas. I am worried because only about 15 percent of basements where I live are dry. I bought one but last summer was drought conditions so I didn't see any huge rains. I want to do electrical and put in one wall and perhaps the drop down ceiling before summer just to be safe. Perhaps put up the 2 x4s as well. I don't really want to put up the dry wall before I am sure there will be no water at all.
Why don't you make sure the basement is waterproofed before you finish it? I bought our house in 2010 and redid the footer drains and exterior coating of the basement walls two months ago. Finishing a basement that has potential water issues is a really bad idea. I am loving this thread. Now that my basment is dry, I am going to start finishing my basement this fall. The ideas and suggestions posted so far are quite helpful. OP, Do what you want with your basement. Finish your basement into a mancave, theater room, game room, TV room, play room, music room,etc. Initially, the room I am finishing will be a TV/music/play room with a killer sound system since my daughter is almost 3. As she gets older, the room will be transformed into a theater room.

:confused:

I assembled the crib/bed that resides in our daughter's room. I did not "build a nursery."

Also, I'm starving for some pizza rolls now.
Dude...come on.Framing basement walls, framing windows/doors, hanging sheetrock, finishing the sheetrock, running electric, running plumbing for a wet bar, installing lights, laying carpet, rerouting duct work for heat/air....that is building. It's the same thing a contractor would do. Is that not "building" to you? Really?

Agreed on the pizza rolls.

'Al Czervik said:
'Pick said:
'Al Czervik said:
:blackdot: Just bought a new house and finishing the basement is definately a project on the horizon.
We waited a few years. Wish I would've done it right away.
Only takes time and money. Never enough of either.
That's what I mean though. Like I would've gone into debt to do this earlier if I knew it was going to be this cool (went into a lot of debt anyway).But I got four kids so the impact of doing it was probably greater than smaller fams.

'BroncoFreak_2K3 said:
'doowain said:

Pic 1

More pics
it looks awesome brohan nice work man but what about stopping sound i insulated between my joists and you cannot hear anything through the floor which is good because downstairs generally gets noisy and such so riddle me that how did you deal with the noise brochacho

'doowain said:

Pic 1

More pics
I was considering doing this when I finish my basement in the spring/summer. One advantage for me to doing the ceiling this way is that it can't be counted as living space for property tax calculation because it has to have some type of drywall or drop down ceiling to be considered living space.

'doowain said:

Pic 1

More pics
That is a GREAT idea. Thanks

This thread may provide some good information.http://forums.footballguys.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=453350&st=0
Thanks, I'll read it over. Some great pics and ideas. I am worried because only about 15 percent of basements where I live are dry. I bought one but last summer was drought conditions so I didn't see any huge rains. I want to do electrical and put in one wall and perhaps the drop down ceiling before summer just to be safe. Perhaps put up the 2 x4s as well. I don't really want to put up the dry wall before I am sure there will be no water at all.
Why don't you make sure the basement is waterproofed before you finish it? I bought our house in 2010 and redid the footer drains and exterior coating of the basement walls two months ago. Finishing a basement that has potential water issues is a really bad idea. I am loving this thread. Now that my basment is dry, I am going to start finishing my basement this fall. The ideas and suggestions posted so far are quite helpful. OP, Do what you want with your basement. Finish your basement into a mancave, theater room, game room, TV room, play room, music room,etc. Initially, the room I am finishing will be a TV/music/play room with a killer sound system since my daughter is almost 3. As she gets older, the room will be transformed into a theater room.
My purpose is to have a pool room that you can watch football in. And toys on the ground at times too. I am planning on doing everything that I can be done working around any moisture. I really think it will be dry but I can't be 100 percent.

:confused:I assembled the crib/bed that resides in our daughter's room. I did not "build a nursery."Also, I'm starving for some pizza rolls now.
that is some crappy bait man putting together a crib is a lot differnet than building walls running wire drywalling and so on i mean come on i am pretty handy but i just hate drywalling that is some work right there man but hey end ofthe day good onyou for actually puting the crib together i know of people that ctually paid someone to show up and put the crib together what a bunch of wussbags from the planet wussatron take that to the bank brochacho and do not eat pizza rolls too much or you will get a jelly roll belly my man

Under stairs

Garage

First pic is under the stairs in basement. Normally this would be storage. But the second pic is in the garage. We had them build some huge shelves. Nothing pretty but very functional and heavy duty. There is another spot in the garage we did this as well. So all that storage space we needed in the basement was now open. And so we took something little like the are under the stairs and made it a play space for the girls. They love it. It's a great place for little girl relatives to hang out in for hours. We did the same to another room that was supposed to be storage and now it is basically a big lego room.

Anyway, the shelves in the garage were something we wouldn't have thought of but were a major impact on basement usage.

Pic 1

More pics
it looks awesome brohan nice work man but what about stopping sound i insulated between my joists and you cannot hear anything through the floor which is good because downstairs generally gets noisy and such so riddle me that how did you deal with the noise brochacho
Stuffed dead hookers in between the joists broskiev.

Cigars and scotch are not your thing?!Love that humidor.
When I was designing my basement I gave serious thought to putting in a smoking room that would have a couple leather chairs, a top notch smoke eater vented to the outside, and a separate A/C & heater to keep it sealed from the rest of the house. I decided against it because, while I like a good cigar, I only smoke one a week and thought it would be a waste of space. I also thought it could also be a negative selling point if/when I ever put the house up for sale. Instead the smoking room became a workout room.I did go ahead with a Mr. Slim A/C & heating unit for the theater so it doesn't share any ductwork with the rest of the house. It was a good decision because you can blast the sound in the theater and it doesn't travel to other parts of the house.

Cigars and scotch are not your thing?!Love that humidor.
When I was designing my basement I gave serious thought to putting in a smoking room that would have a couple leather chairs, a top notch smoke eater vented to the outside, and a separate A/C & heater to keep it sealed from the rest of the house. I decided against it because, while I like a good cigar, I only smoke one a week and thought it would be a waste of space. I also thought it could also be a negative selling point if/when I ever put the house up for sale. Instead the smoking room became a workout room.I did go ahead with a Mr. Slim A/C & heating unit for the theater so it doesn't share any ductwork with the rest of the house. It was a good decision because you can blast the sound in the theater and it doesn't travel to other parts of the house.
I would imagine most people would be using a split ductless A/C system in these spaces, for a variety of reasons. What did the rest of you guys use?

My link

Very cool. :thumbup: Had a similar sort of bar in my original plans, but loudspeakers took precedence. Love the chairs - looked at some like that but the damn tight U-shaped staircase meant they wouldn't make it down. :hot:

Users who are viewing this thread