What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Manhattan Trip Advice (1 Viewer)

BigJohn

Footballguy
So, taking my daughter on some school visits next week. We will be in Boston on Monday and Tuesday, Rhode Island on Wednesday and the heading to visit NYU on Thursday.

I’ve driven in downtown Boston before but Manhattan is a whole other animal.

Looking for advice on parking at a train station and going into Manhattan that way?

We are staying at SoHo 54 on 6th and Watts.

Advice or thoughts? TIA

So, taking my daughter on some school visits next week. We will be in Boston on Monday and Tuesday, Rhode Island on Wednesday and the heading to visit NYU on Thursday.

Looking for advice on parking at a train station and going into Manhattan that way?

Advice or thoughts? TIA
I always use this bus park and ride right outside the lincoln tunnel. Here's the schedule. Cost $10 which includes parking and the round trip bus ticket. $6.50 for each additional round trip ticket. Takes you through the tunnel and to the port authority bus terminal. From there just jump on the subway. Bus comes every 15-20 minutes. Best combination of convenience and affordability I've found. I think its only 24 hour parking though. Not sure what happens if you overstay. I think they might let Dirty Mike and the Boys use your car as soup kitchen. You ain't gonna want that car back after they're done with it.

Yes, it's much easier.

Streets are straight, avenues are wide, one way streets go in logical patterns. All of this unlike Boston. If you can drive in Boston, NYC is no problem.

Find a garage near the hotel, or call the hotel and ask for parking options. It might be a LOT cheaper to park and ride, but if you only there for a couple days, that might be a big pain in the butt.

coming down from RI?

it's a drop in the overall bucket, but if you drive down the east river instead of through NJ, you'll avoid whatever the GW/Tunnel tolls are these days. Might be cheaper parking options in Queens or Brooklyn and then Uber or subway (depending on your comfort level on the subway... although if the kid is applying to NYU, you should normalize it asap) in to your spot. maybe even parking at Laguardia?

Best way (imho) is to park at one of the big 3 airports and taking the air train in. The car will be relatively safer than leaving at a train station.

So, plans made.

Parking in Danbury. Garage there is $15/day. Taking the train in and out of Manhattan.

NYU tour on Thursday.
Looking at Ferry trip and tour of the Statue of Liberty on Friday.

Must try food spots near NYU or the hotel on 6th @ Watts?

My wife and I went to Manhattan for 3 days this Summer.

Coolest place we ate that was unlike anything I've ever experienced was Nom Wah Tea Parlor in Chinatown. They specialize in Dim sum and dumplings. Felt like I was sitting in Hong Kong.

Also, if you go to the MET, make your way to the rooftop. Very cool views looking over the treetops of Central Park. They serve drinks up there, too.

So, plans made.

Parking in Danbury. Garage there is $15/day. Taking the train in and out of Manhattan.

NYU tour on Thursday.

Danbury is pretty easy. That garage is easy walking distance to the station. Station is tiny, so no issues there. Depending on which train, you might need to switch trains in South Norwalk, which can be a minor hassle.

If you're in Danbury for a little bit, the train station is probably less than a mile from TK's American Cafe, which has damn good wings. Train station is also right near Western Connecticut State University, but if NYU is a realistic option, you can definitely do better than WCSU.

So, plans made.

NYU tour on Thursday.

Danbury is pretty easy. That garage is easy walking distance to the station. Station is tiny, so no issues there. Depending on which train, you might need to switch trains in South Norwalk, which can be a minor hassle.

If you're in Danbury for a little bit, the train station is probably less than a mile from TK's American Cafe, which has damn good wings. Train station is also right near Western Connecticut State University, but if NYU is a realistic option, you can definitely do better than WCSU.
I remember when TK’s had a spot in New Haven. Taking the train into NYC is the way to go from New England, but is there not a station w/ free parking on the Metro North New Haven line? I used to park in Milford when I went. It wasn’t free, but they never checked, and I expected to see a ticket when I got back

Also, if you go to the MET, make your way to the rooftop. Very cool views looking over the treetops of Central Park. They serve drinks up there, too.
Yeah. That was a great spot after walking a bit in the park after brunch and then walking in the Met. Wife and I had a couple drinks up there.

My recommendation for Brunch…Jacob’s Pickles on the upper west side if you get up that way vs staying around NYU. Be ready to eat… Loved the whole vibe around that area. A second trip we found Big Gay Ice Cream up there (have a couple other locations I think)

Advice or thoughts? TIA
how'd it go?

Going to NYC with the family for a few days next month for the first time. Kids are both in college. Is two full days enough (fly in Sat night, fly out Tue morning)? Or would three days be better?

Any suggestions for things to do are definitely welcome.

Going to NYC with the family for a few days next month for the first time. Kids are both in college. Is two full days enough (fly in Sat night, fly out Tue morning)? Or would three days be better?

Check out the NY thread... Lots and lots there.

2 vs 3... More about what kinds of things you want/like to do when you're here. You could spend that entire time seeing art. Or theater. Or architecture. Or bands. Or sports. Or eating. Or ... Whatever things you and your family like to do. 2 is going to feel rushed though... Unless you're not that into stuff and just want to see some highlights.

Advice or thoughts? TIA
how'd it go?

As for the college tours, she like Boston U. Liked the curriculum, the campus was a downtown campus, but it didn't overwhelm her. She would be a 30 minute train ride from my Mom, so that helped.

She loved Brown. The curriculum, the campus, everything. She's definitely top tier academically, but we need to work on how to make her stand out.

She hated NYU. Just couldn't see herself in the middle of Manhattan. She's a bit of an introvert, so she was pretty uncomfortable the whole time.

The trip to NYC:
Took the train in from Danbury. Nice, 2 hour train ride.
Arrived at Grand Central Station at about 9 pm. Spent an hour checking it out. Walked out on Park Ave to a homeless guy fistfight. Good first impression on my daughter, lol.
I've never done the subway before and it was late so I just got a Lyft to the hotel.
The hotel, Soho 54, sits at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, so I was nervous it would be pretty loud. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared.
Got to the hotel and asked where we could grab a quick bite. Guy recommended the deli across the street, Varrick's Marketplace. Loved the food. Got subs that night and went there for breakfast sandwiches the other 2 days.
Tour was ok. NYU is obviously not a traditional college campus. My daughter just didn't jive with it.
Daughter wanted to try Korean corn dogs. Picked up a couple from 2 hands. Meh.
Figured out how easy the subway is using Google maps and headed to Times Square. Hit a few touristy spots, then went to Joe's pizza. Great pizza.
Got up Friday morning and we decided that after 3 college tours and about 12 miles of walking, we just headed back. Caught the train, picked up the car in Danbury and made it back home at about 2:30 am.

Check out the NY thread... Lots and lots there.

2 vs 3... More about what kinds of things you want/like to do when you're here. You could spend that entire time seeing art. Or theater. Or architecture. Or bands. Or sports. Or eating. Or ... Whatever things you and your family like to do. 2 is going to feel rushed though... Unless you're not that into stuff and just want to see some highlights.
I definitely want to go back. Really only got to see Times Square. So much more I'd like to see. I definitely feel like its a 2 person type of trip. Getting family of 5 around would be a little crazy.

Advice or thoughts? TIA
how'd it go?

As for the college tours, she like Boston U. Liked the curriculum, the campus was a downtown campus, but it didn't overwhelm her. She would be a 30 minute train ride from my Mom, so that helped.

She loved Brown. The curriculum, the campus, everything. She's definitely top tier academically, but we need to work on how to make her stand out.

She hated NYU. Just couldn't see herself in the middle of Manhattan. She's a bit of an introvert, so she was pretty uncomfortable the whole time.

The trip to NYC:
Arrived at Grand Central Station at about 9 pm. Spent an hour checking it out. Walked out on Park Ave to a homeless guy fistfight. Good first impression on my daughter, lol.
I've never done the subway before and it was late so I just got a Lyft to the hotel.
The hotel, Soho 54, sits at the entrance to the Holland Tunnel, so I was nervous it would be pretty loud. It wasn't nearly as bad as I feared.
Got to the hotel and asked where we could grab a quick bite. Guy recommended the deli across the street, Varrick's Marketplace. Loved the food. Got subs that night and went there for breakfast sandwiches the other 2 days.
Tour was ok. NYU is obviously not a traditional college campus. My daughter just didn't jive with it.
Figured out how easy the subway is using Google maps and headed to Times Square. Hit a few touristy spots, then went to Joe's pizza. Great pizza.
Got up Friday morning and we decided that after 3 college tours and about 12 miles of walking, we just headed back. Caught the train, picked up the car in Danbury and made it back home at about 2:30 am.
sounds like a perfect trip... saw and did stuff and figured out a lot. plus a free boxing match. we've got a korean corn dog place a block away that people line up for... no interest. and good for you for braving the subway- super easy and very little worries these days (had a rough time during/post covid when it became the wild west down there... but better now).

NYU... the wife just told me it has more applicants than any of the ivies. that's insane... not sure what happened to make it so popular. definitely not a typical college experience given the location and lack of campus. I had friends go there- all actors, so it was the right place for them. fish's kid is wrapping up her first year there- if it was still in your/her radar (sounds like its not) you could reach out.

I went to Columbia- much more of a campus/university feel while still being in the city (but not smack dab in the middle of everything). but curriculum-wise is a polar opposite from brown- so even if thinking about it, I'd stop thinking about it given your daughter's love of Brown's curriculm. (you didn't visit, so probably not thinking about it anyways). we might be visiting brown over the next couple weeks- son is a HS sophomore and the wife is a massive planner. while the legacy thing would be huge at columbia, the overwrought liberal arts requirements (your major is more like a minor at most schools- it's a lot of liberal arts) aren't his scene.

my wife's niece is wrapping up her 2nd year at BU- LOVES it. came from strict/catholic home and is finally getting to let loose. she stayed there over the summer and will do so again.. .lol... never going home probably. besides the partying, she was always a good student and her folks prioritized education- so I'm sure it's tip-top there.

I went to college in Boston, such a blast. Twas the 90's however.

My favorite thing about going there was there are so many colleges there, with soo many students, that you wind up hanging out with people from many different schools. It's still small enough that the college kids all get funneled to the same areas (unlike NYC) . Got to hang out with some wicked smaht kids from Hahvad, then hang out with MIT kids, and find out what smart actually was. Emerson, Tufts, BC, Northeastern, lot of people to meet there.

BU is super diverse, and has best location of all the colleges.

I went to college in Boston, such a blast. Twas the 90's however.

My favorite thing about going there was there are so many colleges there, with soo many students, that you wind up hanging out with people from many different schools. It's still small enough that the college kids all get funneled to the same areas (unlike NYC) . Got to hang out with some wicked smaht kids from Hahvad, then hang out with MIT kids, and find out what smart actually was. Emerson, Tufts, BC, Northeastern, lot of people to meet there.

BU is super diverse, and has best location of all the colleges.
Students get $7 Red Sox tickets as well....:pickle:

Advice or thoughts? TIA
how'd it go?

The trip to NYC:
sounds like a perfect trip... saw and did stuff and figured out a lot. plus a free boxing match. we've got a korean corn dog place a block away that people line up for... no interest. and good for you for braving the subway- super easy and very little worries these days (had a rough time during/post covid when it became the wild west down there... but better now).

NYU... the wife just told me it has more applicants than any of the ivies. that's insane... not sure what happened to make it so popular. definitely not a typical college experience given the location and lack of campus. I had friends go there- all actors, so it was the right place for them. fish's kid is wrapping up her first year there- if it was still in your/her radar (sounds like its not) you could reach out.

I went to Columbia- much more of a campus/university feel while still being in the city (but not smack dab in the middle of everything). but curriculum-wise is a polar opposite from brown- so even if thinking about it, I'd stop thinking about it given your daughter's love of Brown's curriculm. (you didn't visit, so probably not thinking about it anyways). we might be visiting brown over the next couple weeks- son is a HS sophomore and the wife is a massive planner. while the legacy thing would be huge at columbia, the overwrought liberal arts requirements (your major is more like a minor at most schools- it's a lot of liberal arts) aren't his scene.

my wife's niece is wrapping up her 2nd year at BU- LOVES it. came from strict/catholic home and is finally getting to let loose. she stayed there over the summer and will do so again.. .lol... never going home probably. besides the partying, she was always a good student and her folks prioritized education- so I'm sure it's tip-top there.

@BigJohn roverkid absolutely loved her first year at NYU. she's a film student though, so NYU is a great fit for her. looks like she's moving out of the dorms and sharing an apartment in soho next year. feel free to ask whatever you want, but if your daughter is looking for a more traditional college experience, NYU might not be the best choice.

Advice or thoughts? TIA
how'd it go?

The trip to NYC:
I had a choice between Columbia and BU for grad school and chose BU mostly because it was a 2 year program vs. 3. Boston is a great college town and I met my best friend, but my contemporaries at Columbia had better careers in the field of study due to instant industry inroads. So if she goes to BU tell her to start working on the Rolodex day 1. And to eat often at the Deli Haus in Kenmore Square.

Users who are viewing this thread