What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Martellus Bennett - playing musical chairs with the NFL (1 Viewer)

JuniorNB said:
If Brady was playing, I'd consider Bennett with Gronk being less than 100%. But not with Garapolo. Especially at Arizona.
Why especially at Arizona? The Cardinals have historically been pretty poor against the TE. You'd have to figure they'll try and focus on Gronk, which should open things up a bit for Bennett. I'm not expecting a huge game from him, but a 4/60 line doesn't seem outrageous.

I'm going Cook over Bennett

I am taking a wait and see approach on Bennett. I want to see his usage before I trust him.

Not that trusting Cook is a vastly greater option......

TartanLion said:
Anybody starting him his week ? I drafted him late and would prefer to wait and see for a week but tbh I don't feel like making room on my roster for another TE off the wire. 

Also, Gronk is limited in practise. I'm sure he'll play but maybe Martellus gets involved quickly and they use Gronk a it more sparingly this week. 

TartanLion said:
Anybody starting him his week ? I drafted him late and would prefer to wait and see for a week but tbh I don't feel like making room on my roster for another TE off the wire.
In one league I have Bennett or Ebron.....going Bennett. In addition, for my first ever DFS lineup......he's in at TE.

Unless you have a more obvious option why not?  Playing extremely well and has Brady who looked to him in the preseason also. 

I'm starting him over Fleener and Barnidge.  

Disclaimer: I am 1 and 3 despite owning Antonio,  Julio,  and AJ in PPR because I start the wrong TE every week. 

I'm starting him over Fleener and Barnidge.  

Disclaimer: I am 1 and 3 despite owning Antonio,  Julio,  and AJ in PPR because I start the wrong TE every week. 
How is this even possible? Those are the first 3 WRs off the board in every draft (other than maybe OBJ). 

So anyone going to start him this week?
Jimmy Graham and Coby Fleener are on bye, so yep.

As a Gronk owner in another league, unfortunately he really doesn't look back to 100% just yet. Because of that I think that Bennett will get a lot of looks for another week at least.

I have to choose between Bennett and gronk....I'm sure i'll guess wrong, but if the info coming out is positive re: gronk being gronk then I will bench Bennett.  having said that, I don't expect any info coming out of NE.  so, I will likely just flip a coin.

In one league with byes, I'll be starting all 3 TEs from this game. Gronk, Marty and Gary.  I can (wishfully) see all 3 having a good game. 

For now, I think Bennett > Gronk. Gronk has pretty much come out and said he isn't close to healthy yet and his hamstring injury is limiting what he can do. Not sure what people have for other options, but at this point I would want to see Gronk actually do something productive before I keep rolling him out there expecting 6-120-2 and ending up with 1-12-0.

Bennett has been hot and cold without Brady. I wonder what Brady would do to his numbers? He's got high upside with Brady and the Gronk situation not materializing.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm playing him as my flex.  Half my team is on a bye.  Cleveland is not good vs. TE's, and the reports on Gronk this week are not good.  He could go for 1-12, or 7-90-2.  No idea.

ESPN’s Adam Schefter reports that Martellus Bennett (ankle) will play today against Buffalo.
Despite sitting out practice on Friday, Martellus Bennett will play against the Bills. While his weekly ceiling has not evaporated, Bennett’s steadily declining role in the offense makes him a high-risk fringe TE1 at this point.

Source: Adam Schefter on Twitter 
Oct 30 - 1:31 AM

What happened to this dude yesterday? With Gronk out, should have been one of the TE starts of the week. Brady throws 280/4 and he has 1 measly catch for 14 yards  :yucky:

Brutal. Went over 100 yards against Seattle last week. I figured he must have gotten hurt but I guess there was something very game-specific that led to him blocking a lot maybe?
 I think Brady and Edelman thought it would be "cool" if they both returned to play in Bay area where they grew up and had a huge game. Certainly seemed like it yesterday.

I was wondering things to myself yesterday like did Marty B swat away the first contract offer from NE so Bill made him pay? Sound conspiratorial but this team has always seemed quick to rid themselves of players who they think they will have issues signing.

Reality is the most likely thing is that he's simply a TE version of Vereen. Game plan specific but we'll never know the gameplan until it's to late. The kind of guy if you started every week things would probably even out but if you are picking and choosing when to use him can either work out tremendous or horrendous. I got leagues with him that run that gamut.

I think Brady and Edelman thought it would be "cool" if they both returned to play in Bay area where they grew up and had a huge game. Certainly seemed like it yesterday.

I was wondering things to myself yesterday like did Marty B swat away the first contract offer from NE so Bill made him pay? Sound conspiratorial but this team has always seemed quick to rid themselves of players who they think they will have issues signing.

Reality is the most likely thing is that he's simply a TE version of Vereen. Game plan specific but we'll never know the gameplan until it's to late. The kind of guy if you started every week things would probably even out but if you are picking and choosing when to use him can either work out tremendous or horrendous. I got leagues with him that run that gamut.
Great observation.  Edelman gets 17 targets.  

Killed me
He's been killing me all year with his back and forth production.  With Gronk out again figured this past Sunday was a no-brainer start.  Now I gotta decide if I'm ready to roll the dice on him this week with Gronk reported to be out again.  My other options are Witten and Gates.

Last edited by a moderator:
I predict that (1) Bennett will not put up the numbers you stupidly defined as his floor, (2) you will not back up your prediction with a $100 bet, and (3) you're going to somehow blame me for this.

You can either PM me to nail down the specifcs on the bet you offered when you opened your fat mouth, or shut up about it.  If you truly believe that those numbers represent his floor, let's boogie.  Otherwise I'm done here.
" I'd put his floor at his 2013 season with Chicago... 65 catches, 750 yards, 5 TD's.  I'd anticipate numbers 20-30% greater than that. "

You came around to tell me that I'm an idiot, when he missed your FLOOR by 13 catches and 82 yards. 

Yeah, you really showed me...

Good for the Black Unicorn!   I'm still a little underwhelmed by the fantasy implications.  It seems that GB has been ripe to produce a fantasy TE star and it just hasn't happened.  Big winner Rodgers?

Martellus Bennett says he's made a concerted effort to connect with Aaron Rodgers off the field and during OTA practices.

In addition to sending text messages to Rodgers, Bennett is picking his brain on the practice field. "I’m always talking to him on the field, too, trying to see what he wants," Bennett said. "(I’ll say), ‘Hey, how did that look?’ or he’ll give me the thumbs up. Or if I’m in another group, I always look back at him, ‘Hey, is that what you want? Is there something different you want on this?’" Rodgers is a known stickler for details. Bennett will offer a high TD ceiling in a Packers offense which has averaged 36.3 passing scores per season over the past three years.

Source: Wisconsin State Journal

He's gonna be a beast in Green Bay
Count me in the he'll-do-all-right-but-not-great category.

Here are the Packers combining totals from all their TE's each year in the 5 seasons with Nelson as a starting WR:

2016: 64-683-3 (highest ranked fantasy TE: TE 36)
2014: 51-551-6 (TE 26)
2013: 70-762-6 (TE 37)
2012: 77-938-5 (TE 17)
2011: 67-858-10 (TE 5)

Rodgers ranked TE 9 in 2015 (with Nelson hurt. I am not sure Bennett puts up better numbers than he did in his one season in NE (55-701-7). IMO, he's probably somewhere in the mix near the bottom of the fantasy TE starters, but I doubt he will be a fantasy difference maker. In expert leagues, his ADP, which is probably around where he should be.

I think the only way he sees a bigger chunk of the offense is if one of the main receivers went down with an injury and missed a decent amount of the season.

thing is ... Rodgers hasn't had this good a TE ... they're got a questioable running game with rookies and if there is one injury to Jordy or Cobb etc .... Bennett will be the beneficiary

too many good things in this situation not to love IMO

Users who are viewing this thread